PDA

View Full Version : STUDS and DUDS for Week 3

shutdown
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
STUDS:

1.) Troy Polamalu - Polamalu was amazing this game. Excelled in pass coverage even breaking up what would have been a sure touchdown. Read both Collins and Painter like a book the entire game, and even registered 4 QB disruptions with his excellent timing of the snap count.

2.) James Harrison - Hard not to make him the top stud of the week with this stat line: 7 Stop's, 3 QB pressures, 1 QB sack, 1 FFum, 6 tackles. Harrison is getting better and better each week. For those worried about his back, I think he'll be jusssst fine.

3.) Ike Taylor - Another Stellar performance by Ike in this game. PFF has him pitching a shutout but I could have sworn he gave up a completion? Either way he was still dynamite this game and for the season has a completion % of 7.1%. That is unheard of!

Honorable Mention: Mike Wallace - That's three great games for Mike Wallace who is proving he is no 1 trick pony. The pure speed this guy has was on spotlight Sunday night as he blew past both his cover guy and the saftey. There was no catching him on that route.

DUDS:

1.) Johnathan Scott - Scott achieves a turkey for making king dud three weeks in a row. I wanted to cut the guy some slack and blame the game plan for leaving this guy alone against a future hall of famer, but he did nothing right this game. He sucked equally in the running game getting beat badly on some plays and struggling to get to the second level. At one point the only person he was blocking was Mendenhall who was trying to get to the outside. Scott added 5 more QB disruptions allowed to his vastly growing total.

2.) William Gay - Finally something for Gay haters to chirp about. Gay was targeted 7 times and gave up 6 receptions, for almost 50% of Indy's total passing yards allowing Collins and Painter put up a 106.5 QB Rating when throwing in his direction.

3.) Aaron Smith - With three abysmal performances in a row, it hurts to say Aaron Smith is not looking good this season. This week again he ranked the worst in the front seven defending the run and pass, getting pushed around out there. I for one still don't believe it and am hoping (maybe praying) he turns it around. Smith is easily one of my favorite players on this team.

zulater
09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Add to your list.

Stud.

Big Ben. Yeah I know about the turnovers, but he's an elite qb and played as such on all but 3-4 downs the entire game. This without any help whatsoever from the running game, a very sporadic line, two crucial 3rd down drops on perfectly thrown balls that likely cost the Steelers 11 offensive points and a ton of momentum, and several drive altering penalties.

He was the Steelers best player on the field. With ordinary quarterbacking we lose that game by double digits.

Heath Miller. Despite a few missed blocks, his overall contribution was strong. Some critical 3rd down catches.

Mewelde Moore. I don't care if he only played 8-10 snaps for the entire game, he made 4 huge plays in that time, and had a huge impact on the win.

Dud.
Maurkice Pouncey. Perhaps the ankle is still bothering him? Don't get me wrong, I love Pouncey, but he had a subpar game, and had something to do with our total lack of a running game.

Emanuel Sanders. Crucial drop off a perfect 3rd down pass that cost the Steelers first and goal at the 6. Instead the steelers had to settle for a fg. Then on Ben's overthrow interception, instead of taking aim at the interceptor, and touching him down, he went to great effort to leap clear of said defender, costing the Steelers over 30 yards of field position in the process.

Casey Hampton. Talk about getting old overnight. Or it sure looks that way, I hope it's just Casey playing his way into shape.

polamalubeast
09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
for the colts

STUDS

Freeney/Mathis

DUBS

Painter/Collins

zulater
09-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Antonio Brown is another to add to the stud list. Not only did he make some nice catches in traffic, his punt returns were a huge plus too.

zulater
09-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Farrior was terrible on the Colts touchdown drive. No speed, taking terrible angles, should have stopped Addai in his tracks on the touchdown. Also deserved a personal foul flag for hitting Addai out of bounds.

shutdown
09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Add to your list.

Stud.

Big Ben. Yeah I know about the turnovers, but he's an elite qb and played as such on all but two downs the entire game. this without any help whatsoever from the running game, a very sporadic line, and two crucial 3rd down drops on perfectly thrown balls that likely cost the Steelers 11 offensive points and a ton of momentum.

He was the Steelers best player on the field. With ordinary quarterbacking we lose that game by double digits.

Heath Miller. Despite a few missed blocks, his overall contribution was strong. Some critical 3rd down catches.

Mewelde Moore. I don't care if he only played 8-10 snaps for the entire game, he made 4 huge plays in that time, and had a huge impact on the win.

Dud.
Maurkice Pouncey. Perhaps the ankle is still bothering him? Don't get me wrong, I love Pouncey, but he had a subpar game, and had something to do with our total lack of a running game.

Emanuel Sanders. Crucial drop off a perfect 3rd down pass that cost the Steelers first and goal at the 6. Instead the steelers had to settle for a fg. Then on Ben's overthrow interception, instead of taking aim at the interceptor, and touching him down, he went to great effort to leap clear of said defender, costing the Steelers over 30 yards of field position in the process.

Casey Hampton. Talk about getting old overnight. Or it sure looks that way, I hope it's just Casey playing his way into shape.

As mentioned before my list is only top 3 for each.

Casey Hampton actually had a strong game vs. the Colts believe it or not. He registered two pressures and two stops in the game which is above what he normally provides.

I agree with Pouncey, he is not living upto the hype this season. He's been pretty average for the most part but really struggled playing the run this week.

zulater
09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Three plays out of 50 snaps doesn't make for a good game, I stand by the statement that Hampton's play was below the line. His job is to occupy blockers and pave the way for the ILB'ers. He rarely accomplished that. He was being blocked man up most of the game.

shutdown
09-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Hampton only played 24 snaps against the Colts. When analyzed for each of those individual 24 defensive snaps he played he ranked positive numbers in both pass defense and rushing defense.

:noidea:

JayC
09-28-2011, 03:51 PM
scott and gay seem to always be on these lists. if only the coaches read this message board they might have been replaced them by now

suitanim
09-28-2011, 04:09 PM
The colts had exactly one drive worth a bucket of warm piss. Even that was mostly comprised of two longish completions. Gay was responsible for at least one of those.

zulater
09-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Hampton only played 24 snaps against the Colts. When analyzed for each of those individual 24 defensive snaps he played he ranked positive numbers in both pass defense and rushing defense.

:noidea:

Watching the game again, I saw him being handled rather easily by Jeff Saturday man up, on most every snap he played.

zulater
09-28-2011, 04:18 PM
The colts had exactly one drive worth a bucket of warm piss. Even that was mostly comprised of two longish completions. Gay was responsible for at least one of those.

Despite the Steelers dominating time of possession the Colts ran the ball "downhill" in the 4th quarter with no legitimate passing game to fear. The surge they were getting off the ball on that final series should put shivers in us all.

Count Steeler
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
scott and gay seem to always be on these lists. if only the coaches read this message board they might have been replaced them by now

Well obviously we don't know football or else we would appreciate the coaches for being so patient with Gay and Scott. They will turn out to be Pro Bowlers, just wait and see. :sarcasm:

shutdown
09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
This is only the first time Gay has made the list. ;)

Last week it was Lewis.