PDA

View Full Version : Short passing game against the Titans

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
We saw it against the Eagles and Falcons in the preseason and absolutely annihilated them. Many of us vouched for it during the preseason, just wondering why it took so long to use. Looked like it worked pretty well against the Titans, i thought they had good pressure, just not enough time to get there with all the 3 step drops and screens thrown in there.

Mas! Mas!

ALLD
10-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Pride and arrogance with the play calling is why it was not used earlier.

zulater
10-10-2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111010/SPORTS01/310100013/Steelers-offense-surprises-Titans?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports%20Tennessee %20Titans

“He was doing a lot of little three-step, dink-and-dunk passes,” defensive end Derrick Morgan said. “I don’t think anybody expected it. We didn’t really know the extent of his injury, and we were expecting him to be scrambling around and extending plays like usual, putting lot of stress on the secondary. But he was just staying in the pocket with those quick three-step and five-step drops. It was frustrating.”

43Hitman
10-10-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111010/SPORTS01/310100013/Steelers-offense-surprises-Titans?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports Tennessee Titans (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111010/SPORTS01/310100013/Steelers-offense-surprises-Titans?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports%20Ten nessee%20Titans)

“He was doing a lot of little three-step, dink-and-dunk passes,” defensive end Derrick Morgan said. “I don’t think anybody expected it. We didn’t really know the extent of his injury, and we were expecting him to be scrambling around and extending plays like usual, putting lot of stress on the secondary. But he was just staying in the pocket with those quick three-step and five-step drops. It was frustrating.”

With the way our line is banged up, I hope we see ALOT more of this.

Iron Steeler
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Dink n dunk may keep ben up right

steelerdude15
10-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm for it if it works and it worked yesterday. I say keep doing it.

SteelerFanInStl
10-10-2011, 09:26 PM
If that's what it takes to keep Ben from getting killed, then I'm all for it. It worked very well against the Titans.

steelerdude15
10-10-2011, 09:27 PM
If that's what it takes to keep Ben from getting killed, then I'm all for it. It worked very well against the Titans.

Plus he was sacked only once.

Chidi29
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Like I said, the foot injury is a blessing in disguise. Forced Ben to throw the ball quick because he couldn't take any shots.

zulater
10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Like I said, the foot injury is a blessing in disguise. Forced Ben to throw the ball quick because he couldn't take any shots.

When Ben is healthy those plays can't disappear.

Chidi29
10-10-2011, 10:27 PM
When Ben is healthy those plays can't disappear.

Good thing Ben probably won't feel healthy until Week 1 next year. :chuckle:

But you're right and has been my biggest issue with Ben. I love his ability to extend the play as much as the next guy, but there are times where you have to take what the defense gives you and throw it hot. Especially when you're using 4/5 WR sets and know you won't have a lot of protection.

steelreserve
10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
I like that we finally adapted to the situation of having suspect blocking, even if it may be for a completely unrelated reason. Much better than in years past when the offensive line was a sieve, and Ben was still trying to run around and chuck the ball 40 yards down the field anyway. THAT'S how you miss the playoffs.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Or to just keep this offense on track like we FINALLY did this game :)

Steeldude
10-11-2011, 02:15 AM
We saw it against the Eagles and Falcons in the preseason and absolutely annihilated them. Many of us vouched for it during the preseason, just wondering why it took so long to use. Looked like it worked pretty well against the Titans, i thought they had good pressure, just not enough time to get there with all the 3 step drops and screens thrown in there.

Mas! Mas!

my guess is because BR could not move. don't be surprised to see it all tossed aside when BR is healthy enough to run around in the pocket.

zulater
10-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Seldom did Roethlisberger stand in the pocket and survey the field as he searched for a receiver. Seldom did he try to buy time by scrambling. For the most part, he took a short drop back and unloaded the football.
According to the official play-by-play book, 29 of the 34 passes Roethlisberger threw were described as “short.” Only five were listed as “deep.”
By comparison, nine of Roethlisberger’s 30 passes last week in a 17-10 loss in Houston went deep. In a 23-20 win at Indianapolis in Week 3, Roethlisberger threw deep on 11 of 37 passes.

“I just tried to approach this game — mainly not to go for the home run every play,” Roethlisberger said. “Sometimes we don’t have a choice. The play is called for everyone to go deep and we aren’t left with any underneath stuff.
“(On Sunday), I tried getting some of the underneath stuff and focusing on what the defense gave us. They did a lot of soft zone stuff and that left Heath Miller and Hines Ward open underneath. I was able to get them the ball and let them run with it. I tried not to hold onto it ... I think it worked really well.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/big-ben-wins-big-by-throwing-short/article_c8e2db9e-c2c3-5974-9892-d048ed9b8d0f.html

Chidi29
10-11-2011, 06:33 AM
You're the QB. You always have choices. If you think you need the underneath stuff, make it happen at the line.

suitanim
10-11-2011, 08:46 AM
This kind of offense is a dramatic departure form Arians normal stuff (for people who say he's incapable of adjusting). Arians likes complex crossing patterns by his WR's that take a little more time to develop, but greatly increase the odds of getting a receiver open. With a shoddy line, this is a tough sell.

I'm glad to see the adjustment, but it's important not to put too much emphasis on it, or we'll wind up telegraphing and having DB's jumping routes for easy picks. It's a nice addition to mix things up, though...

86WARD
10-11-2011, 08:49 AM
It's what I was questioning and asking for all week! :)

ALLD
10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Mark that game as a watershed moment. They ran out of ideas and reverted to the obvious to get the job done. However, it was not obvious to the other team.

The West Coast also requires a different set of preparation. Ben will have to be more disciplined (fake spike b4 halftime aka NOT Marino).

Hopefully, we will not regress to where the media begins comparing BB to bradee.

Dino 6 Rings
10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I was pleased to see the play action pass working...cause it only works when the run game is actually working...so that was good, that Playaction pass TD to Ward...fooled me...I though Redmen had the ball on that one and was surprised when Ben threw it up to Hines...great job on that one...

Edman
10-16-2011, 05:43 PM
So much for that dream.

Typical Steelers Offense. Find something that works and stop doing it.

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2011, 06:11 PM
aaaaaand we're back to our old offense that sputters frequently

Chidi29
10-16-2011, 06:19 PM
aaaaaand we're back to our old offense that sputters frequently

Can't fault Ben for taking those shots. We were getting behind Jacksonville's defense all day.

pepsyman1
10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Can't fault Ben for taking those shots. We were getting behind Jacksonville's defense all day.

Taking shots is one thing, but you gotta know when the need is there to move the chains and we got none of that in the second half and no points in the second half against a team we should have buried.

Steeldude
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
what? the fans were right again?

Chidi29
10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Taking shots is one thing, but you gotta know when the need is there to move the chains and we got none of that in the second half and no points in the second half against a team we should have buried.

When you have chances to put up six points, you take them. Simple as that.

Edman
10-16-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't blame Arians for wanting to take the killshot, but Ben was missing the killshot all day. So what do you do? I dunno, dial it down a bit and get Ben into some kind of rhythm so he could hit the killshot? Ben had no sense of rhythm whatsoever in the second half. Kept throwing Haymakers and missed every time.

Instead of taking what the defense gave them, Ben and Arians as usual got greedy and impatient, and it backfired nearly costing the Steelers the game. No-Huddle disappeared from the playbook. Few Slants or short routes thrown all day. Just kept misfiring bombs and long-developing plays down the field. As a result, all Jax has to do was pin their ears back and we have the most pathetic showings in a half on Offense in a long time. That is inexcusable.

Short Passing game. It isn't exciting. It isn't pretty. But it's more effective than 3 and outs every drive.

zulater
10-16-2011, 07:14 PM

If it's not working you've got to tone it down and try to keep the sticks moving.

I don't know, I'll be curious to see what Ben has to say? Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye?

All I know is that type of offensive showing wont win you many games. We were lucky today in that the Jaguars were equally inept. But the Ravens and Patriots wont be, you can bet on that.

Chidi29
10-16-2011, 08:45 PM
If it's not working you've got to tone it down and try to keep the sticks moving.

I don't know, I'll be curious to see what Ben has to say? Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye?

All I know is that type of offensive showing wont win you many games. We were lucky today in that the Jaguars were equally inept. But the Ravens and Patriots wont be, you can bet on that.

It's not like there was a schematic reason as to why it wasn't working. Heck, Ben even had the time to use 7 step drops today. Doesn't always happen. It was a simple matter of not executing from one player, Ben. We know he can do it (even if he doesn't throw the best deep ball) and he already did it twice in the game.

If it's there, you take it.

This offensive showing could've put up 35 points if not for the timing being a little bit off.

I look at this game and think, "Our offense can be REALLY scary".

Count Steeler
10-16-2011, 08:49 PM
It's not like there was a schematic reason as to why it wasn't working. Heck, Ben even had the time to use 7 step drops today. Doesn't always happen. It was a simple matter of not executing from one player, Ben. We know he can do it (even if he doesn't throw the best deep ball) and he already did it twice in the game.

This offensive showing could've put up 35 points if not for the timing being a little bit off.

I had the same anticipation coming out of the preseason. Brown had a great preseason and I thought he would be ready to give Wallace some space and be a real deep threat on the other side. I really thought we could score 30 points a game.

After today's performance, I'm scared in a different manner.

zulater
10-16-2011, 08:52 PM

I understand what you're saying Chidi. But we almost let a game slip away over being " a little off". To me it's like a pitcher who's curve isn't working for a particular game. A smart catcher quits calling it that day, particularly if your lead is in danger of slipping away.

But to your overall point that it wasn't the Steelers that were having problems today, but just Ben. I think I'm buying, and like you I'm fairly confident that this was a one half thing and he'll have things worked out by next Sunday and be on his game.

Basically if Ben is on his game today, there's no concern whatsoever about today's game.

suitanim
10-17-2011, 09:34 AM

I agree. We had WR's running wide open all day long. They never did figure out how to slow them down...it was on Ben. He was not accurate yesterday, and was actually pretty awful in the second half.

Bear in mind, he was not accurate at any range. He missed the long ball, and he missed on the short and intermediate routes, too...