PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach rewards OT Starks' efforts

stillers4me
10-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Max Starks spent seven seasons with the Steelers and won two Super Bowls before returning this week, but he never received an individual game ball until coach Mike Tomlin presented the veteran left tackle with one Sunday.

"Quite honestly, we needed it," Tomlin said, referring to his battered offensive line. "He was able to provide what we needed."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was more effusive: "Max was fantastic. He went from the couch to a game ball! That's Steelers football!"............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761078.html

Texasteel
10-10-2011, 05:40 AM
I can't say enough about Max's play on Sunday. If he can keep up this level of play we may have solved our LT problem for the next couple of years. Good job Max.

HometownGal
10-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Max did a phenomenal job and I'm ecstatic to have him back in the black 'n gold! :tt03: Game ball much deserved!

You da man Max!

GodfatherofSoul
10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
As Deion would say, "Pay the man!" Can't we do better than 800K?

PalmerSteel
10-10-2011, 10:39 AM
my question is why was max not signed with another team already? suprised he was still available.

Chidi29
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
my question is why was max not signed with another team already? suprised he was still available.

Because he was still working on getting his weight down and getting into shape.

smokin3000gt
10-10-2011, 12:03 PM

I'm sure we could but if $800k gets the ink on the paper then why pay more then we have to?

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Athletes do wonders when they are "hungry". Got to keep this mentality going on the whole team, sure beats the cocky prima donna attitude that I thought the Ravens knocked out of this team after week 1.

A great game to launch us into the rest of the season. Let' s keep it going. Thank you Max.

86WARD
10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Max is earning the money from his previous seasons. Good to see him get the ball.

zulater
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
If Gilbert's injury is serious they need to place a call to Flozell next.

Chidi29
10-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Scott actually didn't look half bad at RT yesterday.

43Hitman
10-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Not if he's still asking for 5M a year.

zulater
10-10-2011, 01:08 PM

See how long that lasts.

zulater
10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Not if he's still asking for 5M a year.

Granted, hopefully a month of unemployment would humble him some.

Chidi29
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
See how long that lasts.

It does make sense that on the right side, he wouldn't be facing the caliber of pass rushers he has been seeing the past few weeks.

Plus, while I know the Titans use a rotation along the DL that keeps guys fresh, this is really the first marginal DL we've faced so far all season. The offensive line has really had a tough schedule so far, facing Suggs/Ngata, Mebane, Freeney/Mathis, and Mario Williams.

43Hitman
10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Granted, hopefully a month of unemployment would humble him some.

I'm on board for about 1M, it would be nice to have a bit more depth at that position. Like Chidi though I thought that Scott looked pretty good on the right side.

tube517
10-10-2011, 02:50 PM
It does make sense that on the right side, he wouldn't be facing the caliber of pass rushers he has been seeing the past few weeks.

Plus, while I know the Titans use a rotation along the DL that keeps guys fresh, this is really the first marginal DL we've faced so far all season. The offensive line has really had a tough schedule so far, facing Suggs/Ngata, Mebane, Freeney/Mathis, and Mario Williams.

Why not put Colon at LT then, instead of Scott at the beginning of the season if that's who you go with? I understand Max's weight and Hotel's salary demands but why put your best OT on the right side? I know the discussion about Colon's injury. But, if they were worried about that, they should have planned on getting Max or Hotel in there. :noidea:

steelerdude15
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Well deserved and I hope that he can continue playing like he did yesterday.

Craic
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Congrats to the big guy. I've always said that when he's on, he's a DANG good lineman. He was just inconsistent. But maybe losing the weight and a few other things like that will help him out.

steelreserve
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM

We already are paying him. Before he got cut, his last contract was paying him close to $8M a year, and I believe about half of that came in the form of guaranteed money and signing bonus. So he's still getting about $4M on top of the $810K we're paying him in base salary. He is very well paid.

If you're not familiar with how "dead money" works under the salary cap, Starks would be an excellent example.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Scott is a guy with RT skills that was forced to play LT when Starks got cut and nobody else was around the system to play LT. He played a very good game at RT and probably should stay there until Gilbert's shoulder heals. While the haters will hate on Scott, I have always thought of him as a guy that is a good OT, better suited to the right side who can play LT if needed. He aint elite, but he isnt as bad as the haters believe.

YoungMoneyFam
10-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Im extremely happy to have him back, and it looks like Ben is as well. As everyone else said, lets see how he holds up over a few games.

ALLD
10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Starks played like he was expected to when they drafted him and played way beyond his normal baseline over the last few years. He made it personal and it lifted the rest of the OL.

The players made it clear none of them wanted to be singled out as the weak link and there was none this Sunday.

Austin87
10-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Great stuff Max! Keep it going.