PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts and observations of Titans game.

zulater
10-10-2011, 02:14 PM
First defensive series.

Keisel presence felt early as he strung out Chris Johnson on an early rush attempt.

Same with Hoke a couple plays later.

Keisel and Ziggy both show great pursuit and run down Johnson far away from their original starting point.

Woodley had two great pressures that led to incompletions besides his sack of Hasselback.

Cameron Heyward did a great job of shooting the gap to string out a run to no gain down near the goal line.

Troy makes tremendous play, beating two blockers to shut down Johnson on screen to force fg.

Series probably would have probably ended much earlier without unnecessary roughness penalty on Ryan Clark.

On kick return, titans got suckered just enough by fake reverse to Sanders, for Brown to break it to midfield. Nice call special teams coach.

Steelers 1st series noteworthy plays and things

Great challenge by Tomlin on Wallace catch. Sans challenge Steelers 3 and out, Titans get the ball back with Steelers defense still winded.

Nice checkdown by Ben to Redman for 5 yards on first down play action. You can tell Ben wanted Heath or Wallace downfield, but took the conservative and smart route instead.

Great non retaliation by Foster! Titan defender tries to goad him with a punch down near Titans goal line and Foster backs away. Retaliation always gets the flag, could have cost us the touchdown that was scored on the next play if he reacts.

I wont be this comprehensive on every series, but these series laid the foundation for the game imo.

HollywoodSteel
10-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Great non retaliation by Foster! Titan defender tries to goad him with a punch down near Titans goal line and Foster backs away. Retaliation always gets the flag, could have cost us the touchdown that was scored on the next play if he reacts.

Excellent point, Zu. I am 100% convinced that in the same situation, Kemo would have retaliated and, as you said, probably cost us a touchdown.

While we're on the subject of Kemo, it really wouldn't bother me if he lost the starting job completely. He has physical talent, but he's a moron and I don't just mean his temper. I'm talking blown assignments, misunderstanding situations... things that can not only kill drives, but kill our QB. Man, I really wish we could put Legursky's head on Kemo's body. We might actually have an elite guard.

YoungMoneyFam
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Excellent point, Zu. I am 100% convinced that in the same situation, Kemo would have retaliated and, as you said, probably cost us a touchdown.

While we're on the subject of Kemo, it really wouldn't bother me if he lost the starting job completely. He has physical talent, but he's a moron and I don't just mean his temper. I'm talking blown assignments, misunderstanding situations... things that can not only kill drives, but kill our QB. Man, I really wish we could put Legursky's head on Kemo's body. We might actually have an elite guard.

Kemos knee is becoming a problem. The only thing I think he excels at is pulling, am I right? I've always thought of him as a liability in the pass protection, and his bonehead penalties make me want to punch the TV sometimes. I really was hoping that draft pick this year would pan out, but I think he was released to make room for Max if I'm not mistaken? Either way, I hope Gilberts injury is not serious because Ben actually looked somewhat comfortable back there for the first time this year

ALLD
10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
We now have a chance to go more than 1 and done in the playoffs.

zulater
10-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Up to both teams third series.

Titans 3rd and 10 play, Woodley gets a hurry up the middle, Hasselback forced to dump the ball off short of the sticks, Troy makes tackle, titans forced to punt.

Steelers 3rd possession. Dwyer's big run. Great block by David Johnson to pave the way. Same with Legurskey. Johnson really picked up his play this week.

There's a great example of the difference Redman makes over Mendenhall in this series. Steelers have 1st and 5 at the titans 9 yard line. Reman is hit before he gets a yard past the line, but keeps his legs moving, and carries 3 titans to the point that he gets 4 yards to bring up 2nd and 1. Also telling on this play they flash to the sidelines and show a shot of Mendenhall. Not a smile, a clap, or the slightest showing of support for his teammmates down in the redzone, in fact it's fair to say he's not happy at all. I think I'm liking Mendenhall less and less. Pouncey couldn't have played better through the first 3 series. Neither could Ben, what a gutty play that rollout td pass to Johnson was.

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Legursky was the pulling guard that blew that hole open for Dwyer. Very well executed play.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Legursky was the pulling guard that blew that hole open for Dwyer. Very well executed play.

Ah, that's who it was. Since we like to pull to the right and Legursky is maybe our quickest lineman along with Pouncey, maybe we should keep him at left guard like Kemoeatu is out...

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Ah, that's who it was. Since we like to pull to the right and Legursky is maybe our quickest lineman along with Pouncey, maybe we should keep him at left guard like Kemoeatu is out...

I would not change the O Line from yesterday. Even with Scott at RT, he played well. Build some chemistry on this unit. It was something that at the end of the 3rd quarter, the O Line was the only unit on the field. Ben and the "skilled" players were huddled with the coaches on the sidelines. Heinz Field gave a very nice ovation to the O Line and they certainly appreciated it. I think they were even humbled that we had noticed their performance yesterday. This will never be on TV, but to see it in person was quite touching.

stillers4me
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I would not change the O Line from yesterday. Even with Scott at RT, he played well. Build some chemistry on this unit. It was something that at the end of the 3rd quarter, the O Line was the only unit on the field. Ben and the "skilled" players were huddled with the coaches on the sidelines. Heinz Field gave a very nice ovation to the O Line and they certainly appreciated it. I think they were even humbled that we had noticed their performance yesterday. This will never be on TV, but to see it in person was quite touching.

That's very cool! Thanks for sharing that!

zulater
10-10-2011, 06:49 PM
A play worth noting that I forget to bring up. Suishi made a saving tackle on a kick return, that had he not made might have gone the distance. Though the Titans starting field position was excellent, ( their own 42) they didn't score that possession, and those sort of things get lost in the shuffle, but make a difference in the course of a game.

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 06:51 PM

I wonder if Tomlin set that up.

zulater
10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm up to halftime, NFL rewind shutdown at kickoff time, so I guess I'll call it a night.

Oh by the way for the first half Lamarr Woodley 1.5 sacks and 3 additional hurries, 2 which resulted in 3rd down in incompletions, the other a dump off short of the sticks on a 3rd down pass.

Biggest turnaround of the week goes to David Johnson though, through the half anyway.

43Hitman
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM

I agree, thanks for sharing that Count Steeler.

Chidi29
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm up to halftime, NFL rewind shutdown at kickoff time, so I guess I'll call it a night.

Oh by the way for the first half Lamarr Woodley 1.5 sacks and 3 additional hurries, 2 which resulted in 3rd down in incompletions, the other a dump off short of the sticks on a 3rd down pass.

Biggest turnaround of the week goes to David Johnson though, through the half anyway.

Didn't realize you can't watch any other game when there is a live one going on for Rewind.

zulater
10-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Didn't realize you can't watch any other game when there is a live one going on for Rewind.

No full blackout when any NFL games are being played.

Chidi, Stan Savran brought it up on the radio, and just watching it again on NFL rewind, how the hell was that titan onsides kick ruled legal? 51 of the Titans is tackling Battle before he ever touches the ball, he's in the middle of being flipped as the ball arrives? That's not interference?

zulater
10-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Since an intentional grounding penalty results in the yardage of where the qb was engaged and a loss of down, I don't understand why the defensive player isn't credited with the sack? Basically all you're doing is saying the quarterback more or less declared himself down. Anyway it sucks that Cameron Heyward got robbed of a sack by Hasselback's grounding penatly.