PDA

View Full Version : Won't be a Steeler in 2012, or at least shouldn't be

zulater
10-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Jonathan Scott.I don't even want him as a backup/

Hines Ward. Hope you get your 1000th catch this year. But as of now you're standing in the way of Emanuel Sanders.

Casey Hampton. Big men get old in a hurry, Casey's looking real old at the moment.

Chris Hoke. Nice run for an undrafted free agent, but time to get on with your life's work.

Aaron Smith. One of the all time good guys, and the best 3-4 DE in Steelers history. But it's the last year of his contract, and I see little chance the Steelers will want him back.

James Farrior. A truly great Steeler, but he's lost two steps, time to go in a different direction.

The Duke
10-02-2011, 08:29 PM
What's Hoke's salary? I doubt they let go both him and Hampton

everything else seems about right

I know MeMo is playing well, but if Batch comes back healthy next year he'll probably bump him off the roster too

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I think we will have seen the last of BMAC, Cotchery, and Arians too.

Edman
10-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Smith, Hoke, Hampton, Kiesel, Farrior, Foote, Scott, Ward, Colon. Out of the top of my head.

Paying way too much for these guys who are hitting the wall. Nothing against them, but it happens to us all and it was going to happen sometime one way or another. I'm sorry, but it happens. Most of the Linemen need to go too. This core of O-Linemen (besides Pouncey) aren't getting any better. Gilbert I see some potential in, but everyone else can vamoose. Arians and Lebeau I can see hanging it up after this year and Butler will step in.

The Steelers better start serving youth before they fall by the way side and set themselves back for the decade. Even if they didn't look bad, big changes are coming. I hope for their sake.

JayC
10-02-2011, 08:45 PM
i'd bench aaron smith. last year he wasn't playing and we were beasts against the run so maybe he's the problem?

steeldevil
10-02-2011, 08:46 PM
i'd bench aaron smith. last year he wasn't playing and we were beasts against the run so maybe he's the problem?

I would imagine that as soon as Keisel gets back into the lineup Smith will be benched.

tube517
10-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I would imagine that as soon as Keisel gets back into the lineup Smith will be benched.

He's injured so that may not even be a choice.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Farrior, Smith, Hoke, Ward, Moore, Gay, Foster.

steeldevil
10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
He's injured so that may not even be a choice.

Yes I meant when Keisel gets back from his injury.

BigNastyDefense
10-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Jonathon Scott, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Larry Foote, Willie Colon, Chris Kemoeatu

I would say those guys should all be released the first day it can possibly happen.

Hampton's problem is that he's constantly being cut block, and I am not sure what can be done about that. The NFL is saying it's legal, and there's really no way to combat it.

steelerdude15
10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
The last five you mentioned I would like to see retire as Steelers.

st33lersguy
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Forgot about William Gay, he should have been cut this year

BigNastyDefense
10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
The last five you mentioned I would like to see retire as Steelers.

So would I. And honestly, I can see all of them retiring after this season, especially if it's made known that the Steelers are going with a youth movement and a lot of those guys will be backups.

steel9guy
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Been dreading this day for years but I completely agree with everything on this thread. I still have faith in Ziggy and I hope Heyward pans out. If we can get younger on the line and add a few pieces to the secondary I think we will be fine. Timmons and Woodley will pick up sooner or later. Harrison will be ok yet I think. If our Oline would stay healthy and we could add a few pieces to that then I think we would be ok.

tube517
10-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Yes I meant when Keisel gets back from his injury.

I was referring to Aaron Smith's injury. There may be no choice but to replace him.

Austin87
10-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Ward, J.Scott, Kemoeatu, Essex, Smith, Foote, Farrior, Gay.

Godfather
10-03-2011, 09:21 AM
We should get rid of Mendenhall. Bad attitude and poor production. Keep MeMo, Batch, and Redman.

XxKnightxX
10-03-2011, 09:50 AM
We should get rid of Mendenhall. Bad attitude and poor production. Keep MeMo, Batch, and Redman.

How much longer is he under contract?

Butch
10-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Hines Ward. Hope you get your 1000th catch this year. But as of now you're standing in the way of Emanuel Sanders.

BULLCRAP!!!

Emanuel Sanders is the only one standing in the way of Emanuel Sanders.

No receiver does what Hines does...not one!!! He gets open down field on third and forever and wheather it's a good pass or a crappy pass he simply makes the play. He has a knack for getting open over the middle and can take a hit as well as he dishes!!!

I can't believe how many of you have turned your backs on Hines...he can play on my team any time and for as long as he desires...He's earned that much!!!

Hines Ward Forever!!!

BigPoppaG
10-04-2011, 07:05 AM
I think Foote will be on that list as well as Farrior. NEED SOME YOUNG BLOOD!

Godfather
10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
BULLCRAP!!!

No receiver does what Hines does...not one!!! He gets open down field on third and forever and wheather it's a good pass or a crappy pass he simply makes the play. He has a knack for getting open over the middle and can take a hit as well as he dishes!!!

I can't believe how many of you have turned your backs on Hines...he can play on my team any time and for as long as he desires...He's earned that much!!!

Hines Ward Forever!!!

Well stated.

I don't think Hines has fallen off that much. With how badly the O-line has been playing, the only thing we can do on offense is throw home run balls to Wallace.

Pristas
10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Hasn't Gay actually been playing well? I see him in on a lot of tackles, and I don't recall him getting burned yet. Maybe Swan is helping the Dbacks...

86WARD
10-04-2011, 09:02 AM
The O-Line minus Pouncey, Farrior, Foote, Smith. Keep Ward one more year as guidance to the young money. Batch, Dixon, Gay...

Steeltreal
10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
FO should try and move Mendenhall for a draft pick or viable linemen.

X-Terminator
10-04-2011, 09:05 AM
BULLCRAP!!!

Hines Ward Forever!!!

Unfortunately, Hines can't play forever. You and other fans are simply going to have to come to grips with that. It's not turning our backs on him, it's dealing with reality.

tube517
10-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Hasn't Gay actually been playing well? I see him in on a lot of tackles, and I don't recall him getting burned yet. Maybe Swan is helping the Dbacks...

Don't need to pass on the Steelers when you can just run the ball. Once we get to the passing teams like the *Patriots, you will see the true weaknesses of the pass D exploited.

tube517
10-04-2011, 11:26 AM

And Dwyer

SteelerFanInStl
10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Don't need to pass on the Steelers when you can just run the ball. Once we get to the passing teams like the *Patriots, you will see the true weaknesses of the pass D exploited.

Exactly

sactownsteeler
10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Ward is still by far the best receiver at getting open on critical plays. He is still a good player and is better at this point than Sanders or Brown and I am kinda disappointed that so many people are calling for his head. He is the only one that knows a hot read and he can read coverage as good as a qb.
Not his fault the O line sucks so nobody has time to get open.....

oneforthetoe
10-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Smith - his body has betrayed him.

Kemo - either Kemo or Colon are likely gone. Kemo has been healthier, but I believe he will be in his contract year. Colon just got a new contract, so if he is healthy, I think he comes back a guard or RT.

Hines - I don't think he is done, but he knows his playing time will continue to dwindle. Just hanging on for the ride, so to speak, is not in Hines' DNA.

Farrior - time to say happy trails. I think Foote stays as a veteran presence.

Hoke or Hampton - they will probably keep one of them. I think Casey probably comes back for one more season, but has his snaps drastically reduced.

As for Scott and Gay, neither are making that much money. Both can be effective back-ups. To me, calling for them to be booted off the team is nothing more than fan frustration.

Wildcard cut would be Harrison - While I am certainly not calling for it, if he can't regain his form this season he could be a surprise release to save cap space.

Carolina Steelers
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I dont think know one is turning their back on Hines I love Hines My favorite Steeler of all-time but it just seems hes not getting much opportunity only had 2 balls thrown his way Sunday made a nice 3rd down catch and the other one he was hit so hard and couldnt just hang on. He has 13 catches for 136 yds through 4 games, thats not much production thats 34yds per game he'll be lucky to break 500yds this season at that pace. But I do expect him to get those numbers up in the next few games. I think Hines can finish this yr and got at least one more in him, but he is sliding down the depth chart I think he could be #3 WR by the end of the yr.

steelreserve
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
There's two lists in my mind: players that I think are great, but are probably going to have to retire ... and players who just don't deserve to be on the team.

Age/injury: Smith, Farrior, Ward, Batch

Just sucks: J. Scott, Gay, Essex

Colon is in between -- I don't think he totally sucks, but he's not great either; the injuries are just too much in any case.

I don't necessarily think we need to run Hampton or Hoke out of town. They're both still pretty good, but no, they're not as dominant as in the past and it's only going to become more of a problem the longer we wait to find a future NT.

We also probably need at least one more offensive guard, though I do think Foster still could be useful in some respect. I have no idea what happened to Essex this year; he used to be one of the more dependable backups, but -- dear god, what a mess this season.

zulater
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
BULLCRAP!!!

Hines Ward Forever!!!

Hines barely went through the motions on running plays this past Sunday. I don't think he made a block of significance all game. When you only make one catch, that's not cutting it.

I love Hines for what he's done for this team, but this aint the Supreme Court Butch, no lifetime appointments in the NFL. As soon as you don't earn your keep, you go.

86WARD
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Ward is still by far the best receiver at getting open on critical plays. He is still a good player and is better at this point than Sanders or Brown and I am kinda disappointed that so many people are calling for his head. He is the only one that knows a hot read and he can read coverage as good as a qb.
Not his fault the O line sucks so nobody has time to get open.....

He's the LEAST of the "old and slow" problems...

SteelGhost
10-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Smith, Gay, BMac, Scott, Batch and Johnson

One more year for Hines, Casey, Hoke and Colon.

The FO has to think about getting another QB, Batch is ... Batch and Dennis is very fragile.

Butch
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately, Hines can't play forever. You and other fans are simply going to have to come to grips with that. It's not turning our backs on him, it's dealing with reality.

I know I'm not on here as much as I would like to be but I just read this.

I wonder if you feel like reconsidering this statement after his performance today??? Hines is and always has been Mr. Dependable and today we got to see it in action. The young guys were making mistakes while Hines was making plays!!!

IMHO you and other fans need to seperate your opinion from facts.

As you stated,Hines won't play forever, but he's playing now and I for one am damn happy about it.

X-Terminator
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I know I'm not on here as much as I would like to be but I just read this.

I wonder if you feel like reconsidering this statement after his performance today??? Hines is and always has been Mr. Dependable and today we got to see it in action. The young guys were making mistakes while Hines was making plays!!!

IMHO you and other fans need to seperate your opinion from facts.

As you stated,Hines won't play forever, but he's playing now and I for one am damn happy about it.

No, I'm going to stand by my statement. Hines cannot play forever, and that is a fact. It's still dealing with reality. Having said that, he played his ass off today, and I'm damn happy about it.

Butch
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Hines barely went through the motions on running plays this past Sunday. I don't think he made a block of significance all game. When you only make one catch, that's not cutting it.

I love Hines for what he's done for this team, but this aint the Supreme Court Butch, no lifetime appointments in the NFL. As soon as you don't earn your keep, you go.

No Zulater it aint the Supreme court...Hines actually earns his paychecks!!! I don't know about you Zulater but I was damn happy to have old man Hines out there leaping past a defender to score a Touchdown and making plays better than some of the younger guys. 2 scores for the old man is cutting it and Hines ABSOLUTELY BELONGS on this team!!!

For what it's worth Saunders had his moments too, I think there's enough room for both of 'em. Just don't throw Hines to the dogs too soon. Just sayin'

BlastFurnace
10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Hampton and Smith

The LB'ers looked really good today with the improvement of the D'line today.

stillers4me
10-09-2011, 04:04 PM
We might be adding Rashard Mendenhall to this list. If this doesn't light a fire ander his dancing little ass, I don't know what will.

steeldevil
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
We might be adding Rashard Mendenhall to this list. If this doesn't light a fire ander his dancing little ass, I don't know what will.

If he doesn't pick it up by the end of the year, I agree.

Redman played well today. Picked up yards after contact.

I saw Dwyer a lot at GT, and was thrilled when we got him. Hopefully this is the first of many great games by him.

Butch
10-09-2011, 04:12 PM
No, I'm going to stand by my statement. Hines cannot play forever, and that is a fact. It's still dealing with reality. Having said that, he played his ass off today, and I'm damn happy about it.

Sure he won't play forever but it seems to me you and a few others here believe he's no longer able to produce enough to earn his way on this team and that to me is turning your backs on him. If that is not your stand then I appologize for misunderstanding. If it is your intent then I strongly disagree with you.

BTW I think it's funny how the one player on this team who is known for his blue collar attitude and work ethic is now catching it from the fickle fan base by those who are calling for his release next year. If Hines hangs it up because he decides to then I will deal with it but not before that!!!

SteelGhost
10-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Hampton and Smith

The LB'ers looked really good today with the improvement of the D'line today.

Yep, the DL played faster and better IMHO, and the LB'ers played great even without Deebo :thumbsup:

Craic
10-12-2011, 04:37 AM

But we also saw something else on Sunday we haven't seen for quite a long time.

The O line actually opened up holes to run through.

Count Steeler
10-12-2011, 05:16 AM
BTW I think it's funny how the one player on this team who is known for his blue collar attitude and work ethic is now catching it from the fickle fan base by those who are calling for his release next year. If Hines hangs it up because he decides to then I will deal with it but not before that!!!

See that is the hardest position for the coaches to be in. Everyone loves Hines and we would love to see him play forever. However, we know that is not reality. The coaches "owe" him because of his years of service, yet the coaches "owe" the team to field the best that they have. I hope this goes the best way possible, we win the SB this year and then Hines will probably retire. If not, it could become a prickly situation.

zulater
10-12-2011, 05:22 AM
No Zulater it aint the Supreme court...Hines actually earns his paychecks!!! I don't know about you Zulater but I was damn happy to have old man Hines out there leaping past a defender to score a Touchdown and making plays better than some of the younger guys. 2 scores for the old man is cutting it and Hines ABSOLUTELY BELONGS on this team!!!

For what it's worth Saunders had his moments too, I think there's enough room for both of 'em. Just don't throw Hines to the dogs too soon. Just sayin'

I was glad to see him have a good game too. I'm not a hater, in fact I'm a fan of HInes, which is why I was particularly disappointed in what I saw when I rewatched the Texan game. Not only didn't Hines figure big in the passing game, but he didn't appear to be playing with his normal intensity on running plays.

But this week he along with many of his teammates seemed reinvigorated, so if this past game is the standard from here on out, obviously I'll be happy to see Hines continue starting.

zulater
10-12-2011, 05:30 AM
But we also saw something else on Sunday we haven't seen for quite a long time.

The O line actually opened up holes to run through.

But we also saw yards after contact with Isaac Redman too. People look at Redman's numbers from this past game (3.3 avg) and might say he didn't do anything Mendenhall hasn't been doing, but I would disagree. What he didn't do is put the Steelers in a hole as Mendenhall has been doing frequently. 2nd and 8 is a helluva lot better situation for an offense than 2nd and 12. And getting back to yards after contact, there's about 5 of Redman's carries this past week, where he makes 2,3,4, or 5 yards on plays where he was hit at or near the line of scrimmage. Mendenhall has either been going down on first contact or turns the play outside usually to poor results.

Butch
10-12-2011, 05:35 AM
See that is the hardest position for the coaches to be in. Everyone loves Hines and we would love to see him play forever. However, we know that is not reality. The coaches "owe" him because of his years of service, yet the coaches "owe" the team to field the best that they have. I hope this goes the best way possible, we win the SB this year and then Hines will probably retire. If not, it could become a prickly situation.

So you think the only reason Hines is on the field is because of Loyalty??? This week he only caught 2 touchdown passes, and made a couple of other catches for nice gains in key moments. I don't see Hines as someone who would be on the field if he didn't feel he was able to contribute, like say Levon Kirkland in his later years, or emmit smith who just stayed to rack up stats. Also to say Hines is standing in the way of our other receivers is a joke as well, they have been given the same opportunities as Hines but they still haven't proven they can fill his shoes. They are our future and that is fine, but for now Hines is clutch and until they take that away from him he will have a spot on this team that was not given to him but was earned!!!

zulater
10-12-2011, 05:36 AM
I think one of the things that's hurt Mendenhall this year is losing Flozell. Flozell wasn't always great in pass protection last year, but what he did do fairly consistently is collapse the left side of the defensive line, and gave Rashard a lane when he bounced out to that side. Now when Mendy bounces it out there's usually a DE or LB sitting there waiting for him.

zulater
10-12-2011, 05:39 AM
So you think the only reason Hines is on the field is because of Loyalty??? This week he only caught 2 touchdown passes, and made a couple of other catches for nice gains in key moments. I don't see Hines as someone who would be on the field if he didn't feel he was able to contribute, like say Levon Kirkland in his later years, or emmit smith who just stayed to rack up stats. Also to say Hines is standing in the way of our other receivers is a joke as well, they have been given the same opportunities as Hines but they still haven't proven they can fill his shoes. They are our future and that is fine, but for now Hines is clutch and until they take that away from him he will have a spot on this team that was not given to him but was earned!!!

Why do you take it so personally? Do you think anyone here hates Hines? People are just commenting on what they see, or at least how they interpret what they're seeing. Maybe we're wrong, and in some instances maybe we're right? But in the end all we want is for the Steelers to do well. And there's no one here that is anything but happy when Hines proves us doubters wrong.

Steeldude
10-12-2011, 05:40 AM
come on guys, let's keep everyone. there is no reason to let anyone go. there is no reason to add anyone either. let's keep this team the same for as long as possible. we went to the SB with these players right.:chuckle:

Butch
10-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Why do you take it so personally? Do you think anyone here hates Hines? People are just commenting on what they see, or at least how they interpret what they're seeing. Maybe we're wrong, and in some instances maybe we're right? But in the end all we want is for the Steelers to do well. And there's no one here that is anything but happy when Hines proves us doubters wrong.

Fans calling out Hines does strikes a nerve with me, he's a leader and a role model. Does he make mistakes, sure but that just proves he is human. I guess it would be fair to say that I am a HUGE Hines Ward fan and I take exceptions to any fan who calls him out. I love his blue collar work ethic and his clutch performances.

Just as yinz have stated your position I am stating mine, you can take it for what it is. I don't think I take it any more personal than anybody else who has responded to my posts, but if I am wrong I'm sure you will show me.

As for the Texans game Troy took two bad angles yet I don't see anything on here calling for him to call it quits next year...why not??? You could point to damn near everyone on this team for a reason to say they are playing bad football truth is the team hasn't showed up until this past weekend, hopefully for the rest of the season.

The sky is not falling, we were just in a funk, hopefully that is all behind us now.

zulater
10-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Fans calling out Hines does strikes a nerve with me, he's a leader and a role model. Does he make mistakes, sure but that just proves he is human. I guess it would be fair to say that I am a HUGE Hines Ward fan and I take exceptions to any fan who calls him out. I love his blue collar work ethic and his clutch performances.

Just as yinz have stated your position I am stating mine, you can take it for what it is. I don't think I take it any more personal than anybody else who has responded to my posts, but if I am wrong I'm sure you will show me.

As for the Texans game Troy took two bad angles yet I don't see anything on here calling for him to call it quits next year...why not??? You could point to damn near everyone on this team for a reason to say they are playing bad football truth is the team hasn't showed up until this past weekend, hopefully for the rest of the season.

The sky is not falling, we were just in a funk, hopefully that is all behind us now.

Troy might have taken two bad angels in the Texan game, but he also made several spectacular plays, plays that very few players in the league can make.
And actually as a matter of fact there were a few posts made last week critical of his play. None by me though as I believe Troy's been a huge asset every game since the opener.

And no one is calling Hines out. We're only commenting on his play, or at least our perspective of it. Fair or not, you cash the check, and your subject to criticism.

And why no defense of Aaron Smith on your part? If the standard we're applying is classy, hard working and role model I would say Aaron easily surpasses Hines in all three. Not to make this a personal attack on Hines, but to point out the double standard, Aaron has never called out a teammate for not playing with a concussion, or been arrested for DUI.

X-Terminator
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Sure he won't play forever but it seems to me you and a few others here believe he's no longer able to produce enough to earn his way on this team and that to me is turning your backs on him. If that is not your stand then I appologize for misunderstanding. If it is your intent then I strongly disagree with you.

My stance is and has always been that Father Time catches up to every player, and that Hines isn't any different. If you want to call that "turning my back on him," then go ahead. I personally think he is going to retire at the end of the season regardless of what happens. The Steelers certainly won't release him, nor should they. He has earned the right to leave the game on his own terms.

Count Steeler
10-12-2011, 04:56 PM

At this point, Hines is still an important part of this team. Not only as a player but as a mentor. However, as the age creeps up, you have to be mindful of performance fall offs. I seriously question the coaching staff on starting Aaron Smith this year. He has not been himself since game 1. Hood "proved" himself last year and has proved again this year that he is on the rise. Heyward is also impressing. Now I can't read the coaches minds, but I would say loyalty was a factor in starting Smith this year.

I can't see this coaching staff sitting Hines if he has a production down turn. Hines does not have the "right" to say when he should retire or when he should continue playing. That decision should always remain with the coach. I'm sure if the time came and Hines was still wanting to play, the coaches would take him aside and tell him nicely that it was time to retire.

Butch
10-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Troy might have taken two bad angels in the Texan game, but he also made several spectacular plays, plays that very few players in the league can make.
And actually as a matter of fact there were a few posts made last week critical of his play. None by me though as I believe Troy's been a huge asset every game since the opener.

And no one is calling Hines out. We're only commenting on his play, or at least our perspective of it. Fair or not, you cash the check, and your subject to criticism.

And why no defense of Aaron Smith on your part? If the standard we're applying is classy, hard working and role model I would say Aaron easily surpasses Hines in all three. Not to make this a personal attack on Hines, but to point out the double standard, Aaron has never called out a teammate for not playing with a concussion, or been arrested for DUI.

Troy took two bad angles in the game and one of those directly resulted in the game losing touchdown so why does he get a free pass??? Hines has made some spectacular plays in his own rights. I saw Troy miss more than a few tackles in that same texans game and even though there were others who were critical of him you weren't does that mean you have double standards??? I also haven't seen so many spectacular plays by Troy before this past game against the Titans. Don't get me wrong I aint callin' for Troys head I realize it's just something the team is going through.I don't believe the sky is falling.

So you aren't calling out Hines when you put him on a list of Steelers that should not be Steelers next year??? That to me is not only calling him out but also de valuating his abilities. Yes he is open to criticism, but just because you are critical doesn't mean you are right. I chose to defend him and IMHO he's earned every penny he's been paid.

Sure Aaron is a great player for work ethic, but he's been much more prone to season ending injuries the last few seasons, but if you feel guilty and want to take him off the list then don't let me stop ya'. Hell while you're at it Hokie Pokie did a great job this week filling in for Casey and has most of the time he's been in there so again feel free to adjust your list.

Hines got arrested for a DUI, that (as far as I know) has not been resolved in the courts. Have you ever driven while under the influence? I have many many years ago when I was much much younger, hell I can flat out say I was more than under the influence. I did not get caught but I am no less guilty of poor judgement.

zulater
10-12-2011, 07:06 PM
It's a Steelers message board Butch. We discuss things related to the Steelers. We offer opinions. Opinions can change with the day. I think Ward has been a great Steeler, but up until this game for this season his contribution has been negligible imo. I'm not going to apologize for that opinion, because he had a good game this past week. I hope he continues to play at a high level, and if he does I'll gladly praise him for it. But I still wont apologize for offering an opinion of his play through the first 4 games, and where I think his future is headed.

Butch
10-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Never said it wasn't a Steeler message board Zulater and we discuss many things from Baseball to Hockey to politics it runs the gammit not just stuff related to Steelers. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone here who hasn't posted an opinion on this board at one time or another. As I have stated not only did Hines have a bad game against the Texans Troy didn't have a good game either and his bad day lead to the game winner, IMHO nobody on the roster had a good game that day, but that doesn't mean we need to retire the whole team. I am sorry you don't see the potential play making ability of Hines and his clutch catches or for that matter that he is not standing in anybody's way. If the young guns surpass him on the depth charts then so be it but so far they have not stepped up to the plate and taken anything away from Hines.

Hines has always been to slow, to short and now to old to play the game, he is never mentioned as one of the greats to play the game and yet somehow he just manages to persevere. Imagine that!!! I admire what he brings to the game he is a one of a kind receiver who IMHO does not get the respect he deserves.

Devilsdancefloor
10-12-2011, 09:27 PM
i think casey gets let go unless he steps it up mClendon & hoke have stepped it up. do believe there wil be a lot of changes come next year especially on defense. Some we will clap and others we wil be sad to see a steeler ride off into the sunset. As far as hines goes i think his numbers will be better since ben has more than 2 seconds to get ride of the ball he always seems to find that soft spot in the middle and settle down in it, but i also think he is one player that is gonna ride off into the sunset.

zulater
10-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Never said it wasn't a Steeler message board Zulater and we discuss many things from Baseball to Hockey to politics it runs the gammit not just stuff related to Steelers. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone here who hasn't posted an opinion on this board at one time or another. As I have stated not only did Hines have a bad game against the Texans Troy didn't have a good game either and his bad day lead to the game winner, IMHO nobody on the roster had a good game that day, but that doesn't mean we need to retire the whole team. I am sorry you don't see the potential play making ability of Hines and his clutch catches or for that matter that he is not standing in anybody's way. If the young guns surpass him on the depth charts then so be it but so far they have not stepped up to the plate and taken anything away from Hines.

Hines has always been to slow, to short and now to old to play the game, he is never mentioned as one of the greats to play the game and yet somehow he just manages to persevere. Imagine that!!! I admire what he brings to the game he is a one of a kind receiver who IMHO does not get the respect he deserves.

What I saw from Hines against the Texans was a crucial 3rd down drop, otherwise not much in the way of blocking, or getting open. This on the heels of some rather unspectacular games in the first 3 weeks of the season. And I wondered if maybe Emanuel Sanders, time might be fast approaching?

I'm glad Hines had a good game this week. But I still feel that Emanuel Sanders might have more to give this team before this season is out.

Butch
10-13-2011, 05:30 AM
And what I saw was a total team let down from all of our play makers including Troy and Ben for the 1st 3 weeks. Look at the turn over ratio or for that matter the number of 100 yard rushers we have had against us. You stated that Hines is standing in Sanders way, but I see Hines as still being more valuable than Sanders and earning a spot. Sanders is a great return man and will definitely have his moments to shine, but for now Hines is a proven commodity and has proven his worth more times than not.

2 touchdowns in one game and one was a great leaping catch to avoid a tackle!!! Guess I'm not ready to put Hines on life support just yet. Looking forward to another great week for Hines this week!!! Go Hines!!!

zulater
11-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Here's my revised after week 10 wont be a Steeler in 2012 list.

Dan Sepuleveda. 3 times on the IR in 4 years. No punter is worth that, sorry Dan, you're a pretty good punter, but no one's that good.

Aaron Smith. I say this with heavy heart, one of the best and classiest Steelers ever, but his body is telling him it's time to retire.

Hines Ward. Same as with Aaron, an all time great, full of heart, and a winner in every sense of the word. But it's time for him to make way for the young 'uns.

Chris Hoke. Still has value, but has been moved down the depth chart below McClendon, not likely to make the team next year.

Trai Essex. Only made the team this year because the Steelers got into a desperate situation, I don't think he'll be so lucky again.

Dennis Dixon. Just not an NFL qb. Might make a good backup for Tebow.:heh: Really! Think about it, hes one of the few that could make that silly college offense work besides Tebow. Timmy goes down, you wouldn't have to change a thing.

Charlie Batch. Good career, but time to hang 'em up.

Shaun Suisham. Time for an upgrade.

James Farrior. 15 years is long enough, go out on top, and while the choice is still yours Potsie.

Bryant McFadden. Twilight of a mediocre career, Bryant has had some moments, but his time is nearly up.

tube517
11-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Dan Sepuleveda. 3 times on the IR in 4 years. No punter is worth that, sorry Dan, you're a pretty good punter, but no one's that good.

Aaron Smith. I say this with heavy heart, one of the best and classiest Steelers ever, but his body is telling him it's time to retire.

Hines Ward. Same as with Aaron, an all time great, full of heart, and a winner in every sense of the word. But it's time for him to make way for the young 'uns.

Chris Hoke. Still has value, but has been moved down the depth chart below McClendon, not likely to make the team next year.

Trai Essex. Only made the team this year because the Steelers got into a desperate situation, I don't think he'll be so lucky again.

Dennis Dixon. Just not an NFL qb. Might make a good backup for Tebow.:heh: Really! Think about it, hes one of the few that could make that silly college offense work besides Tebow. Timmy goes down, you wouldn't have to change a thing.

James Farrior. 15 years is long enough, go out on top, and while the choice is still yours Potsie.

Bryant McFadden. Twilight of a mediocre career, Bryant has had some moments, but his time is nearly up.

Zu, you just did all Whis' dirty work. Presenting your new Arizona Cardinals! :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Nice revision. Maybe add Mewelde Moore too.

ALLD
11-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Moore is good for about a half-dozen clutch plays per season. Just when all seems hopeless, Ben gets the ball to Mewelde and the light shines bright.

zulater
11-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Nice revision. Maybe add Mewelde Moore too.

Yeah good chance there, but he is having a really good season, he really fits that role they have for him perfectly. I think he's about 50/50 for coming back.

speaking of which here's my 50/50 club for Steelers that may or may not go next year.

Casey Hampton, a lot of money for limited production. Still he's a top level nose tackle, but for how much longer?

Byron Leftwich. Is a good back up for Ben, only he's never healthy. I think it's time the Steelers moved in another direction for Ben's backup.

Jonathan Dwyer. I just get the sense the Steelers have had their fill of him.

Chris Kemoeatu. Time to get a stud free agent guard. Foster's ok if he's your worst starter, but having two inferior guards just isn't getting it done.

Moose
11-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm in agreement with a few other's here on keeping Hines. He is still one of the best. If he can touch the ball he will usually catch it, He's not afraid to lay his body out for a catch. He's made extreme hard catches and he's made plays to extend a drive and TD. True, he's not a youngster, but he plays as well, if not better, than most right now. For all he's done for the Steeler's it would only be right, and respectful, to keep him in the franchise...either as player or coach. Hines, in my belief, is the type of man and player to step down when he feels it's the best for the team. I'm sure he doesn't like sitting on the sideline, but I'm also sure if there is a player on the team that can get us a WIN he would agree to play that player in his spot. If we win a SB this year, I would beat Hines retires. So much for my Hines speech---LOL. Now, as far as some players to give walking papers to.. I agree with sending to the pavement- J. Scott, Smith, Farrior, Kemo, and I'd have to look real hard on what CB to KEEP !! They are all pathetic !!

Steeldude
11-20-2011, 05:15 AM
week 1 is still the same as week 10 in terms of who to let go.

Steeldude
11-20-2011, 05:18 AM

where did you read this? i haven't heard of hoke being 3rd string.

zulater
11-20-2011, 05:47 AM
where did you read this? i haven't heard of hoke being 3rd string.

Been in all the papers, Hoke was a healthy scratch each of the past two weeks I believe.

zulater
11-20-2011, 05:49 AM
week 1 is still the same as week 10 in terms of who to let go.

I think Jonathan Scott has probably proved me wrong, at least in the role of roving sub he has value. He never should have been a starter though.

XxKnightxX
11-20-2011, 07:53 AM
You Know if were gonna get rid of Lefty. This may sound crazy but we should take a mid to late round choice on a QB prospect for next year, maybe one like on Kirk Cousins . I also hope the Steelers draft a future NT.

suitanim
11-20-2011, 08:12 AM
You Know if were gonna get rid of Lefty. This may sound crazy but we should take a mid to late round choice on a QB prospect for next year, maybe one like on Kirk Cousins . I also hope the Steelers draft a future NT.

Oh, I don't think Cousins is an NFL prospect at all...watch the tape vs. Ohio State.

The Duke
11-20-2011, 12:29 PM

not crazy at all. They HAVE to draft a backup QB next year, and it's one of the deepest QB crops in quite a while

wouldn't mind even if they used a 4th. So long as they don't draft the next Dixon- Jacoby Harris

Psycho Ward 86
11-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I think if Baron Batch lives up to the hype from before his injury, then Moore for sure is gone

XxKnightxX
11-20-2011, 01:08 PM
not crazy at all. They HAVE to draft a backup QB next year, and it's one of the deepest QB crops in quite a while

wouldn't mind even if they used a 4th. So long as they don't draft the next Dixon- Jacoby Harris

As a Miami Fan (dont judge me) I am so happy that his time in that school is over. He was horrible. he might as well become a WR for any shot at playing in the NFL. And Im thinking Kirk Cousins because Andrew luck will be gone and so will Matt Barkley. The others I can think are cousins, Kellen Moore, and Weeden but hes as old as Ben and he throws like hes pitching and I dont think he can even peak anymore.

The Duke
11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
As a Miami Fan (dont judge me) I am so happy that his time in that school is over. He was horrible. he might as well become a WR for any shot at playing in the NFL. And Im thinking Kirk Cousins because Andrew luck will be gone and so will Matt Barkley. The others I can think are cousins, Kellen Moore, and Weeden but hes as old as Ben and he throws like hes pitching and I dont think he can even peak anymore.

the amazing thing is he's lasted four seasons there. Someone had to be fired over that one

Moore is a favorite of mine. Really wouldn't mind him learning from Ben.

Don't know much about Weeden though, nor that he was that old either. Gotta find out more on him

oneforthetoe
11-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Since we our in a bye it is a good time to reexamine this. Farrior has clearly already been partially replaced. I don't really see much difference between and Farrior and Foote. Certainly not enough of a difference to make up for James' salary and age.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year, I would have never have thought how far down the depth chart Hines would have fallen. i still think he has value, but this really could be it. So sad.

I am not as convinced as others that Mendy will (should) be let go (traded). Still, it would not be a shocker.

XxKnightxX
11-20-2011, 02:16 PM
the amazing thing is he's lasted four seasons there. Someone had to be fired over that one

Moore is a favorite of mine. Really wouldn't mind him learning from Ben.

Don't know much about Weeden though, nor that he was that old either. Gotta find out more on him

Weeden is 28 and was a minor league pitcher for a couple of years before enrolling into college finally. Hes a mature guy and literally a man playing amongst boys. Hes a streaky QB though, the more completions he gets and hes on absolute fire. But I dont know if hes gonna gather a lot of interest. He may get it as a back up, but not a franchise QB.

pepsyman1
11-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Since we our in a bye it is a good time to reexamine this. Farrior has clearly already been partially replaced. I don't really see much difference between and Farrior and Foote. Certainly not enough of a difference to make up for James' salary and age.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year, I would have never have thought how far down the depth chart Hines would have fallen. i still think he has value, but this really could be it. So sad..

To be honest, I have been quite impressed with how well Foote has played the last couple of weeks. He's been in the middle of everything pretty consistently. I like him and Timmons as an interior tandem as well as anyone else we have.

Hines always has value for our offense and he knows how to get open for Ben when we need a first. Even if he's down to number 4, I say he stays another year if he chooses too.

BMac out, Sepulveda out, Aaron Smith, Farrior, and Hampton should retire, Gay I hate but I don't think they're gonna let him go, Scott and Essex should be left by the side of the highway

Steeldude
11-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I think Jonathan Scott has probably proved me wrong, at least in the role of roving sub he has value. He never should have been a starter though.

i agree. he's ok as a benchwarmer. hopefully starks will be back next year.