PDA

View Full Version : RIP Al Davis

polamalubeast
10-08-2011, 09:47 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/10/8/2476966/al-davis-dead-oakland-raiders

R.I.P wow this was so unexpected

polamalubeast
10-08-2011, 09:48 AM
In these memorable 48 years, the Raiders have had 28 winning seasons(3 super bowl champions), including 16 in a row from 1965 through the 1980 World Championship season. In 34 of those seasons, the Raiders earned a record of .500 or better.

Davis' health was clearly declining in recent years though he remained active in the organization's day-to-day activities, often to much criticism.

The NFL just lost one of the all-time greats.

86WARD
10-08-2011, 09:48 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2u5uv0k.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
10-08-2011, 09:49 AM
wow. that's a whole lot of history gone right there. he sure had one hell of a run that's for sure!

X-Terminator
10-08-2011, 09:55 AM
As much as Steelers fans hated the Raiders and Al Davis, there is no question that Al is a legend and a pioneer in the NFL. This is no different than losing The Chief.

RIP, Al Davis. The NFL will never be the same without you.

The question now is who takes over? Maybe silver & black can comment.

The Duke
10-08-2011, 09:56 AM
damn, RIP Al, you were definitely one of the best

SteelerFanInStl
10-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I have no love for Al but he was an NFL icon. RIP Al.

steeldevil
10-08-2011, 10:35 AM
RIP. No doubt the man is an NFL legend.

crcsnail
10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
rip al . one of the first peeps i saw when the uk started broadcasting the nfl. definatly one hell of a charactor.

st33lersguy
10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
RIP Al Davis

Devilsdancefloor
10-08-2011, 11:27 AM
RIP Al Davis the NFL lost a Icon for sure

touchdownward
10-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Al Davis was hated by many but it is always a very sad occasion when someone passes.
RIP AD

ALLD
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I wonder if it was a silver bullet or wooden stake that got him.

tube517
10-08-2011, 11:46 AM
RIP Al.

I wonder who's been running the Raiders lately.

fansince'76
10-08-2011, 11:48 AM
RIP, Mr. Davis. The NFL just lost another "old schooler." :rip:

BigNastyDefense
10-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Damn. RIP Al Davis, a legend and NFL pioneer. The league wouldn't be the same without him.

Some Raider fans are mourning and some are in a state of happiness over the news.

silver & black
10-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow... I don't know what to say right now. I've spent 43 years as a Raiders fan with Al Davis at the helm. This is going to be a new experience, for sure.

We knew Al's health was failing, but we didn't know it was this bad. There were rumors that Al had turned the team over entirely to Hue Jackson, but of course, none of us really believed it.

As far as who will run the team, I'm not sure. I know the team is now owned by his wife. It was always known that Al wanted his son Marc to take over. Marc isn't a football guy, so I would guess there will be a GM hired to run the day to day football operations. Who that will be is not known. For now, I would guess Amy Trask and Hue Jackson will keep things rolling.

I now know how you older Steelers fans felt when you lost The Chief. Unfortunately, the Raiders aren't left in as competent of hands as the Steelers were/are. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

BigNastyDefense
10-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Wow... I don't know what to say right now. I've spent 43 years as a Raiders fan with Al Davis at the helm. This is going to be a new experience, for sure.

We knew Al's health was failing, but we didn't know it was this bad. There were rumors that Al had turned the team over entirely to Hue Jackson, but of course, none of us really believed it.

As far as who will run the team, I'm not sure. I know the team is now owned by his wife. It was always known that Al wanted his son Marc to take over. Marc isn't a football guy, so I would guess there will be a GM hired to run the day to day football operations. Who that will be is not known. For now, I would guess Amy Trask and Hue Jackson will keep things rolling.

I now know how you older Steelers fans felt when you lost The Chief. Unfortunately, the Raiders aren't left in as competent of hands as the Steelers were/are. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

To be honest, this might be the best thing that could have happened to the Raiders.

Al Davis was owner, general manager, and sometimes head coach. He had his hands deep in the football side of things with the Raiders, all decisions went through him...and if you questioned him you were either fired or benched.

I am expecting Hugh Jackson and Amy Trask to run the day-to-day operation until the ownership thing is figured out. I don't think Al Davis' wife has any interest in being the owner long term. I have a feeling she will be handing it over to Marc Davis, who will run the business side of the Raiders and bring in someone to run the football operation....either a President and General Manager or just a General Manager.

One thing is for sure, the Raiders are going to go through a huge change. Even when Bruce Allen was in an executive role with the Raiders while Gruden was coach, he was more of a buffer between Gruden and Davis than anything. All decisions still went through Al Davis, and if Davis said no, it didn't happen.

stillers4me
10-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Dan Rooney statement on Al DavisPosted 51 minutes ago

"Al Davis was a good man and we were friendly rivals. He was a football man and did a lot for the game of football. I had a lot of respect for him and he will be missed throughout the entire NFL."

Steelers Chairman Emeritus Dan Rooney

silver & black
10-08-2011, 02:10 PM
To be honest, this might be the best thing that could have happened to the Raiders.

Al Davis was owner, general manager, and sometimes head coach. He had his hands deep in the football side of things with the Raiders, all decisions went through him...and if you questioned him you were either fired or benched.

I am expecting Hugh Jackson and Amy Trask to run the day-to-day operation until the ownership thing is figured out. I don't think Al Davis' wife has any interest in being the owner long term. I have a feeling she will be handing it over to Marc Davis, who will run the business side of the Raiders and bring in someone to run the football operation....either a President and General Manager or just a General Manager.

One thing is for sure, the Raiders are going to go through a huge change. Even when Bruce Allen was in an executive role with the Raiders while Gruden was coach, he was more of a buffer between Gruden and Davis than anything. All decisions still went through Al Davis, and if Davis said no, it didn't happen.

Yeah, this is all well known throughout Raider Nation.

Bruce Allen is the reason Gruden had any success at all. The Raiders' most successful era was when Ron Wolf was there. Wolf is the only guy Al ever truly trusted. The franchise only had limited success after he left. Wolf was guy that did all the drafting. Obviously his departure hurt the Raiders big time in that department. It will be interesting to see what happens now that the Raiders will probably become a more "mainstream" team in how they approach things...... but I hope a little of the Al Davis attitude lives on. :wink02::jolly:

Count Steeler
10-08-2011, 03:02 PM
RIP Al. Will be interesting to see the changes in Oakland. Will they move to LA again?

oneforthetoe
10-08-2011, 03:38 PM
A legend no doubt. I have poked a lot of fun of him the few years, but in his hey day (which I think was in the 1700's - just kidding Al, RIP), he was a driving force, first in the AFL and then in the NFL.

As for the Raiders, the best thing might be for the family to sell them. While I doubt this will happen, the bidders would be a plenty and the price tag would be huge.

Edman
10-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I may have made fun of Al Davis for his crazy way he handled the Raiders, especially recently. But the Raiders wouldn't be the Raiders without him to begin with. Despite his crazy transgressions, but he is the face of the Raiders and an NFL legend and icon. RIP Al the Crazy Cryptkeeper.

Some Raider fans will be sad, but at the same time some will be relieved. The Raiders are finally free of Al's iron grip.

polamalubeast
10-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Just win Baby

steelerdiva
10-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, Al wasn't one of my favorite people to be sure. That said, though, his influence on the NFL cannot be denied.

Condolences to his family, friends, the team, and Raider Nation.

steel striker
10-08-2011, 06:25 PM
RIP Al Davis he was one of a kind and, the NFL has lost a great one. Who will ever forget some of his sayings just win baby, throw the deep ball. He had some great teams back in the day. It was interesting on the nfl network this morning they had Jerry Jones on and, he was really upset on the passing of Al Davis sounds like they were close friends.

HometownGal
10-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Al wasn't one of my favorite NFL owners, but the NFL has lost an icon. Thoughts and prayers out to the Davis family, the Raiders team and Raider Nation. :rip: Al.

Butch
10-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Loved or Hated Al was the one owner who was a real Thorn in the NFL's side...I for one will miss that!!!

Sorry for the loss Raider Nation, I hope it all turns out alright in the end. May Al rest in peace, his antics will be missed. There will never be another like him.

zulater
10-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Unexpected? Have you seen a picture of him in the last year.? I'd say more like overdue. I don't mean that to be cruel, but Al's been looking really bad for awhile now.

He had a good run, anyone who makes 80 can't claim they were cheated in this life.

zulater
10-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I wonder if it was a silver bullet or wooden stake that got him.

Too soon! Nah, just kidding it's not like we knew him or his family's going to be reading this thread. Al was pretty creepy looking allright. :lol:

The Patriot
10-08-2011, 09:47 PM
He was a colorful character that will be missed.

Chidi29
10-08-2011, 10:18 PM
He and the Steelers weren't exactly friends, but it's worth saying, as you guys have mentioned, that he was a big part of the NFL in the 70s. He just never adapted or changed his ways.

If memory serves, I think Ralph Wilson is the only other person alive who was an owner at the time of the merger (I know Dan Sr was there but the Chiefs was still the guy).

steelerdude15
10-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Rest in peace Al.

GBMelBlount
10-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Unexpected? I guess so...he looked terminal for years imo.

RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zf2UBp7fY

7willBheaven
10-08-2011, 10:58 PM
While it sucks to loose someone who meant a lot to the NFL and its history...as most have said...it could be a could thing for the organization...to finally start making smarter/better decisions/etc...and maybe bring the Raiders back to glory or close to it. They were already slightly heading in the right direction before...so hopefully for them that train will increase its speed so to speak. But of course i dont want them to become too good and beat out the Steelers/etc...just sayin, hahah.

tihmtahm
10-09-2011, 01:04 AM
As a Steeler fan I loved to hate him. That being said, I have nothing but respect for him because he always stood for what he believed and he never wavered from his vision. He, like the Rooneys, has always been one of the iconic faces of the NFL. This is a sad day for football. RIP Mr. Davis

Galax Steeler
10-09-2011, 07:59 AM
R.I.P

Godfather
10-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Agree.

I feel sorry for Al. He didn't have a close enough personal relationship with anyone, so there was nobody who could tell him it was time to step aside and let someone else run the show. Which caused him to go out on a nearly decade-long losing streak. The older fans will remember the winners of the '70s and '80s, and the good teams from about 10 years ago.

SteelerFan091472
10-09-2011, 08:04 PM
If memory serves, I think Ralph Wilson is the only other person alive who was an owner at the time of the merger (I know Dan Sr was there but the Chiefs was still the guy).

I think Bud Adams was also an owner at the time of the merger.

BigNastyDefense
10-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I think Bud Adams was also an owner at the time of the merger.

Yep, he owned the Titans which were then known as the Houston Oilers.

Chidi29
10-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Good call.

suitanim
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I had my fair share of criticism for Al over the years, and I'm not going to take any of it back, but I will say this: He was crazy, but he wasn't stupid. There IS a difference.

R.I.P.

silver & black
10-10-2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/5951/chuck-klosterman-remembering-oakland-raiders-owner-al-davis

zulater
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1110/nfl-al-davis-classic-photos/images/al-davis-jim-otto.jpg

zulater
10-10-2011, 08:44 PM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1110/nfl-al-davis-classic-photos/images/al-davis-hue-jackson.jpg

Not so much for me.

suitanim
10-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Maybe he meant that it was unexpected that he would live this long?

zulater
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
‘Mean’ Joe Greene remembers legend Al Davis

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-greene_remembering_al_davis_100811

As I and the rest of my Pittsburgh Steelers teammates prepared that week in late December 1974, we knew one thing: The road to the Super Bowl in the AFC went through Oakland.

To achieve your dreams as a team, you had to slay the Oakland Raiders. They were the barometer of what it took to be a championship team. They were the embodiment of Al Davis’ hard-driving style, nurtured by his devotion to them and their reciprocation. They were together in the very essential meaning of the word “team,” joined in purpose the way you design an organization.

To beat them, you had to be that same kind of force as a group.

That is what I admire most about Mr. Davis and his leadership of the Raiders. He may have passed away Saturday, but his imprint on the NFL is forever. As much as the Steelers and the Raiders spent the better part of a decade battling for supremacy in one of the fiercest rivalries in the history of the game, I have a place of admiration and appreciation in my soul for Mr. Davis. You may not have liked him, you may not have agreed with him, but you damn sure needed him.

With Mr. Davis, you knew the most important thing was the game. Yes, he had his team and he wanted to win. Ultimately, however, he was doing what was in the best interests of the game, of the NFL. Sometimes you need that contrarian, that person who pushes you because he’s not afraid to say what he thinks.

Lengthy article, worth reading. Gives you some perspective of an insiders view of the greatest rivalry in sports through the 70's.

silver & black
03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Great read. Thanks for posting it.

What he said in that article, is the reason I follow the Steelers, and come to this forum. Just like you guys are definitely not Raiders fans, I'm definitely not a Steelers fan... but, I remember those days.... I was fortunate enough to see those days unfold.... and experience those games between our teams. Those of us fortunate enough to have lived it, will never see anything like it again in the modern NFL.

I have many friends that are die hard Steelers fans. They all lived that era along with me. None of them ever make fun of me for being a Raiders fan, or the Raiders for their decade of losing.

I guess I march to the beat of a different drummer, but I can never be anything other than a Raiders fan.... and I'm proud to be one.

Count Steeler
03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
1 of my friends through high school was a Raiders fan. There was a mutual respect and uncertainty with each game played. It would be nice to see the Raiders rise up once again.

bayz101
03-04-2012, 04:11 PM
The Raiders have always been my wild-card team. If something goes wrong with Pittsburgh, i'm pulling for the Raiders. But, not to worry, we're always the team NO ONE want's to meet in the playoff's :D

zulater
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Great read. Thanks for posting it.

What he said in that article, is the reason I follow the Steelers, and come to this forum. Just like you guys are definitely not Raiders fans, I'm definitely not a Steelers fan... but, I remember those days.... I was fortunate enough to see those days unfold.... and experience those games between our teams. Those of us fortunate enough to have lived it, will never see anything like it again in the modern NFL.

I have many friends that are die hard Steelers fans. They all lived that era along with me. None of them ever make fun of me for being a Raiders fan, or the Raiders for their decade of losing.

I guess I march to the beat of a different drummer, but I can never be anything other than a Raiders fan.... and I'm proud to be one.

I posted that link with you in mind S&B. Glad you liked it.

People forget the Steelers and Raiders faced off in the playoffs 5 consecutive years, (72-76) including three straight in the AFC title game!(74-76) I doubt we'll ever see that happen again.