PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Big money, but few big plays

stillers4me
09-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Those weren't forced smiles in the Steelers' locker room late Sunday night in Indianapolis. To a man, the players sounded sincere. They really, honestly, truly took no issue with beating the bottom-feeding Colts by a field goal.

And that's fine. They were just following the primary talking point Mike Tomlin had pounded minutes after that 23-20 victory, and any coach who denigrates victories tends to be speechless after actual losses. Tomlin had every right to say, "We don't care how it looks," in that setting.

But let's leave it there.............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/s_759056.html

Count Steeler
09-28-2011, 05:35 AM
I think in general the defence has been less aggressive. Troy only became Troy again in the 4th quarter at Indy. I hope Papa has just been going slow, getting these guys in shape. He has to dial up the pressure, especially this week. If Schaub has time to throw, it is going to get ugly.

zulater
09-28-2011, 06:17 AM
I think in general the defence has been less aggressive. Troy only became Troy again in the 4th quarter at Indy. I hope Papa has just been going slow, getting these guys in shape. He has to dial up the pressure, especially this week. If Schaub has time to throw, it is going to get ugly.

Troy was flying around the whole game.

The Duke
09-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Can't really complain about the defense the last two games, overall a shutout and a fumble returned for touchdown that basically won the game

but they have got to dial up pressure against Shaub no matter what. That will be the key to the game, so Woodley better start earning that paycheck

the texans are new to the 3-4 business. Show them how it's truly done Dick!

suitanim
09-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Troy was flying around the whole game.

Speaking of, on the play where he opted to attack the QB instead of the Addai, I think that's, at WORST, holding the Colts to 3 instead of 7, and at BEST, a strip and 94 yard fumble recovery for TD for Troy (which would have been his second of the game).

SteelMember
09-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I agree with the article as it pertains to Woodley. He is better than he has been playing recently. He needs to get it going and become the force he can be.

As far as Timmons, I just think he has not been getting the opportunities to pass rush. That, and the fact the whole Farrior/Foote platoon thing isn't really working. Yes, Every player wants to see the field, but I don't think Farriors' giving up that much to put Foote out there as much as they have been. Pass coverage certainly can't be the reason. It's almost a wash, imo so I'd rather have Farrior and his leadership out there. Foote's getting a pretty nice paycheck to be the backup, but that's what he is, imo... a backup.

Steeldude
09-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Woodley replied. "Even though I didn't get any sacks, I still played a good game. I know people are always going to look at the sacks, but we did a good job overall containing them."

i couldn't care less about his sacks. this is what fools so many fans when it comes to woodley. i want to see woodley all over the field like i see harrison do. harrison is 33 and just had two back surgeries, but he is still fighting and scrapping to make plays. shouldn't woodley be the main force now with his new(absurd) contract? what will happen is woodley will get a sack next week, with little else, and fans will be saying how he is a god. i want to see some consistency and mayhem from woodley.

also, woodley is playing as he always does. why are fans just now noticing?

suitanim
09-28-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't understand this fascination with trashing out our defense.

1st Quarter the Colts did absolutely nothing
2nd Qtr Sack/Fumble of Ben gave the Colts the ball at the 50. They had to settle for a FG
The Colts defense scored to tie it at 10, then Ben threw a pick that was returned to the 25 and they tacked on more yards for a penalty. The Colts had the ball at the Steelers 15, and the Steelers held AGAIN for just a FG
3rd Qtr Colts did nothing again
4th Qtr The Steelers gave up the only drive worth a shit in the whole game, and even that was only because of two big catches that kept the drive alive. Had Troy tackled Addai instead of Painter, things would have been dramatically different.

Essentially, take away short field and scores off turnovers, and the Steelers won this game 23-7. Their QB's were 18-40 (45%) for 153 yards, and we held their RB's to 97 yards on 21 carries. The Colts are NOT a good team offensively, but they are getting better. Their running game is decent. We basically shut these guys down for 57 minutes.

Our OFFENSE is what's killing us.

BigNastyDefense
09-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I think part of Woodley's ineffectiveness has been the fact that Aaron Smith blocks on his side, and Smith just isn't getting the job done in that department. It's to the point where Wood is getting double teamed at times.

If Keisel plays this week, Hood needs to be on the other side. He can't play any worse than Smith and can play much better. I would also like to see Heywood in there, be it he's subbing for Smith because Hood is starting in place of an injured Keisel or subbing Keisel because Hood is starting over Smith. Heywood needs snaps, keeps guys fresh.

This week, the Steelers need to blitz the shit out of Shuab, he's not that good under pressure. This is their first year in a 3-4 defense....I think the Steelers should show them a lesson on the field Sunday!

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I think part of Woodley's ineffectiveness has been the fact that Aaron Smith blocks on his side, and Smith just isn't getting the job done in that department. It's to the point where Wood is getting double teamed at times.

If Keisel plays this week, Hood needs to be on the other side. He can't play any worse than Smith and can play much better. I would also like to see Heywood in there, be it he's subbing for Smith because Hood is starting in place of an injured Keisel or subbing Keisel because Hood is starting over Smith. Heywood needs snaps, keeps guys fresh.

This is what I've been saying. I really like Aaron, but it's time for Ziggy to be the starter.

BTW, that's 'Heyward', not 'Heywood'.

zulater
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't understand this fascination with trashing out our defense.

1st Quarter the Colts did absolutely nothing
2nd Qtr Sack/Fumble of Ben gave the Colts the ball at the 50. They had to settle for a FG
The Colts defense scored to tie it at 10, then Ben threw a pick that was returned to the 25 and they tacked on more yards for a penalty. The Colts had the ball at the Steelers 15, and the Steelers held AGAIN for just a FG
3rd Qtr Colts did nothing again
4th Qtr The Steelers gave up the only drive worth a shit in the whole game, and even that was only because of two big catches that kept the drive alive. Had Troy tackled Addai instead of Painter, things would have been dramatically different.

Essentially, take away short field and scores off turnovers, and the Steelers won this game 23-7. Their QB's were 18-40 (45%) for 153 yards, and we held their RB's to 97 yards on 21 carries. The Colts are NOT a good team offensively, but they are getting better. Their running game is decent. We basically shut these guys down for 57 minutes.

Our OFFENSE is what's killing us.

Our offensive line is what's killing us.

If we could trade o-lines with the Browns we'd put up over 30 points every week.

Edman
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
I can't believe people are still shitting on the Defense. Defense is not the problem, and it's not going to be dominant all the time, but it's been solid after the Ravens game. Could some players like Woodley and Timmons play better? Of course, but the Defense has been doing it's job. It's not going out of it's way to blow games.

No, forget "it's just the O-Line", it really IS the Steelers Offense that is blowing it. We all know about the offensive O-Line, but how about shifting some blame on Roethlisturnover and Bumblehall?

suitanim
09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Look at the improvements Harrison has made in just a few weeks. He looks dominant again.

The Duke
09-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Look at the improvements Harrison has made in just a few weeks. He looks dominant again.

yup, he certainly did not look like a man coming off two back surgeries

though the fear of him aggravating it still looms in my heard

BigNastyDefense
09-28-2011, 07:23 PM
This is what I've been saying. I really like Aaron, but it's time for Ziggy to be the starter.

BTW, that's 'Heyward', not 'Heywood'.

Yeah, I know it's Heyward, I was typing his name and thinking about Woodley.

Steeldude
09-29-2011, 11:04 AM

interesting view, but harrison gets double/tripled and seems to keep producing(bad back too). you put harrison on smith's side and he will probably be more of a terror. woodley got his absurd raise it's time to earn it.