PDA

View Full Version : o line

Buckinnuts
10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Gilbert sucks, essex aint much better they better address it this week before ben is seriously hurt if he isn't already....Come on TOMLIN get your head out of your ass

YoungMoneyFam
10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Gilbert sucks, essex aint much better they better address it this week before ben is seriously hurt if he isn't already....Come on TOMLIN get your head out of your ass

I honestly thought Gilbert played decent today, considering half the time he was 1 on 1 with Mario Williams. Still, there is 0 consistency and Ben is looking for pass rushers rather than receivers more often than not. What was it today? 5 more sacks?

salamander
10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Gilbert actually held his own rather well today. There was one play that he pushed the defender well clear of Ben but then Ben moved out of the pocket and got himself sacked.

JayC
10-02-2011, 04:58 PM
well gilbert was going up against mathis and sometimes m williams in his first couple of pro games. you can't expect much from him this early into his career. it's the front offices fault for not spending wisely and cutting oline to spend money on woodley and such. the problem is kemo, essex, scott, foster and company also playing like rookies.

steelerdude15
10-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Highly disagree with your statement on Gilbert. I think he's getting better every game and is blocking well.

steeldevil
10-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Gilbert sucks? What? Dude is a rookie and playing decently.

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Gilbert and Pouncey are the best OL they have, and it's not even close. I think Gilbert has played pretty well for a rookie.

salamander
10-02-2011, 05:46 PM
The defense hasn't exactly impressed either.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Well we are at the 1/4 point of the season and all that has been revealed is that we have a chronic, critical problem on the O Line that may very well cost us Ben for the season, and may cost us the playoffs.

The secondary has been performing better and I will credit coach Lake for that.

Let's see where we are over the next 4 games. Super Bowl, not yet. Playoffs, not yet. Saving Ben's life, not yet.

Buckinnuts
10-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Gilbert and Pouncey are the best OL they have, and it's not even close. I think Gilbert has played pretty well for a rookie.
maybe pouncey and keomotu ....I still thought gilbert should of played better rookie or not....the D was a joke too....they really need to solve this or this is going to be a long season...

dislocatedday
10-02-2011, 05:56 PM

I think Gilbert has played very well overall. Yeah, Mario Williams beat him badly that one time for the sack, but he's not going to win against him everytime they lineup. I thought he also did good against Mathis last week. Pouncey (obviously) and Gilbert are the only two I feel good about right now. Kemo looks like a solid backup level player at best to me, and the rest have no business on any NFL roster, let alone the Steelers. I've excluded Colon from this dicsussion since he has been on IR the last two years.

dislocatedday
10-02-2011, 05:59 PM

+1....you are right, it's not even close IMO. These two are head and shoulders above everyone else.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 06:02 PM
+1....you are right, it's not even close IMO. These two are head and shoulders above everyone else.

I think Kemo is playing below par, but I can agree that RG and LT are the weakest spots on the O line. Most teams put a premium on having a great LT to protect their QB, but the Steelers have not done that since Marvel Smith left.

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
maybe pouncey and keomotu ....I still thought gilbert should of played better rookie or not....the D was a joke too....they really need to solve this or this is going to be a long season...

You were obviously spoiled by Pouncey last year. Need I remind you that a rookie OL rarely becomes an All-Pro in his first year, and that this was only his 2nd career start? Gilbert has played well for a guy who had no experience or exposure to the offense and team prior to training camp. Don't think for a second that doesn't make a huge difference.

7willBheaven
10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Like many have said...Gilbert has played very well and at this point is the 2nd best OL. He's got beat a time or 2...and I know this week (and i think last) 2 of the sacks he led is guy around the pocket but Ben moved and so he ended up being sacked by Gilbert's man...but thats isnt on Gilbert thats on Ben. I think today was one of the very few times he's been flat out beat (Mario's late game sack). I'd personally like to have him on the left side.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Gilbert is doing okay, but he's still getting abused by the better players out there...but aside from Pouncey, he's the best one out there...but he's still a boy amongst men.

TXSteelerFan
10-02-2011, 08:17 PM
i was at the game today, and the O-Line looked confused. Every time you see the defense getting ready to blitz you got this weird feeling like Ben had no chance. Every time he dropped back to pass he was looking more at the defense rushing than where his WR's where. It seemed like our offense was running in slow mo, only time I had a good feeling was right after the half. Everything was going right it was an up tempo offense. Better luck next time I guess.

tube517
10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/10/2/2464367/steelers-vs-texans-score-ben-roethlisberger-rashard-mendenhall-mario-williams

Steelers vs. Texans: Pittsburgh Has NFL's Worst Offensive Line

steelpride12
10-02-2011, 09:00 PM
5 men make up a line. I'm sorry, but Pouncey and even Gilbert are the two best on the line right now. If I count correct that is 2/5 who are contributing and that against a hungry D line who has Mario Williams is a mis match any day of the week and will be against all other teams.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 09:12 PM
With no running game, the Steelers Offense is 1 dimensional and opposing defenses can pin their ears back and send the pass rush.

What the team did in the 2nd half by establishing a running game behind pulling Kemo and using Miller and Johnson as lead blockers will take pressure off the line, make play action work and keep coordinators guessing. The Steelers RB's need a lead blocker like Miller or Johnson in the backfield.

When Ben is shotgun, any D coordinator in the game knows to just send the house at him and somebody is gonna get there. He needs a 3 count to find a receiver in a pattern and its not gonna happen vs the blitz.

Edman
10-02-2011, 09:32 PM
It's too late to "Fix" the O-Line this year. The Coaches sat on their laurels and arrogance with the O-Line all their time with the old "Oh we won a SB with these guys, they're suitable" and now they have to eat it as their season falls apart.

The best we can do is hope they don't suck too bad and pray for Ben.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
It's too late to "Fix" the O-Line this year. The Coaches sat on their laurels and arrogance with the O-Line all their time with the old "Oh we won a SB with these guys, they're suitable" and now they have to eat it as their season falls apart.

NOthing more needs to be said beyond the quoted.

Austin87
10-03-2011, 04:05 AM

Good post.

I am also shocked that they don't at the very least bring in A couple veteran O-lineman. There has to be a few guys out there that are better than what we have and who will play for vet minimum.

suitanim
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
The best we can hope for at this point is that we get a little healthier and these guys gel a little. The OL was pretty bad last year and we made it to the SB because they improved as the season wore on.

dislocatedday
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Watching the Jets/Ravens game last night just re-iterated how even one really bad weak link on the O-line can have catastrphic consequences. The rookie center that was in for the Jets in place of Mangold was totally overwhelmed, and I am not even talking just about the bad snap exchanges with Sanchez. He was getting manhandled badly and their entire offense was out of synch.

The Steelers so far this season are repeatedly overwhelmed at LT and RG, hence the biggest reason the offense looks so out of synch. Ben does the best he can with the situation. While he may not be the pure passer that Brady, Rodgers, Manning, and Brees are, he is probably the only QB in the league that can still be productive behind this O-line. I just hope that while Ben still has several prime years left that he can play those years behind a capable line so that he can fully flourish.

tihmtahm
10-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Our turnover ratio should say all that needs to be said about our O-line. I only hope Ben can survive. Already this season he's sustained 2 hits that could have been season ending (thankfully he wasn't seriously injured).