PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace

polamalubeast
10-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Before the 2010 season, do you expect it to be as good as he have right now?

I knew it was a very good player, but I do not think he was going be better than Santonio Holmes and right now, Mike Wallace is in the top 10 in the NFL.

In fact, it finished to 5th place last year for yards and this year it is 3rd.

I admit than I did not think it would be good as it is right now!

SteelerFanInStl
10-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I never thought that Mike would be as complete of a WR as he is. I thought that he was going to mostly be a speed guy. He's also shown me much better hands than I thought he had. The man catches everything. He's turned in to a great WR.

polamalubeast
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I would like your comments on wallace!

stillers4me
10-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I hope we can keep our hands on him when his contract is up. He and Ben have developed great chemistry and he seems to be a good character guy, (unlike certain other WR that have worn the black and gold and seem to end up in green...not mentioning any names or anything.)

steelerdude15
10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
He is going to be an elite WR in the next couple of years and he's on his way there now... fast.

steeldevil
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
He's purdy fast... :chuckle:

HollywoodSteel
10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I think we're all pleasantly surprised by how complete of a receiver Wallace has become. We all knew about his blazing speed when he first stepped onto the field, but his route running, willingness to take a shot going through the middle, and exceptional hands have been nothing short of elite. I think Ward probably hand a big influence on the kid when it comes to toughness, blocking, and route running. Combine that with his natural gifts and the sky's the limit for him.

stillers4me
10-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Combine that with his natural gifts and the sky's the limit for him.

And so is probably his next contract.

polamalubeast
10-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I think Wallace will be approximately the same contract that Santonio Holmes.

Last year he finished 5th in the yard despite the fact that Roethlisberger missed four games and this year it is 3rd and has a good chance to have around 1500 yards this year.

And it is one of the best in the NFL to make big plays.

Godfather
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Wallace is a must sign. We've seen enough that we should give him a long term contract right now.

I'm afraid that the salary cap will eventually force us to choose between Brown and Sanders, but we still have time to make a decision there.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
grammatical errors aside, im assuming you were trying to ask if we thought Mike would be this good before the 2011 season? And if we thought he'd be as good as Santonio Holmes?

Hell no i'd say! I was probably one of the most concerned people by far on this board about Mike stepping into Santonio's shoes. I didn't even think he'd be a 1,000 yard receiver, and i thought that "one trick pony" notion would come to fruition just because so many speed guys are like that. Mad props to Scottie Montgomery, Santonio, and Ward for coaching the kid up.

Mike has blown away my expectations ten fold, and im very sorry for doubting you Mike

YoungMoneyFam
10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Wallace is a must sign. We've seen enough that we should give him a long term contract right now.

I'm afraid that the salary cap will eventually force us to choose between Brown and Sanders, but we still have time to make a decision there.

No matter what happens, we must sign Wallace for the long term. I have a hard time choosing between Sanders or Brown, because they both have shown to be useful in all types of situations and seem to have a knack for a big play here and there. If I had to pick one, I'd take Sanders because he seems like the new slot guy for us after 86 hangs them up. I'm sure the FO can come up with something so that we don't have to choose :)

ALLD
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Nate Washington was the Titan's #1 receiver. That tells you how valuable #17 is.

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
He should be our #1 receiver for a long time. Hope they sign him in the off season to a long contract.

Carolina Steelers
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I never thought Wallace would be this complete of a WR, I watch the Steelers every Sunday and Wallace still kinda crept up on me of how good he is now and I believe he will get better. I think after he signs a long term contract Big Ben and Mike Wallace will become the best QB, WR combo stats wise in Steelers history IMO. Hopefully some super bowl rings come with that

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Even after his first year of starting i had my doubts. But this encore performance (that's barely a quarter of the way through) has me believing big time

Austin87
10-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Wallace has been playing like a monster this season, we need to lock this guy up long term. I am just wondering if we'll be able to afford him. I read a couple places that we are gonna have some cap problems next season?

Craic
10-11-2011, 04:36 AM
No matter what happens, we must sign Wallace for the long term. I have a hard time choosing between Sanders or Brown, because they both have shown to be useful in all types of situations and seem to have a knack for a big play here and there. If I had to pick one, I'd take Sanders because he seems like the new slot guy for us after 86 hangs them up. I'm sure the FO can come up with something so that we don't have to choose :)

I don't think we'll have to choose. Ward won't be around much longer (another year? two or three at most?) and he's seen the way Bettis left the city, and the way Joey Porter Alan Fanaca left. I think he goes the Bettis way.

XxKnightxX
10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Wallace is a must sign, no ifs ands or buts. Get it done period. As long as he isnt asking for 100 Million. The best thing I love about him is how he has been so explosive, physical, and just flat out mean, the guy is just a hungry savage monster. And hes been doing all of this, While Desean Paper Mache Jackson is bitching and moaning for a new contract, and he doesnt go down the middle, doesnt ballhawk, and is just a cocky piece of shit. I hate Desean Jackson, hes just a coward who runs away from everthing and cant take any contact. Anyway, Mike Wallace has become our future, and we must resign him.

And regarding Sanders or Brown. Keep Brown without a doubt , I love E88 but Brown is such a better playmaker, and although he has his occasional drops and bonehead plays, he makes the big plays when theyre needed. Sanders is good, but he cant beat Brown .

tihmtahm
10-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Wallace has been getting better and better every year. IMO he's definitely better than Holmes.

Nadroj 20
10-11-2011, 11:31 AM
I remember the day we drafted Mike and I told my buddy, this guy is gonna be good. I knew he was fast and seemed to do well in college but something about the guy made me feel like he was going to be a solid wide-out. I may have made some posts about that back at the fever during that draft, but anyway even though I liked him...he has been a pleasant surprise. To say I thought he was going to be this good this fast would be a lie.

I'm am even more excited the more I see him play that we were able to get him on our team.

BigNastyDefense
10-11-2011, 12:03 PM
I saw his rookie year that he was the fastest guy on the field and that he had good hands. I felt that he could develop into a really good receiver, but I wasn't expecting him to develop this fast.

I think what sped up his development was the trade of Santonio Holmes. While I feel he was always working to shed the "one trick" moniker that Tomlin put on him (to motivate him to become a complete wideout), he knew he had to become more than the fast guy who just ran go routes out of the slot because he wouldn't be covered by a slot receiver anymore.

I think we'll resign Wallace easily. He doesn't seem to be worried about being one of the highest paid paid receivers in the NFL like a Desean Jackson (who isn't half the player that Wallace is). Will he want to be paid well? Yes, everyone does. But I don't think he's going to try to hold the team up like an armored truck, he realized the Steelers cap situation and isn't going to keep the team from being a contender.

And while we are reported to be over the cap next season, it might not be as dire as people think. I can see quite a few of the older players retiring after this season which would significantly lower what we have to pay next season without making cuts.

86WARD
10-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Yes. I've said multiple times when we traded Holmes that although I hated the move, Wallace was a bigger, stronger, faster version of Santonio.

Love the guy and he's obviously a must sign. I think Ward might be around next season at the most. Probably taking a backup role. But he's not going elsewhere to play. He's already said that when he's done in Pittsburgh, he's done.

steelpride12
10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
As long as we can get a long term deal on him I will be happy. Never saw this coming from him at all. Looked like another reciever who might make the team, but never an impact. Then knowing he was a deep threat I was still never convinced he would be a great for the organization, but he proved me wrong once again.

Now towards the end of last season into this season he has become a versitile player, perfecting his routes, catching passes over the middle and as we saw against the Colts still the deep threat we always had.

I think a lot of his success comes from the chemistry him and Big Ben have together. They always seem to be on the right page and the wink from Ben to Wallace in the Colts game shows major confidence that he will be open and that Ben will throw the perfect pass. LOVE IT!

The Duke
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I thought he wouldn't be more than a deep threat #2 receiver

but after Holmes was traded I had no doubt the steelers saw in Mike the potential he's showing now

polamalubeast
10-12-2011, 09:49 AM
We must also not forget that Wallace had not Roethlisberger in the first 4 game in 2010.

Wallace had 202 yards in the first 4 games...... In the last 12 game with Roethlisberger, Wallace had 1063 yards with 52 receptions.

In his last 17 ​​games, Wallace has 84 receptions for 1599 yards and 11 touchdowns.