PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Roethlisberger has X-rays on foot

stillers4me
10-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Ben Roethlisberger had X-ray taken on his left foot and the Steelers quarterback said he doesn't know if he will be able to play next Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans.

Roethlisberger said he hurt his foot late in the Steelers' 17-10 loss to the Houston Texans today but added that it did not happen on the final series when he got hit in the lower leg, drawing a personal foul penalty.

Roethlisberger, the last one out of a subdued Steelers locker room, is on crutches and has his left foot in a boot. It is not the same foot that he sustained a stress fracture in last season.........

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_759870.html

stillers4me
10-02-2011, 04:19 PM
God lovem'. He'll play with a cast on his foot if he has to again. Does anyone on this team have more heart than the Big Guy?????

steeldevil
10-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I am sure Ben will play. Toughest SOB at the qb position there is.

Do you guys realize who the back up QBs are??? Behind this OL???

Hurt after the first series....

salamander
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Ben's such a drama queen...

:chuckle: :chuckle:

tube517
10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
I am sure Ben will play. Toughest SOB at the qb position there is.

Do you guys realize who the back up QBs are??? Behind this OL???

Hurt after the first series....

All you have to do is look at the record last year and this year. Hotel and Starks, while not great, solidified the line. They are gone.

2-2 (barely) with Ben this year and 3-1 without him last year. Also, our run defense is gone. No more of that "stout" run D. 1 turnover in 4 games for the defense.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Time for Rooney to have a conversation with Colbert and Tomlin. "I want an O Line. NOW!!!"

stillers4me
10-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Time for Rooney to have a conversation with Colbert and Tomlin. "I want an O Line. NOW!!!"

From where?? :noidea:

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM

That conversation needed to take place 4 years ago. It's too late now.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 04:43 PM
From where?? :noidea:

Make a trade, call Adams, seek out other linemen that may have been cut recently, CFL, Arena League.

First step is to admit we have a problem. Then work on fixing it. Thinking we have the tools in house to put up an O Line is obvious insanity.

Of course, all is well, and Ben does not need any protection. What am I thinking?

steel9guy
10-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Adams was awesome last year, I would rather have him than anyone else besides Pouncey on our line. Colon was a stretch and now look at what happened. We need Flozell Adams and we need him FREAKEN NOW!

Shoes
10-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Make a trade, call Adams, seek out other linemen that may have been cut recently, CFL, Arena League.

First step is to admit we have a problem. Then work on fixing it. Thinking we have the tools in house to put up an O Line is obvious insanity.

Of course, all is well, and Ben does not need any protection. What am I thinking?

Mike T statement after today's game tells me that after coaching he should get into politics :chuckle:

Offensive line – do you think you need some help there?
It depends on the health of the men. We’ll rally and see who we have coming back, look at the men that played in this game and make those decisions at the appropriate time which is of course moving into next week, not as we sit here right now. Those would be emotional ones. We are not in that business.

fansince'76
10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Mike T statement after today's game tells me that after coaching he should get into politics :chuckle:

Offensive line – do you think you need some help there?
It depends on the health of the men. We’ll rally and see who we have coming back, look at the men that played in this game and make those decisions at the appropriate time which is of course moving into next week, not as we sit here right now. Those would be emotional ones. We are not in that business.

"I don't subscribe to that hocus pocus." :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 04:53 PM

They have no salary cap room this year to do anything with the O'line.

Just pray that they don't draft a OLB with their first pick.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
It is too easy to say we can't do anything.

We have a serious problem. Our QB, that we invested 100M in, is getting smacked around but good. Our running game is woeful.

1) Fire Kugler.
2) Fire Arians. (reaching)
3) Trade for an O Lineman. (Woodly, Sanders, Worilds, Lewis) get creative.
4) Cut some O Linemen. Release Colon outright, if possible. Bring in some late cuts from the teams that have a good O Line. I do not believe that all the O Line men out of work are worse than our current crew.

I don't know what is allowed and what isn't at this point of the season, but the FO does know what is allowed and hopefully they scouted some other late cuts from some other teams. Even Keith Williams, our 6th rounder went to the Bills. I refuse to believe that none of the late cut O Linemen would not be able to help us.

polamalubeast
10-02-2011, 05:42 PM
The Steelers are stupid to have one of the worst o-line in the NFL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 05:54 PM
That conversation needed to take place 4 years ago. It's too late now.

The wisest thing said on this board in months!!

BigNastyDefense
10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
It is too easy to say we can't do anything.

We have a serious problem. Our QB, that we invested 100M in, is getting smacked around but good. Our running game is woeful.

1) Fire Kugler.
2) Fire Arians. (reaching)
3) Trade for an O Lineman. (Woodly, Sanders, Worilds, Lewis) get creative.
4) Cut some O Linemen. Release Colon outright, if possible. Bring in some late cuts from the teams that have a good O Line. I do not believe that all the O Line men out of work are worse than our current crew.

I don't know what is allowed and what isn't at this point of the season, but the FO does know what is allowed and hopefully they scouted some other late cuts from some other teams. Even Keith Williams, our 6th rounder went to the Bills. I refuse to believe that none of the late cut O Linemen would not be able to help us.

Cutting an offensive lineman isn't going to create any cap space, all salaries are guaranteed for the year once they showed up to play week one.

If you think there are good offensive linemen out there, then list them. List the guys that would come and play here that would take a salary under the approximate $2.5M the Steelers have to work with under the salary cap. Flozell Adams? He doesn't want to get off of his fat ass for less than $5M. I think Max Starks would take a salary that fits under the cap, but I don't think he wants to play for Mike Tomlin after he got benched after being franchised and then given a big contract.

So tell me Count, who's currently available that would sign cheap enough?

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 06:56 PM
So tell me Count, who's currently available that would sign cheap enough?

Obviously no one. So let's just leave well enough alone and hopefully Ben won't need crutches this year.

I don't get paid, nor do I have time to know who is out there that may help. However, with the cast of characters on this O Line, I doubt very much that there isn't a late cut T or G out there that would be worth a look. Turning a blind eye and saying we have what we need in house is ridiculous. No Ts or Gs on anyones practice squad? Really?

I say we can package Sanders and Woodley for at least a couple of pylons.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Obviously no one. So let's just leave well enough alone and hopefully Ben won't need crutches this year.

I don't get paid, nor do I have time to know who is out there that may help. However, with the cast of characters on this O Line, I doubt very much that there isn't a late cut T or G out there that would be worth a look. Turning a blind eye and saying we have what we need in house is ridiculous. No Ts or Gs on anyones practice squad? Really?

I say we can package Sanders and Woodley for at least a couple of pylons.

If there was a way to fix this O'line with signing guys, I think we all would be for it, but it's not realistic. There are really no options right now other than to try to develop some of our young O'lineman.

Personally, I would go with what they have right now. It's not pretty, but it's the best they have. Unfortunately, the only young draft picks they have are starting in Pouncey and Gilbert. We will never know if Urbik could have been because the coaching staff dumped him.

This is a problem that won't be able to "begin" go get fixed until next year.

In the meantime, we pray for Ben.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I hope for his sake he doesn't play. I wouldn't wish that O-Line on anyone...lol.

BigNastyDefense
10-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't want to trade Woodley. I think that would be a mistake.

And trades don't happen in the NFL that often because teams don't want to sacrifice what "might be." Nobody is giving up a quality OL for a package of Woodley and Sanders because "what if" they later need that OL guy. Offensive linemen are the least tradable asset in the NFL because many of them are system guys.

One thing I think could help this offensive line would be if they started cut blocking, since it's legal and all. They don't have the ability to push the defense around, and while I think cut blocking is cheap and weak....I'd rather do that than get our quarterback killed.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
86Ward is right. Utilize the 3 step drop to control the pass rush. Where is the no huddle?

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:41 PM
There were plenty of OLineman out there this past offseason. The Steelers spent the money on the line, they just spent it on the wrong players...their own. Now?

Trading Woodley and Sanders would be silly talk.

Available Now:

TACKLES
Langston Walker - a nice run blocker.
Max Starks
Nick Kaczur
Mark Tauscher
Flozell Adams

GUARDS
Leonard Davis
Rich Seubert

All old, all experienced, all possibly worth a one year contract over what the Steelers are fielding now...lol.

steelpride12
10-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry, but for Ben's sake if his foot is not 100% come Sunday I say sit him. This OL will get him killed out there and going out before a game already injured is a death sentence and the Titans will go after his foot and body all game long.

BigNastyDefense
10-02-2011, 09:10 PM
There were plenty of OLineman out there this past offseason. The Steelers spent the money on the line, they just spent it on the wrong players...their own. Now?

Available Now:

TACKLES
Max Starks
Nick Kaczur
Mark Tauscher
Flozell Adams

GUARDS
Leonard Davis
Rich Seubert

All old, all experienced, all possibly worth a one year contract over what the Steelers are fielding now...lol.

Flozell and Starks were both cut by us, partly because they wouldn't take pay cuts to get under the salary cap so they became cap casualties.

It's already been reported that Flo wants $5M to get off his ass. So he's unattainable because we only have about $2.5M in available cap space.

I don't think Starks would want to come back. Tomlin benched him after he was franchise tagged (that had to hurt his ego), and we just cut him about one month ago. I think he'd rather not play than come back to Pittsburgh.

But if any of those other guys want to come to Pittsburgh for a cap friendly deal, I'll take them!

steeldevil
10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Everyone knows the Titans D takes cheap shots. Especially Finnegan, but they all do really. I would not be totally opposed to sitting Ben if it is a serious thing. And if Ben does play then we have to throw all quick passes and we have to run it well.

BigNastyDefense
10-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Everyone knows the Titans D takes cheap shots. Especially Finnegan, but they all do really. I would not be totally opposed to sitting Ben if it is a serious thing. And if Ben does play then we have to throw all quick passes and we have to run it well.

I freaking hate Finnegan! I was watching the first half of the Browns-Titans game at my girlfriend's house with her dad and brother (both Browns fans). The entire time we kept commenting on how much of a punk Finnegan is.

I hope Hines Ward takes his fucking head off on Sunday.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Flozell and Starks were both cut by us, partly because they wouldn't take pay cuts to get under the salary cap so they became cap casualties.

It's already been reported that Flo wants $5M to get off his ass. So he's unattainable because we only have about $2.5M in available cap space.

I don't think Starks would want to come back. Tomlin benched him after he was franchise tagged (that had to hurt his ego), and we just cut him about one month ago. I think he'd rather not play than come back to Pittsburgh.

But if any of those other guys want to come to Pittsburgh for a cap friendly deal, I'll take them!

What's out there is most likely better than what is on this team. If they want to get better, they can sign anyone to a "cap friendly" deal. They just have to make it happen...it's not that hard. Otherwise, they suffer a slow and miserable death.

The Duke
10-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I freaking hate Finnegan! I was watching the first half of the Browns-Titans game at my girlfriend's house with her dad and brother (both Browns fans). The entire time we kept commenting on how much of a punk Finnegan is.

I hope Hines Ward takes his fucking head off on Sunday.

Finnegan vs Ward is one of my favorite matchups

should be fun

BigNastyDefense
10-02-2011, 11:13 PM
What's out there is most likely better than what is on this team. If they want to get better, they can sign anyone to a "cap friendly" deal. They just have to make it happen...it's not that hard. Otherwise, they suffer a slow and miserable death.

The player has to be willing to take a "cap friendly" deal. Some guys aren't willing to take less. Look at Flozell Adams....he won't play for any less than $5M.

Austin87
10-03-2011, 04:10 AM

Available Now:

TACKLES
Max Starks
Nick Kaczur
Mark Tauscher
Flozell Adams

GUARDS
Leonard Davis
Rich Seubert

These guys can't be worse than what we have right now.