PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does Dwyer resemble THE BUS or what !

katmandu
10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
All I got to say about this young buck's performance today is WOW ! :clap2:

There were a couple of runs and when he was trotting back to the huddle, I could of sworn he resembles a young Jerome Bettis !

Man! The possibilities if he keeps his head on straight!

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 08:07 PM
It was one nice run with some really good blocking. Nothing else was very impressive and I saw him dance badly on one play.

Let's not get too excited.

SteelerEmpire
10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Dwyer: 11 carries, 107 yds, 9.7 yds per carry

Redman: 15 carries, 49 yds, 3.3 yds per carry

Looks like an arms race is about to happen with our RB's... Dwyer single-handedly got the running game going again.

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 08:42 PM
He has Bad Body Syndrome like Jerome.

Obviously, the coaches need to see more before he can be compared to Jerome, but he sure got off to a nice start. It will be very interesting to see how the Steelers handle it when it comes time to sign Mendenhall with Redman and Dwyer both capable backs themselves.

7willBheaven
10-09-2011, 08:42 PM
While yes 75 or so of his 107 yards game on the one run (I was at the game and had the perfect angle on the sea parting for that run...wow)...he did look good on a couple others an hit the hole and ran hard. He did dance on that one play...but if i remember correctly the blocking wasnt too great on that one. I think he definitely had potential...and in reality more playing time could only do him good...rotate and have a 3-4 back system...why not haha

SteelerEmpire
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
While yes 75 or so of his 107 yards game on the one run (I was at the game and had the perfect angle on the sea parting for that run...wow)...he did look good on a couple others an hit the hole and ran hard. He did dance on that one play...but if i remember correctly the blocking wasnt too great on that one. I think he definitely had potential...and in reality more playing time could only do him good...rotate and have a 3-4 back system...why not haha

I've seen him make a couple long runs like that before since he's been a Steeler. Mendy is probably the fastest back we have, but Redman and Dwyer seem to have the "hands" to hold onto the ball better than Mendy. I know they haven't got as many opportunies to fumble as Mendy, but percentage wise (handoffs vs fumbles ratio) I'm willing to bet their superior. Not having "fumblitous" is enough for me to put Redman and Dwyer in place of Mendy.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Mendenhall has fumbled three times in the past two seasons, 350 carries.

7willBheaven
10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I've seen him make a couple long runs like that before since he's been a Steeler. Mendy is probably the fastest back we have, but Redman and Dwyer seem to have the "hands" to hold onto the ball better than Mendy. I know they haven't got as many opportunies to fumble as Mendy, but percentage wise (handoffs vs fumbles ratio) I'm willing to bet their superior. Not having "fumblitous" is enough for me to put Redman and Dwyer in place of Mendy.

While i do agree Mendy is the fastest on the team I do not think having 6 fumbles in 4 years is fumblitious...but as they say to each his own.

Craic
10-09-2011, 09:08 PM

:huh: Mendy doesn't have fumblitis though. He's one of the best backs at holding on to the ball.

Oh, and last year, redman and Mendenhall both had two fumbles. But Mendenhall had many, many more carries. 324 for mendy, 53 for Redman.

Craic
10-09-2011, 09:14 PM
While i do agree Mendy is the fastest on the team I do not think having 6 fumbles in 4 years is fumblitious...but as they say to each his own.

How? He's the best RB the Steelers have ever had in holding on to the ball over the long term. Furthermore, he is in the top ten of active running backs for holding on to the ball. That's not fumblitis. That's putting the ball away. He's been tagged because of what happened in preseason his first year. Then, he lost the ball in the SB. But those two instances do not make him a player that is prone to fumble. Again, he's just the opposite. After all, he only fumbles once out of ever 99.5 carries.

7willBheaven
10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
How? He's the best RB the Steelers have ever had in holding on to the ball over the long term. Furthermore, he is in the top ten of active running backs for holding on to the ball. That's not fumblitis. That's putting the ball away. He's been tagged because of what happened in preseason his first year. Then, he lost the ball in the SB. But those two instances do not make him a player that is prone to fumble. Again, he's just the opposite. After all, he only fumbles once out of ever 99.5 carries.

You may wanna re-read what i said...I said having 6 fumbles during a 4 year period is NOT fumblitious...but then said if someone wants to think he does...fine...to each his own...but i dont think he has it.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
LOL let's hold our horses before we insult The Bus like that. That 76 yard run was more the product of was ridiculous blocking more than anything. I'm sure Chidi will say the same and break it down for us in his weekly analysis.

hotrodder07
10-09-2011, 09:23 PM

Looks like an arms race is about to happen with our RB's... Dwyer single-handedly got the running game going again.

Sure, but any one of our runningbacks could have run through that hole the line created on that 76 yard run. In fact, you could argue that Rashard would have had the speed to take it to the endzone. Take away that one run, Dwyers stats vs. Redman's look like this:

Dwyer: 10 carries, 31 yds, 3.1 yds per carry

Not too impressive. Did he look good? Yeah. Actually he did surprise me with some good runs. But Redman impressed me much more in this game. His stats might look poor, but he had some very nice, tough runs in there. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

SteelerEmpire
10-09-2011, 09:24 PM
He just does it at such good times though... in clutch time's... 'Clutch Fumblitous"...lol.

Mendenhall's fumble was tipping point of Super Bowl
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

LINK: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17314658

Steelers Vs. Ravens Score: Rashard Mendenhall's Fumble Lets Ravens Pad Lead

LINK: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/9/11/2418638/steelers-vs-ravens-score-rashard-mendenhall-joe-flacco

Bills draw even after Rashard Mendenhall fumble

LINK: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/28/bills-draw-even-after-rashard-mendenhall-fumble/

LB COACH TO CLAY M.: IT IS TIME !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtogcyuk4Q

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I thought he looked like LenDale White.

O'Malley
10-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Mendenhall has fumbled three times in the past two seasons, 350 carries.

^THIS^ Don't get where the "fumblitous" comes from...... He has fumbled in bad situations, yet there is no good situtation to fumble... But IMO has held on to the ball quite well.

BigNastyDefense
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Mendy's fumble in the Super Bowl wasn't even his fault. He was holding the ball high and tight, just like you're taught. Matthews just made a great hit and got his helmet right on the football, pure luck more than anything.

Godfather
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm not a fan of Mendy because of his attitude. But I can't blame him for the Super Bowl fumble. That was an amazing defensive play, and not even Sweetness could have held on to that ball.

The Duke
10-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Mendy's fumble in the Super Bowl wasn't even his fault. He was holding the ball high and tight, just like you're taught. Matthews just made a great hit and got his helmet right on the football, pure luck more than anything.

This

it was not a "clutch fumble", rather a clutch play by Clay. They made a lot of those that day....

fansince'76
10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
He just does it at such good times though... in clutch time's... 'Clutch Fumblitous"...lol.

Mendenhall's fumble was tipping point of Super Bowl
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

LINK: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17314658

Steelers Vs. Ravens Score: Rashard Mendenhall's Fumble Lets Ravens Pad Lead

LINK: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/9/11/2418638/steelers-vs-ravens-score-rashard-mendenhall-joe-flacco

Bills draw even after Rashard Mendenhall fumble

LINK: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/28/bills-draw-even-after-rashard-mendenhall-fumble/

LB COACH TO CLAY M.: IT IS TIME !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtogcyuk4Q

If it wasn't for a very fortunate tackle by Ben, the Bus would've retired as a huge goat on a "clutch" fumble. And as far as opening day goes, the entire team got their asses kicked from the opening snap until the end of the 4th quarter.

steelreserve
10-09-2011, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't go as far as comparing him to Bettis. But Redman and Dwyer do bring exactly the element this offense needs, which is a guy with a no-bullshit running style - just runs hard, isn't afraid to take on linebackers and DBs, and falls forward.

We don't need another Bettis. Just a back who's sturdy and tough in his own right. I think these two guys fit that bill perfectly.

Mendenhall could be a great complement to that style, by the way, if/when he clears his head and gets out of whatever funk he's in. Not that I have any faith that our OC would take advantage of that; for some reason, it's been one guy getting a mandatory 85% of the carries for as long as I can remember.

Craic
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM
You may wanna re-read what i said...I said having 6 fumbles during a 4 year period is NOT fumblitious...but then said if someone wants to think he does...fine...to each his own...but i dont think he has it.

Ah, so what you're saying is, before I even posted, I had convinced you to such a degree that you ended up posting what you did just so that you could be in agreement with me before I posted.

Right?

:huh: :chuckle:

Craic
10-09-2011, 11:48 PM

No, if you take away Dwyer's long run...

fansince'76
10-09-2011, 11:55 PM

:buttkick: :chuckle:

steelreserve
10-10-2011, 12:02 AM

You probably should, if you want to make any kind of serious long-term comparison. Give him credit, but something like that isn't going to happen every game (which is the problem with trying to make general comparisons based on one game anyway).

I'm just making an educated guess, but if Dwyer played the whole game and got the ball more often, on average he'd probably be good for something like 75-90 yards on 20-25 carries, give or take. Which would be pretty solid if he could keep it up.

I know you were half-joking, by the way. Just thought this was worth bringing up.

Parker sucks!

st33lersguy
10-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Sadly Dwyer will be confined back to the bench, never to be heard from again once twinkletoes Mendenhall is healthy enough again

Steeldude
10-10-2011, 02:18 AM
dwyer doesn't remind me of bettis at all

Galax Steeler
10-10-2011, 03:47 AM
I thought he done a nice job.

katmandu
10-10-2011, 07:50 AM
I think his body type and running style are Bettis-like.

Now, if he could block better, not hesitate when hitting holes and keep his attitude right! He may go somewhere!

SteelerFanInStl
10-10-2011, 09:39 AM
dwyer doesn't remind me of bettis at all

Exactly. I don't see any comparison. Jerome was a big back with great feet who could make you miss or run over you. I haven't seen that in Dwyer.

Pristas
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Exactly. I don't see any comparison. Jerome was a big back with great feet who could make you miss or run over you. I haven't seen that in Dwyer.

seconded. Bettis was near impossible to bring down, guys just bounced off him.

GodfatherofSoul
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
This season, I don't know how many of the almost-fumbles he's been credited for, but there's been at least 1 for each start. And, his carrying fundamentals still suck. He's losing grip at least a lot.

7willBheaven
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Ah, so what you're saying is, before I even posted, I had convinced you to such a degree that you ended up posting what you did just so that you could be in agreement with me before I posted.

Right?

:huh: :chuckle:

Hahahaha....sure thats it...whatever makes you feel good Preacher haha :rofl:

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Mendy will have a great game once he is back and healthy. Mark my words. He is the type of player that Tomlin has to stay on top of. He understands being benched and then knows how to perform.

There is a difference in being bottled up by a good defense and missing holes and playing twinkle toes. I really expect him to attack when he gets his next start.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
This season, I don't know how many of the almost-fumbles he's been credited for, but there's been at least 1 for each start. And, his carrying fundamentals still suck. He's losing grip at least a lot.

uh good thing "almost" doesnt cut it in this league. Especially not "almost" fumbles :rolleyes:.

And this thread is hilarious. I dont think people are fathoming how big that meteor crater of a hole was. That was some insane blocking, especially by whoever was pulling. Looked like Pouncey or the left guard?

Chidi29
10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
uh good thing "almost" doesnt cut it in this league. Especially not "almost" fumbles :rolleyes:.

And this thread is hilarious. I dont think people are fathoming how big that meteor crater of a hole was. That was some insane blocking, especially by whoever was pulling. Looked like Pouncey or the left guard?

Think it was Legursky on the pull, Gilbert with the down block, and Johnson blocking a LB at the second level.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Dwyer has thin legs, a thick upper body and doesnt look like he hit the gym that much. He is the 2nd coming of LenDale White.

Nadroj 20
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
It was one nice run with some really good blocking. Nothing else was very impressive and I saw him dance badly on one play.

Let's not get too excited.

This. That was one of the best run blocking plays our line has had. It just so happened Dwyer was in the backfield when it happened. Anyone coulda hit that hole and ran as far as they could.

zulater
10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm not a fan of Mendy because of his attitude. But I can't blame him for the Super Bowl fumble. That was an amazing defensive play, and not even Sweetness could have held on to that ball.

A good example of Mendy's attitude was his body language and facial expressions on the sidelines when the Steelers were down inside the redzone on their 3rd touchdown. Instead of being supportive or following the action with intensity, he looked disengaged and sour.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
A good example of Mendy's attitude was his body language and facial expressions on the sidelines when the Steelers were down inside the redzone on their 3rd touchdown. Instead of being supportive or following the action with intensity, he looked disengaged and sour.

well that's not fair, how much can you judge from a guy just standing there.

zulater
10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
well that's not fair, how much can you judge from a guy just standing there.

They showed him twice, in a short time span, and he looked sour as shit and totally unsupportive of his teammates both times. Maybe it's not fair, but that's the impression he gave off none the less.

GodfatherofSoul
10-10-2011, 08:51 PM
uh good thing "almost" doesnt cut it in this league. Especially not "almost" fumbles :rolleyes:

It bothers me a LOT that he's bobbling the ball this much. Something is wrong and it hasn't been fixed. You can't count on falling on the ball when it's sliding out of your grasp and his luck seems to run out at the most inopportune times.

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
It bothers me a LOT that he's bobbling the ball this much

Bobbling is a great stretch. He holds it far from his body, usually in space that's fine. Some ball carriers need that strong arm swing to get their acceleration going. Mendy's been doing a better job of keeping it high and tight when there's defenders nearound.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Legursky sealed on the line pull, Johnson had a great down block inside and Miller sealed the outside. Yes, Carey Davis would have gone for 50 yds on that one.

And yes, this thread is hilarious. Kind of reminds me of when Dennis Dixon ran one for a TD in preseason and most here had him anointed as the next Mike Vick.

Silverback
10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
When Dwyer plows over Brian Urlacher (after already being hit once) on the goal line, for a TD...then we may revisit this conversation. Until then, nope.

steelpride12
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Can't resemble someone to the bus to got his first NFL start. Just way to early to compare him to a legend.

ALLD
10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I could read Hasselbeck's lips talking about how we did the same thing to him in the Super Bowl.

fansince'76
10-11-2011, 03:23 PM
And yes, this thread is hilarious. Kind of reminds me of when Dennis Dixon ran one for a TD in preseason and most here had him anointed as the next Mike Vick.

The Legend of John Kuhn was borne of a preseason game as well....

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/NavajoScout/johnkuhnhof.png

:lol:

PalmerSteel
10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
who do you all think is shaping up to play more from now on? redman or dwyer? i thought both were pretty impressive sunday so i am still in the air. was always for sure a redman guy but not sure now.

GodfatherofSoul
10-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Bobbling is a great stretch. He holds it far from his body, usually in space that's fine. Some ball carriers need that strong arm swing to get their acceleration going. Mendy's been doing a better job of keeping it high and tight when there's defenders nearound.

That's not was I'm complaining about. I'm talking about plays where because of how he holds it he loses or almost loses the ball and, due to a lucky fall or defender out of position, hasn't lost complete control.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
The Legend of John Kuhn was borne of a preseason game as well....

:lol: Good point. Dante Brown had some pretty good games in preseason too, but not the following of Frank Summers.

SteelGhost
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM
TOO SOON to tell if Dwyer can be compared to a young Jerome IMHO