PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Steelers Activate At OT In Place Of Injured Jonathan Scott?

stillers4me
09-30-2011, 05:36 AM
If the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) are to win their third consecutive game of the season -- as well as the third straight matchup against the Houston Texans (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/houston-texans) -- they'll have to do so with improved play along the offensive line, a solid performance from the secondary, and more consistent ball protection from Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1630/ben-roethlisberger) and the rest of the Steelers' offensive unit.

In the Week 3 win over Indianapolis, the Steelers suffered multiple injuries to offensive linemen, the first real rash of physical setbacks the team has experienced since losing Willie Colon (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1590/willie-colon) for the season in Week 1. Jonathan Scott (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1501/jonathan-scott), who struggled for much of the night containing Dwight Freeney (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2788/dwight-freeney) from his left tackle position, is out with a severely sprained ankle. Rookie Marcus Gilbert (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/130997/marcus-gilbert) is expected to start in his place at LT even though he too is recovering from an injury sustained last Sunday. Gilbert injured his shoulder in the win and was replaced in favor of Trai Essex (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1593/trai-essex) at right tackle. When Scott went down though in the fourth quarter, Gilbert was forced to return to the lineup and was slid over to the left side.To round out the tough night injury-wise, Doug Legursky (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34446/doug-legursky) also went down with a shoulder injury. According to Dale Lolley in my interview with him this morning, Legursky is likely to dress but not play except in the event of an injury..................

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

oneforthetoe
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Gilbert to LT .... should be interesting. Most Steelers fans will love this move - until, of course, he gives up his first sack and becomes a bum.:pop2:

fansince'76
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Gilbert to LT .... should be interesting. Most Steelers fans will love this move - until, of course, he gives up his first sack and becomes a bum.:pop2:

Yep.

YoungMoneyFam
09-30-2011, 02:24 PM

do we have much choice at this point?? Might as well throw him in there, because he HAS to be better than Scott. I have never seen anyone get turned around and literally shoved back into the QB like he did last game

zulater
09-30-2011, 02:25 PM

After what we've seen in Jonathan Scott, I doubt we'll have a hyper critical audience of Steeler fans concerning Gilbert. Any improvement will be welcomed and appreciated.

BlastFurnace
09-30-2011, 02:50 PM
There was a Twitter note yesterday that one of their practice squad guys might get activated....last name of Turner.

Devilsdancefloor
09-30-2011, 02:50 PM
i think Gilbert will do fine

BlastFurnace
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
After what we've seen in Jonathan Scott, I doubt we'll have a hyper critical audience of Steeler fans concerning Gilbert. Any improvement will be welcomed and appreciated.

No way will Gilbert be worse than Scott has been this year.

oneforthetoe
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Oh, there are always hyper critical fans. I watch the first half of the 1 o'clock games at the Club. Usually, after Ben has been sacked for the first time on a look-out block from one of his linemen, there are "fans" calling for Batch. I'm not saying all fans are that way, but we have our share of them.

As for Gilbert, I just want to see him develop. I have my doubts that he is our long-tern answer at LT, but hopefully he will surprise. And, even if down the road he becomes our RT, that fills another spot on the o'line.

Devilsdancefloor
i am intrigued by meredith though 5 teams already what do we see in him? i still wish we had Urbik i am scratching my head a bit on why we cut him last year

Nadroj 20
At this point I'd take a random dude they find in the stands.

Count Steeler
09-30-2011, 03:51 PM
i am intrigued by meredith though 5 teams already what do we see in him? i still wish we had Urbik i am scratching my head a bit on why we cut him last year

Urbik is still injured with the Bills. I would gladly trade Scott for Urbik. Even injured he is an improvement over Scott.

GBMelBlount
09-30-2011, 04:16 PM
At this point I'd take a random dude they find in the stands.

Very cool idea.

They should sell raffle tickets and the winner gets to play offensive line.

O'Malley
09-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Very cool idea.

Or do what the Cowgirls did and have a reality show for the next O-Lineman...:puke:

steelreserve
09-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Anyone will be an improvement over Scott. Just sign the fattest sumo wrestler they can find.

Shoes
09-30-2011, 06:06 PM
This team seems to relish trouble at every front.....I think we'll be ok! :chuckle:

7willBheaven
09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I havent seen anywhere but this article that Gilbert would start at RT...I think Tomlin even said if Scott cant go then Essex will start there. Though I'd rather have Gilbert at LT but i think this article is incorrect.

As far as someone from the PS...I think this would be a waste there isnt anyone on the PS worth anything...that Turner they talk about was more of a turnstile than Scott (during the preseason).

steel striker
09-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Well I'm in favor of any improvement as far as the o-line is concerned.

Count Steeler
09-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Turner sure is a physical specimen, 6' 7" 330lbs. By the depth chart Essex should be the LT after J Scott.

Nadroj 20
09-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Very cool idea.

Alright we can get that started, then when we find a guy, we also get the movie rights (the next Invinsible) and become millionaires.

Score! :chuckle:

ALLD
09-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Maybe we give John Jackson and Tunch Ilkin a call for depth?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Turner sure is a physical specimen, 6' 7" 330lbs. By the depth chart Essex should be the LT after J Scott.

Exactly. Essex will start at LT, then Kemo, Pouncey, Foster and Gilbert at RT. The 2 O linemen that will dress as backkups will be Chris Scott and Jamon Meridith. Legursky and Jon Scott will be inactive. pretty basic stuff.

The Duke
09-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Exactly. Essex will start at LT, then Kemo, Pouncey, Foster and Gilbert at RT. The 2 O linemen that will dress as backkups will be Chris Scott and Jamon Meridith. Legursky and Jon Scott will be inactive. pretty basic stuff.

yikes! 2 backups under the hot texans sun. And one bakcup hhas never even played a preseason game with us!

Not good with our history of injuries and dehydration at the oline

steelerdude15
09-30-2011, 10:20 PM
It's going to be a long game...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2011, 10:23 PM
yikes! 2 backups under the hot texans sun. And one bakcup hhas never even played a preseason game with us!

Not good with our history of injuries and dehydration at the oline
Have some faith. Chris Scott can play RT or OG. Meridith has played under Kugler before and will be familiar with what line blocking he uses, even if he doesnt know the playbook that well.

Only question is ....who is the emergency center?

Chidi29
09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Have some faith. Chris Scott can play RT or OG. Meridith has played under Kugler before and will be familiar with what line blocking he uses, even if he doesnt know the playbook that well.

Ha, that's what I was just about to ask you.

I know Chris Scott got practice reps at center at Tennesse. I think when Meredith was brought onboard, they said he can play every position though he'd be a pretty big center.

I'm sure whoever is supposed to be the backup center will get plenty of reps in practice.

Maybe we dress eight this week, adding Legursky to that mix in case we need him? Know we really don't do it, but we're getting pretty desperate (more than usual).

HollywoodSteel
09-30-2011, 10:30 PM

James Harrison. We know he can long snap... :wink02:

steelerdude15
09-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but apparently the Texans have the 31 rush defense in the league, but have a good pass defense.... Just a thought.

BlastFurnace
10-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but apparently the Texans have the 31 rush defense in the league, but have a good pass defense.... Just a thought.

The Colts were terrible against the run too before they played the Steelers and the Steelers couldn't run on them at all. With this offensive line, I'm not sure it would matter if a High School Junior Varsity team was lining up at D'line. The Steelers O'line has been awful this year.

BlastFurnace
10-01-2011, 06:28 AM

Essex

Count Steeler
10-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Texans move up the list against the run this week. Steelers rarely exploit an opponent's weakness.

Although, I see that the Steelers have addressed the O Line issue and the extra help they brought in should make a big difference on Sunday.

86WARD
10-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Maybe we give John Jackson and Tunch Ilkin a call for depth?

I'd take them both over what we have...

oneforthetoe
10-01-2011, 06:43 PM
do we have much choice at this point?? Might as well throw him in there, because he HAS to be better than Scott. I have never seen anyone get turned around and literally shoved back into the QB like he did last game

Actually, I have ..... it was Essex in, I believe, his rookie season filling in for Smith at LT against the Colts. Freeney did the exact same thing to Essex. IIRC, he got bull rushed right back into Ben.

I am not defending Scott because I actually think Essex or Gilbert are better choices at this point. I just mention it because Freeney has a history of making our "average" LT's look not so much even that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Actually, I have ..... it was Essex in, I believe, his rookie season filling in for Smith at LT against the Colts. Freeney did the exact same thing to Essex. IIRC, he got bull rushed right back into Ben.

I am not defending Scott because I actually think Essex or Gilbert are better choices at this point. I just mention it because Freeney has a history of making our "average" LT's look not so much even that.
Exactly! I watched the first quarter again from last week and Scott actually had his way with Freeney early.

Freeney makes all pro LT look bad. Scott is really a backup LT forced to start because of lack of drafting or signing a better LT the past 3 years or more. I think Essex can be a better pass protector than Scott, but he ate himself off a roster spot 2 months ago, so is he really better?

GBMelBlount
10-01-2011, 10:24 PM
On the bright side...this is by far one of the best offensive line we've had since had last season.

Psycho Ward 86
10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
On the bright side...this is by far one of the best offensive line we've had since had last season.

at this point. that could be considered great sarcasm or great praise or anything in between lol

Craic
10-02-2011, 02:27 AM
BTW, did anyone notice that our center was getting worked last week as well? It was just a bad day for the entire line.

Count Steeler
10-02-2011, 05:24 AM
BTW, did anyone notice that our center was getting worked last week as well? It was just a bad day for the entire line.

Yes, I think we did. A bad game from a good/great player is tolerable. A horrible game from a player that should probably not be on our roster, is not. If Wallace drops a pass, meh. If Sweed drops another one, ...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 08:52 AM
BTW, did anyone notice that our center was getting worked last week as well? It was just a bad day for the entire line. yeah, Pouncey hasn't been that stellar at all so far. Lingering injuries?

oneforthetoe
10-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Pouncy is either not healthy or having a sophomore slump because he is not playing well.

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Pouncy is either not healthy or having a sophomore slump because he is not playing well.

He has crap on both sides of him this season. He may be great, but he ain't Superman and can't do the job of 3 linemen. Cut him some slack.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 05:52 PM
He has crap on both sides of him this season. He may be great, but he ain't Superman and can't do the job of 3 linemen. Cut him some slack.

So if a guy plays bad on the O line, its explained by the guys on either side of him as an excuse??

By that logic, the problems that Jon Scott has had is because David Johnson and Kemo/Foster is playing on either side of him. ????? Let's just be objective and say that Pouncey got pushed around by the Colts and Ravens D lines.

X-Terminator
10-02-2011, 06:09 PM
So if a guy plays bad on the O line, its explained by the guys on either side of him as an excuse??

By that logic, the problems that Jon Scott has had is because David Johnson and Kemo/Foster is playing on either side of him. ????? Let's just be objective and say that Pouncey got pushed around by the Colts and Ravens D lines.

He did. But I'm also acknowledging the fact that he hasn't had much help from the guys playing next to him. He cannot carry the entire line by himself.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 08:51 PM
He did. But I'm also acknowledging the fact that he hasn't had much help from the guys playing next to him. He cannot carry the entire line by himself.

All Pouncey has to do is beat the guy in front of him. Preacher was pointing out that he hasnt exactly done that on a consistent basis, which I agree with.

If he needs help from the guy next to him consistently, then that is a problem. Kemo, Foster, Legursky too have to be able to handle the guy in front of them and no, they have not either. Sadly, Foster may be the most consistent performer of those 3 guys so far.