PDA

View Full Version : Is Aaron Smith finally done?

Merchant
10-07-2011, 12:24 AM
No-one's denying Smith's greatness. In his prime, he was the best 3-4 Defensive End of the decade. "Was" is the key word in that sentence though. I hate to admit it.. but it seems like Aaron is running on empty. He's aging, he can't stay healthy. I think it's safe to say this is Smith's final season.

Count Steeler
10-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Have to agree. Another injury will take him out of this weeks game. Sorry Aaron, time has caught up to you. We will miss you.

86WARD
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
I think so...

zulater
10-07-2011, 07:15 AM
While I agree that this is likely Smith's final season, I'm not so sure that he wont come back and give this team a quality season this year. He's showing signs of coming around, I've seen several plays each of the last two weeks where he got the job done like the Aaron of old. It doesn't usually show up on the stat sheet in the form of tackles or sacks, but he's getting some good surge and influencing plays the right way here and there. But granted he's not close to the Aaron of old.

It's easy to point at Aaron's age and recent injury history and assume he's done because of these factors. But I think it's worth pointing out that Ziggy Hood has probably played as many downs as Aaron and hasn't done anything of note so far either. He along with Casey Hampton, and Chris Hoke all are off their game so far this season. So unless everyone got old overnight, which I doubt is true of Ziggy, then I have to think there's other factors in play here. My guess is that the disjointed offseason weighs in on this. Look around the league and defensive play is below the line on a lot of teams. So I think we owe it to Aaron to at least wait until midseason before completely writing him off.

suitanim
10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm hoping the same. He seemed to show up a little more last week. Hopefully he was just rusty, or wasn't 100% back up to strength or snuff or whatever. Admittedly, this is at least a little bit wishful thinking, but it's possible that he could be getting back into form.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I think he is done, but it at least gives a better chance for Hood and even Heyward to get more reps. They are the future of the line.

Pencil in that James Farrior looks like a liability on defense also, with no apparent successor other than Larry Foote.

Bluecoat96
10-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Pencil in that James Farrior looks like a liability on defense also, with no apparent successor other than Larry Foote.

Here's a thought. Would Aaron Curry be an option? The Seahags are shopping him. Would he work better in our system than whatever they run out there? Just a thought.

steelpride12
10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I think this will be his last season, but I know he will give it his all the rest of the way only if he can stay healthy.

7willBheaven
10-07-2011, 12:30 PM
While I agree that this is likely Smith's final season, I'm not so sure that he wont come back and give this team a quality season this year. He's showing signs of coming around, I've seen several plays each of the last two weeks where he got the job done like the Aaron of old. It doesn't usually show up on the stat sheet in the form of tackles or sacks, but he's getting some good surge and influencing plays the right way here and there. But granted he's not close to the Aaron of old.

It's easy to point at Aaron's age and recent injury history and assume he's done because of these factors. But I think it's worth pointing out that Ziggy Hood has probably played as many downs as Aaron and hasn't done anything of note so far either. He along with Casey Hampton, and Chris Hoke all are off their game so far this season. So unless everyone got old overnight, which I doubt is true of Ziggy, then I have to think there's other factors in play here. My guess is that the disjointed offseason weighs in on this. Look around the league and defensive play is below the line on a lot of teams. So I think we owe it to Aaron to at least wait until midseason before completely writing him off.

This!

X-Terminator
10-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I think he is done, but it at least gives a better chance for Hood and even Heyward to get more reps. They are the future of the line.

Stevenson Sylvester...?

As for Smith, hard as it is for me to say, I think he is done. He's had a wonderful career, though, without a doubt.

BigNastyDefense
10-07-2011, 01:41 PM
I love Aaron Smith, he's the best 3-4 defensive end to ever play for the Steelers, and the most underrated defensive end of the last decade for sure.

Maybe he's finally rounding back into his true playing shape, because he has been doing better as of late. But he's once again hurt, and he's not the future of this offensive line....Ziggy Hood and Cam Heyward are.

If Aaron Smith doesn't retire at the end of this season (and I think he will), then the Steelers are going to cut him (make room under the salary cap, we are reportedly already over next year's cap). But I think once he gets back on the field, he will damn sure give it his all, because he always has.

steelreserve
10-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Look around the league and defensive play is below the line on a lot of teams.

That, more than anything, could explain a lot of what's going on here. All those offseason camps, what happened? Run by the quarterbacks, and everyone probably practiced offense most of the time and defense when they could. The offenses probably benefited a lot more from that; timing and precision you can pick up on your own. Defense, there's a lot more reacting, and adapting throughout the game, and it probably helps a hell of a lot more if you have the coaches around to get you used to that. Seems pretty logical that offense-heavy teams would be ready for the season a lot more than teams that depend on their defense, which basically means just us.

Having said that, injuries have been a problem for Smith for about 3 years now, and elsewhere on the defense we're showing more signs of age than I'd like, although it's hard to tell how much is age and how much is not being ready at this point.

ALLD
10-08-2011, 07:44 AM
This team will be missing some familar names next season.

Psycho Ward 86
10-08-2011, 08:23 AM
This team will be missing some familar names next season.

no doubt. And Smith is definitely done. going on IR 3 times since 2007 (All different injuries too) is going to catch up to you sometime. Not to mention whatever injury he has right now. He just cant stay on the field anymore, and when he does, he's become a liability. Thanks for the memories Smith.

The WH
10-08-2011, 03:21 PM
"For the times, they are a changin'"

steelerdude15
10-08-2011, 10:40 PM
An amazing and important player for this team no doubt, but it's time to say goodbye.

KeiselPower99
10-09-2011, 02:39 PM
This team will be missing some familar names next season.Ward Farrior And Smith probably won't be back next year.

SteelerFanInStl
10-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Cam Heyward was making some plays in there today. I'd like to see him get some more playing time.

steeldevil
10-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Smith should come off the bench the rest of the year IMO.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Smith should come off the bench the rest of the year IMO.

why. This might be the best O-line we've faced all year and our D-line, including Ziggy didnt get pushed around like he did.

zulater
10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Cam Heyward was making some plays in there today. I'd like to see him get some more playing time.

I'm sure he will. The coaches might be stubborn, but they're not blind. The kid has some major game, going to be a real good one very soon.

steeldevil
10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
why. This might be the best O-line we've faced all year and our D-line, including Ziggy didnt get pushed around like he did.

And thats why he should come off the bench. As in not start.

zulater
10-09-2011, 05:52 PM
For those of you that are writing off Aaron Smith. A week ago today you probably were doing the same with Hines Ward.( raises hand in shame :lol:) Thank you, that is all.