PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Rips Steelers play calling...

shutdown
09-28-2011, 03:35 PM
dlolleyor (http://twitter.com/#!/dlolleyor) Dale Lolley - Mendenhall rips Steelers play calling. Read more in Thursday's Observer-Reporter.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/09-29-2011-Steelers-Mendenhall-frustrated

JayC
09-28-2011, 03:44 PM
cant say i disagree with him. i hope BA retires this year but it's hard to smack talk since he 1 ring and 2 superbowl appearances doing what he does

fansince'76
09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Mendenhall needs to start running over people and stop dancing.

suitanim
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Didn't mendy also say that the US was responsible for 9/11? When Ben, or some other player with an IQ over 65 chimes in ill pay attention, but Mendenhall is a moron.

zulater
09-28-2011, 04:25 PM
True or not he needs to shut up and play better. Watch Mewelde Moore make something out of nothing on his sweep left Rashard. There was more to be had than what you were getting.

polamalubeast
09-28-2011, 04:33 PM
It was the worst game of his career, stop panic!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
cant say i disagree with him. i hope BA retires this year but it's hard to smack talk since he 1 ring and 2 superbowl appearances doing what he does
True dat.

GodfatherofSoul
09-28-2011, 05:40 PM
In other news Debo rips Mendy for spewing the ball all over the field. What's that Biblical quote about a splinter in someone else's eye?

Psycho Ward 86
09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Didn't mendy also say that the US was responsible for 9/11?

are we seriously still playing this card? Get your facts right, all Mendenhall said is that he doesnt think it's right to celebrate death [bin laden]. Hardly controversial, except we all live in an overly-patriotic country. apparently nobody respected his opinion which sucks for him.

Anywho...i cant find the article where he's ripping the play call. little help here?

X-Terminator
09-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Mendy, if you're going to rip the play calling, you might want to be holding up your end of the bargain. I saw lanes for you to run through Sunday night, precious few that there were, only to think you're blind or feel like I'm watching an episode of Dancing With The Stars.

Do the words "shut up and play" mean anything to you? If they don't, have a talk with James Harrison about it. Make sure you wear body armor when you do.

salamander
09-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Anywho...i cant find the article where he's ripping the play call. little help here?

I can't seem to find it either. :noidea:

X-Terminator
09-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Today isn't Thursday...

Count Steeler
09-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Time to sit Mendy for 1 game. Dress Dwyer and start Redman. I suppose we could do worse, but why not try something to shake up the running game.

ALLD
09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I bet we could trade him for two decent OL.

Count Steeler
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM

I'd take 1.

O'Malley
09-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Same thing I was thinking.. With Dwyer, Redman, Moore... Do we really need a tap dancer in the back field.. Since were so close to the cap why not test the waters and see what we can get for him... I don't care what level your playing at you don't bad mouth the coaches!

Craic
09-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow, two years ago he was the savior and Willie P. sucked. Last year, he was a great up and coming back, this year, he's a has-been after 3 games.

Anyone notice that the similarity between Willie P. and Mendenhall has a whole lot to do with the similarity between our O line in 08 and in 11?

SteelerEmpire
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't blame him. I thought the fans were the only ones that griped about BA.

BigNastyDefense
09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
BA isn't as bad of an OC as people think he is.

And Mendy might find himself on the bench Sunday afternoon. I don't think Tomlin is going to take well to Mendenhall ripping the Arians publicly. Tomlin is more of a keep the dirty laundry in house and if you have a problem with something bring it up to the coach(es) like a man, face-to-face.

Maybe if Mendenhall would lower his fucking shoulder and blast through the hole that's there and run over a defensive player in the process to make the hole bigger, he wouldn't be so pissed off. Stop dancing in the backfield and take what the craptastic offensive line gives you, and then make it work. He's a damn good back, but it seems this offseason his head got unscrewed.

Moose
09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Time to sit Mendy for 1 game. Dress Dwyer and start Redman. I suppose we could do worse, but why not try something to shake up the running game.
I do like this idea. I don't think I'd go as far ( right now anyway) to say 'get rid of him', but I do like Redman and Moore and sitting Mendy for a game and play these other guys to see what they can do, may be what the doctor ordered. Letting him know he's replaceable, plus giving these other players a shot at starting, could be a wake-up call for some and a break -out for others. Good idea and worth a try....what can it hurt ?! It's not like we are mounting up running yards.

Godfather
09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Willie broke his leg and never recovered. Big difference between a speed back trying to come back from that kind of injury and the current situation.

Ratard Spinandfall needs to ask himself why MeMo managed to run behind that line. It might have been limited action, but the Colts knew it was coming and couldn't stop it.

steel striker
09-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah he needs to shut up and, get positive yards when possible. I'm not a big fan of BA but, he is all we have for now.

Devilsdancefloor
09-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow, two years ago he was the savior and Willie P. sucked. Last year, he was a great up and coming back, this year, he's a has-been after 3 games.

Anyone notice that the similarity between Willie P. and Mendenhall has a whole lot to do with the similarity between our O line in 08 and in 11?

to be honest 2 years ago he seemed to run with a purpose thus far i do not see it. :noidea:im not ready to throw him under the bus im just hoping he is using the first few games as warm up preseason type of games getting in game shape?

Shoes
09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Mendy is a child in a mans body......further proof that these guys should start playing at minimum wage.

NCSteeler
09-29-2011, 12:54 AM
are we seriously still playing this card? Get your facts right, all Mendenhall said is that he doesnt think it's right to celebrate death [bin laden]. Hardly controversial, except we all live in an overly-patriotic country. apparently nobody respected his opinion which sucks for him.

Sure, strangely enough he deleted the tweet about his doubts on whether a plane could actually make the building fall, which is the crux of the 911 truthers rgument. He's entitled to his opinion no matter how uninformed it might be, just so long as he plays good football. I personally think the guys still trying to find his groove after little off season practice, as is the entire offense.

Borski
09-29-2011, 05:16 AM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/09-29-2011-Steelers-Mendenhall-frustrated

suitanim
09-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Yes, I'm playing THAT card: The IGNORANCE card.

By the way, get YOUR facts straight.

Here are Mendy's idiotic tweets. And there are more than just the one:
First he agreed with A. Peterson that the players are "All slaves to the NFL"
Then he stated that (in re OBL) "We've only heard one side"
Another said, “I’m not convinced he was even behind the attacks. We have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the government telling us.”
Finally: “We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take down a skyscraper demolition style.”

This guy can run with a football, but otherwise he's an idiot. I'm going to categorize his criticism of Arians in the same category of credibility as Holocaust denial, Area 51, Bigfoot and 9/11 doubters.

Borski
09-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Yes, I'm playing THAT card: The IGNORANCE card.

By the way, get YOUR facts straight.

Here are Mendy's idiotic tweets. And there are more than just the one:
First he agreed with A. Peterson that the players are "All slaves to the NFL"
Then he stated that (in re OBL) "We've only heard one side"
Another said, “I’m not convinced he was even behind the attacks. We have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the government telling us.”
Finally: “We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take down a skyscraper demolition style.”

This guy can run with a football, but otherwise he's an idiot. I'm going to categorize his criticism of Arians in the same category of credibility as Holocaust denial, Area 51, Bigfoot and 9/11 doubters.

This.

I have no problem with someone not wanting to celebrate the death of another. its all the other tweets I have a problem with.

X-Terminator
09-29-2011, 06:09 AM
OK, after reading the article, I'll have to cut Mendy a LITTLE bit of slack and ask why the game plan was changed before the game. This was brought up on the radio after the game, BTW, so he's not the first one to ask this question. A power running game is exactly what you do against an undersized defense...why not go with it? To me, it makes no sense.

HometownGal
09-29-2011, 06:19 AM
OK, after reading the article, I'll have to cut Mendy a LITTLE bit of slack and ask why the game plan was changed before the game. This was brought up on the radio after the game, BTW, so he's not the first one to ask this question. A power running game is exactly what you do against an undersized defense...why not go with it? To me, it makes no sense.

Sorry, but I cut Mendy NO slack here. As a player, you don't throw your coaches under the bus under any circumstances. Mendy should take a look at his own play (stutter stepping) before pointing that finger at anyone else.

X-Terminator
09-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Sorry, but I cut Mendy NO slack here. As a player, you don't throw your coaches under the bus under any circumstances. Mendy should take a look at his own play (stutter stepping) before pointing that finger at anyone else.

You're right. I'm just asking why the game plan was changed. I mean, if they worked on it all week long, why wouldn't they stick with it?

Bluecoat96
09-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Ahhh....the media spin. Were Mendy's comments just a small part of a larger interview? I could be dead wrong, and that's ok, but until I watch him for myself in an interview, and he actually looks pissed and rips the coaches, will I believe he is totally throwing BA under the bus.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-29-2011, 07:52 AM
I agree with you on this. So the team executes the game plan, but it's one that plays into the other teams strengths. Then the o line and RB gets blamed for lack of running game.

Steelers got out coached again, but got the win luckily.

zulater
09-29-2011, 07:59 AM
I agree with you on this. So the team executes the game plan, but it's one that plays into the other teams strengths. Then the o line and RB gets blamed for lack of running game.

Steelers got out coached again, but got the win luckily.

I'd have said the same thing, but I didn't want to invoke the ridicule and scorn of a certain coaches fan base. :wink02:

86WARD
09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
You can't work on a game plan all week and then change it and expect to win. This could be part of the reason the OLine was so bad and confused out there.

I can't fault Mendenhall at all questioning the coaches on that. Should he do it publicly? No. But he has the right to ask questions to the coaches.

tube517
09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Mendy is going down the same path as FWP. Speak out, get worn out by the coaches, bye bye after a few years.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
The gameplan was changed because, unlike against the Browns, the Colts came out with 8-9 in the box and dared the Steelers to beat them with the pass, NOT the run.

And that's exactly what we did. The offense moved the ball very effectively early int he game, taking what the Colts gave us. When we started running the ball more later in the game, things started collapsing. Again, Ben passed for 364 yards. He was 25/37. The passing game worked!

When we got the ball back with 2:09 and needed to kick a FG to win, we did so by
Play 1: Pass
Play 2: Pass
Play 3: Pass
Play 4: Rush (QB scramble for 11)

Thenwe were on their 30 and ran some rush plays to get a little better position for a FG.

When does the second guessing of every decision by Arians end?

Devilsdancefloor
09-29-2011, 10:28 AM
The gameplan was changed because, unlike against the Browns, the Colts came out with 8-9 in the box and dared the Steelers to beat them with the pass, NOT the run.

And that's exactly what we did. The offense moved the ball very effectively early int he game, taking what the Colts gave us. When we started running the ball more later in the game, things started collapsing. Again, Ben passed for 364 yards. He was 25/37. The passing game worked!

When we got the ball back with 2:09 and needed to kick a FG to win, we did so by
Play 1: Pass
Play 2: Pass
Play 3: Pass
Play 4: Rush (QB scramble for 11)

Thenwe were on their 30 and ran some rush plays to get a little better position for a FG.

When does the second guessing of every decision by Arians end?

On a night where he could go 5 wide all night long and the colts couldnt stop it he doesnt? :noidea: im not going to second guess the decisions it is what it is.

fansince'76
09-29-2011, 10:28 AM
When all else fails....

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/blame-arians.jpg

:chuckle:

suitanim
09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
When all else fails....

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/blame-arians.jpg

Actually, it's interesting. The national media doesn't ever actually resort to this. It's only the local media. Now what I can't figure is if this is chicken or egg. Did the media create this and fans jumped on board (and I do NOT mean Arians-bashing...every OC we've had since I learned to read has been bashed), or did the fans start bellyaching and the media simply started pandering to them?

BigNastyDefense
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
First, how is changing the game plan at the very start of the game any different then changing it at halftime? Game plans change depending on what the other team is doing. The Colts were putting 8 or 9 guys in the box because they figured the plan was to run the ball.

So we passed the ball, and we passed it well, other than two sack-fumbles (one being the fault of Ben and the O-Line, the other being the fault of Jonathon Scott failing to even touch Freeney), and an interception (where it's been said the receiver might have ran the wrong route).

I think part of the reason we started running the ball was to eat clock and force the defense to respect the fact that the Steelers will at least try to run the ball so pass rushers can't just pin their ears back and attack Big Ben.

But then again, according to most fans, the only play calls that work are the ones Ben Roethlisberger call and the only plays calls that fail Bruce Arians must have called.....I mean it makes perfect sense.

Another thing that pisses me off is people discredit BA because he was once the OC of the Cleveland Browns....but the only season the Browns made the playoffs was when he was the OC. Being a coach for the Browns doesn't automatically make you a bad coach. You take a job where you can get one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
the other being the fault of Jonathon Scott failing to even touch Freeney), .

Scott is the scapegoat on that one.

Watch the play again and you will see that both Kemoeatu and Miller go downfield and Mendenhall slides out to the left like its a screen pass left. But Ben is looking out to the right like its supposed to be a sideline out. It looks like Scott is passing Freeney off like its a screen.

I think that half the offense was running a screen pass and the other was running another play. But, Jon Scott is the whipping boy of the masses right now.

zulater
09-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Scott is the scapegoat on that one.

Watch the play again and you will see that both Kemoeatu and Miller go downfield and Mendenhall slides out to the left like its a screen pass left. But Ben is looking out to the right like its supposed to be a sideline out. It looks like Scott is passing Freeney off like its a screen.

I think that half the offense was running a screen pass and the other was running another play. But, Jon Scott is the whipping boy of the masses right now.

Deservedly so. Even if for the sake of argument we concede he wasn't to blame on that play, there were plenty where he without question was. that and he commits more penalties than any other lineman in the league.

shutdown
09-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Arians confirmed today it was a run play that Ben audibles out of but not everyone picked up on it.

HollywoodSteel
09-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Arians confirmed today it was a run play that Ben audibles out of but not everyone picked up on it.

A run play where Scott wasn't supposed to touch Freeney? Seems a little odd.

BigNastyDefense
09-29-2011, 09:41 PM

So in the end, it does fall on Scott for not picking up on the audible. And if it was a run play, I am pretty sure he was supposed to block Freeney, as is the job of the left tackle.

And wait....Ben called a play and it didn't work! I thought the only time a play didn't work is if BA called the play!

I am so sick of fans that think they know the fucking playbook and come here with the "it looked like...." and it's the same with members of the media. None of you have a fucking playbook so stop acting like you know what the play called was, because you obviously don't if it was originally a run play and then there was an audible to something that also wasn't a screen.

Chidi29
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM

There isn't an actual check for it though. The line still thinks it is run, only Ben and his receivers know it is pass.

Either way, it's on Ben. I know he didn't stand around in the pocket forever, but it's a real risk trying to pass knowing that Freeney is going to come in virtually free. Ball better come out right away and it didn't.

BigNastyDefense
09-29-2011, 09:49 PM
There isn't an actual check for it though. The line still thinks it is run, only Ben and his receivers know it is pass.

Either way, it's on Ben. I know he didn't stand around in the pocket forever, but it's a real risk trying to pass knowing that Freeney is going to come in virtually free. Ball better come out right away and it didn't.

Freeney got to him in less than 1.5 seconds! Jesus FUCKING Christ! What the fuck do some of you people want Ben to do? A QB normally needs on average three seconds to drop back, find a receiver, and fire off a pass. Ben didn't even get HALF of that. His arm was cocked back to throw when he got hit. It's not like he was standing back there looking around.

Chidi29
09-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Freeney got to him in less than 1.5 seconds! Jesus FUCKING Christ! What the fuck do some of you people want Ben to do? A QB normally needs on average three seconds to drop back, find a receiver, and fire off a pass. Ben didn't even get HALF of that. His arm was cocked back to throw when he got hit. It's not like he was standing back there looking around.

And Ben knows that. If you're going to pass in that situation, and I probably wouldn't have even attempted it, it'a three step without a hitch. Get the ball out immediately. That's the bottom line.

zulater
09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
And Ben knows that. If you're going to pass in that situation, and I probably wouldn't have even attempted it, it'a three step without a hitch. Get the ball out immediately. That's the bottom line.

For someone who supposedly knew something Ben sure didn't look as if he expected to be hit that damn soon.

steelpride12
09-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Have to go both ways here. Sure changing the game plan before the game was an uncalled for idea by the coaching staff, but at the same time Mendy's awful 37 yards are not ALL on the OL. I saw plenty of room out there for him and unless he is getting 100+ yards a game and playing to his max you really can't complain. He has been in trouble for his mouth before, keep it shut and play.

SteelerEmpire
09-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Even AP and CJ has a bad game here and there...

Chidi29
09-30-2011, 12:02 AM
For someone who supposedly knew something Ben sure didn't look as if he expected to be hit that damn soon.

He should have. He knows the OT responsibility on the run and knows he's making changes without the OL knowing. With Freeney on your blindside, ball better come out hot.

zulater
09-30-2011, 04:45 AM
He should have. He knows the OT responsibility on the run and knows he's making changes without the OL knowing. With Freeney on your blindside, ball better come out hot.

If we're talking about the same play, Ben didn't exactly linger in the pocket, he more or less was cocking his arm for delivery upon completion of his drop, thus the reason the ball came out on contact. So I really doubt that he'd have audible'd to a play, (on what a 5 step drop?) that had Freeney completely unaccounted for.

Maybe the crowd noise had amped up after the previous turnover, and that accounted for the mis- communication along the line?

zulater
09-30-2011, 05:06 AM
>> Running back Rashard Mendenhall isn't lobbying for a fullback or H-back, but he said an extra blocker would help the Steelers' paltry run game.

"It helps to have a fullback or H-back because they read and see things the way I do," Mendenhall said.

Read more: Steelers' Brown has confidence vs. Texans - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_759479.html#ixzz1ZQeZeTpH

BnG_Hevn
09-30-2011, 06:40 AM

"We've got to play to our guys' strengths. We've got some big guys who can move you out of the way. That's a small, slanting-style of defense, so you try to run outside on the edge against them? We played to their strength and our weakness. That's a hard thing to do."

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2011, 08:39 AM
A run play where Scott wasn't supposed to touch Freeney? Seems a little odd.
Below is what Arians said happened.
What happened on the audible on the Dwight Freeney strip-sack last week?

“It’s not an audible that we call, it’s a thing that we do in the running game that Ben has the ability with the receivers... everybody else is running the running play. It’s not just that one play, we’ve had probably 200-yards of passing that were running plays called. If you look, everybody’s blocking a run and we’ll throw the ball to a wide receiver because of different reasons defensively. That was one that misfired. [The danger of a lineman downfield] is why it’s got to come out fast. You’ll get called for it.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
>> Running back Rashard Mendenhall isn't lobbying for a fullback or H-back, but he said an extra blocker would help the Steelers' paltry run game.

"It helps to have a fullback or H-back because they read and see things the way I do," Mendenhall said.

Read more: Steelers' Brown has confidence vs. Texans - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_759479.html#ixzz1ZQeZeTpH

What do these RB's know?? They keep asking for a FB, but don't understand that "this aint Cowherball any more".

BlacknGoldBabe
09-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Willie broke his leg and never recovered. Big difference between a speed back trying to come back from that kind of injury and the current situation.

Ratard Spinandfall needs to ask himself why MeMo managed to run behind that line. It might have been limited action, but the Colts knew it was coming and couldn't stop it.

Ratard....lmfao!

suitanim
09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
What difference will a FB make? Mendy already gets blamed for "dancing" while he waits for holes to open behind his OL.

I don't understand this insistence on reverting back to the old days of the NFL. Do you guys want us to go back to the old T formation and run the ball 60 plays a game? The old formula of playing good defense, running the ball, and winning 12-7?

Those days are over. It may work in high school and even some college ball, but not the pros. You try that shit now and you'll finish 3-13 and LOSE most of your games 34-12.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
What difference will a FB make? Mendy already gets blamed for "dancing" while he waits for holes to open behind his OL.

I think he wants a lead blocker to follow, who can read the hole and Mendenhall in turn can read his block.

Strange how the top 5 RB's in yardage so far ( Darren McFadden, LeSean McCoy, Fred Jackson, MJ Drew, Ben Tate) are on teams that employ a FB.

suitanim
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I think he wants a lead blocker to follow, who can read the hole and Mendenhall in turn can read his block.

Strange how the top 5 RB's in yardage so far ( Darren McFadden, LeSean McCoy, Fred Jackson, MJ Drew, Ben Tate) are on teams that employ a FB.

The top scoring offenses year-in, year-out are passing offenses. The top scoring teams this year are the Bills, Pats, Saints, Lions and Packers. They all have pass/run ratios of about 4/2.5. This is a PASSING league. The days of the Power I and 45 running plays are over. We'll also check back on the teams with the leading rushers at the end of the season and see A) What their records are and B) How many, if any, made the playoffs.

Ultimately, all this constant, incessant and annoying whining from Monday morning QB's is pretty meaningless, but it does fire up to a little hotter level after a bad loss or an ugly win. If the Steelers wanted a FB to lead block for Mendy, they'd employ an OC who believed in having a FB on the field all the time. They do not. In the meantime, this is just complaining and excuse-making by a running back who's production is off.

zulater
09-30-2011, 11:53 AM
The top scoring offenses year-in, year-out are passing offenses. The top scoring teams this year are the Bills, Pats, Saints, Lions and Packers. They all have pass/run ratios of about 4/2.5. This is a PASSING league. The days of the Power I and 45 running plays are over. We'll also check back on the teams with the leading rushers at the end of the season and see A) What their records are and B) How many, if any, made the playoffs.

Ultimately, all this constant, incessant and annoying whining from Monday morning QB's is pretty meaningless, but it does fire up to a little hotter level after a bad loss or an ugly win. If the Steelers wanted a FB to lead block for Mendy, they'd employ an OC who believed in having a FB on the field all the time. They do not. In the meantime, this is just complaining and excuse-making by a running back who's production is off.

Being as the Steelers are never one of the top ten scoring offenses, how exactly is this applicable to your argument?

suitanim
09-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Being as the Steelers are never one of the top ten scoring offenses, how exactly is this applicable to your argument?

The top scoring offenses are passing offenses.
The Steelers are NOT a top scoring offense.
Therefore, the Steelers must.................run the ball more.

Wait....huh?

Scoring is up. Passing is up. The league rules are more favorable to passing teams. I really don't think we are going to score more, or be more competitive with teams that score more, by running the ball more or being more focused on running the ball. I'm not saying to abandon it. Far from it. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if the stats were reversed, and we ran for 365 yards and passing was way off, we'd simply be hearing what a bum Arians is for not passing the ball enough.

You have to be able to pass in a passing league. 300 yards passing in a game used to be sort of rare. Now there's 8-10 guys doing it every week. Change is hard, and people hate it, but change wins football games now.

Iron Steeler
09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Mendenhall needs to start ru
nning over people and stop dancing.
agree 100% put in redman

zulater
09-30-2011, 02:19 PM
The top scoring offenses are passing offenses.
The Steelers are NOT a top scoring offense.
Therefore, the Steelers must.................run the ball more.

Wait....huh?

Scoring is up. Passing is up. The league rules are more favorable to passing teams. I really don't think we are going to score more, or be more competitive with teams that score more, by running the ball more or being more focused on running the ball. I'm not saying to abandon it. Far from it. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if the stats were reversed, and we ran for 365 yards and passing was way off, we'd simply be hearing what a bum Arians is for not passing the ball enough.

You have to be able to pass in a passing league. 300 yards passing in a game used to be sort of rare. Now there's 8-10 guys doing it every week. Change is hard, and people hate it, but change wins football games now.

At the moment, the Steelers aren't particularly efficient passing or running the ball.

Nadroj 20
09-30-2011, 02:36 PM

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/05/rashard-mendenhall-historian-a.html

When someone says he has a tough time believing a plane could bring a building down like it did that sure is implying SOMETHING.

It was more then just the celebrating death tweet...

ALLD
09-30-2011, 04:08 PM
At the moment, the Steelers aren't particularly efficient passing or running the ball.

But we make up for it with turnovers.

suitanim
09-30-2011, 04:17 PM

You aren't serious are you? Even WITH all the issues, Ben is averaging 64% completions, and he's passed for an average of 314 a game.

O'Malley
09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
You aren't serious are you? Even WITH all the issues, Ben is averaging 64% completions, and he's passed for an average of 314 a game.

Tha's terrible he should be passing for 400 yards a game!!!:sarcasm:

zulater
09-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Yes I'm serious, and stop calling me Shirley. Oh yeah , you didn't actually call me Shirley. :chuckle:

I wouldn't say we're passing the ball efficiently, because there's too many sacks, penalties, and turnovers being committed , and not enough touchdowns being produced.

zulater
09-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Tha's terrible he should be passing for 400 yards a game!!!:sarcasm:

Ben's great, you'll get no argument from me on that. With an average quarterback the Steelers offense would putrid. The Steelers do have an elite group of receivers, but with our offensive line and inconsistent running game, anything short of an A+ qb and this offense would truly suck.

Psycho Ward 86
09-30-2011, 06:40 PM

and he's turned the ball over 8 times in 3 games...hooray for passing because you have no choice!

Count Steeler
09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
We overlooked 2 tough opponents on this schedule so far. We didn't expect the Ravens to be anything but the Ravens. They changed their total game plan and we didn't adjust. The Colts were out to stop the run and then let their ends loose on our tackles. We didn't adjust in the second half and we nearly lost the game. Leaving Scott out there 1 on 1 with Freeney was idiotic. On 1 play in the second half, they kept Mendenhall in to block. He lined up to the right of Ben and he never scanned to the left to see if anyone needed help. That ended up being a sack because Freeney was left 1 on 1 with Scott again. Poor execution? Poor adjustment? Damn frustrating!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2011, 07:18 PM

I missed the part where Mendenhall was suggesting that a Power I and 45 running plays per game should be part of the offense.

It sounds like he just wants a lead blocker like the other top rushing attacks in the NFL seem to have.

Shoes
09-30-2011, 07:52 PM
We overlooked 2 tough opponents on this schedule so far. We didn't expect the Ravens to be anything but the Ravens. They changed their total game plan and we didn't adjust. The Colts were out to stop the run and then let their ends loose on our tackles. We didn't adjust in the second half and we nearly lost the game. Leaving Scott out there 1 on 1 with Freeney was idiotic. On 1 play in the second half, they kept Mendenhall in to block. He lined up to the right of Ben and he never scanned to the left to see if anyone needed help. That ended up being a sack because Freeney was left 1 on 1 with Scott again. Poor execution? Poor adjustment? Damn frustrating!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” ~ Albert Einstein

st33lersguy
09-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Airhead Arians mayy be a complete dunderhead but he isn't the one dancing in the backfield

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Texans rushed 35 times for 180 yds, they passed 21 times for 138 yds.

I guess the NFL has changed to a passing league and running the football will not win games in the NFL.

suitanim
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Texans rushed 35 times for 180 yds, they passed 21 times for 138 yds.

I guess the NFL has changed to a passing league and running the football will not win games in the NFL.

Yeah. That's great. are 512 regular season games, so let's take ONE and extrapolate that out to speak for the state of the whole league.

Christ...

The Texans took what we gave them. If you're averaging over 5 yards a carry, why would you even bother passing?

What kind of "Flat-Earther" logic are you employing now? Are you denying that it's a passing league?b How about some facts? Last year, in the regular season, ALL NFL teams passed a total of 17,269 times.

They ran only 13,920 times.

Passed more than ran 3,349 times.

How about in the playoffs? The most successful teams?

738 passes, 588 running plays.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........what mental gymnastics does one need to employ to somehow convince themselves that this ISN'T a passing league????

Austin87
10-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Relax...go do it...