PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts and observations of yesterday's game.

zulater
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm watching the game the game in it's entirety for the first time thanks to the miracle of NFL rewind, and here's some early observations.

Casey Hampton and James Farrior were really exploited on the Texans first series. I've never sen Hampton just bullied by centers like he's being done so far this year. And Farrior's taking bad angles to the ball carrier nearly every time, I think due to a loss of speed.

I think the play action might have been Timmons fault though. I think if he stays at home Shaub ends up eating that ball or throwing it away.

Steelers first offensive series. Wallace takes a bad penalty. The coach needs to reign in these egos a little better.

Trai Essex is really bad, he nearly got Ben killed twice on the first series alone.

David Johnson's matador "blocks" on back to back plays went a long ways to killing the first possession of the Steelers.

Oh yeah, lest I forget, Kemoeatu was abused badly twice in pass blocking assignments on this series as well, though he wasn't directly responsible for a sack.

zulater
10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
In an unrelated matter, and I'll probably get killed for this. But I'm sick of all the pink already. Yeah I know, good cause, and were it confined to one game, wonderfull, keep it up. But for an entire fucking month! No thanks! Breast cancer's awful no doubt, but so is prostate cancer, ( and more applicable for a football audience I may add) but I don't need to see friggin brown bloated prostates on everyone's uniform all through November either! Other than a tolerable limit of one game, pink should be confined to the sidelines and off the field displays in my opinion.

GodfatherofSoul
10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Steelers first offensive series. Wallace takes a bad penalty.

I'm all for emotional play, but man does it annoy me to see WRs jumping up and down and trash talking over a simple catch. Ditto on the pink!

zulater
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
1st play Steelers 2nd possession. Foster does matador block on Cushing, David Johnson gets pushed 2 yards into backfield by DE, Dancing Bear, er Mendy dropped for loss of 2, though not much blame to him.

ALLD
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Until we get a new OL with exceptions to Pouncey, this team is going nowhere. Ben is also not going to sit back and take a beating anymore. I watched him throw away the ball many times. Good for him.

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Steelers first offensive series. Wallace takes a bad penalty. The coach needs to reign in these egos a little better.

While I really hate all of the trash talking in general, I thought this penalty was ridiculous. That stuff goes on ALL THE TIME and there's never a penalty thrown.

zulater
10-03-2011, 01:26 PM
While I really hate all of the trash talking in general, I thought this penalty was ridiculous. That stuff goes on ALL THE TIME and there's never a penalty thrown.

Yeah if you compare what Wallace did to the unpenalized triple barrel roll that Devin Hester did after his punt return for a td against the Panthers yesterday it's hard to figure out what the standard is?

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah if you compare what Wallace did to the unpenalized triple barrel roll that Devin Hester did after his punt return for a td against the Panthers yesterday it's hard to figure out what the standard is?

It's what drives me crazy about the officiating in the NFL. It's so inconsistent that it's ridiculous.

zulater
10-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Jason Worldis sighting! He actually came close to making a good play twice in one series! His pressure of Shaub saved a touchdown in fact.

Seperate but related, Lamarr Woodley had two hurries on the first 3 Texans series as well, so he wasn't a total no show as I have been led to believe.

Count Steeler
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Don't talk smack with the ref right beside you. Say your two words and move on. But he kept going for too long and gave the ref no choice.

zulater
10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Don't talk smack with the ref right beside you. Say your two words and move on. But he kept going for too long and gave the ref no choice.

The ref had a choice, he just chose to have rabbit ears. But granted Wallace has to play with more discipline.

zulater
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
On the possession after the Texans went ahead 17-10 after the Steelers got the ball back, on the 2nd and 4 play a complete breakdown of the offensive line led to the sack of Ben. The only one's who did their job on that play were Gilbert and Johnson. Pouncey, Kemo, Foster, and Essex all got beat like rented mules. Epic failure.

zulater
10-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Hines Ward outside of one play had a hideous game. His 3rd down drop came before contact so it was inexcusable. He also looked halfhearted in many of his blocking assignments this game.

O'Malley
10-03-2011, 05:40 PM
They're playing like the Bungles used too.... They can't do the simple thing that used to make them great.. Tomlin needs to take control of this team and fuck the new CBA and put them in pads.. I hate this softer kinder gentleler NFL... Hard to watch... Losing my passion to watch... Fans of this new football can have it..

zulater
10-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Antonio Brown had a terrible drop mid 4th quarter.

zulater
10-03-2011, 05:57 PM
On one sack 38 gets into the A gap and creates confusion, Pouncey gets overwhelmed by 94, and Foster misses badly on 99. Terrible play by the line.

zulater
10-03-2011, 06:12 PM
On our second to last possession, the one where we actually had a chance to score after a great punt return set us up at midfield. 3rd and 7, and Arians has every single mother fucking wide receiver run a route over 18 yards!?!? WTF Arians defenders? Why no short outs, why no curls? Stupid beyond belief, we only fucking needed 7 yards, yet everyone is sent deep!!!!!!!:yell:

zulater
10-03-2011, 06:30 PM
We didn't play nearly as bad as I was led to believe. We had our chances, and could have won if we had maximized our red zone opportunities better.The season's not over, the Steelers could still turn this season around.

zulater
10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Grade time.

Big Ben. C- Overall Ben wasn't bad, but he missed a couple plays that figured big in the loss, most notably at the end of the first half he missed Antonio Brown, once in the end zone, and once in what could have been first down yardage. Complete either of those and it's 10-7 at half , and if we have a productive drive to start the second half ( as we did) then we may have taken the lead early in the 3rd quarter.

Mendenhall. D Didn't have much to work with, but doesn't do much to help. The td was nice, but my mom could have scored through that hole, so I'm not giving him too much credit.

Isaac Redman, aka Ike. B+ got stuffed on a big third down play, but really didn't have much of a hole,. Other than that maximized every opportunity.

Mewelde Moore. B. Solid as usual.

Hines Ward. D-. I have never seen Hines look so indifferent on his blocks. Rarely gets open on his routes.

Mike Wallace. C+ not so much as a catch in the second half, if he's not careful Tomlin will change his nickname from "Onetrick, to "onehalf".

Antonio Brown. B+. If not for the crucial 4th quarter drop it would have been an A. His punt return set the table, too bad the oline spoiled the meal.

Heath Miller C-. Didn't do much to stand out good or bad this game.

David Johnson F. Of one little is expected somehow he still manages to under perform. Not only did he miss blocks that led to sacks and negative running plays, he also was solely responsible for the end of half field goal attempt being blocked

Maurkice Pouncey. C. Had some shining moments, but also missed a few crucial blocks. Still not quite up to speed, but much better than he was at Indy.

Marcus Gilbert. C. Had some epic failures, but also did his job well on the vast majority of plays. Trial by fire on the road, don't worry this kid will be allright.

Chris Kemoeatu. C Struggled on several pass blocks early, and one late. But overall he did ok.

Ramon Foster. C-. There's a reason the Steelers couldn't wait to replace him with the almost as inept Doug Legurskey. Ramon just isn't that great. A C- in a road game for him is like an B+ to a normal offensive lineman.

Trai Essex. D-. He really doesn't belong in the league. Good guy, tries hard, but has no game.

Defensive grades tomorrow.

tihmtahm
10-03-2011, 07:51 PM
We didn't play nearly as bad as I was led to believe. We had our chances, and could have won if we had maximized our red zone opportunities better.The season's not over, the Steelers could still turn this season around.

Don't forget the Texans had 2 TD's called back due to penalties... We had our asses handed to us thanks to the O-line. We might as well put traffic cones or tackling dummies out there! The Texans did everything they could do to keep us in the game. BTW... Mendy isn't doing his job either (I think that D should be an F)... Moore and Redman did far better with the same O-line.

zulater
10-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Don't forget the Texans had 2 TD's called back due to penalties...

I didn't forget. , David Johnson missed a blocking assignment otherwise it's an easy 3 for the Steelers. The Texans allowed the Steelers to drive the field at the end of the half and we're supposed to applaud them for it?

As for the called back pick six, it was garbage time, the game was decided already, the Steelers had their chance at midfield after Antoine Browns' punt return. All that happened after the Steelers failed to convert 4th and 7 is nothing more than window dressing. In other words, those two called back touchdowns don't reflect the game. 17-10 was a valid indication of the way the game actually played out. Well actually 17-13 would be more in line with the truth as it's unlikely the Steelers will miss another 30 yard field goal all season, and equally unlikely that the Texans will block one of similiar distance.

We had our asses handed to us thanks to the O-line. We might as well put traffic cones or tackling dummies out there! The Texans did everything they could do to keep us in the game. BTW... Mendy isn't doing his job either (I think that D should be an F)... Moore and Redman did far better with the same O-line.

I disagree. We dominated the last 7 minutes of the first half and the entire 3rd quarter. We had our chance's and I wouldn't bet against the Steelers if by chance these two teams meet again in the playoffs.

And yeah, I'm calling it, the Steelers will make the playoffs.

Craic
10-03-2011, 08:18 PM

The difference is I think, one was directed right at the other bench, the other was just celebration. Excessive celebration, maybe, but not the same IMO.

BigPoppaG
10-04-2011, 06:55 AM
My thought is this. We know the O-line is bad. Other teams in the NFL know the O-line is bad. GOD knows the O-line is bad....why doesn't Ben know? If the O-line is so bad you can't be the guy running around in the pocket. Get rid of the ball quicker. Call plays that will allow you to do that. You have one of the best Tight Ends in the league. What about Hines for some quick dump offs. I just don't get it. At least it's not over...yet. Just 1 fans Opinion.

GodfatherofSoul
10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
My one gripe about the play calling is that we're getting our butts kicked on the line, so why keep running these deep routes where none of your receivers are even turning around until they're 20 yards downfield? I know sometimes our younger WRs aren't seeing the blitz and adjusting, but damn we need a short passing game when we can't run and there's no time to throw.

tihmtahm
10-04-2011, 05:24 PM
I didn't forget. , David Johnson missed a blocking assignment otherwise it's an easy 3 for the Steelers. The Texans allowed the Steelers to drive the field at the end of the half and we're supposed to applaud them for it?

Nope... Far from it.... I think all the blockers played horrendously. I love the Steelers, but this is not fun watching the Titanic 2.

zulater
10-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Nope... Far from it.... I think all the blockers played horrendously. I love the Steelers, but this is not fun watching the Titanic 2.

It was a roads loss against a good team, and we had a chance to win it. Not quite Titanic proportion. The Steelers still are capable of turning this thing around.

tihmtahm
10-04-2011, 05:42 PM
It was a roads loss against a good team, and we had a chance to win it. Not quite Titanic proportion. The Steelers still are capable of turning this thing around.

I sure hope so. I'm just not optimistic about the O-line right now.

zulater
10-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Chidi, if you got the NFL rewind, go to the 3rd and 7 play on the Steelers second to last possession(1 hour 47 minute mark on the rewind, 2.50 to go on the game clock) is that legal the way Cushing took out Mewelde Moore? I mean he buried him with the ref look right at the play, so maybe the fact that he was so close to the line of scrimmage means that he can be tackled before the ball is thrown?

also check out the patterns the receivers are running, how come no comebacks or out patterns by the wr's to the first down marker? They all look to be running 15-20 yard patterns when we only needed 7 for the first.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm currently having trouble getting NFL Rewind. Went to verify my account and it gave me an "unsecure webpage" error. I'll have to try to work on it later. When I subscribe for it, will I get it right away?

I do have that part of the game taped so let me check it out.

zulater
10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm currently having trouble getting NFL Rewind. Went to verify my account and it gave me an "unsecure webpage" error. I'll have to try to work on it later. When I subscribe for it, will I get it right away?

I do have that part of the game taped so let me check it out.

Yep, you get it all right away.

It took me a couple goes to get my password straight too.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Zu,

I got to go to class and have something to do right after so I'll respond in a little bit.

Will say we aren't offered a great view on the TV of the routes so it's tough to say.

Think the Moore hit is legal.

Will explain more later.

zulater
10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Zu,

I got to go to class and have something to do right after so I'll respond in a little bit.

Will say we aren't offered a great view on the TV of the routes so it's tough to say.

Think the Moore hit is legal.

Will explain more later.

You're probably right, but at the same token I've seen nose tackles called for defensive holding on pass plays before. There was no accident about what cushing did, he meant to take Mewlede out of the pattern, and he sure as hell did.

Moose
10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
LOL ---Nothing really else to add to this game that hasn't been said.....Suc game again. Oh, yea.... Ditto on the pink !!

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 04:15 PM
You're probably right, but at the same token I've seen nose tackles called for defensive holding on pass plays before. There was no accident about what cushing did, he meant to take Mewlede out of the pattern, and he sure as hell did.

Is it a pretty dirty move? Yeah. I wouldn't expect anything else from Cushing.

But i don't see how it can be a penalty. Defensive contact is allowed within five yards, there's no hold, there's no interference.

zulater
10-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Is it a pretty dirty move? Yeah. I wouldn't expect anything else from Cushing.

But i don't see how it can be a penalty. Defensive contact is allowed within five yards, there's no hold, there's no interference.

If it's legal it's not dirty. I thought it probably was, (legal) but I wasn't sure because I get confused when they call an interior DL for defensive holding on somewhat similar plays.

I still don't understand why any of the Steelers wr's didn't run a pattern for approximate first down yardage on the most important play of the game. ?

Steeldude
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm watching the game the game in it's entirety for the first time thanks to the miracle of NFL rewind, and here's some early observations.

Casey Hampton and James Farrior were really exploited on the Texans first series. I've never sen Hampton just bullied by centers like he's being done so far this year. And Farrior's taking bad angles to the ball carrier nearly every time, I think due to a loss of speed.

I think the play action might have been Timmons fault though. I think if he stays at home Shaub ends up eating that ball or throwing it away.

Trai Essex is really bad, he nearly got Ben killed twice on the first series alone.

David Johnson's matador "blocks" on back to back plays went a long ways to killing the first possession of the Steelers.

Oh yeah, lest I forget, Kemoeatu was abused badly twice in pass blocking assignments on this series as well, though he wasn't directly responsible for a sack.

it makes you wonder what exactly do the FO and coaches see in these offensive linemen.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
If it's legal it's not dirty. I thought it probably was, (legal) but I wasn't sure because I get confused when they call an interior DL for defensive holding on somewhat similar plays.

I still don't understand why any of the Steelers wr's didn't run a pattern for approximate first down yardage on the most important play of the game. ?

Yeah, that part is taking me longer to explain/figure out.

Count Steeler
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah, that part is taking me longer to explain/figure out.

Stubbornness. No adjustments. Try to run. Throw deep. If those 2 don't work, why try anything else? (Bubble screen, just as a sprinkling).

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Ok, let's break this down.

Like I said, harder to do since we're not really offered that great of an angle.

First thing I want to look at. The split of the WRs.

All three are inside of the numbers. Typically lends itself to shorter routes/routes across the middle that can be thrown quicker based on coverage (for example, if you're outside the numbers and running a streak or comeback, you're going to have a long route pretty much regardless of the defense you're facing. Still have to run your route and turn around because you can't just look back at the QB). If you're on a slant or in and you're read hot, you can look up and catch the ball even if you're supposed to run farther in the play design. Make sense?

Next thing I want to look at is Ben's drop. It's a 5 step which seems appropiate for the situation. I'm fine with that.

And of course, the routes.

I actually think there's a bunch of hot routes and safety valves in the play. It's a blitz beater.

Wallace and Sanders run crossing routes. Ward on a clearout, Heath on a block and release, Moore on a release (I know Mendenhall has in the past said the back is allowed to go out on their own if they feel the QB is in trouble and there are too many blitzers coming. The back has the freedom to do that).

It's actually a very similar play we ran last year. I have two examples of us running nearly the same exact thing. Just a little different with having Sanders in the slot. Here's one against the Saints.

http://i51.tinypic.com/fcr9k7.jpg

What I have written...

"3. 3rd and 11, 8:44: 1 RB, 1 TE. 7 blitz. Wallace with a slant, Heath on a block and release. LB with very good coverage. Ward running a 10-15 yard curl"

And against the Bengals. On another 3rd and 11.

http://i52.tinypic.com/24zx0m0.jpg

Let's compare this to the play we ran Sunday.

http://i51.tinypic.com/n49l4l.jpg

Notice the release by Wallace. Almost identical to what Randle El did in the second picture against the Bengals.

And here's the picture of Heath on his block/release, running a 5 yard in.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2u6l98p.jpg

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 07:46 PM
What can we conclude from this?

Like I said, I think the use of crossing routes gives a built in hot to the QB where the WR and QB can quickly see blitz and the receiver can get his head up. Just as we saw Ben do on the Bengals play. He looked hot versus the blitz. So even though the routes turned out to be long, it was only a product of the play being extended. The cuts were made before the marker and then the receiver crosses past the marker.

Another point.

In a crucial situation like this, we need to use plays we're familar with and comfortable with. I'm guessing this is one of the more often used ones in the 3rd and long package. Since we've seen it used on two 3rd and 11s last year.

The play before this was nearly the exact same one that scored Wallace on his 81 yarder last week. Playaction, TE on the DE, narrows splits, stack the WRs, run the post to Wallace.

We went with what we knew best. The plays we had practiced the most often.

For that, I can't fault Arians.

zulater
10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
What can we conclude from this?

Like I said, I think the use of crossing routes gives a built in hot to the QB where the WR and QB can quickly see blitz and the receiver can get his head up. Just as we saw Ben do on the Bengals play. He looked hot versus the blitz. So even though the routes turned out to be long, it was only a product of the play being extended. The cuts were made before the marker and then the receiver crosses past the marker.

Another point.

In a crucial situation like this, we need to use plays we're familar with and comfortable with. I'm guessing this is one of the more often used ones in the 3rd and long package. Since we've seen it used on two 3rd and 11s last year.

The play before this was nearly the exact same one that scored Wallace on his 81 yarder last week. Playaction, TE on the DE, narrows splits, stack the WRs, run the post to Wallace.

We went with what we knew best. The plays we had practiced the most often.

For that, I can't fault Arians.

You never do. :chuckle: Personally I'd have liked to have seen at least one of the wr's run an out pattern right to the first down marker, and another maybe run some sort of curl right at about first down yardage(7 yards). It was a pretty important play, we needed to at the very least put ourselves in a 4th and short situation. Throwing the ball to a fairly well covered Emanuel sanders 18 yards downfield, with no apparent checkdowns didn't seem as if it were an ideal situation to me. And in this instance Ben had adequate time to throw.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
There were two checkdowns. Heath on a block/release and Moore coming out of the backfield.

zulater
10-06-2011, 05:06 AM
There were two checkdowns. Heath on a block/release and Moore coming out of the backfield.

And Heath was covered, and Mewelde got taken out by Cushing, so the net result was that you had no available options at or around the first down marker. I still believe it would have been wise to have at least one of your wr's run an out or curl to the sticks, rather than to send them all deep downfield when only 7 yards were needed. Even if Moore had been able to release off the line of scrimmage, the patterns he and Heath were running wouldn't have clogged up the works for a quick sideline pass were an actual receiver sent there.

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 07:46 AM
And Heath was covered, and Mewelde got taken out by Cushing, so the net result was that you had no available options at or around the first down marker. I still believe it would have been wise to have at least one of your wr's run an out or curl to the sticks, rather than to send them all deep downfield when only 7 yards were needed. Even if Moore had been able to release off the line of scrimmage, the patterns he and Heath were running wouldn't have clogged up the works for a quick sideline pass were an actual receiver sent there.

I just said they were options on the play. Not that they were open. That's not Arians fault that Cushing crushed Moore.

Again, it's not like these routes broke at a deep depth. Off the line, Wallace immediately breaks on his slant. Sanders breaks before the sticks. If they're open at that moment, the ball is coming to them.

zulater
10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
I just said they were options on the play. Not that they were open. That's not Arians fault that Cushing crushed Moore.

Again, it's not like these routes broke at a deep depth. Off the line, Wallace immediately breaks on his slant. Sanders breaks before the sticks. If they're open at that moment, the ball is coming to them.

If Arians ever makes a mistake please point it out for us chidi.

I love Ben, but as I've pointed out multiple times, he missed Antonio Brown on two plays at the end of the half, on plays where there were no protection issues. In other words, Ben cost us a touchdown going into halftime. It doesn't mean I want to bench Ben, or that he sucked this game, it just means he came up short on those two particular plays. There was at least one more time I would cite him for being defecient last Sunday, on the first half sack by Mario Williams, it looked like Ben had an easy checkdown to Heath available, but got greedy and was looking for the big play downfield. Were it not for that, the first drive very likely results in points.

Your turn now, did the coaches play any part in the loss?
:wink02:

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
And I've given flack to Arians in the past. He's not the greatest OC in the world, far from it.

You asked me a question and I answered it. Was I supposed to give you the answer you wanted to hear?

zulater
10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
And I've given flack to Arians in the past. He's not the greatest OC in the world, far from it.

You asked me a question and I answered it. Was I supposed to give you the answer you wanted to hear?

No but I still disagree with your overall assessment of that play. I still believe a sharp out by one of the wr's to the sticks or a crisp curl to the marker would have left Ben with better options than what he had there.

zulater
10-06-2011, 08:09 AM
OK here's another question chidi. Watch the Steelers closing possession of the first half, we ran a hurry up no huddle offense mostly ( if not exclusivley, I'll re-check later). Was there a better possession form the standpoint of pass protection all game? Wasn't it you who said the Steelers were correct in not using that more in earlair games because it's too difficult to run in a hostile venue? And again I'll recheck later, but I don't think we used the no huddle offense again that game, even on our all important second to last possession, when the game was actually decided. Oh yeah I guess we did on the after the fact last possession, who's fate was pretty much decided ( short of a penalty) once the Texan punt was downed at the 1.

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I'd have to go back and watch it, but according to espn's box score, we never used no huddle at any point.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=311002034&period=0

zulater
10-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I'd have to go back and watch it, but according to espn's box score, we never used no huddle at any point.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=311002034&period=0

They were wrong, we most certainly did run the no huddle before the end of the half. But because of stoppages due to the 2 minute warning, incompletions, penalties and timeouts, it only really manifested itself right on a couple plays.

zulater
10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
1st and 10 at PIT 20 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to H.Miller to PIT 27 for 7 yards (B.McCain).

We came up to the line and tried to run a play but didn't get it off before the 2 minute warning here.

2nd and 3 at PIT 27 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short right to A.Brown.
3rd and 3 at PIT 27 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep left to M.Wallace to HST 33 for 40 yards (D.Manning).
Timeout #1 by PIT at 01:48.
1st and 10 at HOU 33 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to M.Wallace to HST 27 for 6 yards (B.McCain, B.Cushing).

No huddle right here! :lol:
2nd and 4 at HOU 2

The truth is they actually only had one play of no huddle, but not due to lack of intent, as pointed out before, the stoppages were due to incompletions, timeouts, penalties, and the 2 minute warning. But the point still remains the mindset and intent was that we were out there looking to get right to the line after every completion.

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 06:55 PM
But the question you asked wasn't if we ran no huddle. You asked if we did better in the no huddle than using a huddle. We didn't really have many no huddle snaps, even if we tried.

zulater
10-06-2011, 07:04 PM
But the question you asked wasn't if we ran no huddle. You asked if we did better in the no huddle than using a huddle. We didn't really have many no huddle snaps, even if we tried.

I still think there's a case to be made that the Steelers are more efficient and focused when in their no huddle offense. The sample size is bigger than this one game, or even season for that matter.

It's seems to be pretty popular throughout the league this year, and given us most offense's are scoring a helluva lot more points than we are, maybe we'd be wise to use it a little more often?

You get onboard with NFL rewind yet chidi?

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I still think there's a case to be made that the Steelers are more efficient and focused when in their no huddle offense. The sample size is bigger than this one game, or even season for that matter.

It's seems to be pretty popular throughout the league this year, and given us most offense's are scoring a helluva lot more points than we are, maybe we'd be wise to use it a little more often?

You get onboard with NFL rewind yet chidi?

There's no question that when you can use no huddle, it's effective in small bursts. Anytime you can keep a defensive package on the field and get guys tired, you're in a solid position.

But there are a lot of issues with trying to use the no huddle and you can't just use it on a whim.

When I look at the Steelers, the biggest offensive issue I see is a complete lack of communication. And perhaps to an extent, I lay the blame on Arians (because communication and recognition goes hand in hand with preparedness and that falls on the coaching staff) for that. But when there's a big issue of communication, you can't use the no huddle because the communication has to be sharp. Especially on the road, in a dome, where it's loud and the fans are into the game.

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 07:17 PM
And yeah, got NFL Rewind. Love it. Might end up returning my VCR and getting my money back.

zulater
10-06-2011, 07:43 PM
And yeah, got NFL Rewind. Love it. Might end up returning my VCR and getting my money back.

Putting that 10 second rewind button to good use? :chuckle:

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Putting that 10 second rewind button to good use? :chuckle:

Haha, of course.

zulater
10-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Often as fans we tend to bring a myopic viewpoint to a game, in other words, we only see it from our team's perspective. It's our guy failed, not the other guy did something great, or our guy was great, never mind that the defensive back tripped on a seem or something.

Anyway there were two significant plays last Sunday that went in an unfavorable way for the Steelers, but try as I might, I couldn't find fault with the Steelers plan or play, but instead was compelled to applaud the effort of the Texan player who made it. Those two plays would be the 3rd and 2 play on our second possession where Jonathan Joseph made a text book tackle on Heath Miller out alone in the flat and kept him from making the first down yardage. There's a lot of linebackers who wouldn't have made that play, let alone a cornerback. Great play by Joseph. The other play would be Arian Foster's 42 yard touchdown run. Great vision and acceleration on that play, he made two Steelers All Pro's ( Troy and Woodley) look like chumps there.

Chidi29
10-06-2011, 10:38 PM
That's true and something I was going to note in my writeup. Great reaction and close by Joseph.

But it is worth pointing out that the playcall could've helped Heath more and was an adjustment Arians made (for thos who says he never adjusts...).

This is the second throw to Heath on an out.

http://i54.tinypic.com/ajkkz8.jpg

On the play where Joseph stops him, there is only Ward to Miller's side on a narrow split like in the picture above. Joseph doesn't have a to worry about a deep assignment, reads the QB, reads Heath, and is able to freely close.

In the play I posted, we have the "X" split out wide beyond the numbers. Uses it as a clearout route to free up Heath. Anyone on him will be trailing. Pitch and catch for the first down.