PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Run Defense a Misnomer?

stillers4me
10-02-2011, 06:32 PM
The status of Ben Roethlisberger remains unknown as we head into the evening here in Houston. Ben did not know as he climbed onto the plane, his agent did not know and if the Steelers knew, they weren't saying.

However, that left foot injury does not look good and Roethlisbeger did not feel good about it after the game, according to some close to him.

You never know with Ben. He's tough and he's bounced back from all kinds of injuries, motorcycle crashes, etc. He played half of last season with a broken bone in his right foot. But there are breaks, and there are breaks.

Maybe we'll know a little more Monday.

Some other things from today:..............

Read more @ http://burgh.us/8ak

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Rodney Harrison just said it right on NBC...you build your team from the inside out...O'line and D'line, then you build the perimeter positions. I don't understand why the Steelers organization doesn't understand that.

stillers4me
10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Rodney Harrison just said it right on NBC...you build your team from the inside out...O'line and D'line, then you build the perimeter positions. I don't understand why the Steelers organization doesn't understand that.

maybe because we've won more championships than anyone else by doing it their way?

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 06:48 PM

They usually do. The D was not expected to fall off this quickly. They did draft O Linemen this year, but only 1 is able to start. Is this a scouting issue? A coaching issue? Kugler needs a good shakeup. He was able to make lemonade from lemons last year, but I think the lemons have gone moldy this year.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
maybe because we've won more championships than anyone else by doing it their way?

No, that's not entirely true.

They didn't have that attitude in the 70's when they won 4 of those titles. There attitude in the 70's was to build the O'line and D'line first.

Even under Cowher, they built the O'line and D'line first.

If they didn't have Ben on this team for the past 8 years, there would be no rings. Ben wins, which made people not talk as much about the O'line. Ben has taken a beating the past 5 years, and it's gotten progressively worse the past 3 years.

The Steelers have done a very poor job of drafting and developing offensive lineman.

What Harrison said is right. Because of this O'line, the Steelers may be playing without Ben for the next couple of weeks. Batch is a sitting duck back there.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Play Dixon, at least he is mobile. :sarcasm:

Edman
10-02-2011, 07:13 PM
As I've said in another topic, having a good Offensive Line are what seperate good teams from great teams and mediocre teams from good teams. Good O-Lines make average QB's borderline decent.

It's the reason why the Steelers got by with mediocre QB's like Stewart and Tomczak all these years under Cowher, though never won a championship with them. Ben is the kind of QB Steelers needed, and they just let him get shit on by neglecting to O-Line. Their arrogance made their bed, and now they have to sleep in it. Giving a False starting bum like Colon a new contract when he has never earned it and hasn't played a full season in years.

I wouldn't say O-Line has been ignored, the Steelers have drafted Linemen, but the issue is that most of the Linemen they drafted were late-rounders and unproven projects. Pouncey is the only O-Lineman recently the Steelers have drafted in the high rounds, and he's already a Pro-Bowl starter. Everyone else was 5th, 6th, 7th, or Undrafted.

Ben will never have MVP numbers or "light up the scoreboard", because he simply doesn't have the O-Line to do it. Its the reason why the Arians offense will never gel and will just be above average. You just can't do anything when 2-3 defenders are already on your ass by the time you complete you finish dropping back.

Anyway, the Steelers were run from pillar to post by Houston as I expected, and Tennesee will do likewise next week. It's gonna be ugly.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Play Dixon, at least he is mobile. :sarcasm:

I'd almost agree with it...lol. Save Ben's health for 2012...lol.

This team is gonna get gashed again next week by Chris Johnson. It's not gonna be pretty...

Austin87
10-03-2011, 03:45 AM
I am very surprised by our run defense, it was great last season and now it sucks?

zulater
10-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Why is our run defense so bad? Easy, with our 3-4 the defensive linemen have to eat up blocks to allow the LB's to swoop in and make the plays. Keisel, who was our best DL in the first two games, has been out of action the last two. And Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith aren't playing particularly well. Truthfully Ziggy Hood doesn't seem to have his best legs yet either. So it's not just about benching Smith. For whatever reason our bigs just don't seem to be up to speed yet? Maybe they'll start getting it together as the season progresses? We certainly hope so.

BlastFurnace
10-03-2011, 07:00 AM
It's funny, but sometimes a D'lineman is described as unblockable in training camp. I think we need to take that term with a grain of salt because they are practicing against our offensive line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-03-2011, 07:14 AM

On the D line we are good with Hood, Keisel, Heyward going forward. Hampton can still play, but I fear Smith is done.

On the Offfensive side, the team has chosen to provide Ben with WR's, RB and TE's', but waited until the later rounds of the draft for an O line for several years now. I think missing(wasting) on some draft picks like Tony Hills, Sweed, Urbik, Bruce Davis, Frank Summers, Joe Burnett didnt help the cause.

BTW, I heard Phil Simms last season say that is how Parcells always built teams. He loaded up on Linemen in the first year, then got his skill players the next year in the draft. Jake Long and Jumbo Elliot are good examples.

BlastFurnace
10-03-2011, 07:51 AM
It's funny, but sometimes a D'lineman is described as unblockable in training camp. I think we need to take that term with a grain of salt because they are practicing against our offensive line.