PDA

View Full Version : Cam Heyward and the defense

XxKnightxX
10-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Just finished watching the replay of the game . And my oh my is Cameron Heyward starting to play very well . The guy was just abusing the LG and Michael Roos, probably one of the best Tackles in the league, was in Hasslebecks face and even got a sack fumble. I seriously think this is the next Richard Seymour. He can play outside and play inside, and just manhandles the man in front of him. He definitely needs more playing time especially when our D line is hurt at this moment.

Aside from our defense, they played a great game. Woodley finally woke up and played a good game. Now my only concern about our Pass Rushing defense is one thing. I think our Defense even in pure passing situations line up and play as if theyre trying to stop the run. They make no effort to get off blocks and just get upfield and smack the QB. I know Lebaus theory is for D linemen and other players is to re establish the line of scrimmage and taking up blocks while the others blitz through the gaps. But I see its becoming too much of an old theme if you ask me because whenever the Cross Dog blitz comes through Farrior and Foote or Timmons get picked up, and before you know it a short dump off or mid level pass is made and they make a first down. I think Lebeau needs to implement a pass rushing package . Line 4 up in the line of Scrimmage, Heyward Kiesel, Woodley and Timmons and let Keisel or which ever D linemen collapse the pocket and let Woodley and Timmons loose . Woodley needs to stop using that rip move all the time, all hes doing is slowing himself down against the other linemen.

But overall great game defensively , the offense played great as well. I just wish that the linemen drove their feet more once they engage in blocks, they seem to stop driving their feet and it drives me nuts. Starks played a hell of a game. Glad to have his big ass back lol.

Any other thoughts in order to improve our pass rush are likely welcome.

Pristas
10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I have an idea... Keep Cam in there and insert a 3-week-rested Harrison behind him.

YoungMoneyFam
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't understand why we don't utilize a full scale rotation among the DE's? Ok, so start The Beard and Smith but rotate in Ziggy and Cam. Not only will it keep us fresh up front, but it constantly keeps the offense off balance. And from what I saw yesterday Hoke should get a little more PT in my opinion, he played quite well.

Dino 6 Rings
10-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Young = Hungry
No Rings = Hungry
Heyward and Hood = Young with No Rings

and there we have it.

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 05:13 PM
McLendon was also impressive on the snaps he played in.

st33lersguy
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Unfortunately Heyward will get very little playing time and will be left to rot the bench until Aaron Smith and/or Brett Kiesel retire

zulater
10-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately Heyward will get very little playing time and will be left to rot the bench until Aaron Smith and/or Brett Kiesel retire

I doubt it. Heyward had already been getting snaps in recent games. He' far ahead of where Ziggy was at this point of his rookie year in playing time.

43Hitman
10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
I doubt it. Heyward had already been getting snaps in recent games. He' far ahead of where Ziggy was at this point of his rookie year in playing time.

yeah I think Heyward may be the exception to the rule, which bodes well for the d-line. I really like the way they played yesterday. They all looked very sharp on offense and defense.

7willBheaven
10-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't understand why we don't utilize a full scale rotation among the DE's? Ok, so start The Beard and Smith but rotate in Ziggy and Cam. Not only will it keep us fresh up front, but it constantly keeps the offense off balance. And from what I saw yesterday Hoke should get a little more PT in my opinion, he played quite well.

They do rotate the DEs (really all DL) in each game...even when they are all healthy

steelerdude15
10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I haven't payed enough attention to Cam, but I'm going to start paying closer attention. I also think Cam, McLendon, and Ziggy is our future defensive line.

Austin87
10-11-2011, 03:57 AM

I agree with this. Smith is on his last legs, why not give Cam some reps and see what he can do through the season. Hoke definitely deserves more playing time.

I think there should be more of a 50-50 split in playing time on the d-line.

Dino 6 Rings
10-11-2011, 08:35 AM
As I alluded to earlier in a "defense is not the problem thread" I think the defense has been schemed differently this year to make us more efficient against the pass and not so focussed on the run. Its almost as if Coach Dad is trying to get ahead of the curve. I can't remember the last time the Steelers were the #1 defense against the pass. If we can continue to stuff the run with this defend the pass first type defense, I think we will have a very good chance of going deep this season and winning when it matters most...which will be the 2nd time we play in Indianapolis this football Season...oh yes...Yes will be playing there again...

(disclaimer, should the Colts shock the world and make the playoffs and end up hosting the Steelers in a playoff game in Indianapolis, then I declare the Steelers will be playing in Indianapolis 3 times this season. Just saying...)

ALLD
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM
You see the future.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I think Hood and Heyward are unique to the defense in that they get upfield and are threats to sack the QB, more than other 3-4 DE's the Steelers have had in the past. I think McClendon almost can play a DE in this system too, so there will be an effort to groom a younger NT to replace Hampton in a couple seasons.

Next season could see a solid 3 man rotation of Hood, Keisel, Heyward.

The Duke
10-12-2011, 01:27 AM
I think Hood and Heyward are unique to the defense in that they get upfield and are threats to sack the QB, more than other 3-4 DE's the Steelers have had in the past. I think McClendon almost can play a DE in this system too, so there will be an effort to groom a younger NT to replace Hampton in a couple seasons.

Next season could see a solid 3 man rotation of Hood, Keisel, Heyward.

I think the trend had been changing league wise too. Most 3-4 DEs in the last couple of drafts are quite good pass rushers; Glenn Dorsey has been doing for a few years already with the chiefs, Dareus is an excellent pass rusher, and JJ Watt (considered the aaron smith clone) is not bad either

even guys like Adam Carriker who was once considered a bust

I'm glad both Hood and Heyward are getting the job done. Don't think it will be that many years before they're both starting full time

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2011, 10:03 AM
even guys like Adam Carriker who was once considered a bust

Carriker was in the wrong system. He was stuck playing DT for the Rams and that's not where he should be.

I'm excited about the upside of Hood and Heyward. They're both looking good. We just need to add a NT in the next draft for the anchor.