PDA

View Full Version : Redman vs Mendenhall

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Debate.....

steelreserve
10-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Well, Redman is doing better right now. Might as well use him as long as he's got the hot hand.

fansince'76
10-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm starting to see things Zu's way. :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm starting to see things Zu's way. :chuckle:

That 3rd down run, Mendenhall would have gone down like a wet suit. Redman always seems to go forward.

GodfatherofSoul
10-02-2011, 02:26 PM
I hate to say it, but Redman looks far superior. Isn't coughing the ball up and he's always hitting the hole hard and pressing forward.

Edman
10-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Redman understands the situation. He has no run blocking and makes something of nothing. He's decisive and hits whatever is there. Pure downhill runner.

Bumblehall dances and goes down like a deck of cards. Even Memo is running better than he is.

Redman and Memo has vastly outplayed Mendenhall this season. Maybe if we played them more defenses would respect the run game and not have free reign to tee off on the Passing game.

Steeldude
10-02-2011, 02:56 PM
it's impossible for another player to be a better fit.

Godfather
10-02-2011, 02:59 PM
We need to use a two-headed monster of MeMo and Redman. Force opponents to respect the run and they'll have to back off Ben a little.

steelersfanman92
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I think today showed it pretty clearly, right now Redman is the better player and gives the Steelers the best chance to win.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Mendenhall looks as skittish as Parker did toward the end of his career.

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Redman had better be starting next week. Mendenhall has been totally ineffective, and I think the coaching staff finally realized that today.

steelerdude15
10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Issac is playing much better than Mendy. I hate to say it, but Mendy needs to be benched because he hasn't done much this year. Issac is playing with a lot more heart than Mendy is as well.

steeldevil
10-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Issac is playing much better than Mendy. I hate to say it, but Mendy needs to be benched because he hasn't done much this year. Issac is playing with a lot more heart than Mendy is as well.

yep

smokin3000gt
10-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Mendenhall looks as skittish as Parker did toward the end of his career.

I think he's trying too hard but I agree he is starting to look a lot like "2yd Willy".

SteelerFanInStl
10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Redman is simply playing much better. He hits the holes harder and is always moving the ball forward.

steelreserve
10-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I think he's trying too hard but I agree he is starting to look a lot like "2yd Willy".

2 yards is a bit generous for Parker. But anyway, I agree, something's off with Mendenhall this year, and that IS the direction he's taking.

This offense needs one thing from a running back: A stocky guy who's hard to bring down. It doesn't have to be the next Bettis or the next Barry Sanders, just a pretty-good all around back who keeps moving forward. Right now, that's Redman.

Jay
10-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I seriously don't know why everyone is so surprised. Redman's first year, he clearly outplayed all the RBs in pre-season and was cut, then sent to the practice squad. Mendy had a decent season. Last year he came to camp knowing what to expect and improved like any second year player should. This year, I think he "gets it" as far as NFL game speed, defensive reads and the like. Mendenhall is what he is. Not knocking Mendenhall, but we know he's not going to run anybody over or break many tackles. Redman's "been doing" that in his VERY limited opportunities. BA needs to pull his head out of his azz and at least split the load a little more evenly. The sign of a great offensive coordinator is when they can play to the strengths of their personnel and right now that's just not happening. You got a banged up offensive line, so I'll sit my power back and play my dancer???

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Well, Mendenhall strained a hammy, so we all may get our wish next week.

stillers4me
10-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Redman had better be starting next week. Mendenhall has been totally ineffective, and I think the coaching staff finally realized that today.

Bruce is quoted all week long that it's Mendy's job, he's our featured back, blah, blah, blah.

If Mendenhall can get on the field, he will be on the field. Book it.

steelerdude15
10-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Bruce is quoted all week long that it's Mendy's job, he's our featured back, blah, blah, blah.

If Mendenhall can get on the field, he will be on the field. Book it.

Can't wait till the fuck retires or gets fired. He sucks

steel9guy
10-02-2011, 04:01 PM
REDMAN!

7willBheaven
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
While in reality i think its hard to compare the 2 as they have two different running styles. Mendy is more of an outside and in space kind of guy (though IF he has holes he can run up the gut too). Redman is more of a hard nosed up the gut runner...and even to add Moore to the list...he's actually a mixture of both Mendy and Redman I think.

Now unlike some I dont think either of them suck or should be cut, benched, etc...with the OL that they have right now its not fair to any RB to have to run behind. Today Redman did look better as did the OL in that 3rd QTR. And I always say go with the hot hand and who is actually working...and not as a way to "punish" Mendy or whatever but Redman is doing better right now. They can bring Mendy in some as they do with Moore...but give Redman a try...it couldnt hurt at this point.

stillers4me
10-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I seriously don't know why everyone is so surprised. Redman's first year, he clearly outplayed all the RBs in pre-season and was cut, then sent to the practice squad. Mendy had a decent season. Last year he came to camp knowing what to expect and improved like any second year player should. This year, I think he "gets it" as far as NFL game speed, defensive reads and the like. Mendenhall is what he is. Not knocking Mendenhall, but we know he's not going to run anybody over or break many tackles. Redman's "been doing" that in his VERY limited opportunities. BA needs to pull his head out of his azz and at least split the load a little more evenly. The sign of a great offensive coordinator is when they can play to the strengths of their personnel and right now that's just not happening. You got a banged up offensive line, so I'll sit my power back and play my dancer???

This has been my biggest beef with Arians, although, being this is your first post, I'll tell you this subject makes for a divided forum. To me, he just seems too stubborn to make the adjustments that seem obvious to everyone. And right now, our D is just unrecognizable, so there's plenty of blame to go all around.

Welcome to SU!! And put on your rubber suit when it comes to talking about Arians!

Psycho Ward 86
10-02-2011, 04:32 PM
gotta give Redman the love at this point. there is nothing he hasnt done to earn more playing time

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Was saying it last week, bench Mendy for 1 game and dress Dwyer and Redman. Redman starts.

Steeldude
10-02-2011, 04:43 PM
so the only reason redman was in was because mendenhall's was hurt. it figures. i thought maybe just maybe arians put him in because mendenhall was ineffective. what was i thinking..lol

JayC
10-02-2011, 05:11 PM
i said in the first game thread i think redman can be a starter in this league and in my opinion he is a better runner than mendy. if i was coach, i'd make redman the #1 running back.

tube517
10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
so the only reason redman was in was because mendenhall's was hurt. it figures. i thought maybe just maybe arians put him in because mendenhall was ineffective. what was i thinking..lol
They like to run one RB until the wheels fall off.

Nadroj 20
10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I've been saying Redman needs more of a chance and he has definitely earned more carries. I'd love to think Mendy can snap out of this funk but Redman is running much better at this point.

86WARD
10-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Today: REDMAN >>>>>> MOORE >>>> MENDENHALL.

Still...the O-Line is the main problem and that's not gonna change anytime soon.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Redman was the benefit of double TE sets with at times, Miller in motion and Johnson lead blocking...and I even saw a play where Kemo pulled and Johnson was lead blocking in the hole for Redman.

For some reason it seems that the lead blocker that Mendenhall asked to run behind, is what Redman got to run behind in the 2nd half. Should have done more of that earlier in the game.

Psycho Ward 86
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Redman was the benefit of double TE sets with at times, Miller in motion and Johnson lead blocking...and I even saw a play where Kemo pulled and Johnson was lead blocking in the hole for Redman.

For some reason it seems that the lead blocker that Mendenhall asked to run behind, is what Redman got to run behind in the 2nd half. Should have done more of that earlier in the game.

are you saying Redman seems to get that coveted lead blocker a lot more often than Mendenhall? Not criticizing, just curious

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 11:14 PM
are you saying Redman seems to get that coveted lead blocker a lot more often than Mendenhall? Not criticizing, just curious

Just observing that in around the 3rd quarter, I saw the Steelers start to really try and establish the running game by feeding Redman the ball, play after play. During that series, I saw a lead blocker in the backfield almost every play and Redman was able to read the block of that H-back.

I even saw what almost looked like the play where both the TE and LG pull from the left to lead block for the RB running to the right. I dont think I have seen that blocking scheme in 2 years, since Zeirline was the O line coach. It reminded me of the 2008 season (week 17) where the Steelers pounded the ball down the Browns throat .

I just wish the Offense brought more blockers at the point of attack like that with Mendenhall, rather than running him alone into a zone right or zone left scheme, where he has d linemen shooting the gaps and blowing up plays.

I'm not saying we need Dan Kreider and an I formation, but just give the backs a lead blocker and let them use the extra block to find a crease.

suitanim
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
How would it be Arians decision to start Mendenhall over Redman? Seriously...that's not the OC's call, it Tomlin's.

That's why it somehow hard to take some of the prognosticators on this site seriously.

ALLD
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Mendenhall is not playing with heart.

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Mendenhall is not playing with heart.

He and quite a few other players on this team right now.

Austin87
10-04-2011, 03:14 AM
The players almost seem unmotivated.

HometownGal
10-04-2011, 06:46 AM
I've been somewhat disappointed in Mendy thus far as he doesn't push through and does that stutter step bullshit instead of keeping those legs moving like both Redman and MeMo do. Get those legs and that ass moving Mendy!!!!!

SteelGhost
10-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Redman GLIDES, LOL ! As someone said, Rashard looks unmotivated.

Texasteel
10-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Redman GLIDES, LOL ! As someone said, Rashard looks unmotivated.

That's suddenness and glide. Mendy does as well. he stops suddenly and glides to the ground.

Mendy does not look to me to be a play that wants to be on the field. Maybe I am confusing apathy with confusion, but he is not our best RB right now.

Count Steeler
10-05-2011, 05:21 AM
That's suddenness and glide. Mendy does as well. he stops suddenly and glides to the ground.

Mendy does not look to me to be a play that wants to be on the field. Maybe I am confusing apathy with confusion, but he is not our best RB right now.

The stinging sensation of sitting him will wake him up. It work his second year. Why not do it again? This team, in general needs an ass whooping at the hands of Tomlin or Rooney. WAKE UP!!!

Texasteel
10-05-2011, 05:42 AM
The stinging sensation of sitting him will wake him up. It work his second year. Why not do it again? This team, in general needs an ass whooping at the hands of Tomlin or Rooney. WAKE UP!!!

I hope that will be the case. He is still a very good RB, when he runs and we need a running game badly. No I am not forgetting our God awful OL.

Chidi29
10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Plus, Redman has the benefit of coming in with nearly fresh legs against a tired Texans' defense who has been out on the field all day (especially in the 2nd half when their offense started to stall and ours began to gel).

Moose
10-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Redman has my vote for now. Mendy doesn't understand you don't pick up yardage running sideways.

slippy
10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
while i want redman to get more carries and the team to go with the hot hand, i also think mendenhall is being misused. we have a marshall faulk jr. and we never throw him the ball in space. those dump passes can pick up 6 to 36 yards!!!

he is an excellent receiver .... use him! especially if he's going to be in there for the whole game.

sucks that heath is misused also. stupid arians.

salamander
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
while i want redman to get more carries and the team to go with the hot hand, i also think mendenhall is being misused. we have a marshall faulk jr. and we never throw him the ball in space. those dump passes can pick up 6 to 36 yards!!!

he is an excellent receiver .... use him! especially if he's going to be in there for the whole game.

Really... Marshall Faulk Jr.?

And Heath isn't necessarily misused. He's often used as an extra blocker becasue our o-line sucks so bad.

SteelerFanInStl
10-05-2011, 08:44 PM

While I would never call him a Marshall Faulk Jr, Mendy is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield and I've been saying the last few years that we need to get him the ball more that way.