PDA

View Full Version : Was 2008 our best ever defense?

kielbasasteeler
06-29-2010, 06:38 AM
I've looked at stats and such and came across this.

1976 per average play we gave up 3.8 yards.

Now i know i know we only allowed so many points in such a stretch but if one team started out at their own 1 yard line with so much clock time compared to the defense below which is better.

2008 per average play we gave up 3.7 yards.

My arguement to this is that each pass play you usually gain more yards than a rushing play, and in todays game it is a passing league.

for me i think the 2008 defense was better at allowing so many yards, of course ben's pick sixes contributed to points on the board that the defense didn't allow but....

The 1976 defense gave up 14 total touchdowns, the 2008 defense gave up 19.

The 1976 defense gave up 1 touchdown a game, the 2008 defense gave up 1.18.

Theres not a whole lot of difference in the two teams defenses except for the touchdowns and field goals and pick sixes.

The 1976 defense allowed 3.2 yards per carry on the run game, the 2008 steelers defense 3.3

The 1976 defense averaged per pass 5.8 and a quarterback rating of 45.2 and had 22 interceptions. They recorded 44 sacks.

The 2008 defense averaged per pass 5.4 and a quarterback rating of 63.4 and had 20 interceptions and 51 sacks.

The Steelers of 2008 faced 974 plays. The Steelers of 1976 faced 866 plays. That's a huge difference. That's at least 2 to 3 games more snaps of at least 28-30 minutes of defensive plays on the field. then again the 2008 had 2 more games on their schedule.

I think some of my points are valid and some arn't so much to the evolving of the game. But If the 2008 steelers defense played a 1976 season I think ours would just edge out our 1976 defense for the better stats.

For me my favourite defense was the 1974 defense. it's not every day you only allow 219.6 per yards in a season combined with 13.5 points.

Read and Flame :D

LLT
06-29-2010, 07:34 AM
I think that when we look at defensive stats alone...The 1976 Steelers make the argument as to being the best defense of all time. However, when we take into consideration the offensive firepower of the teams that these defenses faced, the '76 team rises to the top.

Here is one of the best analysis that I have seen:

A Statistical Analysis on the Greatest Defenses in NFL History
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/10/775679/a-statistical-analysis-on

Hindes204
06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I think that when we look at defensive stats alone...The 1976 Steelers make the argument as to being the best defense of all time. However, when we take into consideration the offensive firepower of the teams that these defenses faced, the '76 team rises to the top.

Yea, Ive said it before, and Ill continue to say it probably the rest of my life.....76 defense was, and probably will be, the greatest defense in the history of the league

LLT
06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Yea, Ive said it before, and Ill continue to say it probably the rest of my life.....76 defense was, and probably will be, the greatest defense in the history of the league

Absolutely!!!!

Psycho Ward 86
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Simple answer: No.....before and after the Mel Blount rule, the 70's steelers defenses were the greatest

SteelerSal
06-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I would have to call them even with the style of play both eras had.

*Actually in my edit I will pick the '76 team because bradshaw was hurt in 6 games and I'm sure with him playing instead of rookie Mike kruczek, they would of kept our defense off the field.

wootawnee
06-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Not even close.....No one wanted to line up across from Ernie Holmes.......Who we got in 08 like that?
Closest is Harrison....He is a finnese outside go-around guy.......Ernie went straight through anybody.........

Indo
06-29-2010, 11:37 AM

There is no doubt about it. That Defense will never be matched.
(neither will the Dolphins Perfect Season)

kmsteelerwr15
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I am only 20 and clearly never got to watch the teams of the '70s but I would have to go with the '76 team as well. I have watched many videos on them and what they did that year was just ridiculous and probably will never be matched.

SteelerSal
06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I am only 20

No need to rub it in, kid.:grin:

steeldevil
06-29-2010, 01:23 PM
I am only 20 and clearly never got to watch the teams of the '70s but I would have to go with the '76 team as well. I have watched many videos on them and what they did that year was just ridiculous and probably will never be matched.

Im in your boat and agree. 2008 was the best D I have seen in my life but it does not match 76...

BlastFurnace
06-29-2010, 01:50 PM
No way was it our best defense. I'm not even sure it was in the top 5.

ALLD
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Something like six shutouts in 1976 too which is a bigger measure of dominance than rush and pass defense stats.

BlastFurnace
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Something like six shutouts in 1976 too which is a bigger measure of dominance than rush and pass defense stats.

2008's defense wasn't even as good as our 1974, 1975, or 1978 defense either.

Stlrs4Life
06-30-2010, 07:50 AM

What LLT said. No doubt the 76 was a little better.

tube517
06-30-2010, 10:36 AM
The 76 Defense carried the whole team. I don't think the 08 defense could carry the team like the 76 D did. Ben and the offense bailed them out a few times. The 76 team had a running game only. And a rookie QB that managed the game but had ZERO passing TD's. THey knew if they got behind they basically had no chance to come back unless the D got some key turnovers. The 76 team had ALOT of pressure on them and pulled through it.

I loved our 08 Defense but that 76 D was superior.

solardave
06-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Not only were the Steelers of 76' and the 70s era the best defense,they were the most feared ever.EVER!!!

SMR
07-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd have to go with the '76 defense, followed by the '08, seriously.

steelerdude15
07-02-2010, 12:19 AM
I remember after the Steelers won SB 43, SportsCenter (ESPN) had shown stats of the all six Steelers defenses' the years they won the SB. Every SB, the defense would be better than the last stats wise. It's hard to say, all six of those defenses were great.

KyleJDavison
07-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Not even close.....No one wanted to line up across from Ernie Holmes.......Who we got in 08 like that?
Closest is Harrison....He is a finnese outside go-around guy.......Ernie went straight through anybody.........

I hear what you're saying, but the defensive play style was different and is different. The scheme in a 3-4 is for the linemen to eat up blockers for the lbs to make a play. That's the entire reason Haynesworth is acting like a little girl about making the switch. He wants the fame and the glory. Linemen don't get that in a 3-4. I am not arguing that the 08 defense was better, just that your argument is flawed due to the different styles of defense. In a 3-4 Harrison is as dominate and feared as it gets. He makes Woodley on the other side that much better.

I feel as though I can't make an accurate argument because I never saw the 76 defense play. I have seen the highlights and I have seen the stats, but I don;t think I can make an accurate decision without seeing them play. The 08 defense was the best in my lifetime, hands down, but I hate that I missed the glory days of the 70s.

BlastFurnace
07-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I hear what you're saying, but the defensive play style was different and is different. The scheme in a 3-4 is for the linemen to eat up blockers for the lbs to make a play. That's the entire reason Haynesworth is acting like a little girl about making the switch. He wants the fame and the glory. Linemen don't get that in a 3-4. I am not arguing that the 08 defense was better, just that your argument is flawed due to the different styles of defense. In a 3-4 Harrison is as dominate and feared as it gets. He makes Woodley on the other side that much better.

I feel as though I can't make an accurate argument because I never saw the 76 defense play. I have seen the highlights and I have seen the stats, but I don;t think I can make an accurate decision without seeing them play. The 08 defense was the best in my lifetime, hands down, but I hate that I missed the glory days of the 70s.

It was fun to watch. Great...great defense that didn't take crap from anyone. It was a different game back then...and in my opinion, a much better game. I think they had the best starting 11 on defense that the NFL has ever seen. Realistically, Greenwood, Russell, and Shell should also be HOF'rs. Guys like Glen Edwards, Mike Wagner, Dwight White, John Banaszak were all very..very solid as well.

It was a great team.

Indo
07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Some of my favorite quotes about Jack:

“Jack Lambert is a defender of what is right.” — Chuck Noll, after Lambert whipped Cliff Harris to the ground in Super Bowl X for taunting kicker Roy Gerela (a move that completely shifted the momentum of that game)

This one exemplifies the whole attitude of the team. They didn't take shit from anybody. And when they dished it out everybody just let it go because they were Feared.

- “He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I’m thinking, ‘You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant.’ I can’t tell you how badly I wanted out of there.” — John Elway, after Lambert knocked him out of his first game as a pro in 1983

1983, I realize, but it was just as true of Lambert in the '70s. He and those around him Dominated the Game.

BlastFurnace
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Some of my favorite quotes about Jack:

“Jack Lambert is a defender of what is right.” — Chuck Noll, after Lambert whipped Cliff Harris to the ground in Super Bowl X for taunting kicker Roy Gerela (a move that completely shifted the momentum of that game)

This one exemplifies the whole attitude of the team. They didn't take shit from anybody. And when they dished it out everybody just let it go because they were Feared.

- “He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I’m thinking, ‘You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant.’ I can’t tell you how badly I wanted out of there.” — John Elway, after Lambert knocked him out of his first game as a pro in 1983

1983, I realize, but it was just as true of Lambert in the '70s. He and those around him Dominated the Game.

That Lambert moment, when he threw Harris to the ground was the exact moment I became a Steelers fan at the age of 8. Don't know why, but as an 8 year old, I had the mindset that "He beat up Harris".

I loved to watch that guy play.

SMR
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
That Lambert moment, when he threw Harris to the ground was the exact moment I became a Steelers fan at the age of 8. Don't know why, but as an 8 year old, I had the mindset that "He beat up Harris".

I loved to watch that guy play.

Lambert was one bad mofo! Check out my sig, guess who? heh.

Steelerchad
07-03-2010, 07:17 PM
76 no doubt. I think both defenses were great. But I believe teams had a fear of having to go against the Steelers D back in the 70's.
Greene
Greenwood
Holmes
White
Lambert
Ham
Russell
Shell
Blount

These guys were mean and nasty. Physical hitters all of them. These guys gave the Steelers their reputation for being a physical team and it's been carried on through the years. But nothing yet has quite measured up to the original.

Vincent
07-03-2010, 07:48 PM
No way was it our best defense. I'm not even sure it was in the top 5.

I'd rate it in the top 5. Maybe even #3. That defense was perfectly suited to the games it played. LeBeau did magic with the great players he had.

That said, no defense belongs in the same sentence with the 1976 Steelers. They shut teams down at will. 23 points over 9 games with 5 shut outs. Statistics matter to a point. When that team was down to a #3 QB, the defense won games for them. 4 HoFers started. Nuff said.