PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line of Steelers struggles vs. Colts

stillers4me
09-27-2011, 06:44 AM
It probably wouldn't do much good to point out to angst-ridden Steelers fans that on a rainy Sunday night, a storm of events ganged up on an embattled offensive line.

There were injuries, Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney playing like one of the leaders of a desperate team and showing why he is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

There were other timing issues as well — namely the Steelers having to use a silent snap count because of the crowd noise, negating the advantage offensive lines have over defenses by knowing exactly when to fire off the ball.

"Not trying to make excuses or anything, but they did do a lot of stunting inside," center Maurkice Pouncey said after the Steelers held off the Indianapolis Colts, 23-20, at Lucas Oil Stadium. "We'll learn from it and build on it in practice."............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_758855.html

stillers4me
09-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Continuity and help from the coaches in the form of adjustments should aid in the improvement of the offensive line.
And the situation up front will have to get a lot worse before the Steelers seriously consider going outside the organization to make it better
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/th_shootme.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/?action=view&current=shootme.gif)

suitanim
09-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Interesting. Piled up injuries, but we're still staying "in house"?

fansince'76
09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Continuity and help from the coaches in the form of adjustments should aid in the improvement of the offensive line.
And the situation up front will have to get a lot worse before the Steelers seriously consider going outside the organization to make it better....

Really? It can get worse than that abortion of a game Scott had Sunday night?

HollywoodSteel
09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
One option might be gone...

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/9/26/2451152/pittsburgh-steelers-news-offensiveline-max-starks-works-out-vikings

Spike
09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
The REAL title to article...

Everything is fine - Steelers have no plans to bring in outside OL help

Whatever answers the Steelers search for as they prepare to play the 2-1 Texans in Houston, they will do so from within.

Max Starks isn't returning to take over left tackle, a position he manned for the previous three seasons when healthy. Flozell Adams isn't coming back either, barring another major injury along the line, and money isn't a factor when it comes to going outside the organization.

And the situation up front will have to get a lot worse before the Steelers seriously consider going outside the organization to make it better.

Devilsdancefloor
09-27-2011, 11:15 AM
i so wish we still had urbik

GodfatherofSoul
09-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Could our rash of injury-prone o-linemen be based on technique or conditioning? One year's a coincidence, 2 years in a row is a trend. Now, Scott I can understand getting hurt since he's just standing around waiting to get rolled up on.

slippy
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
make that three years in a row. coach Kugler's last year in Buffalo was plagued with o line injuries.

86WARD
09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
No...they'll go with Foster and Essex for now...sigh....

zulater
09-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Stubborn to a fault. This situation begs to go outside the current roster for help.

If Ben goes down for the season, they've got no one but themselves to blame.

oneforthetoe
09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
No...they'll go with Foster and Essex for now...sigh....

I don't think that will be any worse than lasts weeks line-up situation. In fact, it might be a slight improvement.

So what happens if another OT gets hurt? Scott?

Chidi29
09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Could our rash of injury-prone o-linemen be based on technique or conditioning? One year's a coincidence, 2 years in a row is a trend. Now, Scott I can understand getting hurt since he's just standing around waiting to get rolled up on.

You might be onto something. Tomlin mentioned conditioning last week as a possible issue for second half woes. With the lockout, guys are still feeling the effects I'm sure. And to be honest, our pass blocking at least wasn't that bad iin the first half. Didn't seem to really hit the fan until the second half. The fact the Colts rotate Freeney and Mathis helps them too.

Chidi29
09-27-2011, 01:48 PM
There is way too much miscommunication going on with this team. No matter who is on the offensive line, if just one guy isn't on the same page, the whole thing blows up.

That is exactly what happened on Anderson's fumble return for a touchdown. Complete miscommunication on the left side of the line. They thought ti was a draw when Ben checked out of it to a pass.

SteelerFanInStl
09-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Stubborn to a fault. This situation begs to go outside the current roster for help.

If Ben goes down for the season, they've got no one but themselves to blame.

Agreed. This is the kind of thing that pisses me off.

86WARD
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
And last week was the worst I've seen in a very long time IMO.

SteelMember
09-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Now, Scott I can understand getting hurt since he's just standing around waiting to get rolled up on.

What. You didn't think his stumbling spin move to counter Freeny's was a good answer. :faint:

Chidi29
09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
What. You didn't think his stumbling spin move to counter Freeny's was a good answer. :faint:

It is a very difficult thing to counter because you have no idea when it's coming. All you get speed rush over and over again and you start cheating to the outside. Then when Freeney gets a one on one block, he pulls off the spin. Tough for any tackle to defend much less Jonathan Scott.

zulater
09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
It is a very difficult thing to counter because you have no idea when it's coming. All you get speed rush over and over again and you start cheating to the outside. Then when Freeney gets a one on one block, he pulls off the spin. Tough for any tackle to defend much less Jonathan Scott.

So the Colts have an elite defense all of a sudden? Funny how it didn't show so much in the first two games.

zulater
09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
There is way too much miscommunication going on with this team. No matter who is on the offensive line, if just one guy isn't on the same page, the whole thing blows up.

That is exactly what happened on Anderson's fumble return for a touchdown. Complete miscommunication on the left side of the line. They thought ti was a draw when Ben checked out of it to a pass.

I could see if it was from the right side of the line, given the rookie starter, but with Kemo and Scott, two guys that have been starting that shouldn't have happened. Kemo reamains an idiot. the Steelers were better with Foster playing left guard. And Scott simply can't play.

Chidi29
09-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I could see if it was from the right side of the line, given the rookie starter, but with Kemo and Scott, two guys that have been starting that shouldn't have happened. Kemo reamains an idiot. the Steelers were better with Foster playing left guard. And Scott simply can't play.

Indy is a very tough place to play, I'll say that much. It's tough to know exactly who is to fault, but I always point back to the QB. He has to make sure everyone is on the same page. And it wasn't just one guy who screwed up. It was the whole left side of the line that missed the call. Something really went haywire.

zulater
09-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Indy is a very tough place to play, I'll say that much. It's tough to know exactly who is to fault, but I always point back to the QB. He has to make sure everyone is on the same page. And it wasn't just one guy who screwed up. It was the whole left side of the line that missed the call. Something really went haywire.

Funny how there were no brain farts from the left guard the previous game? I know that game was at home, but Kemo's usually good for at least one or two missed assignments a game regardless of venue.

Chidi29
09-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Funny how there were no brain farts from the left guard the previous game? I know that game was at home, but Kemo's usually good for at least one or two missed assignments a game regardless of venue.

It was also at home against a team we were blowing out. Much easier to hear the calls.

salamander
09-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Our o-line sucks. There's your analysis. :lol:

tube517
09-27-2011, 03:05 PM

They always have trouble in Indy. I remember that 2005 MNF game and Ben couldn't do anything right. They adjusted in the playoffs of course and jumped out to a lead, they barely held onto. Of course, they had a good OL that year too.

SteelMember
09-27-2011, 04:02 PM

I know Freeney is good. No doubt, but Scott was pwned all day. His bull rush put Scott in Ben's lap, and the spin move counter was almost comical... almost. Even the announcer made the point that Freeney hasn't used the spin move too much this year because of the pain of an injury. Looked fine to me against that competition... if you want to call it that. All that on top of the fact that the guy (single handedly) now probably leads the league in penalties. That's a (3) game total, not just this one.

I guess we'll be ok against teams with a shitty pass rush. :doh:

Just another reason why the win vs. Seattle wasn't a very good litmus test for our O.

Psycho Ward 86
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM

lol, what the hell kind of starting left tackle spins WITH a defensive end while theyre doing a spin move. what a tardo, scott needs to stay square and stop playing simon says.

fansince'76
09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I know Freeney is good. No doubt, but Scott was pwned all day. His bull rush put Scott in Ben's lap, and the spin move counter was almost comical... almost. Even the announcer made the point that Freeney hasn't used the spin move too much this year because of the pain of an injury. Looked fine to me against that competition... if you want to call it that. All that on top of the fact that the guy (single handedly) now probably leads the league in penalties. That's a (3) game total, not just this one.

I don't think I've seen ownage of an offensive lineman on that level since Winston Justice gave up six sacks to Umenyiora a few years ago. At least Justice had the excuse of it being his very first NFL game. And the Eagles aren't starting Justice either.

Count Steeler
09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Really? It can get worse than that abortion of a game Scott had Sunday night?

Pretty scary thought isn't it. Why are we happy with the personnel on the O Line? At least we are not talking about the CBs this week. :chuckle:

Chidi29
09-27-2011, 08:02 PM

I guess we'll be ok against teams with a shitty pass rush. :doh:

Just another reason why the win vs. Seattle wasn't a very good litmus test for our O.

Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in the "Jonathan Scott sucks" camp.

But it was a difficult matchup and even tougher when you're facing him one on one.

Shoes
09-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Seems like everyone thinks the same about Scott except Tomlin. He said if he can play this week he'll start. I can't understand this thinking at all.

Count Steeler
09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Seem like everyone thinks the same about Scott except Tomlin. He said if he can play this week he'll start. I can't understand this thinking at all.

Stubborn is as stubborn does. I hope we don't pay the price with an injury to Ben. I do not agree with this at all.

zulater
09-27-2011, 09:02 PM
I've rewatched the entire first quarter of the game, and the two that have stood out in a bad way so far in getting running plays blown up before they could get properly started, is one on Legurskey, totally whiffed on what otherwise would have been a big gainer, but instead went for 5 by Mendy. And 85 David Johnson had two terrible misses, one accounted for a 3 yard loss, and the other no gain. .

SteelerEmpire
09-27-2011, 09:20 PM
The O-line has played bad in the past, but they took it to a new level Sunday night. NOW their in a crisis state !

Count Steeler
09-27-2011, 09:26 PM
I think they should dress Ashley. No way is she going to let anyone get to Ben.

Actually, Ashley can be the LT and siss can be the RT.

zulater
09-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Even Pouncey had a couple bad missed blocks that ended up getting Mendy stuffed at the line. On a couple running plays right before the strip sack td by Freeney, Pouncey missed his man badly.

NCSteeler
09-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in the "Jonathan Scott sucks" camp.

But it was a difficult matchup and even tougher when you're facing him one on one.

A good coach might have had a TE chipping in on that side all night, huh?

zulater
09-28-2011, 04:41 AM

In the first half they did that quite a bit, usually to good results.

zulater
09-28-2011, 05:05 AM
I wonder why the Steelers place so little emphasis on the left tackle position? I mean how can going into a season with Jonathan Scott be considered a good plan? And now it looks as if we'll start Trai Essex there against Houston. Trai is in the twilight of a mediocre career and hasn't started a game at tackle since 2008.Great plan there.:nervous:

zulater
09-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Something Michele Tofoya said coming out of halftime I found interesting, her quoting Mike Tomlin: Asked about his (first half) running game Tomlin said as per Tofoya "look we're not going to make any adjustments there, I thought we were getting it going there late in the second quarter, we'll stick to that."

Really? I guess that explains a lot, if you wont acknowledge something's broke I suppose you can't be expected to make an effort to fix it.

Well coach it's broke, better start figuring out where it's going wrong, otherwise it's only going to be more of the same.

steelerdude15
09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Bottom line, our offensive line is one of the reasons why we'll never had an elite offense.

Chidi29
09-28-2011, 11:08 AM

And we did, a lot. But because it is the typical weakside and because you can't always be in 2 TE sets, it is a very difficult situation.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2011, 11:55 AM
I've rewatched the entire first quarter of the game, and the two that have stood out in a bad way so far in getting running plays blown up before they could get properly started, is one on Legurskey, totally whiffed on what otherwise would have been a big gainer, but instead went for 5 by Mendy. And 85 David Johnson had two terrible misses, one accounted for a 3 yard loss, and the other no gain. .

Me Too. I actually thought that the Steelers played well the first quarter. There was also a play where Gilbert completely lost his block to the inside and the play got stuffed, but I also saw the same 2 misses that you did.

The fact that Foster was blowing up Legursky most of the game was not really surprising. I think Foster gives us a better chance in there.