PDA

View Full Version : Enough Is Enough: Offense Needs New Gameplan

Mach1
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Since his hiring in 2007, I rarely criticized Steelers' offensive coordinator Bruce Arians for his game planning and play calling. Even when the offense sputtered and the playcalling seemed questionable, you could always point to execution as a reason of fault. After Sunday night's game against the Colts, enough is enough.

The Steelers faced a rushing defense which had been terrible for the better part of the last two decades. Yet, Sunday night, Pittsburgh came out throwing and became one dimensional from start to finish. Consequently, the Colts teed off on a bad offensive line who was protecting a quarterback with a high tendency to hold onto the ball too long. While that offensive strategy worked in the first quarter, by the end of the first half, the Steelers had turned the ball over three times leading to 13 points for the Colts.

When the Steelers did try to run, they pulled guards, tight ends, wide receivers and just about anything else they could get their hands on. Why is this a bad idea?.............

read more @
http://sportstalk.triblive.com/content/enough-enough-offense-needs-new-gameplan-jon-pennline

Count Steeler
09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Release J Scott. Make sure the FO has their head out of their collective cubicles and GET SOME O LINE HELP!!!!

Sorry the FO does a great job in most areas, which makes me even more dumbfounded as to why we continue to risk the health of our star QB with, what amounts to not much more than, pylons. Sorry Pouncey, but 1 good apple does not save this sorry bunch.

Release J Scott.

fansince'76
09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
With a defense so fast and athletic, they are also extremely light. A power run game would tire out the defense, especially when you know their offense will be held in check.

With an OL that gets ZERO push against ANYONE. Yep, that woulda made a big difference, alright.

suitanim
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
The Colts came out with 8 in the box, planning to stop the run...guessing that the Steelers watched the film of the Browns game. The Steelers exploited that by throwing the ball. Remember, the first few possessions we moved the ball by passing it. HOWEVER, the pass rush was eventually more than our oline could stand. Then the oline just crumbled.

I wonder, what SHOULD be this "solid game plan"? The Colts are still a good, solid physical team, and they are still faster and better along the line than our Olinemen. Lining up and jamming the ball right into the teeth of what they are trying to stop would not have worked.

What we have here is a perfect example of what Preach was saying earlier in the year: "Dangit, Arians, you should have passed the ball" when we run. "dammit, Arians, you should have run the ball" when we pass". etc, etc...

NEITHER works when your offensive line is in shambles. The only possible benefit to 3 yards, a cloud of dust, and 27 punts would have been to perhaps eat up a tiny bit more clock. However, we already held a HUGE 34-26 minute TOP lead.

One other note. Even though Ben wasn't at his very best, he DID pass for 364 yards. He also completed 68% of his passes. His stumbles were due to the OL.

X-Terminator
09-27-2011, 04:59 PM
With an OL that gets ZERO push against ANYONE. Yep, that woulda made a big difference, alright.

This. Right here. It's amazing to me how everyone can complain about how bad the OL is, yet wonder why the offense struggles. It's easy to just heap all of the blame on Arians.

Having said that, I have my own issues with BA, such as his frustrating and stubborn insistence on not using a fullback in the offense. Even with a terrible OL, a good lead-blocking FB can at least open up a crack here and there. And I agree with the author that a quick passing attack is absolutely necessary this Sunday against the Texans. Deep drops and slow-developing plays will not work against that front 7.

shutdown
09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Who says its the FO?

Tomlin said it himself that even if he hit the FA market it would only be for practice purposes only. That is him saying he is content with the staff he has. I don't think it's the FO making him say that.

Tomlin hasn't been shy in disagreeing with the FO so I think if he had a problem he'd show it. After all he's the one to benched Maxipad when the FO kept him around.

Craic
09-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I have to wonder if it isn't something even deeper than the O line/coaching.

Tell me, why is it that our oline has had so many people with problems over the last few years? Starting in 2003, I think we have had at least 1 or 2 O line players lost every year to season ending injury.

Is this a conditioning issue? Is it a physical preparation issue? Honestly, how much of our problem comes from injuries EVERY single year?

Moose
09-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Maybe what everyone has been saying about the steeler's being 'old and slow' is true after all. The vet's we have aren't getting it done anymore, and the rookies aren't any good. That's not what I totally believe, but I do see some signs. Why haven't we created any turnovers ? Harrison, ( other than Indy game) doesn't seem to be getting it done. They don't have him rushing the QB like in the past....why ? Our tackling stinks....arm tackles just don't stop anyone. And our CB's cushion is stupid in my book. Maybe it might work if they would tackle eventually, but usually you see McFadden or Gay just running with them for 20 yrds trying to push them out of bounds....of course this is all after the team picked up another 1st down on a 3rd and long play. Our offensive line is definitely the 'turnstyle' as someone noted in another thread. They can't stop anybody from coming thru the line. And as in the Indy game, it looks like the teams all have our play book. They just seem to know when to blitze Ben and when it's going to be a running play. Change the play book could work. I think bringing in Redman more and using Moore more may work. Heath seems to help alot, but he's not thrown to either. Geesh, I hope this team has a break out game soon.....I know it's only the beginning of the season, but I would like to sit back and watch the Black/Yellow play some good 'ole Steeler football 75% of the season...and into the play-offs !! GO STEELER'S

Psycho Ward 86
09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
pound the ball to make them tired? Arians CLEARLY tried to establish the run, it was most definitely the O-line who should be getting the blame

O'Malley
09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
It was the third game of the year... there was a lock ut. Rookies didn't get reps, vets didn't get reps... Nobody is in game shape... There's 13 games left... Plenty of room for improvement... I would rather play this way in the begining of the season then the end.... We're 2-1.... It could be much worse... Everybody acts like the sky is falling after a win.. Remember this, Peyton was in the booth for the first time this year.. I bet he not only called plays for the O but helped call plays for the D... The Colts are only missing Peyton and still are a damn good team... Houston will be a test, but IMO we will pass that test and everybodies going to be singing a different tune.. The O-Line is bad, but the ones who got injured are the ones I would rather see on the sideline... There were holes to run on Sunday but Rashard was not hitting them... It will get better and IMO we will peak at the right time and be playing Steelers football when we need too....

Count Steeler
09-27-2011, 06:38 PM
1) Release J Scott!
2) Bench Sanders this game and play Cotchery
3) Bench Mendenhall this game and suit Dwyer. Redman starts, rotate Dwyer and Moore as needed.
4) Fire everyone in the Steelers organization that defends THIS O Line, especially if Ben gets seriously injured. I mean we have a serious blind spot here. 1 maybe 2 seasons OK, but we have a chronic problem on the O Line and it is not going away any time soon.
5) Start Hood and Hayward. Keisel when he gets healthy. Oops, this is only about the offense.
6) Release J. Scott!

Psycho Ward 86
09-27-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLaX8UvVUQw

:chuckle:

BigNastyDefense
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM
First, the problem isn't with Arians and his play calling. If you don't even attempt to run the football, you won't be able to keep the defense honest. But with MOST people, the plays that work are the one that Ben calls and the ones that don't work Arians must have called it cannot be any other way. I agree that we should have a true FB in there, but this isn't the Cowher era anymore and if Tomlin felt it was needed, we'd have one out there.

The problem is the offensive line, plain and simple. They can't pass block, they can't run block. Until these guys "gel," or we sit some of them (Scott, Legursky), the offense isn't going to get too much better.

Part of the problem with the offensive line is how good this team has been over the years since Ben Roethlisberger became quarterback. Teams prefer to draft offensive linemen and develop them. It's not often a big time tackle gets on the free agent market, when they do they want a ton of money that the Steelers honestly won't (and can't with the cap space or lack thereof) pay the free agents....or the FA is old and out of shape. The Steelers haven't been in position to draft a stud tackle because they are normally picking the the last fifteen picks.

Spike
09-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Ben will never let you take his pet hamster Arians

ALLD
09-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Bring back Marvel Smith!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2011, 12:19 AM
This offense has never been built to run or put emphasis on it. It's the same offense Arians had in Cleveland with no fullback and a lot of empty sets. With no emphasis on the run you get mediocre run blocking. The line did a good job the first half and the ball was moved by the pass. Legursky, Gilbert and David Johnson missed some key blocks that blew things up.

Why is nobody asking why the best blocking tight end in the NFL isn't being used much? Should see Miller and his skills used with Johnson in motion, rather than running Mendenhall into a line where The RG is getting blown up and the rookie RT is missing assignments.

SteelGhost
09-28-2011, 12:46 AM
The sky is not falling, BUT our O line is, I HOPE the FO do something fast, beginning by getting Ben's blind side safe. I'm a "half full glass" guy, but this OL is killing me !

Austin87
09-28-2011, 04:11 AM
David Johnson's play so far this season has been crappy to say the least. I wonder if Lousaka Polite is still a FA? I wouldn't mind having him in place of Johnson or Saunders. Alge Crumpler is still out there as well. All we ask our 2nd TE to do is block, why not sign the best blocking free agent TE out there?