PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach is seeing some improvements

stillers4me
09-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday there were some encouraging signs that the Steelers are progressing in several areas.

He was most pleased with the performance of the special teams. Antonio Brown returned four points for 67 yards, including a 37-yarder.

"I saw some exciting things in special teams," Tomlin said. "The important thing is we're able to win games as we go through this process. It doesn't mean the quality of our performance last week will produce anything this week.".......

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_759035.html

zulater
09-28-2011, 05:46 AM
One area Tomlin needs to improve is his challenges. This last game he didn't use any, but there were 2 3rd down plays where the Colts were given a generous spot, whereas a challenge almost certainly would have given the Colts a 4th down and a hard decision rather than the first down they were awarded.

GBMelBlount
09-28-2011, 06:25 AM
One area Tomlin needs to improve is his challenges. This last game he didn't use any, but there were 2 3rd down plays where the Colts were given a generous spot, whereas a challenge almost certainly would have given the Colts a 4th down and a hard decision rather than the first down they were awarded.

Absolutely. I said the exact same thing to my wife after that play about challenging more in general.

suitanim
09-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Challenges aren't terrible things that they are often made out to be. Since they only cost a timeout (and less if they are correct challenges), sometimes it's not a bad idea to throw the red flag even if you're not sure you're going to win. For instance, if a team comes out in a no-huddle, gets in a rhythm and starts driving down the field against you, if they are in at approaching the redzone and there is a questionable call, I'd toss the red flag just to give your D a chance to regroup. You know the officials are incapable of considering even the most obvious challenge in less than 5 minutes, so it's a good opportunity to attempt to break a teams momentum.

tube517
09-28-2011, 10:25 AM

This is the area that Tomlin is weak. Or the people upstairs that tell him/don't tell him to challenge. Seems like he gets bad info upstairs.