PDA

View Full Version : On The Steelers: Will the team's run of success change Mendenhall's role?

Galax Steeler
10-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Rashard Mendenhall will return to practice this week, but will head coach Mike Tomlin return him to his starting job at halfback?

The question was put to Tomlin Tuesday and he sidestepped it, giving a noncommittal response after the Steelers' best ground game production of the season Sunday using two backup runners.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11285/1181374-66.stm#ixzz1aYgjGKPF

Count Steeler
10-12-2011, 05:18 AM
This is where Tomlin has to be able to gauge Mendy's psyche. If he is a disgruntled little boy, than sit him 1 more week. If he is a hungry lion, let him loose.

suitanim
10-12-2011, 05:23 AM
If he's NOT a "hungry lion" after watching Redman continually run over Titans and fight for yards, then he's never gonna be one...

zulater
10-12-2011, 05:49 AM
If he's NOT a "hungry lion" after watching Redman continually run over Titans and fight for yards, then he's never gonna be one...

One would hope.

But I think he also needs to adjust his running style. He loves to bounce the play out to the strong side if the original hole isn't there. In the past two seasons it's worked very well for him more often than not. The reason most likely being that Willie Colon (2009) and last year Flozell were dominating and collapsing that side of the defensive line, so he usually had a good edge. This year no so much, actually at all. So I don't know?

Edman
10-12-2011, 06:58 AM
When Redman and Dwyer were kicking Titan Ass, Mendenhall seemed to be...rather unhappy on the sideline.

zulater
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
When Redman and Dwyer were kicking Titan Ass, Mendenhall seemed to be...rather unhappy on the sideline.

That was my impression too.

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 09:12 AM
They kept showing his face after every run. :lol:

Then, when Redman went out with the cramps, they showed him jumping around on the sideline like he was getting ready to have his named called.

zulater
10-12-2011, 09:17 AM
They kept showing his face after every run. :lol:

Then, when Redman went out with the cramps, they showed him jumping around on the sideline like he was getting ready to have his named called.

I noticed that as well. It suggests to me that his being held out of the game might have been as much about sending a message as to preserving his health.

zulater
10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
They need to get Duce in to coach Mendy on how to support your teammates from the sidelines! :lol:

43Hitman
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
They need to get Duce in to coach Mendy on how to support your teammates from the sidelines! :lol:

Best RB in sweats we've ever had.

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Best RB in sweats we've ever had.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/duce1.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
When Redman and Dwyer were kicking Titan Ass,

Take away the 1 big run by Dwyer and the statline reads:

Dwyer: 10 carries for 21 yards, 2.1 YPC
Redman: 15 carries for 49 yards, 3.3 YPC
Combined 25 carries for 70 yards, 2.8 YPC

One could say that the O line executed 1 great running play and for the rest of the running game was average or below.

HollywoodSteel
10-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Take away the 1 big run by Dwyer and the statline reads:

Dwyer: 10 carries for 21 yards, 2.1 YPC
Redman: 15 carries for 49 yards, 3.3 YPC
Combined 25 carries for 70 yards, 2.8 YPC

One could say that the O line executed 1 great running play and for the rest of the running game was average or below.

Yes, but you could say that about a lot of games where say a guy like Chris Johnson has one 80 yard run and ends up running for 130 or something. Well, take that one run away and...
But it doesn't really work that way. You keep pounding away so that you have the opportunity for that one big run. If you end up getting it -- success.

But if your point is that over the course of the game, you feel that the O-line didn't do that good a job of run blocking, I suppose you may be right. Although once we got the big lead, theTitans kind of focused on stopping the run. But that's not exactly what this thread is about. While watching the game I saw Redman fight on every play. He got a couple of yards when Mendy would have gotten nothing, and he got back to the line when Mendy would have danced for a loss. He ran with purpose and desire, and that's the thing that we haven't been seeing out of Mendy. I'm not worried about the times when the O-line blows open a big hole like on the Dwyer run... hell Mendy probably would have scored on that play. It's the times when there isn't much there that you need a back with heart and legs that keep churning to make something happen.

stillers4me
10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes, but you could say that about a lot of games where say a guy like Chris Johnson has one 80 yard run and ends up running for 130 or something. Well, take that one run away and...
But it doesn't really work that way. You keep pounding away so that you have the opportunity for that one big run. If you end up getting it -- success.

But if your point is that over the course of the game, you feel that the O-line didn't do that good a job of run blocking, I suppose you may be right. Although once we got the big lead, theTitans kind of focused on stopping the run. But that's not exactly what this thread is about. While watching the game I saw Redman fight on every play. He got a couple of yards when Mendy would have gotten nothing, and he got back to the line when Mendy would have danced for a loss. He ran with purpose and desire, and that's the thing that we haven't been seeing out of Mendy. I'm not worried about the times when the O-line blows open a big hole like on the Dwyer run... hell Mendy probably would have scored on that play. It's the times when there isn't much there that you need a back with heart and legs that keep churning to make something happen.

Yep. :drink:

As I was watching Redman plowing through the holes and dragging guys with him, I kept seeing Mendy hitting brick walls. I text my brother in Pa. during the games and texted "ride the Redman bus!" It just seemed way more productive to me as it did to everyone else in that bar. I think the actual numbers lie in this case.