PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson busted for assault

polamalubeast
06-29-2010, 11:25 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/29/cedric-benson-busted-for-assault/

Cedric Benson busted for assault
Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2010 12:13 PM ET
A month ago, it appeared that NFL players had learned from the experiences of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Memorial Day weekend came and went without a single arrest.

But that doesn't mean it came without any incidents.

Bengals running back Cedric Benson has been arrested in Austin, Texas for an assault that allegedly occurred on May 30, according to Tom Plohetski of Statesman.com. He allegedly punched a bar employee in the face at Annie's West.

Benson faces charges of assault with injury. He has posted bail.

A top-five pick of the Bears in 2005, Benson's tenure in Chicago ended two years ago, after Benson was arrested for drunk boating and drunk driving within a relatively short time frame.

The latest incident comes at a time when Benson hopes to get a new contract from the Bengals.

Benson joined the Bengals during the 2008 season, and he played well enough to land a two-year deal, after testing the free-agent market. He's due to earn a base salary of $2.65 million in 2010.

Permalink 1 Comments Latest stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Legal, Top Stories

SteelerSal
06-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Goodell will slap his wrist and send out onto the field in week one.

fansince'76
06-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Let me guess - no suspension and a bullshit excuse from Der Kommissar as to why there will be no suspension forthcoming. :coffee:

X-Terminator
06-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Let me guess - no suspension and a bullshit excuse from Der Kommissar as to why there will be no suspension forthcoming. :coffee:

Of course. And he'll conveniently ignore that he has 2 prior arrests too. "Well, those were a long time ago, and he's stayed out of trouble since then, so..." :coffee:

kmsteelerwr15
06-29-2010, 11:36 AM

That's exactly what I expect him to do :frusty:

polamalubeast
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
That's exactly what I expect him to do :frusty:

True:ranger::frusty:

Goodell Sucks:frusty::frusty:

BlastFurnace
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Finally...some good news.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Finally...some good news.

LOL. Its sad that our offseaon has been so bad we consider this good news. :chuckle:

CantStop85
06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Since he's had prior incidents I'm guessing he'll get 2-4 games.

Killer
06-29-2010, 12:42 PM
ARRESTED & CHARGED

ARRESTED & CHARGED

ARRESTED & CHARGED

"The Shield!"

"The Shield!

"The Shield"

... and he never reported it for 2 months

Goodell better throw the book at him, 8 games, minimum

steeldevil
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately we dont play the Bengals at the beginning of the year... So even if he does get a suspension we wont really benefit from it... Other than the Bengals hopefully losing of course.

Psycho Ward 86
06-29-2010, 01:08 PM
This is a total shocker :)

Butch
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Hmm lets see how can we spin this. Anybody got some ideas on how the commish will let Benson off the hook.

Maybe if he does some time in jail it will count towards time served and no suspension.

If that doesn't work I am sure the media will find a way to put some lipstick on it. They will talk about how forthright he is in not denying the claims and that his actions were misconstrued and good hell should focus on the positives in his life like how he came from some troubled upbringing to make it in the NFL and again no suspension.

And if all else fails I am sure the bungles organization will tell him how Benson was just trying to carve out a niche on the team...trying to fit in and earn his stripes so he could be one of the gang. Good hell will have tears running down his cheeks by now just because it is so touching. Then they will whisper in his ear remember we won the division over the Steelers last year you wouldn't want to jeopardize that now, no suspension.

If all this fails and the pied piper just can't resist I am sure he will have to serve all of a two game suspension, but will be allowed to practice with the team after all bungles will be bungles and it wouldn't be right to go hard on one of them.

fansince'76
06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Anybody got some ideas on how the commish will let Benson off the hook.

"As it was a misdemeanor offense and Cedric has shown adequate contrition and evidence that he's learned from this incident and will continue to grow from it in the future, I have decided not to suspend him at this time." :blah: :blah: :blah:

st33lersguy
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
If this was a steeler or possibly any white player Goodell would suspend the player for atleast 12 games

ALLD
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
It was also reported that Benson did not report this issue to the NFL. That is a violation of player conduct.

vasteeler
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
If this was a steeler or possibly any white player Goodell would suspend the player for atleast 12 games

I wouldnt agree with that
but the steelers part absolutely

stillers4me
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Don't forget about the extra draft pick for the Pats*.

CantStop85
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Yeah, we all know how Goodell hates white people. :der:

salamander
06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah, we all know how Goodell hates white people. :der:

Only ones that play for the Steelers. Just ask Ben. :wink02:

zulater
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM

It's nothing to do with being a Steeler, it's all about Ben. Goodell hates Ben and would have him out of the game if he could get away with it because he 100% buys into the accuser and her sorority sisters account of the happening on that night in Mllledridge. This despite the fact the accuser was unwilling to go on a stand and swear to the truth of her statments. He put on his daddy with daughter's hat when he decided Ben's case, and put aside any and all objectivelty. I honestly wish Ben would have appealed it to appelate court, I'm convinced that an impartial arbiter would have thrown Herr Goodell's ruling out with the trash where it belongs.

BigNastyDefense
06-29-2010, 05:53 PM
It's nothing to do with being a Steeler, it's all about Ben. Goodell hates Ben and would have him out of the game if he could get away with it because he 100% buys into the accuser and her sorority sisters account of the happening on that night in Mllledridge. This despite the fact the accuser was unwilling to go on a stand and swear to the truth of her statments. He put on his daddy with daughter's hat when he decided Ben's case, and put aside any and all objectivelty. I honestly wish Ben would have appealed it to appelate court, I'm convinced that an impartial arbiter would have thrown Herr Goodell's ruling out with the trash where it belongs.

Any and all appeals of a suspension coming from the personal conduct policy would have gone straight to the desk of Roger Goodell according to the CBA. He couldn't take it to an appelate court.

As for Benson. He's a repeat offender. Suspend him for the season. He's obviously never learned from his earlier incidents to be such a moron.

zulater
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Any and all appeals of a suspension coming from the personal conduct policy would have gone straight to the desk of Roger Goodell according to the CBA. He couldn't take it to an appelate court.

As for Benson. He's a repeat offender. Suspend him for the season. He's obviously never learned from his earlier incidents to be such a moron.

There's always avenues of appeal. Eventually there's going to be a player who calls the league's bluff and with the Union's help knocks goodell off his high horse. Players are citizens, and citizens have the right to due proccess. The kangaroo court of the NFL is anything but due proccess.

Al Davis has sued the league and won on multiple occasions. In my opinion Ben could easily do the same. I guarantee there's a circuit court that would agree to hear the case somewhere.

BigNastyDefense
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
There's always avenues of appeal. Eventually there's going to be a player who calls the league's bluff and with the Union's help knocks goodell off his high horse. Players are citizens, and citizens have the right to due proccess. The kangaroo court of the NFL is anything but due proccess.

Al Davis has sued the league and won on multiple occasions. In my opinion Ben could easily do the same. I guarantee there's a circuit court that would agree to hear the case somewhere.

I agree that it's not due process. Al Davis never sued the league over a suspension. A judge will look at the CBA that is negotiated with the NFLPA and they will throw the case out of court because of it.

zulater
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I agree that it's not due process. Al Davis never sued the league over a suspension. A judge will look at the CBA that is negotiated with the NFLPA and they will throw the case out of court because of it.

I understand about the shield of collective bargaining that the league could use against a lawsuit, but if a litigant can argue to an abuse of power, or prejudicial predisposition on the part of the league then I think a window could be opened.

BigNastyDefense
06-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I understand about the shield of collective bargaining that the league could use against a lawsuit, but if a litigant can argue to an abuse of power, or prejudicial predisposition on the part of the league then I think a window could be opened.

Okay, that's possible. I do think the new CBA will have it so an appeal doesn't go right back to Goodell's desk because that just isn't a fair shake.

Butch
06-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Press is already spinning it, imagine that. They say that this is a harmless case of a misunderstanding and when asked about if Benson will get a suspension the response was "after looking at Vince Young's case and he didn't get a suspension I don't see one for Benson." They go on to say his past discressions were with the bears causing his release but he has been a good model since his release.

So there you have it Good Hell's answer is already being formulated.

kmsteelerwr15
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Press is already spinning it, imagine that. They say that this is a harmless case of a misunderstanding and when asked about if Benson will get a suspension the response was "after looking at Vince Young's case and he didn't get a suspension I don't see one for Benson." They go on to say his past discressions were with the bears causing his release but he has been a good model since his release.

:frusty: and that's all I have to say about that...well for now anyway...

st33lersguy
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
I want to ask "commissioner" Baddell why Ben gets a suspension for being accused by some worthless college flunkie but doesn't suspend Benson, Young, or Braylon Edwards for something that was proven they did.

stillers4me
06-29-2010, 08:52 PM

This is such complete bullshit. Ben was suspended for "putting himself in the situation" repeatedly for the allegations to be made. Benson keeps putting himself in the situation to be repeatedly charged with crimes. Prove to me why this guy should not receive at least as many games as Ben got, if not more????????

X-Terminator
06-29-2010, 09:04 PM

HA! Called it!

Of course. And he'll conveniently ignore that he has 2 prior arrests too. "Well, those were a long time ago, and he's stayed out of trouble since then, so..." :coffee:

They are so damn predictable...

SteelCityMan786
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM

If that ever happened Goodell would find a way to make that avenue become his own jurisdiction when they go to the table for the CBA. Personally, I think Ben's suspension appeal if he were to do so should be under an independent 3rd party that will keep an open mind more times then not. After all the guy is a hypocrite.

Exactly, the CBA states that suspensions in regards to player conduct are at the hands of the commissioner. It will be impossible for a court to overturn it.

This is one thing that actually annoys me about the fact I want to be in the press. They do crap like this. Bias in the media is alive and well and it really pisses me off.

This is such complete bullshit. Ben was suspended for "putting himself in the situation" repeated for the allegations to be made. Benson keeps putting himself in the situation to be repeatedly charged with crimes. Prove to me why this guy should not receive at least as many games as Ben got, if not more????????

There is no reason that he should get less then Ben. Roger can not prove that himself. If he really thinks I will buy the same old BS argument, he has another thing coming. I would like to know what the big idea is.

steeldawg
06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
If benson is not suspended it will be outrageous

tube517
06-29-2010, 11:15 PM
:rofl2:

Don't forget about the extra draft pick for the Pats*.

Galax Steeler
06-30-2010, 04:22 AM
We should have know it was only a matter of time before the Bungholes made the news in the off season. Should have know it would have been good ole Benson.LOL

Killer
06-30-2010, 06:39 AM
I *officially* predict he will not be suspended, not even a wrist slap.

alcohol related incidents not involving women are not hot and sexy enough for the commish to worry about

steelerdude15
06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
NFL GONE WILD

BuddhaBus
06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
In other news, Adam "Pacman" Jones will be given his 482nd chance to prove to the NFL that he has turned his life around and is ready to be a productive member of the league and society. When asked about this "rare" opportunity for redemption, "Pacman" replied "I likeded the strip clubs. I always maked it rain. Now I is a changeded man. I is truly blessed. You gots any singles for a hunnert?"

This Goodell crap is getting out of hand. I call :bs:!

steelpride12
07-01-2010, 11:39 PM
In other news, Adam "Pacman" Jones will be given his 482nd chance to prove to the NFL that he has turned his life around and is ready to be a productive member of the league and society. When asked about this "rare" opportunity for redemption, "Pacman" replied "I likeded the strip clubs. I always maked it rain. Now I is a changeded man. I is truly blessed. You gots any singles for a hunnert?"

This Goodell crap is getting out of hand. I call :bs:!
Spot on with this one! Just another day in Goodells like. I don't care how many times Benson get's arrested he will get a slap on the wrist and approved to continue to play football.