PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Revis' actions wouldn't suit Steelers

LLT
06-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Harris: Revis' actions wouldn't suit Steelers
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for -- such as a scenario in which the Steelers selected Pitt cornerback Darrelle Revis in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft.

That nearly happened, if you go by all the speculation and conjecture before and after coach Mike Tomlin's first draft three years ago.

I, myself, see the glass being half empty rather than half full.

The Steelers have a track record for trading up in the draft if they want a player badly enough. They did it for Troy Polamalu in 2003 and Santonio Holmes in 2006.

In my opinion, if the Steelers truly wanted Revis -- whom they saw practice and play first-hand throughout his college career -- they would have traded up to the No. 14 spot instead of "settling" for linebacker Lawrence Timmons one pick later.

Revis has produced for the New York Jets. He had six interceptions in 2009, 14 career picks and two Pro Bowl appearances in his three-year career.

Those numbers would make Steelers fans happy.

However, I don't think fans would be happy about Revis' off-the-field numbers if he played for the Steelers.

Revis wants the Jets to tear up the remaining three years of his contract and reward him with a new deal approaching $100 million that would make him the highest-paid cornerback in league history.

During a recent minicamp, Revis floated the possibility of holding out during training camp. He also pulled himself out of a practice because of what he said was a hamstring injury after getting burned for a touchdown pass by Braylon Edwards, then amended his story to say he wasn't hurt but felt "light-headed" and took himself out because of unhappiness with his contract.

Revis' me-first actions made Jets coach Rex Ryan, who originally defended Revis' decision to miss practice until Revis changed his story, look stupid.

Also, Revis' public display of placing his personal goals ahead of the Jets' runs counter to the team-first philosophy endorsed by the Steelers.

"I can't speak for him (Revis)," Steelers assistant head coach/defensive line coach John Mitchell told me a couple of weeks ago. "I always was taught you sign a contract, be man enough to honor it.

"I think players get in this league, they have some success right off the bat, and they think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

"If this guy is an eight- or nine-year veteran, yeah. This guy's been in the league three years. His football's ahead of him, not behind him. I just think the economical situation now in professional football is leading a lot of guys down the wrong path."

Mitchell said he couldn't envision a Steelers defensive player embarrassing him the way Revis did Ryan.

"I have a pretty good relationship with my players. I don't think they would do it," Mitchell said. "If they did, I think my relationship with them is one where we could sit down, talk and iron it out without it getting to the head coach, or without it getting to the owner."

Without mentioning Revis -- a local fan favorite from Aliquippa -- Mitchell suggested the Steelers don't always draft the most talented player because they're more concerned with acquiring players who fit their system.

"When the draft comes, there's a lot of good football players. A lot of times, the Steelers bypass them, and people want to know why. They're great football players, but they don't fit what we do," Mitchell said.

"Everybody wants to get paid as much money as they can. But the Steelers have won two Super Bowls (since 2005). It shows the younger players that come here if you work hard and do your job, you're going to get rewarded.

"You're not going to be judged on how much money you made. It's going to be, 'How many Super Bowls did you win?' "

Agent Joe Linta, who represents tackle Willie Colon, said the Steelers target players who focus on team goals -- not individual ones.

"They've done a good job for the most part of bringing in lunch-pail guys like Willie," Linta said.

According to Mitchell, not everyone -- no matter how talented -- can play for the Steelers. That apparently includes Revis.

"A lot of teams try to buy players or try to buy a Super Bowl," Mitchell said. "You have to get people who fit into your program."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_688039.html

Killer
06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
that's nice - but what does it matter now? sour grapes?

Maybe Timmons can stay healthy this year - we can only hope.

Devilsdancefloor
06-29-2010, 07:54 AM
revis has made himself look like a fool. The jets are goning to go 7-9 or around that to many egos and it starts with ryan.

BlastFurnace
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't pay a CB that kind of money no matter how good he was. I believe the Jets are in for a fall this season. Sanchez is very overrated.

wootawnee
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Revis is the best defensive back in the league........He deserves paid........Wouldn't you want paid if you were the best in the country at your job?...... No doubt he needs a new deal...He is dominant....New York Media spins it all on top of his head........He will get his new deal........

LLT
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Revis is the best defensive back in the league........He deserves paid........Wouldn't you want paid if you were the best in the country at your job?...... No doubt he needs a new deal...He is dominant....New York Media spins it all on top of his head........He will get his new deal........

Sure I may WANT to get paid...but until players start giving money back when they play like crap, they need to not ask for more money when they play well. (Thats why its called a "contract")

kmsteelerwr15
06-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Well I don't really feel sorry for a guy who's already getting plenty of money for a game that I played for 10 years.

Indo
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
What, exactly, does Revis have as a "Bargaining Chip"? His Talent? A good CB (even if he may be the best) isn't what wins the SB. He's just a piece of the puzzle. I'm trying to understand why he thinks he can just say, "tear up my contract and give me a new one---or else". Or else what? There's the door. See if Danny-boy Snyder will pay you that much. Especially after the Haynesworth Experiment. Now GTFO. Especially after lying to and embarrassing your Coach.

Killer
06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
why is a Steelers sportswriter so concerned with another team's player anyway?

find some team news

SteelerSal
06-29-2010, 12:02 PM
In my opinion, if the Steelers truly wanted Revis -- whom they saw practice and play first-hand throughout his college career -- they would have traded up to the No. 14 spot instead of "settling" for linebacker Lawrence Timmons one pick later.

Who knows, maybe the Steelers did not try hard enough to get revis because they knew he would have bad character issues.

Stlrs4Life
06-30-2010, 07:56 AM

True to a certain extent. There has to be an end to it.

steeldawg
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
lets really look at this.......NFL contracts are not gauranteed and careers are short. If revis decided to play for the remaining 3 years on his contract their is a possibility of injury also he will be 3 years older in which case his value will go down. Its brilliant move on Revis's part to try and strike while the iron is hot, while he is the best corner in the game right now. If you want to blame anyone blame the raiders for paying nhamdi asmougha ridiculous money, because revis didnt say i want 100 million dollars he simply said i want to be the highest paid corner because i am the best corner.

Dino 6 Rings
06-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Woah...Best Corner, Yeah, Best DB, not sure about that.

TatarMongol
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
What a jackass. Growing up, I was told do not ever forget where U came from & who U were.

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
This is one more reason why I was glad that the Steelers didn't pick him. He may only have 1 or 2 chances to break the Bank before retirement, but in my opinion just because a team doesn't give him what he wants, doesn't give him the right to whine about it. As far as I am concerned, he should play out his contract and then leave much like Faneca did in 2007. He at least had the decency to finish his contract much less be classy about it.

In some cases it makes thankful the NFL's young guys such as Rashard Mendenhall are in this league. Showing that there are still guys who haven't lost their head yet putting themselves into situations for trouble and still being committed to working hard.

Mongol, that is pretty much what I think all of us were taught. I sure as heck am proud of my own roots and the person I have become. I still feel I could become an even better person to.

SMR
07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
What a jackass. Growing up, I was told do not ever forget where U came from & who U were.
:clap2::clap2: