PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith restructures deal

7willBheaven
10-08-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/10/steelers-extend-restructure-aaron-smith-contract-to-free-up-cap-room/

Restructured to lower cap number this year...but also added a year to the deal. I dont see any problem with this and was figuring they'd do it before the season. Either way he makes the same money...if they left it alone or did it this way...and if needed they can get an extra year out of him (even as a backup) for the same money.

Psycho Ward 86
10-08-2011, 02:27 PM
We barely saved money out of this and got one more year out of a sharply declining player. Not much to talk about.

oneforthetoe
10-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm surprised they would do that as well. We are probably just opening up cap space to bring back Sweeeeeeed.

Seriously, we probably did this in case we suffer more long-term injuries and have to sign someone. As for Aaron, I think he is finished after this year. On the other hand, we will not likely be drafting many defensive ends next year. So if he is healthy, I have no problem with him as a back-up, IF he shows he can still contribute and we don't need a roster spot for an addition NT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I think its insurance if another O lineman or LB is needed to be signed this season. Keisel, Hood, Heyward, McClendon, Hampton should all be back next season, along with a rookie draft pick. Smith should not be around next season and likely will not be a Steeler.

katmandu
10-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Smith should not be around next season and likely will not be a Steeler.So you think he'll go to the Steeler's West Retirement team out in AZ ?