PDA

View Full Version : Hoke vs Hampton

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Not only do I not see a dropoff when Hampton is out of the lineup, I see a huge improvement in the push up the middle.

We saw it in 2004 when Hoke filled in for most of the season, but we see it nearly every single time Hoke subs for Hampton.

It's too bad that Hoke isn't 5 years younger. It's also too bad that the Steelers didn't draft Terrance Cody 2 years ago. Either one of these scenerios would have made Hampton expendable after this season. He still might be.

GBMelBlount
10-09-2011, 03:30 PM
At minimum, one can argue there has never been a drop off in play when Hoke has filled in.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Even at his old age and lack of size at the nose, Hoke has always found a way to get the job done.

The Duke
10-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't say he's expendable, but they are pretty equal

disagree about Cody though. Sooner or later he'll eat himself out of the league. Hampton at least can keep that under control for over 10 years!

Craic
10-09-2011, 03:34 PM

disagree about Cody though. Sooner or later he'll eat himself out of the league. Hampton at least can keep that under control for over 10 years!

Exactly. Hoke has always come in and played very well. But to make Snack expendable? I don't think so.

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
What difference does Hampton make in any game? He is always being driven back 5 yards. Hoke holds up better in the middle and today is not the first time we have seen it. Not to mention, Hoke gets a much better push in the pass rush.

I realize that he is a long time Steeler, but Hampton is finished.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Not only do I not see a dropoff when Hampton is out of the lineup, I see a huge improvement in the push up the middle.

We saw it in 2004 when Hoke filled in for most of the season, but we see it nearly every single time Hoke subs for Hampton.

It's too bad that Hoke isn't 5 years younger. It's also too bad that the Steelers didn't draft Terrance Cody 2 years ago. Either one of these scenerios would have made Hampton expendable after this season. He still might be.

uh it's easy to say with 20/20 hindsight. and part of it i would attribute to Hoke not getting chop blocked as much as Hampton, or so it generally appeared. Chidi if you're reading this could you put that into your weekly analysis? How many times Hoke gets chop blocked compared to Hampton? thanks

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
uh it's easy to say with 20/20 hindsight. and part of it i would attribute to Hoke not getting chop blocked as much as Hampton, or so it generally appeared. Chidi if you're reading this could you put that into your weekly analysis? How many times Hoke gets chop blocked compared to Hampton? thanks

Why are we looking for an exception to the rule here? Do you think that Tennessee didn't watch film of what has been working against the Steelers this season? Hoke makes a bigger impact than Hampton and he has proven that today and in the past.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Yeah, I can do that. I agree with you on first glance. The Titans don't run a ZBS, it's pretty much a power scheme with those big lineman, so I doubt he was cut very often. But he did a good job fighting off blocks, one where he was double-teamed and broke through, and got penetration. Big key to slowing down CJ or any back is to get him to go sideline to sideline and getting inside penetration like he did accomplishes that.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Do you think that Tennessee didn't watch film of what has been working against the Steelers this season? Hoke makes a bigger impact than Hampton and he has proven that today and in the past.

well of course they've seen what's been successful against the Steelers this season. and careful when you say Hoke has show that he's better in the past as well...dont forget what kind of stalwart he was for us the last decade.

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Savran just said on the radio that when Hoke starts, the Steelers are 16-1.

I bet the rush defense doesn't suffer a bit when he is in there.

zulater
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I can do that. I agree with you on first glance. The Titans don't run a ZBS, it's pretty much a power scheme with those big lineman, so I doubt he was cut very often. But he did a good job fighting off blocks, one where he was double-teamed and broke through, and got penetration. Big key to slowing down CJ or any back is to get him to go sideline to sideline and getting inside penetration like he did accomplishes that.

It hasn't just been on cut blocks, I've been saying for weeks, centers are easily handling Hampton man up on a majority of plays. He's been getting no push, has commanded few double teams, ad as a result our gap control has suffered. Maybe Hoke's big game will serve to motivate Big Snack? I don't think he's done, he just needs to play better.

slippy
10-09-2011, 04:12 PM
so hoke has started 17 games and hampton has started ... oh ... about 145 games. hmmm, just sayin'

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
so hoke has started 17 games and hampton has started ... oh ... about 145 games. hmmm, just sayin'

Jonathan Scott has started about 99% of the last 20 games at LT also....hmmm, just sayin'

Your logic doesn't work all the time.

oneforthetoe
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Exactly. Also, it's not like Hoke hasn't played in the earlier games when the run D was getting slashed. I like Hoke, but let's not overreact. Casey will be starting when he is healthy. Certainly, he has earned more playing time.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Jonathan Scott has started about 99% of the last 20 games at LT also....hmmm, just sayin'

Your logic doesn't work all the time.

Because the effect that Johnathan Scott has had on this franchise is toootally comparable to Casey Hampton. :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2011, 04:33 PM

disagree about Cody though. Sooner or later he'll eat himself out of the league. Hampton at least can keep that under control for over 10 years!I agree about Cody. Didn't look too impressive at all yet in the NFL . Finch from Wildcats.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 04:37 PM
It hasn't just been on cut blocks, I've been saying for weeks, centers are easily handling Hampton man up on a majority of plays. He's been getting no push, has commanded few double teams, ad as a result our gap control has suffered. Maybe Hoke's big game will serve to motivate Big Snack? I don't think he's done, he just needs to play better.

Everyone has looked bad, not just Hampton. So I can't be too critical of just him. I still think it's the schemes that get us.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I agree about Cody. Didn't look too impressive at all yet in the NFL . Finch from Wildcats.

Chuck Pagano complimented his play earlier in the week.

VTsteel
10-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Hoke had a good game today - most everyone did . . .

However, last week Hoke was pushed around really easily(go back and check the texans opening drive). Maybe he was hurt last week - I dunno . . .

Hoke will need to do that consistently for me to give up on Snack for next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Chuck Pagano complimented his play earlier in the week.

and Nipsy Russell complimented Finch in the movie too. I am happy for them both, but don't want either on the Steelers at NT.

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Because the effect that Johnathan Scott has had on this franchise is toootally comparable to Casey Hampton. :rolleyes:

Too many fans look at Hampton as if he is as active as Ngata and he has never been as disruptive as Ngata.

I've never been a fan of Hampton. You guys see something in him that I have never seen.

Steeldude
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
i said when hampton's contract was about up that he should be let go. hoke is the better option. now if hampton was 320-325lbs again it would be different.

shutdown
10-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Comparing Ngata to Hampton is ridiculous. Two entirely different responsibilities.

I've been teasing Chidi for a while with Hoke (I personally love the guy), but Hampton has two Superbowl rings as an anchor to that defensive line and has been in intricate part to arguably the best run defense of this decade.

Name me another 3-4 NT (not a DT or DE) that can stake claim to that....

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
He who performs, plays. We owe it to the fans to produce a winning team more so than we owe anything to any of the vets that are, regretfully, no longer able to perform. It is indeed very sad to see our star players age and become ineffective, but it is the coaches responsibility to field the best possible team, week in and week out.

BlastFurnace
10-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Comparing Ngata to Hampton is ridiculous. Two entirely different responsibilities.

I've been teasing Chidi for a while with Hoke (I personally love the guy), but Hampton has two Superbowl rings as an anchor to that defensive line and has been in intricate part to arguably the best run defense of this decade.

Name me another 3-4 NT (not a DT or DE) that can stake claim to that....

Ok..two right off the top I would take is Vince Wolfork and Jay Ratliff. Not to mention, it's not like Ngata hasn't played NT in games. Put him anywhere and he dominates.

The reason why I believe that he is replaceable, is because when he has been missing from the lineup over the years, there is absolutely no dropoff in play.

shutdown
10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Are you joking? In the last 5 seasons both the N.E. and DAL have cracked the top 5 in rushing defense once each! In those same 5 seasons the Steelers have never been higher than 3rd.

Again, Casey Hampton has been one of the MAIN STAPLES to one of the best (if not THE BEST) rush defenses of this decade. Wilfork or Ratliff don't even sniff that crown.

XxKnightxX
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Maybe a week off and some rest will get Casey back on track. Lets not forget that the lockout was the worst thing to happen to all the fatties in the league. I still wont forget about how Jeff saturday kicked his ass on that SNF game.

BlastFurnace
10-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Are you joking? In the last 5 seasons both the N.E. and DAL have cracked the top 5 in rushing defense once each! In those same 5 seasons the Steelers have never been higher than 3rd.

Again, Casey Hampton has been one of the MAIN STAPLES to one of the best (if not THE BEST) rush defenses of this decade. Wilfork or Ratliff don't even sniff that crown.

No, I'm not joking at all. Just watch Casey get driven back and/or chop blocked to no end when he comes back. It took Hoke one play to figure out how to counter balance the chop block. Casey hasn't figured it out in 4 games.

shutdown
10-11-2011, 04:08 PM
That's this season. I don't disagree Hamp is struggling this season.

My reaction was in regards to you never buying into him. That to me is a silly statement to make.

If we're solely talking about just this season, then yes Hampton isnt cutting it just yet... However his overall body of work speaks for itself.

BlastFurnace
10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
That's this season. I don't disagree Hamp is struggling this season.

My reaction was in regards to you never buying into him. That to me is a silly statement to make.

If we're solely talking about just this season, then yes Hampton isnt cutting it just yet... However his overall body of work speaks for itself.

That's cool. I never have been a fan of Casey's. Has he brought value to the Steelers over the years...yes. Do I think he is a great NT...no. I hope he figures it out this year because the Steelers need him to.

We had a big debate on this board last year, that you probably remember, about Jeff Reed. He was a Steeler I always liked, but many people didn't. There was an equal division about Gildon too.

Psycho Ward 86
10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Too many fans look at Hampton as if he is as active as Ngata and he has never been as disruptive as Ngata.

I've never been a fan of Hampton. You guys see something in him that I have never seen.

With hampton in the starting lineup since his rookie year:
Steelers Defense-->points allowed/total/rushing/passing

2001: 3rd/1st/1st/4th
2002: 16th/20th/1st/7th
2003: 16th/9th/12th/11th
2004: 1st/1st/1st/4th
2005: 3rd/3rd/4th/16th
2006: 11th/20th/3rd/9th
2007: 2nd/1st/3rd/3rd
2008: 1st/1st/2nd/1st
2009: 12th/5th/3rd/16th
2010: 1st/2nd/1st/12th
2011: 4th/2nd/16th/2nd

Apparently you don't see it on film, so many some stats will help. I'd have to say he's been doing something right.
Oh you poor thing. It must suck to be a fan of a team without the best defensive lineman in the AFC. How will we ever get by :rolleyes:.

Psycho Ward 86
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM

i think you met lower lol :chuckle:

shutdown
10-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Same thing. :P