PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Max Starks re-signs with Steelers - 1 yr, 810K

stillers4me
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
http://burgh.us/8dw (http://burgh.us/8dw)

One down, one to go. :chuckle:

SteelGhost
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Hell, that's called DESPERATION, LOL !

stillers4me
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Hell, that's called DESPERATION, LOL !

Yes, we are. :chuckle:

stillers4me
10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1561016257/Paris_normal.JPGTIOPS_DePaoli (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/TIOPS_DePaoli)Will DePaoli

Starks had physical today. Was around 395 at his pre camp physical, has dropped about 40 pounds and is said to be in very good shape.

zulater
10-04-2011, 08:56 PM
This will make Ben very happy!

Count Steeler
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
So much for staying in house. Glad to see the stubbornness subsiding. Hope Starks can get to playing shape quickly.

stillers4me
10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Mendenhall (hammy), MeMo (foot).

Next signing....Willie Parker.

:behindsofa:

Count Steeler
10-04-2011, 08:59 PM

You better hide.

7willBheaven
10-04-2011, 09:12 PM
So much for staying in house. Glad to see the stubbornness subsiding. Hope Starks can get to playing shape quickly.

In reality this could still be considered in house...Max played here is whole career and was only cut due to his weight (which was due not being able to work out as much with his injury) and his cap number. I hope they bring him back...I wouldnt be against putting Max on the right side and Gilbert on the left. Put Foster at RG...and Kemo versus whoever else at RG. Also if Max comes back then we'll probably see Meredith go.

SteelGhost
10-04-2011, 09:19 PM

:buttkick:

:rofl2:

Edman
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Should've done this weeks ago, and should've kept him over Colon.

Devilsdancefloor
10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
well it wil be nice to see 78 again lets hope he is more humble and appreciative of things.

st33lersguy
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Other than Flozell we have no other option. Jonathan Scott cannot be allowed to step on a football field in a steeler uniform

BigNastyDefense
10-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Better than Jon Scott. If anything, he's a road grader who can run block.

steelerdude15
10-04-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm down if he signs.

YoungMoneyFam
10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank god. We need all the help we can get.

GBMelBlount
10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I have always been hard on Starks for being a bit too nice...so I am definitely eating crow when I say I would be ecstatic to have him back.

What a difference a month makes...He can even bring his Teddy bear with him.

O'Malley
10-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Get it done, this may have been the kick in the pants Starks needed!!!!

BlastFurnace
10-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Better than Jon Scott. If anything, he's a road grader who can run block.

I'm not sure who is worse....Essex or Scott. I'm still amazed that Essex had played this long in the NFL.

The Duke
10-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure who is worse....Essex or Scott. I'm still amazed that Essex had played this long in the NFL.

same here

If they really sign starks then just cut Essex. Jon Scott is healthy so really no need for him anymore

oneforthetoe
10-04-2011, 11:56 PM
In reality this could still be considered in house...Max played here is whole career and was only cut due to his weight (which was due not being able to work out as much with his injury) and his cap number. I hope they bring him back...I wouldnt be against putting Max on the right side and Gilbert on the left. Put Foster at RG...and Kemo versus whoever else at RG. Also if Max comes back then we'll probably see Meredith go.

The fact that the Steelers chose to put Essex in at LT last week tells me that they either don't see Gilbert as a LT or they just don't want to rush him. So, I would think that if Starks is signed he will go to his LT position. I agree Merideth will probably go, but Essex could be cut.

Spike
10-05-2011, 12:28 AM
I miss 2005 - Marvel Smith/Alan Faneca/Jeff Hartings/ Kendall Simmons/Max Starks

Pittsburgh43
10-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I'll definitely be very happy to have Max back. He is very much needed. Let's get this thing turned around.

Here We Go Steelers!

7willBheaven
10-05-2011, 12:49 AM
The fact that the Steelers chose to put Essex in at LT last week tells me that they either don't see Gilbert as a LT or they just don't want to rush him. So, I would think that if Starks is signed he will go to his LT position. I agree Merideth will probably go, but Essex could be cut.

Obviously they dont want to rush him...shortly after they drafted him i remember reading a few places quotes from the team saying they drafted him to be their future LT. I have no issues with him playing RT then LT (they did that with Marvel Smith and Starks)...being on the field period will help him more than anything else.

oneforthetoe
10-05-2011, 01:35 AM
So if he signs I wonder what the contract will look like. We are only about 3 million under the cap so I would think it would have to be a two year deal. I say maybe 2 million this season and 3 next with 2.5 guaranteed.

Austin87
10-05-2011, 03:15 AM
For the life of me I can't understand why this is only done now? They should have brought back Starks after Colon went down.

Texasteel
10-05-2011, 05:12 AM
This is very difficult for me to get out, and it is sticking in my throat badly, but thank God. I still have to wonder why the Vikes didn't sign him.

zulater
10-05-2011, 05:17 AM
This is very difficult for me to get out, and it is sticking in my throat badly, but thank God. I still have to wonder why the Vikes didn't sign him.

I'm hoping it's because once the Steelers saw there were other suitors they got word to Max that the door was open here. And that his heart is still in Pittsburgh, and he didn't want to block for stinking Donavan McNabb anyway. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
10-05-2011, 05:19 AM
I hope J Scott gets released or goes on IR. I don't want to see him trying to protect Ben again.

zulater
10-05-2011, 05:20 AM
I hope J Scott gets released or goes on IR. I don't want to see him trying to protect Ben again.

As bad as Scott is he's better than Essex. Trai's gotta be the guy to go once Scott is healthy.

Count Steeler
10-05-2011, 05:24 AM
As bad as Scott is he's better than Essex. Trai's gotta be the guy to go once Scott is healthy.

Well, lets give Meredith a shot. I don't want to see Scott. Scott has proven, over an extended period, that he does not belong in the NFL. Essex has good and bad games and is suited as a backup. But I am all for increasing the talent on the O Line across the board.

Texasteel
10-05-2011, 05:28 AM

That is what I thought right off Zu. Scott could be used as what he really is, a backup LT. On the other hand, Essex was the worse I have ever seen on the left side.

BlastFurnace
10-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Max just tweeted that he is officially back with the Steelers

maxstarks78 Max Starks IV

Good morning, Steelernation!!!! It is with great pleasure that I thank you for your prayers and support! I'm back!

HometownGal
10-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Max just tweeted that he is officially back with the Steelers

maxstarks78 Max Starks IV

Good morning, Steelernation!!!! It is with great pleasure that I thank you for your prayers and support! I'm back!

I just heard on the NFL channel about 1/2 hour ago that Max has indeed signed with the Steelers. :applaudit: :thumbsup: Glad to have ya back big guy!

BlastFurnace
10-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Chris Scott has been released to make room for Max

86WARD
10-05-2011, 07:18 AM

This. Fuck that. I'd rather have Essex...lol. Chris Scott was the one waived...wrong Scott.

salamander
10-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Welcome back, Max!

BlastFurnace
10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
This. Fuck that. I'd rather have Essex...lol. Chris Scott was the one waived...wrong Scott.

Essex has position flexibility. Every time Essex gets inthe game though, it is like a damn has been broken right next to the Atlantic ocean.

The Duke
10-05-2011, 07:42 AM
ugh, we started training camp with both Tony Hills and Chris Scott having potential to start and now they're both gone

hopefully he at least he goes on the squad

Glad to have Max back!

X-Terminator
10-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Welcome back, Max! :applaudit:

steeldevil
10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Good to have him back. Hopefully he can start at LT immediately.

suitanim
10-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Honestly, how many people who HATED Max Starks are now happy as Hell to have him back?

Show of hands?

BlastFurnace
10-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I've always liked Max. I never understood the angst towards him.

The one I have never liked is Colon.

venom
10-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome back Max -

86WARD
10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Never really hated him, but happy to have him back.

SteelerFanInStl
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Honestly, how many people who HATED Max Starks are now happy as Hell to have him back?

Show of hands?

You can count me in that group. Starks has been way overpaid for the last couple of years and hasn't been very good but he's most certainly better than what we've got now.

Welcome back Max! I hope that he's in condition to play right away.

Austin87
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Glad he is back. I wonder if he'll play against the Titans?

GodfatherofSoul
10-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm going to ship a rusty turnstile to Heinz Field. It'll probably swing open slower than some of our o-linemen.

GBMelBlount
10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Grinning ear to ear!

NEVER thought I'd be so happy to have Max back!

We have instantly improved our O line from "really shitty" to just being plain ol "crappy!"

Woooohoooo!

Merchant
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Thank GOD. There's no way Ben can last till November with Jonathan Scott protecting his blind side.

7willBheaven
10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Glad he's back. I'd personally throw him right in there and let him play this weekend, but some sources are saying that it may be a week or 2...since he hasnt played ball in a while/etc/etc. Its not like the Steelers are a different team...pretty much same plays/etc...if hes OK to go play him now.

As far as his contract I wouldnt be surprised if its lower than some may be thinking. As they still owe him i think 4 mil (split into 2 mil this yr and 2 next yr) from his previous contract...so with him STILL getting that money maybe he signed for less or something, who knows.

Hopefully C. Scott does land on the PS...i still have hopes for him...but who knows. I would said get rid of Meredith but who knows...maybe he's impressed them some.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I doubt Starks got a lot of money. Very little interest on the market for him. Plus, any contract he gets isn't guaranteed anymore.

Chris Scott was pretty terrible. Doesn't matter to me that he's gone. Wasn't starting material and that's all I am concerned about.

Spike
10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
gerrydulac Gerry Dulac
The #Steelers gave Max Starks a one-year deal for the veteran minimum of $810,000.
1 minute ago

suitanim
10-05-2011, 12:36 PM
So, other than Ben getting busted up, and taking a loss (Starks wasn't going to matter one way or the other against Baltimore), this deal worked out rather nicely for the Steelers. Max will also be highly motivated to play for a big payday next year.

X-Terminator
10-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Thread title updated :thumbsup:

86WARD
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm good with that money.

salamander
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
I wish my minimum pay was $810,000 :chuckle:

steelerdude15
10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm happy to hear he's back as a Steeler! I always liked him and have always thought he was one of the brighter spots on this horrible O-line.

kmsteelerwr15
10-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm happy with having Max back!

BigNastyDefense
10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Glad he's back! I never thought he was nearly as bad as some people thought he was, and he's damn sure better than what we have at LT now.

Edman
10-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Max was never a top-tier lineman, at least not top tier enough to warrant his big tag, but he was still competant at what he did and was still loads better than Scott, Essex, and even Colon. Not saying all of the sudden our O-Line isn't crap anymore, but with Max back it's not as crap.

tube517
10-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Show of hands?

Never hated Max. Thought he was decent, not great.

I agree w/Blast.....never liked Colon and never understood the hate for Max

Moose
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Wahooooooo---- a change was made ! Now, was there any news on Scott going someplace else ? please, please, please, please, please !!!!!

Texasteel
10-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Show of hands?

Baloney tastes pretty darn good after you've been eating shit for 4 games.

oneforthetoe
10-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Glad he's back. I'd personally throw him right in there and let him play this weekend, but some sources are saying that it may be a week or 2...since he hasnt played ball in a while/etc/etc. Its not like the Steelers are a different team...pretty much same plays/etc...if hes OK to go play him now.

As far as his contract I wouldnt be surprised if its lower than some may be thinking. As they still owe him i think 4 mil (split into 2 mil this yr and 2 next yr) from his previous contract...so with him STILL getting that money maybe he signed for less or something, who knows.

Hopefully C. Scott does land on the PS...i still have hopes for him...but who knows. I would said get rid of Meredith but who knows...maybe he's impressed them some.

You were correct about the lower number. However, are you sure about the money being owed to Max? I ask because I am not sure myself. In the NFL contracts are only guaranteed to the extent that the contract says this is guaranteed. I would have though that Max had gotten most of his guaranteed money, but I'm not positive.

ALLD
10-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Most of our OL starting would be second or third string anywhere else because they are in reality, journeymen. However, we keep them on life support because of other priorities. The great experiment has run its course and we need a new direction.

Count Steeler
10-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Welcome back Max. Any chance we get another Vet for min.? Maybe Faneca would like to play for this season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Did he lose all tha weight? He gonna play LT with Essex playing RG?

X-Terminator
10-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Did he lose all tha weight? He gonna play LT with Essex playing RG?

They said he lost about 40 pounds and is in great shape. They plan to use him as the swing tackle this week but after that, I have no idea.

zulater
10-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Most of talk in Steelers locker room centered on Max Starks' return ... Ben Roethlisberger said he's been pushing for 78's return for weeks

witter.com/intent/user?screen_name=mikebires

Count Steeler
10-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Most of talk in Steelers locker room centered on Max Starks' return ... Ben Roethlisberger said he's been pushing for 78's return for weeks

witter.com/intent/user?screen_name=mikebires

Remember he did wear 78 when they released Max in training camp. I guess Ben knew what was coming without Max. Wish they would have listened sooner.

VTsteel
10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
We have instantly improved our O line from "really shitty" to just being plain ol "crappy!"

Woooohoooo!

Couldn't have said it better

7willBheaven
10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
You were correct about the lower number. However, are you sure about the money being owed to Max? I ask because I am not sure myself. In the NFL contracts are only guaranteed to the extent that the contract says this is guaranteed. I would have though that Max had gotten most of his guaranteed money, but I'm not positive.

The way I read it is that the 4 mil is the remained of his amortized signing bonus money. Since he was a post June 1st cut they are able to spread that (dead) money over 2 yrs. So technically he will cost 2 mil + the 575K he re-signed for. Which isnt bad for the year...esp when he was supposed to make like 7+ mil i think.

Spike
10-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Ben approves of this message

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/07/31/roex-inset-community.jpg

GBMelBlount
10-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Baloney tastes pretty darn good after you've been eating shit for 4 games.

:lol:

oneforthetoe
10-05-2011, 10:13 PM
The way I read it is that the 4 mil is the remained of his amortized signing bonus money. Since he was a post June 1st cut they are able to spread that (dead) money over 2 yrs. So technically he will cost 2 mil + the 575K he re-signed for. Which isnt bad for the year...esp when he was supposed to make like 7+ mil i think.

Ok, but didn't he already receive his signing bonus? If so, then what you are really talking about is (was) dead cap money, which is different than saying he is still owed that money. So, we still have dead cap money for Starks contract but they are not actually cutting checks for more than the 810,000 this year.

When the Steelers cut Starks on July 29, he lost out on $5.14 million. But the one-year deal he signed Wednesday will pay him $810,000.

http://burgh.us/8fh

I think what is confusing me is that in your original post you said we still owed him 2 million this year, which made it sound to me like 2 million of his salary this year still had to be paid. In truth, you are probably correct, from an accounting standpoint it is "owed" this year, even though he has already been showed the money. In the end, I think we are on the same page, but I am splitting hairs on terminology.

7willBheaven
10-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok, but didn't he already receive his signing bonus? If so, then what you are really talking about is (was) dead cap money, which is different than saying he is still owed that money. So, we still have dead cap money for Starks contract but they are not actually cutting checks for more than the 810,000 this year.

http://burgh.us/8fh

I think what is confusing me is that in your original post you said we still owed him 2 million this year, which made it sound to me like 2 million of his salary this year still had to be paid. In truth, you are probably correct, from an accounting standpoint it is "owed" this year, even though he has already been showed the money. In the end, I think we are on the same page, but I am splitting hairs on terminology.

Pretty much...i guess my wording was spot on in the first post...but i think most get the point its money that he got and that is counting towards the cap/etc.

7willBheaven
10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
While it was first rumored that it may be a week or 2 before he'd play...now there are rumors he could start this weekend. He took HALF the first team reps at Wednesdays practice...and it could increase come Thursday. I hope this is true...I mean yeah he hasnt been out there in "game speed" since his injury...but i think Max will be fine...PLAY HIM!

oneforthetoe
10-06-2011, 12:28 AM
While it was first rumored that it may be a week or 2 before he'd play...now there are rumors he could start this weekend. He took HALF the first team reps at Wednesdays practice...and it could increase come Thursday. I hope this is true...I mean yeah he hasnt been out there in "game speed" since his injury...but i think Max will be fine...PLAY HIM!

lol ... something about the word speed and Max Starks in the same sentence makes me chuckle. Still, I guess speed is all relative.

tihmtahm
10-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Welcome back Mad Max!

steelreserve
10-06-2011, 03:02 AM

Show of hands?

I always though Starks was about average or slightly above average, just way overpaid because he was getting top-10 money. And then later with injury trouble. He's definitely an improvement over the couple of assholes we have trying to do the job now, though. What a mess that's become.

Austin87
10-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Wow, and we got him dirt cheap as well!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2011, 06:15 AM
I always though Starks was about average or slightly above average, just way overpaid because he was getting top-10 money. And then later with injury trouble. He's definitely an improvement over the couple of assholes we have trying to do the job now, though. What a mess that's become.
Yeah, funny how an average tackle, who couldn't find the motivation to hire a personal trainer in the offseason is now the savior of the o line. I guess drafting talented o linemen instead of Hills, Sweed,Davis,spaeth,etc might have been an idea?

zulater
10-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Yeah, funny how an average tackle, who couldn't find the motivation to hire a personal trainer in the offseason is now the savior of the o line. I guess drafting talented o linemen instead of Hills, Sweed,Davis,spaeth,etc might have been an idea?

20/20 draft hindight is always wonderfull! :applaudit: And honestly I don't care if you called it on draft day, the fact is the Steelers like any team have their share of hits and misses. The results generally support the way they've gone about building a team, even if they've left themselves deficient in some areas.

Edman
10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
ALL HAIL MAX STARKS.