PDA

View Full Version : head coach and coaches doing a really bad job

steeler for life
10-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Watching today game at the texans ,we have already missed a field goal that should have sensed the game to the half 10-3 texans then the Steelers scored 10 points to tie the game,the very next texans drive comes down to a third down and 6 and they completed a pass to their tightend that after the tv replay seems that the ball touched the ground but tooling didn't challenge and the texans ended scoring the winning touchdown after that . How can you win a game when you don't have that awareness . Never called a screen play on a aggressive defensive line ,never played no huddle that's on offense on the defensive side better not speak about that.

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Tooling?

If TOMLIN challenges that play and loses, he's out of time outs and challenges. It wasn't a clear-cut call.

As for the offense, they haven't been able to run a screen in years. And it looks like all the talk about the no-huddle was just that - talk. Either that, or they don't have enough confidence in the OL to run it.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 06:40 PM
The O line looked adequate in the preseason when we were facing vanilla defenses. Now that real games have started, we are obviously woefully mismatched on the O Line.

I would package Sanders and Woodley and shop them for some O Line help.

steeler for life
10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm sorry , tomlin don't you agree if the coaches on defense have instructed one of the players to stay on the ground and have an injury timeout ,just to give the staff more time to look at the play and go for the almost sure challenge the texans didn't make anything after that drive.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
The O line looked adequate in the preseason when we were facing vanilla defenses. Now that real games have started, we are obviously woefully mismatched on the O Line.

I would package Sanders and Woodley and shop them for some O Line help.

There is no money to do anything. They are already in salary cap trouble for next year. They are going to have to go with what they have.

Next year, hopefully....Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, and Larry Foote all come off the books. I wouldn't be surprised if Hines decided to hang them up after this year too.

This team must get younger and build from the inside out....O'line and D'line. Don't bandaide next year. Make some tough decisions and get some "quality" young guys in.

If they approach next offseason like they did this offseason, this team is headed for a major drought.

XxKnightxX
10-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Owen Daniels caught the ball. They would of lost the challenge and ran out of time outs.

steeler for life
10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Ball touched the ground and the cbs broadcaster agreed it was worthy of a challenge
Y

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
This team practiced three step drops and quick passes ALL training camp. Like ridiculous amounts and looked extremely good doing it. They looked quick, sharp and efficient. Ben had one of his best camps ever. Yet when the season starts, that offense is nowhere to be found and here's a newsflash...with that O-Line this is the time to use it. This team is built for that with the receivers they have. That falls on the coaching staff...they aren't adapting to the situation and the cards they are being dealt on either side of the ball...and it obviously shows.

On defense, Chris Johnson and the 3-1 Titans are coming to town this week and there is a great chance that the Steelers get gashed for another 150+ on the ground. The D-Line is just as bad as the O-Line...if not worse. It's not a pretty site right now...

7willBheaven
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Watching today game at the texans ,we have already missed a field goal that should have sensed the game to the half 10-3 texans then the Steelers scored 10 points to tie the game,the very next texans drive comes down to a third down and 6 and they completed a pass to their tightend that after the tv replay seems that the ball touched the ground but tooling didn't challenge and the texans ended scoring the winning touchdown after that . How can you win a game when you don't have that awareness . Never called a screen play on a aggressive defensive line ,never played no huddle that's on offense on the defensive side better not speak about that.

As many have said if they challenge that play then the team is out of time outs and have less of a chance to win the game than they already did. As the announcers said the ball can touch the ground as long as the ball is being CONTROLLED...they didnt say anything about it wasnt a catch and should be challenged...which it was...it was a completion, easy to see on TV..no need to challenge.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:29 PM
What's the debate...it was a catch...lol. Why bother with the challenge?

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Best non challenge of Tomlins career. Clearly a catch. Move on.

steeler for life
10-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Well let's hope the jets can beat the ravens and keep pace on the division

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Could be a 7-9 team winning the AFC North...lol.

SteelerEmpire
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Green Bay was in the SB and is whoopin azzzzzz this year. But the Steelers ? These guys (except a few you can count on one hand) just don't have any "heart"... and that includes the coaches in that assessment. Never thought I'd say that about the Steelers...

zulater
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Green Bay was in the SB and is whoopin azzzzzz this year. But the Steelers ? These guys (except a few you can count on one hand) just don't have any "heart"... and that includes the coaches in that assessment. Never thought I'd say that about the Steelers...

I think it's more to do with old legs than lack of heart, at least in the defenses case. For the o-line it's more about a lack of God given ability.

But I think they're all trying.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I think it's more to do with old legs than lack of heart, at least in the defenses case. For the o-line it's more about a lack of God given ability.

But I think they're all trying..

I agree with you. No way they aren't trying. It's just time for some changes. Father Time catches up with all of us.

JayC
10-02-2011, 08:49 PM
farrior is done. i thought he was done 2 years ago but he proved otherwise. this time it really is the end and he truly lost a step. I'd like to see stevenson sylvester get a chance at starting. anyone else think he'd be good? he was pretty good in preseason but of course that is mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers. i don't know why we waste our time with foote when sylvester could be getting a chance. stubborn ass coaches is what i think

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 08:50 PM
farrior is done. i thought he was done 2 years ago but he proved otherwise. this time it really is the end and he truly lost a step. I'd like to see stevenson sylvester get a chance at starting. anyone else think he'd be good? he was pretty good in preseason but of course that is mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers. i don't know why we waste our time with foote when sylvester could be getting a chance. stubborn ass coaches is what i think

Sylvester impresses on ST. I'd give him a shot on D.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Agree.

Old and Slow...lol.

steeler for life
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I agree with giving sylvester a chance he looked aggressive when he had his chances ,but a little careless with roughness penalties

GBMelBlount
10-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Green Bay was in the SB and is whoopin azzzzzz this year.

These guys (except a few you can count on one hand) just don't have any "heart"... and that includes the coaches in that assessment.

Never thought I'd say that about the Steelers...

You are right. There is no collective heart or will to win. Everyone is playing flat.

Age can not make that dramatic a difference from one year to the next.

Something is wrong and it starts at the top.

st33lersguy
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM
The coaching is absolutely horrible. Arians makes Matt Millen look smart, Dick LeBeeau is the Al Davis of NFL coordinators, and Tomlin is too timid to correct these two mistakes and blunders

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 11:18 PM

I agree, Farrior was a liability today in the pass and run. Sadly, I dont think Sylvester is the answer and a decent ILB hasnt been drafted since Timmons in 2007.

oneforthetoe
10-03-2011, 01:14 AM
The coaching is absolutely horrible. Arians makes Matt Millen look smart, Dick LeBeeau is the Al Davis of NFL coordinators, and Tomlin is too timid to correct these two mistakes and blunders

What exactly does that mean? Lebeau is a senile old man?

So coach Lebeau forgot to tell Casey Hampton not to get blown off the line of scrimmage by the center. In a moment of confusion he told Woodly and Troy to lose contain on Arian Foster?

Oh that crazy old man. What will he do next? :rolleyes:

HometownGal
10-03-2011, 06:43 AM

But I think they're all trying.

Agreed Zu. :drink:

I'm not throwing any of the coaches under the bus this early in the season. The coaches aren't out there getting run over on the line and not making plays. The OL is clearly our Achilles heel this season and hopefully they will find a way to fix it before it's too late. :pray:

86WARD
10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
You can fault Arians for a good part of the offense. He's got to adjust to the poor play of the O-Line...and he's not.

XxKnightxX
10-03-2011, 09:07 AM
You can fault Arians for a good part of the offense. He's got to adjust to the poor play of the O-Line...and he's not.

Yes and no, when you got all the Defenses playing the quick underneath stuff , its hard not to get an incompletion or turnover, so theres not much Arians can do if a line cant block for more than 2 seconds. You gotta be able to call the plays and hope for the best. Its sad , how every time the Steelers go on Offense, I hold my breath for dear life.

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I agree, Farrior was a liability today in the pass and run. Sadly, I dont think Sylvester is the answer and a decent ILB hasnt been drafted since Timmons in 2007.

I don't know why Sylvester isn't getting to play more. He's done well when given the chance.

We had a chance to draft Sean Lee last year but took Worilds instead. I didn't like it then and I like it even less now. Lee is playing very well for the Cowboys.

suitanim
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Concerning the catch that may not have been a catch. Last year, that wasn't a catch...but they changed the rule this year so that even if the ball touches the ground under control it's a catch. It was close.

Here's my big problem with it. The first timeout they sort of wasted I let go. BUT the second TO called way early in the 2nd half was unacceptable. I lay that at the coaches feet. I knew the second they called it that it would come back to haunt us one way or the other. As it was, even though the play was close, and it very well might have gone against us because the call on the field usually stands, the OPTION to even consider challenging it was removed. How huge was it? Instead of punting, they scored a long TD, ultimately the game winner. We had swung the momentum 100% back our way, and that really took the wind out of our sails.

zulater
10-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Concerning the catch that may not have been a catch. Last year, that wasn't a catch...but they changed the rule this year so that even if the ball touches the ground under control it's a catch. It was close.

Here's my big problem with it. The first timeout they sort of wasted I let go. BUT the second TO called way early in the 2nd half was unacceptable. I lay that at the coaches feet. I knew the second they called it that it would come back to haunt us one way or the other. As it was, even though the play was close, and it very well might have gone against us because the call on the field usually stands, the OPTION to even consider challenging it was removed. How huge was it? Instead of punting, they scored a long TD, ultimately the game winner. We had swung the momentum 100% back our way, and that really took the wind out of our sails.

Great point about the second timeout. I don't know if it falls on Ben, Tomlin, or Arians, and really don't care, outside of learning from it and correcting it. Second half time outs are like gold, you have to be more judicious with them period.

SCSTILLER
10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Yes and no, when you got all the Defenses playing the quick underneath stuff , its hard not to get an incompletion or turnover, so theres not much Arians can do if a line cant block for more than 2 seconds. You gotta be able to call the plays and hope for the best. Its sad , how every time the Steelers go on Offense, I hold my breath for dear life.

So does Ben! This Oline needs some help period. Ben is getting killed back there. By the time he finishes his drop he has to start evading/scrambling for dear life to not get sacked. One sack was his though, the one where Gilbert forced Williams around the pocket to the left and Ben went left instead of right, but besides that one he doesn't have the time to even think about throwing the ball before getting pummelled. We need to get some folks in front who can actually block because we are watching a franchise quarterbacks career being shortened by the snap!

st33lersguy
10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Has this coaching staff ever heard of ADJUSTMENTS and BENCHING? The team might improve if the coaches start making adjustments when it is clear a gameplan is failing, and start benching veterans that are doing nothing and some of the backups and younger talent.

steeler for life
10-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I trully believe it was worthy of a challenge , you never know at the worst it would have stop the texans momentum, at the best I could have ended winning the game

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I trully believe it was worthy of a challenge , you never know at the worst it would have stop the texans momentum, at the best I could have ended winning the game

True, they still had a chance but got outplayed and outcoached.

The drive from 5:30 left in the 3rd quarter was something like 7 straight run plays...and a lot of them were Kemo pulling and Johnson lead blocking for Moore and Redman. It stalled on 3rd and 2 because the Steelers went shotgun draw to Redman for little gain and kick a FG.

Why not continue with Kemo pulling and Johnson or Miller blocking for the 2 yards. Or better yet, play action from that formation that was being dominant?? 7 instead of 3 at that point of the game could have changed the game.

steeler for life
10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
I have notice there is no receiver working the middle of the field defenses are clogging the line with linebackers and blitzers on the edges ,if there is a presence on the middle the linebackers will have to help and drop back and consequently have good chances to run better by the way what is the status on cotchery he looked fine on preseason