PDA

View Full Version : Steelers take steps to address lackluster play

zulater
10-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Fans clamoring for change after the Steelers' 17-10 loss in Houston will have to settle for an adjustment to the team's practice routine.

Coach Mike Tomlin all but said Tuesday that the Steelers will practice twice in pads this week -- one more than usual -- as they work on fundamentals such as blocking and tackling.

The collective bargaining agreement ratified in August permits 14 practices in pads during the regular season. Teams are allowed two padded practices in the same week only once during the season.

"There's no time like the present, given how we've performed," Tomlin said at his weekly news conference.

Indeed, the Steelers' two victories have come against teams that have one win combined. They have 10 more turnovers than takeaways -- they are last in the NFL in that category -- and an offense loaded with talented skill players ranks near the bottom of the league in scoring.

Tomlin said his players "better have a sense of urgency" as they prepare for a 1 p.m. game Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans, and that "they are hacked off, and they should be."

But he didn't waver from his postgame comments in Houston, reiterating that the Steelers' problems can be fixed with a back-to-basics approach this week at practice.

"We are not going to make something out of this that it's not," he said of the Steelers' 2-2 start. "We understand that we are capable of playing better. We know where the solutions lie -- within us and how we prepare, and ultimately how we perform. We have to get better technically. We have to get better from an assignment standpoint, not only on defense but also on offense and special teams."

Cornerback William Gay said shoddy tackling contributed to the Steelers allowing 155 rushing yards to Arian Foster last Sunday. Foster became the third running back to average more than 5 yards carry against the Steelers this season.

They yielded just 3.0 yards per carry in 2010.

"We just missed tackles," Gay said of the Steelers' play against the Texans. "If you look at the film, that's all you see. We are going to correct that. That's a must for our defense."

Tomlin said some of the Steelers' problems have been magnified and perhaps even blown out of proportion because of high expectations that are a product of past success.

"There is a fine line in performing well and sub-standard," he said, specifically in regard to the Steelers' run defense. "Some of the mistakes are mental, some are physical. They are not all centrally located in one person or position. But when you add those things up over the course of a football game, you get eight to 10 snaps where someone is letting you down either mentally or physically. Then you have the opportunity to give up some big yards."

There is a limit to what the Steelers can do in practice because there is no actual tackling. But veteran free safety Ryan Clark said the Steelers can make necessary corrections through a renewed commitment to getting better

Read more: Steelers take steps to address lackluster play - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760211.html#ixzz1ZtwTZzeD

Count Steeler
10-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Let's see how this translates to the field on Sunday. Though my confidence has taken a beating, I am still hoping for their first solid team performance against a decent opponent.

zulater
10-05-2011, 05:33 AM
I said this on another thread, and I'll say it again. If you really want to know who to blame for the Steelers inept tackling and overall poor run defense, blame Goodell, and his new sissified version of the league. I know it's easy to say the Steelers got old overnight, you see Farrior taking a bad angle and you can attribute it to being a year older, same for "Big Snack, Chris Hoke, and Aaron Smith. But watching these plays again and again and again on NFL rewind, and something's occurring to me. It's not just the older guys being late to the play, it's also Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and Ziggy Hood. So did they get old overnight too? I really think what this comes down to is that in LeBeau's defense you need to be razor sharp and on the mark with your play. If one guy is two feet off his mark, someone else tries to overcompensate and you lose gap control. Anyway I'm already seeing positive signs of things coming around, particularly with the rush defense. Outside of Foster's one brilliant individual effort ( his 46 yard td run) the Steelers defense really played well for the final 3 quarters against the Texans.

zulater
10-05-2011, 06:58 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say the Steelers reach the halfway point at 5-3 or better.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I said this on another thread, and I'll say it again. If you really want to know who to blame for the Steelers inept tackling and overall poor run defense, blame Goodell, and his new sissified version of the league. I know it's easy to say the Steelers got old overnight, you see Farrior taking a bad angle and you can attribute it to being a year older, same for "Big Snack, Chris Hoke, and Aaron Smith. But watching these plays again and again and again on NFL rewind, and something's occurring to me. It's not just the older guys being late to the play, it's also Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and Ziggy Hood. So did they get old overnight too? I really think what this comes down to is that in LeBeau's defense you need to be razor sharp and on the mark with your play. If one guy is two feet off his mark, someone else tries to overcompensate and you lose gap control. Anyway I'm already seeing positive signs of things coming around, particularly with the rush defense. Outside of Foster's one brilliant individual effort ( his 46 yard td run) the Steelers defense really played well for the final 3 quarters against the Texans.

How is any of that Goodell's fault?

Our defense was pretty good last year when the stricter punishments/rulings were first implemented.

86WARD
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
It's not Goodells fault the team sucks right now on both sides of the ball.

SteelerFanInStl
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
How is any of that Goodell's fault?

Our defense was pretty good last year when the stricter punishments/rulings were first implemented.

This is what he's talking about:

The collective bargaining agreement ratified in August permits 14 practices in pads during the regular season. Teams are allowed two padded practices in the same week only once during the season.

I agree with him. Not letting teams practice in pads is ridiculous. It really hurts the defense. I was talking about this in the game thread this past week.

tube517
10-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say the Steelers reach the halfway point at 5-3 or better.

The halfway point of this week's game? 5-3 won't be too bad. A safety and field goal. :chuckle:

Seriously, I'd take 5-3 at the halfway point.

GodfatherofSoul
10-05-2011, 10:42 AM

I agree with him. Not letting teams practice in pads is ridiculous. It really hurts the defense. I was talking about this in the game thread this past week.

I'm hoping this won't be much of an issue during a full season when players have participated in full-length camps.

SteelerFanInStl
10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm hoping this won't be much of an issue during a full season when players have participated in full-length camps.

Full length camps will help but we've got a veteran heavy team and it's affecting us now. I don't see how we can expect the players to 'turn it off' during the week and then 'turn it on' during the game. Only allowing a maximum of 14 practices in pads during a 17 week season is ridiculous. You've got to allow at least one practice in pads each week.

smokin3000gt
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
They're only aloud to practice with pads X amount of times per week? How about "as many as it takes"? Obviously they need it, even if practice sucks a little more with pads. I'm surprised something like that is even in the CBA.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 11:43 AM

It's not like you can't practice in pads at all. You can once a week and once a season, you're allowed to do it twice.

You don't need pads to work on timing and gap control. You can run that in just helmets to help get the timing down.

Besides, a lot of the older guys get held out of practice or are limited and not a part of the full contact.

smokin3000gt
10-05-2011, 11:59 AM
It's not like you can't practice in pads at all. You can once a week and once a season, you're allowed to do it twice.

You don't need pads to work on timing and gap control. You can run that in just helmets to help get the timing down.

Besides, a lot of the older guys get held out of practice or are limited and not a part of the full contact.

Are you saying there is no difference between playing with pads and not? No difference between game time wearing full pads and practice without?

I think a coach should be able to coach his team. If he thinks the team needs more time in pads for whatever reason, there shouldn't be a black and white paragraph saying otherwise. These guys want to work less and get paid more to do it. BS IMO.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Are you saying there is no difference between playing with pads and not? No difference between game time wearing full pads and practice without?

I think a coach should be able to coach his team. If he thinks the team needs more time in pads for whatever reason, there shouldn't be a black and white paragraph saying otherwise. These guys want to work less and get paid more to do it. BS IMO.

There is a difference but it isn't a physical problem. You can still work on the timing in shorts. You can still learn about the Texans' tendencies in the film room.

If we were missing too many tackles, not being physical enough, then it'd be a pads issue. But this is more of a mental problem than a physical one.

zulater
10-05-2011, 12:31 PM
You don't get the right intensity if you don't practice in pads imo. And if you don't have the right intensity for a practice you're timing is going to be off. And if your timing is off you wont have proper gap control. And with LeBeau's defense that's everything. Think about it, for years this defense has been solid against the run. So what's different? Yeah we know a couple guys are a little older, but Ziggy Hood isn't close to being where he was at the end of last year, same with Woodley and Timmons. and don't tell me it's lack of intensity, Woodley's a workout warrior, Timmons doesn't have an extra ounce of body fat either.

It's all about timing. You don't practice in pads, and you're just that little bit off that spells the difference between arun stuff and a 6 yard gain.

I think they'll adjust in time, and honing up the intensity of this weeks practice will go a good ways to getting them where they need to be.

Spike
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Steelers RE Brett Keisel says he will return from his sprained PCL in Week 5 against Tennessee.

https://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac/st...35958595661824

SteelerFanInStl
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
You don't get the right intensity if you don't practice in pads imo. And if you don't have the right intensity for a practice you're timing is going to be off. And if your timing is off you wont have proper gap control. And with LeBeau's defense that's everything. Think about it, for years this defense has been solid against the run. So what's different? Yeah we know a couple guys are a little older, but Ziggy Hood isn't close to being where he was at the end of last year, same with Woodley and Timmons. and don't tell me it's lack of intensity, Woodley's a workout warrior, Timmons doesn't have an extra ounce of body fat either.

It's all about timing. You don't practice in pads, and you're just that little bit off that spells the difference between arun stuff and a 6 yard gain.

I think they'll adjust in time, and honing up the intensity of this weeks practice will go a good ways to getting them where they need to be.

Agreed. When you're in practice without pads, you're pulling up instead of following through with the play when you get to the ball. That throws off the timing. When you're practicing without pads all the time, you're used to slowing down and pulling up when you get to the ball and then it's difficult to not do that when you're in the actual game. I see players all the time that are just trying to arm tackle the ball carrier. That's what you do in practice when you're not in pads.

No practice in pads = one step closer to flag football

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 01:50 PM

It's not like we're getting to practice in pads at all. And I'm sure there were times, especially later in the year, where we practiced in pads just once a week to conserve the defense's energy for Sunday.

I've been saying for a long time that teams that use ZBS have more success against us. And we just faced two of the teams that are best in the league at it. The Colts and Texans. Plus, you know Aaron Smith, the usual lynchpin of the DL, has really struggled this season.

zulater
10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
It's not like we're getting to practice in pads at all. And I'm sure there were times, especially later in the year, where we practiced in pads just once a week to conserve the defense's energy for Sunday.

I've been saying for a long time that teams that use ZBS have more success against us. And we just faced two of the teams that are best in the league at it. The Colts and Texans. Plus, you know Aaron Smith, the usual lynchpin of the DL, has really struggled this season.

So has Ziggy, and Big Snack.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
So has Ziggy, and Big Snack.

I thought Hampton has played well. He's just been cut so much and taken out of plays. But he's getting consistent penetration.

zulater
10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I thought Hampton has played well. He's just been cut so much and taken out of plays. But he's getting consistent penetration.

In all honestly I'm seeing a lot of plays where Hampton is being stood straight up or being driven back by the center on a one on one block. No cut or zone blocking involved.

Moose
10-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't see ANYONE on this team playing well. Sorry, this team sux right now ! Ben doesn't have it together, Mendy can't pick up anything, the line's are terrible ( offense and defense) the CB's can't cover and are getting toasted constantly, the play calling is more than terrible....etc., etc., etc.. I just can't stomach watching this team play. I'm not buying into all the hype of the lack of preseason and new rules on playing/tackling. These things apply to all teams and I don't see anyone else having problems, i.e. New England. For some reason our players just seem uninterested in the game. I know I made a comment in a thread awhile back on seeing Ben 'smiling'' and joking on the sideline and was bashed for that, even though that still pissed me off, I'm not going there again. This team just sux right now, and sorry to say, time is running out. Baltimore kicked our ass big time the 1st game, a division loss.... if things don't turn arouind NOW...the bungholes will kick our ass - another divsion loss, then Baltimore will kick our ass again, and so on .....we could end up with 3 to 4 division losses... and you know that's not getting us into any play off games.

zulater
10-05-2011, 02:27 PM
A lot of teams including the Packers and Patriots are having defensive issues, but it's not so noticeable because they're offenses are putting up points.

If the Steelers could actually score some points themselves a lot of these defensive issues wouldn't seem so bad. After all since the opener we've only allowed 30 points total in 3 games.

Moose
10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Nah, I ain't buying into the 30 pts total crap either. They were teams that are crap also. If Manning was playing in Indy's game you and I both know they would have stomped our asses big time. We'd be 1 - 3 !!!

zulater
10-05-2011, 02:40 PM
If you hold the texans to 17 points in Houston then obviously someone has done something right on defense.

Moose
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh, now you are talking about just 1 game. Sorry, still not impressed or satisfied with holding them to 17 pts. and us only scoring 10 !! Watch game again, they put it to us.

zulater
10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh, now you are talking about just 1 game. Sorry, still not impressed or satisfied with holding them to 17 pts. and us only scoring 10 !! Watch game again, they put it to us.

I've watched it again have you? Basically both teams had three drives worth noting. The Texans scored 17 points, despite only having 2 red zone possessions. The Steelers of course only managed to score 10 points despite having 3 possessions end up in the red zone. Tell me what the Texans did in their other possessions that is supposed to impress me?

oneforthetoe
10-05-2011, 04:33 PM
They're only aloud to practice with pads X amount of times per week? How about "as many as it takes"? Obviously they need it, even if practice sucks a little more with pads. I'm surprised something like that is even in the CBA.

Can't really blame Gooofdale for this one. The limited practices were a major issue for the players in the CBA. I'm sure many coaches were not happy, but it is the price the owners were willing to pay to get labor peace for the next 10 years.

Interestingly enough, the lack of full pad practices was the reason cited by Al Davis for abstaining from the vote (or did he vote against?).

So, that means Al Davis is the voice of reason.

:eek:

Somebody hold me.

zulater
10-06-2011, 05:43 AM
The Steelers practiced in pads Wednesday and are expected to do the same Thursday. Teams are only allowed to practice twice in pads in the same week once during the season, per the new collective bargaining agreement. Inside linebacker James Farrior, echoing coach Mike Tomlin's sentiments, said the time is right for the Steelers to have back-to-back padded practices.

"It gives everybody a better look in practice," the Steelers' defensive captain said. "It helps your timing. It gives you a better feel for what you need to be doing in the game."

Read more: Steelers defensive end Keisel set for return - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_760441.html#ixzz1ZzsmPa2F

Moose
10-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Sorry zulater, I haven't watched it again, don't need to and I can't stomach watching it again. Didn't say I was 'impressed' with Houston you said you were impressed with holding them to 17 pts, I'm just not impressed with the Steeler's plays or wins.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2011, 06:21 AM
It's week five and after something like 14 seasons in the NFL, James Farrior needs a better feel of what to do in games? I call BS.

Sorry potsie, that guy behind u is father time and he just caught you.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Sorry zulater, I haven't watched it again, don't need to and I can't stomach watching it again. Didn't say I was 'impressed' with Houston you said you were impressed with holding them to 17 pts, I'm just not impressed with the Steeler's plays or wins.

I agree, I watched it twice, and giving up something like 160yds rushing, but only 17 points and saying it's a good performance is like...."other than that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln "?

zulater
10-06-2011, 06:44 AM
I agree, I watched it twice, and giving up something like 160yds rushing, but only 17 points and saying it's a good performance is like...."other than that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln "?

So 17 points has somehow become insurmountable?

I'm not saying the defense doesn't have issues, that more isn't needed and expected of them, but sorry, there's two teams out there, and if you go into Texas and only give up 17 points, you've given your team a chance to win, period.

10 points on offense, not so much.

Moose
10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm not going to keep kicking a damn dead dog zulater. I'm saying the Steeler's played like crap that game, as 'everyone' has agreed, 17pts doesn't do a damn thing for me....hell, their QB could have wrote a book back there most of the time, there was NO rush put on him. They probably only scored 17pts because they knew they didn't need anymore !! It's early yet in the season, and hopefully they make changes and get the ball rolling THIS weekend.....it's time to start on the winning track NOW !!

zulater
10-06-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm not going to keep kicking a damn dead dog zulater. I'm saying the Steeler's played like crap that game, as 'everyone' has agreed, 17pts doesn't do a damn thing for me....hell, their QB could have wrote a book back there most of the time, there was NO rush put on him. They probably only scored 17pts because they knew they didn't need anymore !! It's early yet in the season, and hopefully they make changes and get the ball rolling THIS weekend.....it's time to start on the winning track NOW !!

So do you think the Texans were feeling as if they didn't need any more points when the Steelers lined up first and 10 at the Houston 48 with 3.33 left in the 4th quarter?

steeldawg
10-06-2011, 09:14 AM
The Steelers practiced in pads Wednesday and are expected to do the same Thursday. Teams are only allowed to practice twice in pads in the same week once during the season, per the new collective bargaining agreement. Inside linebacker James Farrior, echoing coach Mike Tomlin's sentiments, said the time is right for the Steelers to have back-to-back padded practices.

"It gives everybody a better look in practice," the Steelers' defensive captain said. "It helps your timing. It gives you a better feel for what you need to be doing in the game."

Read more: Steelers defensive end Keisel set for return - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_760441.html#ixzz1ZzsmPa2F

You could maybe make a case for the limit of padded practices hurting us, but the guys on the other teams are following the same rules and are showing up prepared.

PalmerSteel
10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
the padded practices probably hurt our team's makeup, style, and mentality of play more than any other franchise in the league like many have said, but since we are a great franchise, we need to learn how to adapt, and that starts this sunday.

Moose
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Ugh. Never mind zu, you're just reaching.

zulater
10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Ugh. Never mind zu, you're just reaching.

With this?
So do you think the Texans were feeling as if they didn't need any more points when the Steelers lined up first and 10 at the Houston 48 with 3.33 left in the 4th quarter?

Not reaching at all Moose, that's the facts, the Steelers had the ball 1st and 10 at the Texans 48 yard line with a time out at their disposal and 3.30 left on the game clock. So when the Steelers forced punts on the two series that led us to this point of the game, you're still claiming that the Texans could have scored more but just weren't that interested?

Yeah Ok, sorry if the facts don't fit your version of reality.

Moose
10-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Zu, it was a 'sarcastic comment'....damn man, don't be so damn serious about a statement. And by' reaching ' I meant you are looking for things to pick apart. Sorry, I thought you were familiar with different terms. And as far as 'facts' fitting my version of reality....LOL, I don't give a crap about facts. The Houston game was crap....we played like crap...

X-Terminator
10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Penalties are why the Texans only scored 17 points.

zulater
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM

17-13 would have been a more accurate reflection of how the game actually was played. Do you really think the Texans deserve any sort of credit for David Johnson's brain fart of a block attempt on what should have been a chip shot ( 30 yards) field goal by the Steelers at the end of the half?

As far as the called back pick 6, it was nothing more than window dressing, the game was essentially over the second the Texans downed their last punt at the Steelers 1 yard line.

zulater
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Zu, it was a 'sarcastic comment'....damn man, don't be so damn serious about a statement. And by' reaching ' I meant you are looking for things to pick apart. Sorry, I thought you were familiar with different terms. And as far as 'facts' fitting my version of reality....LOL, I don't give a crap about facts. The Houston game was crap....we played like crap...

They need to play better in all aspects of the game, no argument there. But the Steelers weren't as far off as people think. Outside of the first two Texan drives the Steelers defense played an acceptable road game.

One of the things that bothers me is that people lose sight of the fact that there are two teams out there. Outside of one great individual effort by Arain Foster on his 46 yard touchdown run the Steelers defense played pretty well for the games final 40 minutes. There's definitely something to build on, and after all that's what this thread is all about, "Steelers take steps to address lackluster play." is the name of thread remember.

86WARD
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM

^this!

The officiating crew threw almost twice as many flags on the Texans as they did on the Steelers. Included were the fumble lost and interception that were overturned by penalties.

zulater
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
^this!

The officiating crew threw almost twice as many flags on the Texans as they did on the Steelers. Included were the fumble lost and interception that were overturned by penalties.

Again, taken in the context of the game, the disallowed td's didn't tell the story , unless you really think that blocking 30 yard field goals is a new bold strategy that teams are going to embrace.

86WARD
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
They were far, far off from Steeler football. They can't execute the fundamentals of the game at this point. They can't block, they have trouble tackling and it's becoming a trend week after week. Teams start to become what they will be around Weeks 4 and 5 and this team is becoming a sub .500 team if they don't go through some changes real quick.

O'Malley
10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Agreed. When you're in practice without pads, you're pulling up instead of following through with the play when you get to the ball. That throws off the timing. When you're practicing without pads all the time, you're used to slowing down and pulling up when you get to the ball and then it's difficult to not do that when you're in the actual game. I see players all the time that are just trying to arm tackle the ball carrier. That's what you do in practice when you're not in pads.

No practice in pads = one step closer to flag football

I see them pulling up during the game... Unsure of how hard you can hit someone thus creating missed tackles... But on the flip side I still see teams that the league has allowed to hit, without punishment.. Nagta hit Sanchez last week clearly lead with the crown of his helmet and nothing.. A Steelers player hits a Qb like that automatic 15 yards and fine.. Hines got blasted last week against the Texans "without being given the oppurtunity to turn up field" by the rules a defenseless receiver, nothing.. Clark makes that hit 15 yard penaty and a fine.... So many of the rules are up to interpretation that they can call what ever they deem correct and be correct... I watched the Ravens game this week and could not believe my eyes.. They are still allowed to play the game like the Steelers used too... Sick of this new NFL and the obvious control the refs have on the outcome of the game! Although a ton of calls went our way against the Texans, IMO they were too obvious not to get a flag... But I also saw a few slip between the cracks. Anybody else see the helmet to helmet Ben received that made his helmet fly off? Haven't seen a replay of it yet and no fine... James gets held every play no call... Last time I checked you cant wrap your arm around a players neck and tackle them, yet LT's are alowed to do it constantly against James... What about the pulling guard giving James a helmet to helmet block? Broke his orbital bone and put him out of the game and out for a few weeks, no call no fine no replay on ESPN... Just part of te game? You don't see a Steelers player getting away with these hits... They have taken the ability to play with physicality from the Steelers... Used to be able to make a reveiver think twice about going over the middle, not any more.. Used to be able to set a tone and physically dominate a team, not any more... The other teams know we are not allowed to hit and take advatage of it... Yet I see games every week with hits that don't draw flags or attention from anybody, but if they were wearing black and gold it would most certianly be a flag and fine... Fed up with it... The NFL is a joke, and IMO rigged....

SteelerFanInStl
10-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I see them pulling up during the game... Unsure of how hard you can hit someone thus creating missed tackles... But on the flip side I still see teams that the league has allowed to hit, without punishment.. Nagta hit Sanchez last week clearly lead with the crown of his helmet and nothing.. A Steelers player hits a Qb like that automatic 15 yards and fine.. Hines got blasted last week against the Texans "without being given the oppurtunity to turn up field" by the rules a defenseless receiver, nothing.. Clark makes that hit 15 yard penaty and a fine.... So many of the rules are up to interpretation that they can call what ever they deem correct and be correct... I watched the Ravens game this week and could not believe my eyes.. They are still allowed to play the game like the Steelers used too... Sick of this new NFL and the obvious control the refs have on the outcome of the game! Although a ton of calls went our way against the Texans, IMO they were too obvious not to get a flag... But I also saw a few slip between the cracks. Anybody else see the helmet to helmet Ben received that made his helmet fly off? Haven't seen a replay of it yet and no fine... James gets held every play no call... Last time I checked you cant wrap your arm around a players neck and tackle them, yet LT's are alowed to do it constantly against James... What about the pulling guard giving James a helmet to helmet block? Broke his orbital bone and put him out of the game and out for a few weeks, no call no fine no replay on ESPN... Just part of te game? You don't see a Steelers player getting away with these hits... They have taken the ability to play with physicality from the Steelers... Used to be able to make a reveiver think twice about going over the middle, not any more.. Used to be able to set a tone and physically dominate a team, not any more... The other teams know we are not allowed to hit and take advatage of it... Yet I see games every week with hits that don't draw flags or attention from anybody, but if they were wearing black and gold it would most certianly be a flag and fine... Fed up with it... The NFL is a joke, and IMO rigged....

I hear ya. I know the hit from Ngata on Sanchez that you're talking about. He actually stuck his helmet right between Sanchez shoulder blades. Pretty much the exact same hit that James got fined for last year against (I think) Buffalo but yet there wasn't even a flag thrown against Ngata.

I don't think that they're 'out to get' the Steelers or anything like that but the inconsistency in the calls is ridiculous.

GBMelBlount
10-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Tomlin said his players "better have a sense of urgency" as they prepare for a 1 p.m. game Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans, and that "they are hacked off, and they should be."

THIS is what I am talking about. I don't see the intensity and urgency I am use to seeing.

Certainly half the problem is the O-Line but their definitely has been a collective "apathy" imo.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Texans ate up most of the 1st half with long methodical drives, but only 10 points. Stat line was:

40 plays
192 yards
23 rushing attempts
20:52 time of possession

Steelers had 0 points:
21 plays
105 yds
6 rushing attemps
9:48 possession

Pretty safe to say that the Texans ran the football, controlled the clock and kept the Steelers offense off the field for most of the 1st half. I think we all saw they were severly out played, but the Texans failure in the red zone and stupidity on the put block kept it from being 21 - at half.

zulater
10-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Texans ate up most of the 1st half with long methodical drives, but only 10 points. Stat line was:

40 plays
192 yards
23 rushing attempts

Steelers had 0 points:
21 plays
105 yds
6 rushing attemps

Pretty safe to say that the Texans ran the football, controlled the clock and kept the Steelers offense off the field for most of the 1st half. I think we all saw they were severly out played, but the Texans failure in the red zone and stupidity on the put block kept it from being 21 - at half.

And I can as easily say that a stupid penalty on Pouncey, and an overthrow of an open Antonio Brown in the end zone is all that kept it from being a 10-7 game at halftime.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM
And I can as easily say that a stupid penalty on Pouncey, and an overthrow of an open Antonio Brown in the end zone is all that kept it from being a 10-7 game at halftime. and objectively, you would also agree they would have been lucky for it to only be 10-7.

The Texans amassed double the yardage, time of possession and pushed the defense around at will, starting with the opening drive of over nine minutes. texans played Cowherball on the Steelers and did it well

PalmerSteel
10-07-2011, 08:35 AM
i think we are going to see a pissed off team that will look good sunday, just like after the ratbirds beating. their problem so far this season seems to be staying hungry,pissed off, agressive, etc...... i dont buy the tool old, no good anymore BS. not in week 4.

X-Terminator
10-07-2011, 08:48 AM

40 plays
192 yards
23 rushing attempts

Steelers had 0 points:
21 plays
105 yds
6 rushing attemps

Right, and the penalties also hurt - took 2 TDs off the board and negated a fumble recovery. There's really no way to sugarcoat it - the Steelers were outplayed in all facets of the game, from the coaches on down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Right, and the penalties also hurt - took 2 TDs off the board and negated a fumble recovery. There's really no way to sugarcoat it - the Steelers were outplayed in all facets of the game, from the coaches on down.

So true. I was thinking of how Raiders coach Hue Jackson was saying he is "Building a Bully in Oakland", by being physical on the lines and punching teams in the mouth with a run game.

The Steelers have been "Bullied" in 3 games this year so far and are fortunate they are not 1-3.

Count Steeler
10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
They need to look sharp. They have been out of sync so far, but the season is not over. Even if we get to 4-4 and we are healthy, we still have a good shot at the playoffs. However, I sure hope we are at 6-2 by the end of the next 4 games.

Here we go Steelers!