PDA

View Full Version : Change of OL free agent philosophy traces to Cowher departure?

zulater
10-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Jeff Hartings, Duval Love, Wayne Gandy, all veteran free agents of some form that the Steelers pursued and signed during the offseason that would go on to make significant contributions to the Steelers offensive line in seasons past. So what's changed? Why don't the Steelers reach out and try to procure this type of player lately? My guess is that when Cowher saw a need he wouldn't hesitate to say so loud and clear, and wouldn't just settle for unproven rookies to fill the bill. And don't give me Flozell Adams. Flozell was nothing but stopgap, a player the rest of the league took a pass on because he wasn't able to play left tackle anymore and there were questions if he'd adapt at right tackle. More to the point, it wasn't by design, it was a late August acquisition done out of desperation. So it's hardly comparable to our acquisitions of Gandy, Love, and Hartings, which were part of an offseason plan.

Granted it was hard luck to lose Colon to injury in the season opener. But going into a season with arguably the worst starting left tackle, and right guard in the league was by design and inexcusable. As was being inconsistent and average at best at left guard. The thought process seems to be Ben can overcome it, so let's spend elsewhere? Well look where it's got you this year. We can't run block worth a damn or protect the passer, and as a result our franchise qb is becoming mistake prone and injury riddled.

Nothing probably can be done to save this year, but next offseason Colbert has to swallow his pride, admit that Cower's philosophy worked, and target veteran free agents at both guard and tackle that can actually play! And if he doesn't want to do it Tomlin needs to make him do it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Please, no more talk of Cowherball, running the football/stopping the run, or physicial football. Times have changed, the world isnt flat any more and we got to the super bowl twice with this philosophy.:sarcasm:

Just saving the need for some posts from those that like the taste of NEW Coke better than Coke Classic.

zulater
10-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Please, no more talk of Cowherball, running the football/stopping the run, or physicial football. Times have changed, the world isnt flat any more and we got to the super bowl twice with this philosophy.:sarcasm:

Just saving the need for some posts from those that like the taste of NEW Coke better than Coke Classic.

I understand your being sarcastic here Gonzo, but Wayne Gandy was an exceptional pass blocker, one of the best pass blocking left tackles of his era, it was only after a couple years in the Steelers system that his run blocking became exceptional too. So I don't care if the thought process is too go more to a passing attack, you still need offensive lineman to protect your qb.

zulater
10-03-2011, 07:52 AM
As I think about it, this change of philosophy doesn't apply to just the offensive line, it applies to the team as a whole. Since Cowher's left what highly coveted or even slightly coveted free agents have we brought in at any position? Think about it, even in Cowher's last year he brought in Ryan Clark, who's proved to be a valuable player. But have we reached outside our organization and found as much as one legitimate starter since? The best I can think of is Mewelde Moore. Granted, Mewelde's been a nice player, but when you consider in Cowher's tenure he brought in starters such as James Farrior, Kevin Greene, Wayne Gandy, Jeff Hartings, Kemo Von Olhoffen, etc.. as free agents, it doesn't compare. And hell even Jerome Bettis was brouhgt in from off our roster via trade.

Anyway it seems as if we're trying to go back to the future and pretend it's the 70's again, where all Steelers were virtually home grown. Well that doesn't work anymore, our roster is old and depleted because of being overly dependent on draft picks for the past 5 years.