PDA

View Full Version : Woodley

JayC
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM
everyone knows the offensive line is awful but how about him and qb pressure? he hasn't done anything to warrant his big contract. his only move the bull rush hasn't worked on anyone. not one big sack or anything a quarter through the season. he hasn't done anything a 3rd stringer couldn't do.

Shoes
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
He'll finish the season without an injury and lots of money....that's all I have to say about that. :chuckle:

7willBheaven
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
This is how the season normally goes with him...starts slow and such...but even though he's not sacking the QB a lot/etc...he's still a valuable part of the team. Though i still agree with that ive said before i think they have way too much money tied up in the LBs right now, when the money is needed elsewhere.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
He wasn't that great last year, and has been terrible this season. Add Timmons to that list too though.

So far, they are not getting their money's worth.

steelerdude15
10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
He wasn't that great last year, and has been terrible this season. Add Timmons to that list too though.

The only two players that are actually playing for their moneys worth is Troy and Ike.

Edman
10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Hasn't been earning his paycheck. All that needs to be said.

But then again, hardly anyone is earning their paycheck this year.

YoungMoneyFam
10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
He should consider becoming a magician at some point in his career, because hes got one hell of a disappearing act.

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't know why anyone's surprised he's been invisible so far. It's been his MO since he came into the league. He'll do next to nothing for the first half of the season, then turn it up in the 2nd half and the playoffs. And for that, they gave him a $60 million contract. I said before he was signed that he was going to be overpaid, and he's done nothing to change my mind. That's too much money to pay for a half-season, one-dimensional player.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Very disappointing so far. Not impressed with the lack of intensity and the lack of ANY big plays. Then again, that can be said for most of our defense.

The Duke
10-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Disagree about Timmons though. He may not be making the splash plays, but other than the ravens game he's never been out of position and missing tackles from what I've seen

BnG_Hevn
10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
It seems like the offenses are copying the Ravens in that they are using zone blocking. Until the Steelers come up with a solution, all teams will ride it 'till the wheels fall off.

Same thing with the pass defense X years ago. When teams find a weakness to the Steelers, it is literally exhausted by every opponent until they can remedy the situation.

Psycho Ward 86
10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
you think his pass rushing is bad? His run contain the last two weeks has been HORRIBLE. Good riddance!

Steeldude
10-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't know why anyone's surprised he's been invisible so far. It's been his MO since he came into the league. He'll do next to nothing for the first half of the season, then turn it up in the 2nd half and the playoffs. And for that, they gave him a $60 million contract. I said before he was signed that he was going to be overpaid, and he's done nothing to change my mind. That's too much money to pay for a half-season, one-dimensional player.

i have never been impressed with woodley. i have stated that since he became a starter. unfortunately, he has fooled people into thinking picking up a few sacks makes him a great player. sort of like how kordell made people think he was great because he could run..lol.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Scary to think what the Titans and Johnson are going to do next week.

Shoes
10-02-2011, 05:27 PM

I'm not scared bro.....I've lived through the Steelers of the 60's. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm not scared bro.....I've lived through the Steelers of the 60's. :chuckle:

Not a very good birthday present, Shoes. I am actually coming down for that game against the Titans. And now Ben may be hurt as well. Oh well, at least I like visiting Pittsburgh.

Who knows, we may even get a turnover.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 06:00 PM
The LB's in this defense need push from the D-line so that they dont get doubled. Sorry to say, but Aaron Smith looks like 70% of himself and Hampton is looking like less of a player too. ...and Farrior is not the player he used to be.

Thing is that we should have drafted Myron Pryor instead of Sunny Harris a few years ago and he would rotate and push Hampton. The core of a young defense is there with Hood, Timmons, Woodley, Heyward, but the replacements for Hampton, Farrior and Harrison dont look like they are in the roster yet. (Carter maybe at OLB)

Woodley is fine, he just needs Ziggy playing next to him instead of Aaron Smith.

tube517
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Woodley's been quiet but the DL has been getting manhandled. A.Smith is now as fragile as Batch. Can't count on him, sad to say after a long career. Casey's not a young pup anymore, either. The run defense is terrible and the whole defense has only 1 TO in FOUR games.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Woodley's been quiet but the DL has been getting manhandled. A.Smith is now as fragile as Batch. Can't count on him, sad to say after a long career. Casey's not a young pup anymore, either. The run defense is terrible and the whole defense has only 1 TO in FOUR games.

The D'line has been terrible, but Woodley is swallowed up by TE's or is out of position. That long run by Foster, Woodley was 8 yards up the field with no-one around him..not even a blocker.

st33lersguy
10-02-2011, 07:11 PM
wait Woodley has been on the field? He wasn't injured?

Steeldude
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
The D'line has been terrible, but Woodley is swallowed up by TE's or is out of position. That long run by Foster, Woodley was 8 yards up the field with no-one around him..not even a blocker.

it's classic woodley. i have been saying it since he was named a starter. he isn't that good. he is serviceable, but he isn't elite or anything special.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:46 PM
YEP.

btw - Woodley is the least of this teams worries right now. O-Line, D-Line, Ben's health, Twinkle toes, ILB, DB's...then maybe Woodley...lol.

IUSteel
10-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm not ready to condemn Woodley yet. We have issues with the DL and Hampton isn't as demanding of a double team he has been. It's a mentality thing that you're constantly looking for a DT to break through or for a huge DE to gobble up additional blockers. 3-4 doesn't get sacks for your DL, but it doesn't work if your DL isn't even threatening.

Shoes
10-02-2011, 08:02 PM
YEP.

btw - Woodley is the least of this teams worries right now. O-Line, D-Line, Ben's health, Twinkle toes, ILB, DB's...then maybe Woodley...lol.

....have to make room for the coaches on that list.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
True...my oversight.

oneforthetoe
10-03-2011, 01:23 AM
The LB's in this defense need push from the D-line so that they dont get doubled. Sorry to say, but Aaron Smith looks like 70% of himself and Hampton is looking like less of a player too. ...and Farrior is not the player he used to be.

Thing is that we should have drafted Myron Pryor instead of Sunny Harris a few years ago and he would rotate and push Hampton. The core of a young defense is there with Hood, Timmons, Woodley, Heyward, but the replacements for Hampton, Farrior and Harrison dont look like they are in the roster yet. (Carter maybe at OLB)

Woodley is fine, he just needs Ziggy playing next to him instead of Aaron Smith.

This>

I remember watching a game back in the late 90's when the Lloyd led defense started to fall apart. IIRC, we were playing the titties and Eddie George was killing us. I kept seeing Levon Kirkland getting blown up. I started thinking he was just done. Then I watched the game again. On many of the plays Kirkland was having to take on multiple lineman because the d'line was getting pushed back. In that case once Joel Steed "lost it" the defense started to "lose it" as a whole. If the linebackers in a 3-4 can't get clean into the gaps it is going to be a long day.

It is at this point that the d players start to press and over-commit in an attempt to stop the hemorrhaging and you get the long td run by Foster.

suitanim
10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Concur. Woodley's biggest impact, even back when he was with Michigan, is in making "splash plays". He makes game-changing plays. I have to agree with the above posts about his output dropping because of Smith's decline. HOWEVER, I did see Aaron make a couple plays yesterday, so maybe he had an issue with strength and he's edging his way back?

Anyway, the tenets of the 3-4 dictate that you occupy OLmen with your 3 hogs and free up your LB's to wreak havoc. I remember a couple years ago the Browns actually had some pretty solid LB's who did next to nothing because their DL sucked so bad and clearly were not suited to the 3-4. Woodley suffers from the same.

And for anyone who wants to cite the Foster run as an example of Wood being slow or fat or something, Foster also smoked Troy on that play as well. Sometime you have to credit the greatness of the opposing player, and Foster played like a man possessed yesterday.

zulater
10-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Concur. Woodley's biggest impact, even back when he was with Michigan, is in making "splash plays". He makes game-changing plays. I have to agree with the above posts about his output dropping because of Smith's decline. HOWEVER, I did see Aaron make a couple plays yesterday, so maybe he had an issue with strength and he's edging his way back?

Anyway, the tenets of the 3-4 dictate that you occupy OLmen with your 3 hogs and free up your LB's to wreak havoc. I remember a couple years ago the Browns actually had some pretty solid LB's who did next to nothing because their DL sucked so bad and clearly were not suited to the 3-4. Woodley suffers from the same.

And for anyone who wants to cite the Foster run as an example of Wood being slow or fat or something, Foster also smoked Troy on that play as well. Sometime you have to credit the greatness of the opposing player, and Foster played like a man possessed yesterday.

I agree, I see some encouraging signs from Smith. I'm not claiming he'll be the old Aaron smith, but I think if we give him a few more games we might have a pretty good DE nonetheless.

Chidi29
10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Apparently Smith was carted off with a foot injury? Not a good sign obviously.

Steeldude
10-03-2011, 04:03 PM
is it really smith? woodley seems the same as last year with hood on is side. does anyone really think if harrison was on that side he would falter? he would probably do better. unlike woodley, a TE is going to have a very tough time blocking harrison.

Steeldude
10-08-2011, 03:00 AM
against houston...

Out of the 54 defensive snaps Woodley participated in Sunday, 25 times he was blocked by a tight end one-on-one – and got his butt whipped each and every time

steel striker
10-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Woodley has to step up his game and, that's for sure. Steeldude is right and, when Harrison is healthy and right they double team him and that would open it up from Woodley. That has changed big time this year our d-line is getting owned in the trenches til that changes the defense is going to struggle against the run.

Steeldude
10-09-2011, 03:05 AM
here is woodley's break down in the texans' game

25 times blocked by a tight end.
12 times by an offensive lineman.
8 times he dropped into coverage.
8 times he went unblocked.
1 time he was double-teamed.

let's hope he does better this sunday.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2011, 04:23 PM
How about Woodley today?

43Hitman
10-09-2011, 04:26 PM
How about Woodley today?

He did better, but one good game doesn't wipe away his lack luster performance up to this point. The jury is still out on him imo. I know what he's capable of, I'd just like to see ALOT more of it.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Not as impressive as his statline would suggest but better. Was in bad position in pass coverage a couple times, but that first sack through the blocker was ALL him. Great effort play

The Duke
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Much better than all the past four games, but still a lot of room for improvement

Harrison is still gonna miss a few weeks

X-Terminator
10-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Decent game, but he has to show up every week. That's the biggest problem I have with him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Not as impressive as his statline would suggest but better. Was in bad position in pass coverage a couple times, but that first sack through the blocker was ALL him. Great effort play

The sack was because he was being blocked one on one by the FB Hall. With Hood next to him, Ziggy is getting doubled by the RT and RG, which gets Wood on a mismatch. Aaron Smith isnt playing at the level he was.

The Steelers OLB pass rush is very dependant on the interior line taking up blockers and that hasnt been happening this season.

I am boggled by the fanbase that somehow thinks Woodley has become useless in the past 3 games, when he has been recording 35 sacks in the past 3 seasons. That is 11 more than Terrell Suggs.

steeldevil
10-09-2011, 05:12 PM
That sack through the FB was awesome.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
The sack was because he was being blocked one on one by the FB Hall. With Hood next to him, Ziggy is getting doubled by the RT and RG, which gets Wood on a mismatch.

Still, going through Ahmard Hall was pretty impressive, Hasselbeck shouldve been able to throw it away but Woodley just wouldnt have it

Edman
10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
He showed up today, but Woodley has to show up every week and not by registering on the defensive statline. He doesn't have to get a sack. He just needs to be disruptive and make plays every game. One good game doesn't give him slack for his invisibility his past few weeks.

Steeldude
10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
he got a sack against a RB. it's still good to have a sack, but it doesn't prove he is worth that absurd contract or that he is anything special. looks like an average play, IMO. i have yet to be impressed by woodley since he was named a starter.

why no disruptive plays last week when he was solo-blocked 25 times by a tight end? so if only a RB is assigned to him he might make a play?

st33lersguy
10-10-2011, 12:54 AM
That interception by Woodley was pretty awesome and big too.

Galax Steeler
10-10-2011, 03:49 AM
I thought he had a good game hopefully he can keep up the good work.

XxKnightxX
10-10-2011, 07:25 AM
I just wonder how he will match up against Nate Solder when we play the Patriots. The Guy is a rookie and a damn wall that moves. Why dont we trade with the devil and take Sebastian Vollmer from their squad.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
I just wonder how he will match up against Nate Solder when we play the Patriots. The Guy is a rookie and a damn wall that moves. Why dont we trade with the devil and take Sebastian Vollmer from their squad.
I'll be curious to see Solder too. The kid looked like a kid at Senior Bowl, who needed a lot more work. Played too high and got beat by power a lot. I think Wood can get leverage on him.

suitanim
10-10-2011, 09:00 AM
He did what Woodley does: He starts slow, and gets better as the season goes. He blew up some blockers yesterday and played strong. He made a couple splash plays, and the INT was huge...literally crushed the Titans momentum swing. A couple notes on that. He was in coverage on that play. He made a catch that many LB's would not. That was not a routine play, although there was a little luck involved. However, that's what Woodley does, and it's EXACTLY why he got the contract he did.

Hindes204
10-10-2011, 09:51 AM
I, for one, love the guy. He plays with intensity and always seems to get stronger as the season goes on. I dont see what all the negativity is about in this thread. He had a slow start this year...hell, the whole team had a slow start.

suitanim
10-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I, for one, love the guy. He plays with intensity and always seems to get stronger as the season goes on. I dont see what all the negativity is about in this thread. He had a slow start this year...hell, the whole team had a slow start.

He's the goat. A lot of people need one (or some). He always starts slow.

I gotta hand it to William Gay, too...he's looked a lot better.

86WARD
10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Woodley is getting better.

7willBheaven
10-10-2011, 01:18 PM
The sack was because he was being blocked one on one by the FB Hall. With Hood next to him, Ziggy is getting doubled by the RT and RG, which gets Wood on a mismatch. Aaron Smith isnt playing at the level he was.

The Steelers OLB pass rush is very dependant on the interior line taking up blockers and that hasnt been happening this season.

I am boggled by the fanbase that somehow thinks Woodley has become useless in the past 3 games, when he has been recording 35 sacks in the past 3 seasons. That is 11 more than Terrell Suggs.

This...in the 3-4 the DL (esp DEs) need to take up blockers...if they dont...that could easily leave 2 blockers on the LBs and it USUALLY will negate any type of pressure. I think its time the coaches make Ziggy the starter and Aaron the rotational guy (once hes healthy)...no offense to Smith...but its interesting that during Ziggys first start on that side this season that Woodley has his best game.

As some have said I really dont get the Woodley hate...just because he isnt all over the place and racking up sacks/etc (making splash plays) it doesnt mean he's sucking or not doing his job. We dont hear Ike's name a lot...but its because 99% of the time he's playing solid football...but the fans take that for granted because they know he is doing what he does. But yet just because a player (Wood) gets a big contract and you dont hear his name a lot...hes automatically sucking and not earning his money. Shoot in a way in my eyes...he's earned some of this new money in his previous years when he was making jack squat. Woodley is fine...end of story.

I will say that the sack through the FB was quite awesome though, haha.

zulater
10-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Just rewatched the Titans first offensive series. On this possession, besides the sack Woodley also had two quarterback pressures, both times he beat offensive linemen, and both pressures led to incompletions on plays where the receiver was open. That's three pass rushes on the first series that shaped a positive result for the Steelers. He also was used in coverage 3 times, his man wasn't thrown to on any of these plays. He also was double teamed on one pass. Pretty strong first series, though only one play gets recognized on a normal stat sheet or by your average fan.

43Hitman
10-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Decent game, but he has to show up every week. That's the biggest problem I have with him.

This, and I don't mean sacks and fumble recoveries for TD's every week either. What I mean is staying within the play, not over pursuing, and maintaining sound gap control. The things a player of his worth should do every week, but of late he hasn't.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2011, 03:52 PM
, though only one play gets recognized on a normal stat sheet or by your average fan. Do you think his lack of plays that end up on a stat sheet are the reason for the Woodley hate, by "the average fan", so far this season??

Steeldude
10-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Do you think his lack of plays that end up on a stat sheet are the reason for the Woodley hate, by "the average fan", so far this season??

i think it's the lack of hustle seen on the field. i think it's getting shutdown by TEs. i think it's poor containment. if you are paid like a superstar you should play like one. i want to see him all over the field pursuing, tackling etc...

sack stats are the reason the "average" fan finds woodley to be a god.

woodley played better this last game. let's see if he can keep it up. IMO, he hasn't come close to earning that absurd contract.

zulater
10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Do you think his lack of plays that end up on a stat sheet are the reason for the Woodley hate, by "the average fan", so far this season??

No. Until this game his play hasn't been up to standards this year. But according to the OP Woodley has yet to have a good game in his entire NFL career, and he has also gone out of his way to dismiss what he did this game. ( only beat a fullback) I'm just pointing out that his contribution in this game went beyond 1.5 sacks and an interception.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2011, 07:08 PM
i think it's the lack of hustle seen on the field. i think it's getting shutdown by TEs. i think it's poor containment. if you are paid like a superstar you should play like one. i want to see him all over the field pursuing, tackling etc...

sack stats are the reason the "average" fan finds woodley to be a god.

woodley played better this last game. let's see if he can keep it up. IMO, he hasn't come close to earning that absurd contract.

Yeah, I guess its his lack of hustle, poor containment that :

-gets you drafted in the 2nd round
-accumulates 35 sacks in 3 years
-gets you voted by your peers as one of the top 100 players in the NFL
-gets you voted by ESPN as the #8 linebacker in the NFL
-gets you a $61 million contract

I guess the Rooney's, Kevin Colbert and Omar Kahn know nothing by giving Woodley that kind of cash. They dont have that good of a track record....at least not as good as the average fan.

zulater
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I've rewatched yesterday's game to halftime. In the first half Woodley had 1.5 sacks and 3 qb hurries, all of which came on 3rd down plays ( the hurries), each resulting in a Titans punt. In all but one of those plays Woodley was matched up against a guy with a 60 or 70 on his jersey.

zulater
10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=DN&Date=20111009&Category=SPORTS01&ArtNo=110090803&Ref=PH&Item=18&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=60

:wave: :chuckle:

Steeldude
10-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I guess its his lack of hustle, poor containment that :

-gets you drafted in the 2nd round
-accumulates 35 sacks in 3 years
-gets you voted by your peers as one of the top 100 players in the NFL
-gets you voted by ESPN as the #8 linebacker in the NFL
-gets you a $61 million contract

I guess the Rooney's, Kevin Colbert and Omar Kahn know nothing by giving Woodley that kind of cash. They dont have that good of a track record....at least not as good as the average fan.

see what i mean about he average fan?

where is alonzo jackson? he must have been hustling etc... to get picked so high.
35 sacks and not much else. let's get excited.
top 100 players means nothing on the field
ESPN means nothing nothing on the field. why not bring up pro bowls? we know how those are great for gauging players :lol:
$61 million overpaid dollars.

i get it, you think he earns his contract with his current play, but i do not.

what kind of cash did they give kordell? look at the cash they gave kemo. you were saying?

who said or implied they didn't have a good track record?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-11-2011, 06:31 AM
see what i mean about he average fan?

where is alonzo jackson? he must have been hustling etc... to get picked so high.
35 sacks and not much else. let's get excited.
top 100 players means nothing on the field
ESPN means nothing nothing on the field. why not bring up pro bowls? we know how those are great for gauging players :lol:
$61 million overpaid dollars.

i get it, you think he earns his contract with his current play, but i do not.

what kind of cash did they give kordell? look at the cash they gave kemo. you were saying?

who said or implied they didn't have a good track record?

So your point is based upon if he is earning his current contract with his current level of compensation??? The guy was 4 games into a NEW 6 YEAR CONTRACT????? Woodley played for $550,000 last year, so you are saying that he should have played like a backup special teamer since that is his level of play??

If your appreciation of players is based upon their salary....then that is messed up.

suitanim
10-11-2011, 08:41 AM
I enjoy the Steelers part of this board a lot since I started using the "ignore" feature. It's an option available for anyone to utilize...

86WARD
10-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Not to mention it's the going rate for an OLB and of the ones recently signed, Woodley's deal was the friendliest...

Steeldude
10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
So your point is based upon if he is earning his current contract with his current level of compensation??? The guy was 4 games into a NEW 6 YEAR CONTRACT????? Woodley played for $550,000 last year, so you are saying that he should have played like a backup special teamer since that is his level of play??

If your appreciation of players is based upon their salary....then that is messed up.

money is based on what you can or will do. it's what's expected of you. perhaps you are happy with disappearing acts and average play from a player who takes up a good amount of cap while the O-line rots with poor to average players.

it's called earning your money. you think he is earning it(earned) and i do not. i am not content with average play. i bet you can stick worilds in there and it would be the same. every LB that has played there did average or better.

for that amount of money i expect him to hustle like harrison. do you see it? i certainly do not see it.

Hindes204
10-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I enjoy the Steelers part of this board a lot since I started using the "ignore" feature. It's an option available for anyone to utilize...

hahahahaha.....yep

polamalubeast
10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Woodley has always been a very slow start to the season, but it is really dominant late in the season and playoffs.

It is a very clutch player.

zulater
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
2 more sacks today, 3.5 the past two games with no James Harrison to carry his water. It gives him 5.5 for the season and projects to 14 sacks for the year. This from a notorious slow starter.

This guy really sucks! Any sack where he doesn't beat a double team from two offensive linemen shouldn't count!

:sarcasm: :chuckle:

fansince'76
10-16-2011, 06:03 PM
2 more sacks today, 3.5 the past two games with no James Harrison to carry his water. It gives him 5.5 for the season and projects to 14 sacks for the year. This from a notorious slow starter.

This guy really sucks! Any sack where he doesn't beat a double team from two offensive linemen shouldn't count!

:sarcasm: :chuckle:

Yeah! I didn't see him all over the field either! He's ridiculously overpaid! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
woodley is not overpaid

Shut up Steeldude bullshit

X-Terminator
10-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Um, I don't recall anyone saying that Woodley sucks. I know I didn't. I have always maintained that his problem was consistency, and I think that is Steeldude's issue as well. Having said that, he had a good game today and was all over the field. He needs to play like this, or close to this, every week for the money he is making.

zulater
10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Um, I don't recall anyone saying that Woodley sucks. I know I didn't. I have always maintained that his problem was consistency, and I think that is Steeldude's issue as well. Having said that, he had a good game today and was all over the field. He needs to play like this, or close to this, every week for the money he is making.

I'm pretty sure steeldude has implied he sucks more than once. :chuckle:

i have yet to be impressed by woodley since he was named a starter.

I'm not sure what else you can read into this quote of his? :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah! I didn't see him all over the field either! He's ridiculously overpaid! :chuckle:

Yeah, hasnt really done much or impressed anybody since he was drafted.

Just a step above Bruce Davis to some.

Steeldude
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure what else you can read into this quote of his? :noidea:

it reads i have not been impressed. it doesn't read he sucks. he's basically an average LB playing in a LB friendly system. his consistency is lacking as is his hustle. i love the excuse everyone gives about he starts off slow and then catches on in the final 8 games. so $61 million for 8 games? sweet.

i did notice another sack against a RB. i did notice a QB pressure/hurry when unblocked. there is no way another LB could do that.

it feels like 1997 all over again. lmao

Steeldude
10-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah, hasnt really done much or impressed anybody since he was drafted.

Just a step above Bruce Davis to some.

if you say so. you people get so sensitive and personally attached to players. lmao

Steeldude
10-16-2011, 07:06 PM
woodley is not overpaid

Shut up Steeldude bullshit

yep, it's 1997+ all over again. when will the death threats be coming...lol. here i was thinking hustle and consistency mattered. silly me

yeah, i guess foote isn't overpaid either.

zulater
10-16-2011, 07:09 PM
it reads i have not been impressed. it doesn't read he sucks. he's basically an average LB playing in a LB friendly system. his consistency is lacking as is his hustle. i love the excuse everyone gives about he starts off slow and then catches on in the final 8 games. so $61 million for 8 games? sweet.

i did notice another sack against a RB. i did notice a QB pressure/hurry when unblocked. there is no way another LB could do that.

it feels like 1997 all over again. lmao

I'm sure every other sack in the league that doesn't belong to Woodley comes at the expense of a double team tandem of all pro linemen. :bs:

At the end of the year when he's given All Pro status it will just be a sham! :D

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2011, 09:04 PM
if you say so. you people get so sensitive and personally attached to players. lmao

No, I just don't hate on guys because they have a couple bad games, when they have averaged double digit sacks over the past 3 seasons.

I also don't envy a guy signing a big contract, when the previous year, he was productive and other players at the same position were earning 10x more for similar performance.

steeldevil
10-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Woodley is the only LB in the league that gets sacks off of being blocked by RBs... That is pathetic... We must trade him now while we can still get something for him...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Woodley is the only LB in the league that gets sacks off of being blocked by RBs... That is pathetic... We must trade him now while we can still get something for him...

Go for it. Just plug in Jason Worilds and all will be better.

steeldevil
10-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Go for it. Just plug in Jason Worilds and all will be better.

Apparently I need to use the smileys more, I was being sarcastic.

The Duke
10-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Wood had a nice game

but Guy Whimper is basically their Jonathan Scott of backups

Who was the Cards RT? IIRC he was pretty good, though I can't remember his name, lol. Woodley abused him in the superbowl. He should be a good be a good test if it's the same guy

7willBheaven
10-16-2011, 10:18 PM
No, I just don't hate on guys because they have a couple bad games, when they have averaged double digit sacks over the past 3 seasons.

I also don't envy a guy signing a big contract, when the previous year, he was productive and other players at the same position were earning 10x more for similar performance.

Right on!

The contract isnt all just about the here and now...its about what he's EARNED in the past (yes he earned a good sized contract)...he was making peanuts for what he's done the previous years...some people dont get that. And i think he's doing just fine this year...and just because a players name isnt called a ton/etc (the first 3-4 games) doesnt mean jack. Some people just need to get over crap and move on...when you're running the Steelers/etc then you can do what you want but until then deal with it or find another team whos decisions you agree with 100% hahaha.

zulater
10-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Linebacker LaMarr Woodley understands perfectly why he has become an easy target of criticism whenever the Steelers' defense falters.

He's making the big money now — $61.5 million over six seasons — so there are loftier expectations. He can't afford to take off a play.

On Sunday, the high-energy Woodley kept his motor running from start to finish. He did more than play perhaps his best game of the season. He influenced it by forcing the puzzled Jacksonville Jaguars to alter their game plan, which enabled the Steelers to escape with a 17-13 victory at Heinz Field.

Woodley also scrapped with Jaguars running back Greg Jones in the second half.

The Jaguars got nothing out their passing game, mostly because Woodley almost single-handedly dismantled the pocket in the first half and forced rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert to lean more on running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who rushed for 96 yards on 22 carries.

"We made them a one-dimensional offense," Woodley said. "But we did put the pressure on (Gabbert), so they decided to put the ball in the hands of Jones-Drew."

The Jaguars wised up in the second half by doubling Woodley in an effort to keep him from constantly harassing Gabbert.

Read more: Woodley, Steelers fight to finish vs. Jaguars - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_762225.html#ixzz1b0dkVzX5

Chidi29
10-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Wood had a nice game

but Guy Whimper is basically their Jonathan Scott of backups

Who was the Cards RT? IIRC he was pretty good, though I can't remember his name, lol. Woodley abused him in the superbowl. He should be a good be a good test if it's the same guy

I think it's Brandon Keith who isn't very good.

Steeldude
10-17-2011, 12:28 AM

a couple? did his career just start? my opinion is based on his career, not a handful of games.

ah yes, the sack excuse. woodley gets a sack he is a god when he doesn't get one an excuse is made. it's not about getting sacks or failing to get sacks. it's about hustle and consistency.

i don't hate woodley, but i am not blinded by average(most) plays. this reminds me of the gildon era. he gets a sack then he is awesome. if he doesn't get a sack/pressure/hurry/tackle etc... the excuse becomes he was in coverage.

IMO, i think he is hearing what people say when they talk about his contract and his inconsistent play. let's see if his play matches his contract for the entire season. if it doesn't then the money could have been better served elsewhere?

Steeldude
10-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Woodley kept his motor running from start to finish

which he is supposed to do. that reminds of the chris rock joke when he said his friends would say, "i take care of my kids". his reply was "you are supposed to. they're your kids".

HometownGal
10-17-2011, 07:10 AM

BOO YAH Gonz! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2011, 07:15 AM
a couple? did his career just start? my opinion is based on his career, not a handful of games.

ah yes, the sack excuse. woodley gets a sack he is a god when he doesn't get one an excuse is made. it's not about getting sacks or failing to get sacks. it's about hustle and consistency.

i don't hate woodley, but i am not blinded by average(most) plays. this reminds me of the gildon era. he gets a sack then he is awesome. if he doesn't get a sack/pressure/hurry/tackle etc... the excuse becomes he was in coverage.

IMO, i think he is hearing what people say when they talk about his contract and his inconsistent play. let's see if his play matches his contract for the entire season. if it doesn't then the money could have been better served elsewhere?

I get it. You dont think Woodley is worth his contract value. Do you think he was worth the $550k he played for last year or was he overpaid?

One other question....who in the NFL do you think would be better suited in Woodley's position with the Steelers and for what value of contract?

suitanim
10-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Ignore, people.

Learn it.
Live it.
Love it.

Stupidity ain't goin' anywhere, but there's no rule that says you have to pay attention to it.

Steeldude
10-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I get it. You dont think Woodley is worth his contract value. Do you think he was worth the $550k he played for last year or was he overpaid?

One other question....who in the NFL do you think would be better suited in Woodley's position with the Steelers and for what value of contract?

well, you have to earn your salary. i get it. you think woodley should get more than $61 million and shouldn't have to hustle or be consistent. as long as he gets 10+ sacks he is a god. who cares about containment, hustle, coverage, consistency, tackling etc...

sure he deserved a raise, but not $61 million. which is in more dire need; the O-line or LOLB? history has shown LOLBs have pretty much played the same in the LB friendly system the steelers employ.

the answer to your question is irrelevant. my stance is woodley's play hasn't lived up to his contract. also, the position has shown to be somewhat easy to fill without much drop-off. why not take that large sum of money and put it towards talent for the O-line?

if your appreciation of players is based upon inconsistency, lack of hustle and a high salary....then that is messed up.

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
well, you have to earn your salary. i get it. you think woodley should get more than $61 million and shouldn't have to hustle or be consistent. as long as he gets 10+ sacks he is a god. who cares about containment, hustle, coverage, consistency, tackling etc...

sure he deserved a raise, but not $61 million. which is in more dire need; the O-line or LOLB? history has shown LOLBs have pretty much played the same in the LB friendly system the steelers employ.

the answer to your question is irrelevant. my stance is woodley's play hasn't lived up to his contract. also, the position has shown to be somewhat easy to fill without much drop-off. why not take that large sum of money and put it towards talent for the O-line?

if your appreciation of players is based upon inconsistency, lack of hustle and a high salary....then that is messed up.

Woodley has always had a slow start to the season in his career. But it is always dominant late in the season and playoffs and that's one reason why he is not overpaying.

But you are too much a Woodley hater.

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Since 2009 for Woodley

First 4 games in 2009:0 Sacks
Last 12 games:13.5 sacks

First 4 game in 2010:2 sacks
last 12 games:8 sacks(and 3 sacks in playoffs)

This year

first 4 games:1.5 sacks
last 2 games:3.5 sacks

In 7 games in playoffs:11 sacks for Woodley

Woodley has always had a slow start to the season in his career. But it is always dominant late in the season

Steeldude
10-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Woodley has always had a slow start to the season in his career. But it is always dominant late in the season and playoffs and that's one reason why he is not overpaying.

But you are too much a Woodley hater.

the average fans using sacks to justify inconsistency and lack of hustle in other areas. did you know LBs do more than try to sack the QB?

but you are too much of a woodley lover.

yep, it's the kordell era all over again...lol.

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 04:12 PM
the average fans using sacks to justify inconsistency and lack of hustle in other areas. did you know LBs do more than try to sack the QB?

but you are too much of a woodley lover.

Compared Kordell Steward and Lamarr Woodley is stupid and this comparison makes no sense.

Your hate against Woodley is ridiculous.

fansince'76
10-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Woodley hasn't cost us multiple AFCCGs....

polamalubeast
10-17-2011, 04:49 PM

100% agree

Stewart was never good in the playoffs.Woodley is unbelievable in the playoffs and is a very clutch player.

This comparison is simply ridiculous.

GoSlash27
10-17-2011, 05:25 PM
I have no idea what's up with all this Woodley hateration. Do you folks realize that he's the sack leader right now? Nobody else is even close.

Craic
10-17-2011, 05:45 PM
And here, all this time I thought the problem with our defense was Bruce Arians.

:huh:

Steeldude
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM

never said he did. that's not what i mean by the kordell era all over again

Steeldude
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
100% agree

Stewart was never good in the playoffs.Woodley is unbelievable in the playoffs and is a very clutch player.

This comparison is simply ridiculous.

who compared kordell to woodley? could you copy and paste the post?

zulater
10-17-2011, 06:22 PM
i have never been impressed with woodley. i have stated that since he became a starter. unfortunately, he has fooled people into thinking picking up a few sacks makes him a great player. sort of like how kordell made people think he was great because he could run..lol.

Um hum, couch cough cough.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2011, 11:31 PM

All I am asking is that you offer a hypothetical solution to who would play LOLB for less money with similar or better impact than Woodley. Anthony Spencer?? Tully Banta Cain? Manny Lawson?? Jason Worilds??

Rather than complaining about a player, maybe suggest who should replace him if we let him go.

polamalubeast
11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
No Woodley=very average pass rush

zulater
11-13-2011, 05:28 PM

More like virtually zero pass rush. Imagine how good he'd be if he hustled. :heh:

Psycho Ward 86
11-13-2011, 05:49 PM

i'll give it to the bengals though, coming into this match up, we all knew their greatest strength was in the trenches on both sides. And they played like it.

Steeldude
11-13-2011, 07:01 PM
More like virtually zero pass rush. Imagine how good he'd be if he hustled. :heh:

how was that pass rush in game 1?

so why was dalton throwing the ball away on multiple occasions if there was no pass rush? the average fans sees a single sack as a day of total harassment :lol:

this time when you reply try to refrain from profanity...lol. there is no reason to lose your temper.

zulater
11-13-2011, 07:09 PM

so why was dalton throwing the ball away on multiple occasions if there was no pass rush? the average fans sees a single sack as a day of total harassment :lol:

this time when you reply try to refrain from profanity...lol. there is no reason to lose your temper.

Dalton missed some open receivers today too. Worldis had a couple hurries, and Harrison and Timmons each had one. But I don't think we did a good enough job collapsing the pocket, or moving Dalton off his mark. I don't think you beat an elite qb with that sort of performance, unless your offense puts about 35 on the board.

polamalubeast
11-13-2011, 07:19 PM

It was a bad game for the entire team At the week one.

zulater
11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
It was a bad game for the entire team At the week one.

Nope. To the untrained mind that's what it looked like, but the truth is Woodley lost it pretty much by himself. :chuckle:

Steeldude
11-13-2011, 07:46 PM
i was more discouraged by the poor play from the D-line

IMO, worilds looks slow since he gained 20 lbs.

Psycho Ward 86
11-13-2011, 08:20 PM
the average fans sees a single sack as a day of total harassment :lol:

we took 5, dalton took none, i could be wrong though. i didnt have a calculator with me.

Steeldude
11-14-2011, 12:54 AM
we took 5, dalton took none, i could be wrong though. i didnt have a calculator with me.

i wasn't referring to this game. i was referring to what the average fan on here calls total QB harassment/pressure and great play. getting one sack means the pass rush was outstanding while getting 0 sacks means zero pressure :lol:

suitanim
11-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Dalton was in quick drop mode. They weren't taking seven step drops and running deep crosses, they were taking 3 and 5's and throwing short to intermediary. That's why we had plenty of pressure but not a ton of sacks.

Football 101.

zulater
11-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Dalton was in quick drop mode. They weren't taking seven step drops and running deep crosses, they were taking 3 and 5's and throwing short to intermediary. That's why we had plenty of pressure but not a ton of sacks.

Football 101.

I don't see why we didn't get more tipped passes at the line then. If they're doing that then elevate your hands, maybe you'll tip one. I know Kiesel got his, but didn't see much of Ziggy or Heward yesterday.