PDA

View Full Version : Foster adding some depth to Steelers' o-line

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 07:18 AM
If Ramon Foster was a basketball player, he'll be that wide body off the bench muscling inside for a rebound, then collecting a hard-earned basket that seemingly doesn't matter until the end.

It's been that way for the former Tennessee Volunteers offensive lineman since the Steelers inked him to a free-agent contract in 2009.

Foster arrived at the South Side complex an unheralded line prospect. The 6-foot-6, 325-pounder was dwarfed by more celebrated SEC linemen — including Baltimore Ravens' offensive tackle Michael Oher............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761376.html

The Duke
10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Foster doesn't seek attention. He doesn't complain when he's benched -- even when he appears to play better than Kemoeatu and Legursky.

"I worry a lot less about starting and playing time than I do winning," said Foster, who started eight times last season for the injured Kemoeatu and Trai Essex. "We just want to be efficient so we can run the ball, which opens up our offense."

True team player right there

I have no worries when Foster has to fill in. He may not be great, but the man does his job at 100%, which is much more than I can say for Kemo

Even if we draft top guard in the next two years I hope Foster sticks as that 6th man

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2011, 12:22 AM
The sad thing is that Foster could not beat out Legursky as the starting RG at the start of this season. He is up and down so much, I sure hope we find a solid free agent in the offseason to play RG.

Steelers havent found a good FA since the Jeff Hartings or Wayne Gandy signings, but I hope we get some help next year.

zulater
10-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Foster and Legurskey are great guys to have on the roster because of their versatility and ability to play both sides of the line and to come in cold and do the job. But neither is a true NFL starter. Gives teams a week to game plan against them and their tendencies and they'll generally be found somewhat lacking. The Steelers should imo sign a veteran free agent guard this offseason that is a proven quality NFL starter.

Chidi29
10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm not a big fan of Foster but I'll give him credit. I thought he's done a good job this year. He's looking much more consistent off the snap which was a big concern of mine last year. He doesn't always get a good jump and can't get a push. Pass protection hasn't been that bad either.

But like you guys said and I've said in the past, these aren't long-term starters and guys whose flaws eventually shine through. RG has been a huge issue for years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Pass protection hasn't been that bad either.

. You are right, but the one play where Ben got hit last week and managed to hang onto the football while getting sacked........Foster pass blocked like a matador.

Chidi29
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
You are right, but the one play where Ben got hit last week and managed to hang onto the football while getting sacked........Foster pass blocked like a matador.

You're right that it's not perfect but compared to Essex and Legursky, the other guys we've tried at RG, he looks like Jahari Evans.