PDA

View Full Version : Defense is NOT the problem!

GodfatherofSoul
10-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Even with the Baltimore rout, we're giving up 18 points a game. Now, throw in the turnovers placing the defense in a crappy position. Even with the defense not generating turnovers (except one that won a game for us), the offense should at LEAST be able to generate 20 points a game. Seventeen points should never be enough to beat us.

fansince'76
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Defense isn't the entire problem, but it is still a problem. Watching the Texans take the opening kickoff and shove the ball down their throats for the better part of the first quarter yesterday was nauseating.

polamalubeast
10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
The defense has four of the five players who win the most money in the team.

A single turnovers in 4 game is not acceptable.The beginning of the game yesterday was one of the most painful I've seen.

The o-line is the biggest problem the team, but when you have four players in defense who wins 9 million a year, you have to be more dominant.....The Ravens made ​​55 points in four games was because of turnovers this year.The Steelers are only 7 points.

The Ravens defense is very dominant and the Steelers is not dominant because they do not make turnovers.

BlastFurnace
10-03-2011, 12:23 PM
There is a big difference in what I saw the Steelers do on defense yesterday vs. What the Ravens did on defense last night

polamalubeast
10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
There is a big difference in what I saw the Steelers do on defense yesterday vs. What the Ravens did on defense last night

true

The Ravens defense has only given three points yesterday and helped the team scored 24 points!!!!!!The Jets defense was also very good yesterday

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Defense isn't the entire problem, but it is still a problem. Watching the Texans take the opening kickoff and shove the ball down their throats for the better part of the first quarter yesterday was nauseating.

Agreed. While the defense only gave up 17 points to the Texans, they still didn't play very well. They couldn't stop the run, couldn't put any pressure on Schaub and repeatedly missed tackles. After our offense tied the game at 10 the Texans immediately took it right back down the field and scored a TD. We were powerless to stop them and that was with Andre Johnson not even playing.

It's not the only problem but it's definitely a problem. Troy is pretty much the only guy that's consistently making plays but he's had his share of misses also. Ike's doing a good job too but we just don't see him as much.

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Agreed. The Ravens defense is dominant right now. It's what our defense used to be.

salamander
10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
So forcing only one turnover and giving up a crap load of yards on the ground isn't a problem?

ALLD
10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
The problem is we need a new OL and went to the SB last year. This season is the same as last time we went to the SB.

BlastFurnace
10-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Agreed. The Ravens defense is dominant right now. It's what our defense used to be.

Exactly. The Steelers defense doesn't even create pressure or force the offense into mistakes. Every QB we have faced this year probably doesn't need to get his uniform laundered after the game.

The last two weeks, the Steelers take the lead or tie the game. What happens...Curtis Painter and the Colts drive for the tying TD immediately. Yesterday, Schaub drives them straight down the field.

The defense is a part of the problem.

steel9guy
10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah I'd say the Defense isn't playing horrible but it is a big issue. When a guy like Casey Hampton as mentioned is getting whipped it's time for something to change. We should try to put Sylvester and younger guys in a little more than we do to play with the veterans. But the offense isn't helping the Defense. We need to be dominant against teams like baltimore. this IS NOT Steelers Defense and it's unacceptable.

steeldawg
10-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Defense is a problem, its not only the yardage on the ground thats killing us its the time of possession, and the length that the D is on the field. With that being said, the OL is still by far the biggest problem we have right now.

steelreserve
10-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I have to disagree. The defense has had fundamental problems dealing with blocks and tackling people, which is different from any of the other years we've gotten off to shaky starts. There have always been the same questions about the secondary, but this is the first year in a while I've seen our front seven getting manhandled to the point where it doesn't look like we can stop them, turnovers or no turnovers.

We had one good game against the worst team in the league (which also holds down our scoring defense numbers a bit artificially), but against any respectable opponent, we've looked like shit. Maybe they're getting old and slow. Or maybe it has to do with the lack of preparation. A lot of people wre saying the Steelers ought to be in better shape because they were a veteran team with few major changes on the roster ... but you know what, given how susceptible this team has been to being caught unprepared coming out of the offseason in the past, I wonder if we weren't actually at a disadvantage the whole time.

BigNastyDefense
10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
The defense isn't the biggest problem on this team, the fact that the offensive line couldn't block a good high school team is the biggest problem the team has.

But one turnover in four games? Being run on basically at will? The front seven being pushed around? That's not Steelers football, that's not the trademarks of a Steelers defense.

I would start Hood and Heyward at defensive end on Sunday against the Titans. See if they can keep their blocks so the linebackers can do their jobs.

tube517
10-03-2011, 03:09 PM
The defense isn't the biggest problem on this team, the fact that the offensive line couldn't block a good high school team is the biggest problem the team has.

But one turnover in four games? Being run on basically at will? The front seven being pushed around? That's not Steelers football, that's not the trademarks of a Steelers defense.

I would start Hood and Heyward at defensive end on Sunday against the Titans. See if they can keep their blocks so the linebackers can do their jobs.

A.Smith has an injured foot and Kiesel has been out. They may have no choice to start Hood/Heyward if Smith and Kiesel aren't ready.

sactownsteeler
10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
We lost to the Texans on what our strength has been for over a decade and that is run def, come on Foster gashed us for 155 yards so honestly I don't understand how the def is not the problem or part of it.........
Take away some bad penalties by the Texans and he could've had 200 yards on us, last time I checked the O line doesnt play run defense.

Both the O line and D line are playing horrible this year and if they dont fix that we will be lucky to be 9-7 and Ben still be alive.......

oneforthetoe
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
[/B]

A.Smith has an injured foot and Kiesel has been out. They may have no choice to start Hood/Heyward if Smith and Kiesel aren't ready.

Don't forget about McClendon. He loked good in preseason for what that is worth.

Count Steeler
10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
For the past 4 games I have been watching a failing team. Defense and offense. The ST have been the lone bright light in a somewhat dim season. I take heart that we are 2-2 and still able to salvage the season, however, I have little hope that this will be the case.

The defense is in trouble. I don't know what it is with Lebeau this year (and the last couple) but we can't seem to hold the momentum when the offense finally does something. As someone pointed out further up this thread, we tied the game yesterday and immediately became turtles. We should have built on the offense's turn around, dialed up some pressure and get the Texans off the field and get our O back out there to get the lead. Instead we gave up the game breaking drive, allowing Foster to run wild.

This team is way out of sync. I'm sorry, but that starts with Tomlin and Lebeau and Arians.

BlastFurnace
10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
This team is way out of sync. I'm sorry, but that starts with Tomlin and Lebeau and Arians.

Agreed

tube517
10-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Don't forget about McClendon. He loked good in preseason for what that is worth.

Wouldn't mind seeing another young body in there

Shoes
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Yes.... like night and day difference

Psycho Ward 86
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
it wasnt the defenses fault that Foster rushed for 155 yards?

zulater
10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
While the defense isn't as dominant in stopping the run as we're used to and expect, overall they weren't the problem yesterday. The defensive backs actually played well in fact. Still though, no sacks or turnovers is a problem. We need the splash plays on defense to get our offense going.

steeldevil
10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Defense hasn't been playing great, but they have been playing good enough to win...

17 points to the Texans is pretty good.

Dino 6 Rings
10-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I wonder if there isn't an intential scheme change to defend the pass first that is now allowing for teams to run against us. After being killed by the pass for years, and crushing the run, it seems the tide has turned in that regard...as if they are scheming to beat the Pats, Colts, Saints or Packers every week. Giving up the run to stop the pass.

2nd and 2, shotgun formation sacks in a one score game don't help anyone.

GodfatherofSoul
10-04-2011, 03:24 PM
it wasnt the defenses fault that Foster rushed for 155 yards?

Is that a problem? Yes. But the fact still remains the defense gave up only 17 points with an anemic offense kept them on the field a long time in the first half.

BlastFurnace
10-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Is that a problem? Yes. But the fact still remains the defense gave up only 17 points with an anemic offense kept them on the field a long time in the first half.

They were moving the ball before Andre Johnson was injured. Because of that injury, I'm not sure how effective the defense actually was. What I do know, is that they wet the bed two weeks in a row when the team needed a stop at the end of the game.

Curtis Painter driving for the tying TD
Matt Schaub driving for the Winning TD

In both cases, the Steelers had the momentum, and then the defense couldn't do nothing about it.

The defense is [B]part[B] of the problem. Not all of it, but part of it.

YoungMoneyFam
10-04-2011, 04:10 PM
It should be interesting now that Timmons will be playing outside backer, maybe a little shake up is a good thing for the D. How do you guys feel about Foote starting though?

Count Steeler
10-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Not getting any goose bumps with Foote as the starter. Clark is going to be one busy safety on Sunday.

polamalubeast
10-04-2011, 04:23 PM

The defense is not dominant.

4 of 5 players who win the most money by playing defense.

It's hard to take your rytpme has the offense when your defense begins the game by giving a TD on a 11 minutes drive.

And the Steelers must create turnovers.

The Ravens scored 55 points thanks to turnovers.The Steelers have scored only seven points thanks to turnovers.

The offense is to blame too, especially the o-line, but the defense is not dominant.

Dino 6 Rings
10-04-2011, 04:52 PM
its an entire team cluster fark at this point...all around...blocked Field Goals...fumble sacks given up, interceptions, QB getting killed, running game completely invisible, run defense a shadow of itself, pressure on the other team's qb completely lost...its the entire team....from coaching down to the fcking long snapper who can't be used as an offensive lineman in a pinch...why is that? And why the fark is a back up QB not holding to at least give the option of a fake? Someone explain that to me? Please...I've wanted Dixon holding FGs and PATs from day one...what is the point of a Punter...PUNTER on the field when it is NOT a punt! GOSH DARN IT ALL TO HECK!

Time to flip over a table or punch someone in the eye! Whatever it takes...I will NOT have this season lost! I WILL NOT HAVE IT!

I DO NOT ACCEPT SUBPAR PERFORMANCES FROM THE STEELERS! And thus far, it has been SUBPAR! NOT ACCEPTED!

polamalubeast
10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
turnovers ratio:-10
last year:+ 17

Dino 6 Rings
10-04-2011, 04:59 PM
turnovers ratio:-10
last year:+ 17

Yep...Super Bowl turnover ration - 3 = Loss.

polamalubeast
10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
49ers:3-1

Reason:+ 8 for the turnorvers ratio

HometownGal
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
The OL is our Achilles heel thus far this season but I'm not going to absolve the defense. No way the Texans should have marched down that field into the EZ on them in that first quarter. No doubt in my mind, though, that Papa is in his laboratory coming up with new schemes and answers.

Devilsdancefloor
10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
problem on D is we are not getting any pressure no A gap blitzes at least none i can remember. The dline is NOT keeping the ILBers clean to make plays. Plus i do blame the D A lot they normally set the tone of the game for the steelers the O & ST feeds off the D.

steel striker
10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
The run defense is a big problem and when was the last time you saw a steeler defense gine up 95 yard drives to another team in the last few years? Again the defensive line is getting pushed around and, it seems teams set up the screen game that's works great for them. Maybe our offense could put able enough points but, since the o-line stinks it just compounds the problems for this team. Not to mention how much longer can Ben last to this many beatings? How about trying shorter pass routes? Playing Foote worries me as well and, i guess we will see what happens. It is a good thing Britt is out but, Johnson had over a 100 yards last week. To me Woodley really needs to step up his game.

SteelGhost
10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
The Defense BASICS are a big problem, their tackling is horrible IMO.

Dino 6 Rings
10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
its an entire team cluster fark at this point...all around...blocked Field Goals...fumble sacks given up, interceptions, QB getting killed, running game completely invisible, run defense a shadow of itself, pressure on the other team's qb completely lost...its the entire team....from coaching down to the fcking long snapper who can't be used as an offensive lineman in a pinch...why is that? And why the fark is a back up QB not holding to at least give the option of a fake? Someone explain that to me? Please...I've wanted Dixon holding FGs and PATs from day one...what is the point of a Punter...PUNTER on the field when it is NOT a punt! GOSH DARN IT ALL TO HECK!

Time to flip over a table or punch someone in the eye! Whatever it takes...I will NOT have this season lost! I WILL NOT HAVE IT!

I DO NOT ACCEPT SUBPAR PERFORMANCES FROM THE STEELERS! And thus far, it has been SUBPAR! NOT ACCEPTED!

I am happy to announce the win over the Titans has upgraded the Steelers above Subpar...they are now at Standard level again.

Count Steeler
10-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I am happy to announce the win over the Titans has upgraded the Steelers above Subpar...they are now at Standard level again.

Agreed, improving but still work to do.