PDA

View Full Version : PPG columnist Collier: Redman may be the answer.

zulater
09-29-2011, 04:30 AM
The average gain by the Steelers running game at Indianapolis was shorter than your couch -- about 77 inches -- so it's time for some changes to the components, obviously, and not just the changes mandated every week by their highly breakable offensive line.

Mike Tomlin and his staff will work on that puzzle for another 72 hours while they pack for Texas, but as of midweek, starting left tackle Jonathan Scott still had a substantial wrap on his injured ankle, which is only the beginning of the problem.

You can blame almost anyone for the well-earned position as the 23rd-best ground game in a 32-team league, but at some point you'd have to address the enigma of why Isaac Redman can't get on the field when Rashard Mendenhall's production is down by about 55 percent from last September.

"Last week I was taken out of the third-down offense completely," Redman told me Wednesday. "This week I'm back in certain situations."

Those situations, of course, have a way of never materializing, and they extend to first and second down as well, even though Redman makes a significant contribution just about every time he gets the chance. You'd think his dagger of a 20-yard touchdown against Seattle the week before might have earned him at least a full offensive shift Sunday night, but then you'd have thought winning the Baltimore game in December with a 9-yard reception in the final minutes might have at least swollen the pressure on the starter as this season began.

"I do feel like right now I'm at my peak," Redman said. "I'm trying to bring a sense of urgency to every opportunity I get."

On less than a third of the carries, some of them in situations where a yard or 2 is considered successful, Redman's averaged 4.2 yards to the 3.0 generated by Mendenhall, that figure being frightfully similar to Ben Roethlisberger's 2.9.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11272/1178369-150-0.stm#ixzz1ZKesbwKN

Count Steeler
09-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Some decisions being made by this coaching staff are starting to boggle my mind. What has Redman done to be benched and Mendenhall done to deserve more playing time.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 05:30 AM
OK, so what happens if we start Redman.................and the results are the same.

Or worse?

Borski
09-29-2011, 05:42 AM
I say its worth a shot. at least let him have 30-40% of the carries

zulater
09-29-2011, 07:34 AM
I say its worth a shot. at least let him have 30-40% of the carries

In fact that's exactly what the formula was against Seattle, Mendenhall had 19 carries as opposed to Redmans' 10. Why they went away from what worked is baffling to me? :noidea:

zulater
09-29-2011, 07:35 AM
OK, so what happens if we start Redman.................and the results are the same.

Or worse?

It would take some doing to be worse wouldn't it?

86WARD
09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Probably not the answer.

zulater
09-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Probably not the answer.

Redman might not be the answer, but temporarily benching Mendy might send a clear message and get him to run with more determination.

tube517
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
In fact that's exactly what the formula was against Seattle, Mendenhall had 19 carries as opposed to Redmans' 10. Why they went away from what worked is baffling to me? :noidea:

Agreed. I've been a big proponent of splitting carries exactly like that. It's been my main problem with BA

That and everything is all his fault. :chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I think redman has earned at least 10 touches a game if not more. if he does the same them so be it, but at least we can say we tried to shake things up

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
I think redman has earned at least 10 touches a game if not more. if he does the same them so be it, but at least we can say we tried to shake things up

I agree. Redman has EARNED at least 10 touches a game. Don't take those away from him.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm just not sure how trading one guy who ran for 2 yards a carry against the Colts for another guy who ran for 2 yards a carry against the same defense is really the answer to anything.

fansince'76
09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm just not sure how trading one guy who ran for 2 yards a carry against the Colts for another guy who ran for 2 yards a carry against the same defense is really the answer to anything.

Suddenness and glide! :chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM

One thinks it is a audition for dancing with the stars the other puts his shoulder down and leans forward for that extra whatever.

Steeldude
09-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Or worse?

it can't be much worse. if the results are the same then no loss. i don't see anything wrong with utilizing/starting different players to see if it kick starts the offense. they can easily pull redman if they feel he is ineffective.

IMO, scott should be benched. i would rather see essex. i would also like to see foster in place of legursky.

Steeldude
09-29-2011, 11:08 AM
One thinks it is a audition for dancing with the stars the other puts his shoulder down and leans forward for that extra whatever.

^ this

suitanim
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
There are plenty of backs who are patient and wait for holes to open. In fact, "High School Harry" is a common term of denigration for college backs who either A) Bounce everything outside or B) Slice right into the assigned hole, regardless of an opening. Sorry, but Redman does a lot of B. A LOT of B. I know Mendy still does some of A, but he's gotten a lot better.

I think it comes down to this. There aren't holes at the beginning of the play, and there aren't holes opening as the play develops. So I don't really think it matters which one of these dudes we toss into the mix, neither one of them can gain many yards when .3 seconds after the ball is snapped there are already 2 defenders in the backfield.

SteelMember
09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't know if playing Redman more is the answer, but why, if Redman is the short yardage back, do we take him out in goal line situations?

If it's just because Mendy is the #1, and somehow "deserves" to get the TD's... that's crap FF shit.

zulater
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM

A few things worth pointing out. Redman didn't lose yardage on any of his 3 carries. Redman also converted a critical 3rd ad 1 on one of those carries. The third and one that allowed the Steelers to virtually run out the clock as a matter of fact. Also not getting two carries on any one series really doesn't give a runningback a fair chance to find a rythm.

Again all I'm suggesting is that the Steelers should have followed the same formula (65-35 split) that they used successfully the week before.

zulater
09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't know if playing Redman more is the answer, but why, if Redman is the short yardage back, do we take him out in goal line situations?

If it's just because Mendy is the #1, and somehow "deserves" to get the TD's... that's crap FF shit.

Dan Rooney informed Tomlin that Obama has Mendenhall on his fantasy team.

zulater
09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I wish someone would post a youtube of Mewelde Moore's 5 yard run against the Colts. There was no hole, he made the play with his vision and burst.

Count Steeler
09-29-2011, 05:34 PM
All about attitude. Redman doesn't back down and plays gritty. Mendenhall can be great, but he can also be very ugly. I think sitting Mendy for a game will do him a lot of good, long term.