PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean for Mendenhall?

Merchant
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Let's face it.. Mendy has been playing poorly all season. He's been indecisive hitting the hole, trying to dance his way to a big gain. Redman and Dwyer were both impressive today. Of course, having Max Starks in the lineup obviously helped. But do you guys think we'll be seeing less carries for Mendy and more opportunities for Redman and Dwyer?

zulater
10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Put it this way, Mendy better watch and learn, otherwise he can take a seat.

SteelerFanInStl
10-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Mendy has gained over 1000 yards the last two years and is still a young guy. Although he hasn't played great this year, he's not going to lose his job yet. Redman does need to be touching the ball more though and Mendy better stop dancing and start hitting the holes harder.

O'Malley
10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Sit him get him fresh, and sit him.... He needs to get hungry and not comfortable about having the starting job.. He does need to quit tap dancing in the backfield. But IMO should sit on the bench for a few(5-6) weeks!

Carolina Steelers
10-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I think Mendy is still the starter but with the way Redman hits that hole hard and fast looks impressive, Mendy rope has gotten shorter IMO, but like stated before Mendy is still young and should start when healthy

tube517
10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
You start mendy. Whether he is effective or not Redman is brought in to wear the opposing team down with Dwyer too.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Godfather
10-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Mendy might be a weapons-grade douchebag, and he might be our worst running back this year, but we should at least give him a chance to run behind the improving offensive line.

If Redman/MeMo/Dwyer continue to outplay him, then don't bring him back next season.

86WARD
10-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Nothing really. Just shows the Steelers have some decent depth at RB.

Pittsburgh43
10-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Maybe this is what Mendy needed. I remember when Coach T benched him a few seasons ago and he came back running on all cylinders. He's definitely been frustrated with the running game, lack of holes and such. But, of course, he hasn't exactly been hitting the available holes like a running back should. I'm pretty sure seeing Redman breaking through tackles and Dwyer going for over 100 yards won't sit well with him. Hope we see the RB that he's capable of being next week.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I think we're looking into too much, i think Redman is just going to get more touches from here on out. And if Redman and Moore get/stay healthy, i actually think that's the last of Dwyer we'll see this season. We arent going to activate 4 RB's on gameday

7willBheaven
10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I dont think it means much of anything...Mendy is the starter...and yes he hasnt been as good as he can be...the blame is not all on him...play calling, blocking (or lack there of), no lead blocker when there should be, etc...all play into it. He is still a good player. Though I would like to see more rotation at the position (and even dress Dwyer some and give him some touches too).

hotrodder07
10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
What does it mean? Not much. Maybe he'll share his carries a bit more, as Redman proved himself worthy today. But Mendenhall is still the starter. Has he looked poor at some points? Yeah. But is it him, or the offensive line? Redman has been able to come in and have some success late in games, but that is after the offense had time to adjust their schemes during the game. Today, Redman had 15 carries and averaged just over 3 yards per carry. Those aren't exactly stellar numbers. It's just that our offensive line cannot open up proper holes for our runningbacks. Mendenhall has proven himself to be a work horse in the backfield and a reliable every-down back. Nothing will change from this one game.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Redman did run hard, but let's be honest, the numbers weren't that great. It's not like he went off for 110. He showed us what we already knew. And what the coaching staff already knows. Nothing will change.

steelerdude15
10-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I hope it wakes him up and if it does, I hope that he gets back to his old ways.

BigNastyDefense
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't think the coaches are going to just up and bench a guy who has ran for over 1000 yards over the past few seasons and last season ran for 13 TD's last season.

However, I think they might be comfortable enough with Redman and Dwyer to let Mendenhall heal completely.

Redman didn't have a great YPC, but he's a tough runner who can grind out the tough yards when needed. Most of Dwyer's yards came on that 76 yard run through a hole you could have driven a semi through (and Mendy would have probably taken to the house). Take away that one run, and he didn't have that great of a day either.

I think once Mendenhall is healthy, he will again be the starter, partly because he has a track record that the rest of the backs on the roster don't. I hope this Sunday was a wake-up call for him & he hits the holes like we know he can.

kmsteelerwr15
10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
IMO it means Redman will get more carries to spell Mendy and plus a little competition should help him as well.

JayC
10-09-2011, 10:48 PM
redman should remain starter. he is superior to mendy in effort by a mile

steel9guy
10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Mendy has a ton of talent, better skills than Redman, however Redman plays harder. Won't change a thing even though I wish Redman would start.

Edman
10-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Mendenhall has the skillset and talent to be one of the best backs in the league, but Redman is running with more heart. Heart and effort trumps talent everytime.

What does this mean for Mendenhall when our Running game has been mostly invisible until now? It means he can potentially become expendable. He better start shaping up and stop dancing.

steelreserve
10-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Probably means what it always does: As long as Arians designated him as The Starter going into the season, he'll get 95% of the carries as long as he isn't on crutches. It doesn't matter if he's gaining 10 yards a carry or 0.1 yards a carry; he'll play every down as the lone RB unless he's injured or taking a quick breather. Unless things have changed, there is some unwritten rule that we're never allowed to mix it up at RB, unless out of necessity.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Probably means what it always does: As long as Arians designated him as The Starter going into the season, he'll get 95% of the carries as long as he isn't on crutches. It doesn't matter if he's gaining 10 yards a carry or 0.1 yards a carry; he'll play every down as the lone RB unless he's injured or taking a quick breather. Unless things have changed, there is some unwritten rule that we're never allowed to mix it up at RB, unless out of necessity.

It was Tomlin, not Arians, who said he'd run Willie Parker until the wheels fall off.

steelreserve
10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Well, then let's just say I'm glad the wheels fell off.

fansince'76
10-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, then let's just say I'm glad the wheels fell off.

:chuckle:

Texasteel
10-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Mendy is still our starting RB, but he needs to brake this habit he has developed of coming to a dead stop before he puts a move on the would be tackler.

HometownGal
10-10-2011, 06:11 AM
At this point, I don't think it really means anything except that we have some nice depth in the running game. I do believe Redman will be seeing more touches when Mendy is all healed up and hey - if BA wants to go with either a 2 or 3 headed monster, it's cool with me. Whatever gets the job done.

Burghfan58
10-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Mendenhall starts but if the performance of Redman and Dwyer don't light a fire under hiss a$$ then he will be sitting.