PDA

View Full Version : The Bubble Screen

BlastFurnace
09-26-2011, 02:43 PM
I cringe every single time the Steelers run that play. Last night, a DB came within a step of picking one off. Not to mention, does it work that often? Is this our substitution for a running game since our O'line can't block anything for our RB's?

SteelerFanInStl
09-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Me too. Hate it!

polamalubeast
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Really hate the play

suitanim
09-26-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't. It sets other things up.

However, it's not a great play to run when the team you play is small and fast AND the DB's are cheating back up. It didn't work yesterday mostly because of missed blocks.

Psycho Ward 86
09-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Is this our substitution for a running game since our O'line can't block anything for our RB's?

that's exactly what it is. Hell, our o-line is so bad Ben even got nailed throwing a screen pass against the Seahawks. We were fortunate to get some of those vertical passes off, like that 81 yard TD to Wallace. Our best option imo is to work that short passing game a bit like we did against the Eagles in the preseason.

Merchant
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM

However, it's not a great play to run when the team you play is small and fast AND the DB's are cheating back up. It didn't work yesterday mostly because of missed blocks.

When has that play ever worked in a game consistently? It seems like Arians calls it 5-7 times a game and it goes for an average of 2 yards each time.

The WH
09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
When has that play ever worked in a game consistently? It seems like Arians calls it 5-7 times a game and it goes for an average of 2 yards each time. as eluded to before, it keeps the defense honest to the short pass to try and open up the medium-long range.

I still hate the play though because every time they go to the side with I just worry that a DB will sniff it out and return it for 6 the other way.

The Duke
09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
The bubble screen is one of the few things I do hate about Arians

really haven't seen it work in quite a while

tube517
09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Ben needs to do some pump fakes and run some no huddle (which I thought they were going to use)

This offense needs to keep time of possession and give the defense a breather. The D isn't built to stay on the field for a long time and it showed in the 4th quarter.

86WARD
09-26-2011, 07:45 PM

Agree and then the fact that you run the play to the slowest receiver on the team...

VTsteel
09-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, how else are we supposed to get Hines his catches?

GBMelBlount
09-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Ben needs to do some pump fakes and run some no huddle (which I thought they were going to use)

This offense needs to keep time of possession and give the defense a breather. The D isn't built to stay on the field for a long time and it showed in the 4th quarter.

Nice post. Agree with every statement here.

Maybe they decided not to do the no huddle so it would look like there was more time between each sack and takeaway...

Godfather
09-26-2011, 09:29 PM
We need to sign Matt Forte this offseason. He can catch those short passes and make something out of them. And he has experience playing behind a terrible offensive line.

Devilsdancefloor
09-26-2011, 10:37 PM
the bubble screen doesnt bother me as much as that damn delayed draw

GodfatherofSoul
09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
I love draws when you call them at the right time; seems to be when the defense is playing off the line or spread out. Running a draw and hoping to guess opposite the blitz or pressure just sucks.

BigNastyDefense
09-26-2011, 11:41 PM
The draw works when you spread a team out and your offensive line can blow open some holes. We can spread out wide, but there will be a defensive lineman in the backfield to sack Ben, tackle the back in the backfield, or cause a fumble on the exchange.

I don't mind the bubble screens when you throw them to one of the Young Money Crew because they are fast as hell and can break arm tackles. You can't throw them to Mendy or Redman because they aren't fast enough to be effective.

It would also help if the line could block long enough to set it up. Ben has to throw it way to early.

X-Terminator
09-27-2011, 01:50 AM
I have no problem with the bubble screen, provided that guys actually block and they don't throw it to the slow guy (sorry Hines).

fansince'76
09-27-2011, 02:18 AM
I have no problem with the bubble screen, provided that guys actually block and they don't throw it to the slow guy (sorry Hines).

They're gonna get Hines to 1000 receptions come hell or high water.

suitanim
09-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Hines gets those calls because he plays big and is tougher then most DB's. I still think the play isn't working like it should because the other WR's aren't blocking their assignments correctly.

Anyway, the reason you run it is to suck up DB's. Remember the play where Painter had a WR running wide open down the sideline and missed him? That was set up by him luring Ike into thinking he was going to be throwing short. It was a set-up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-27-2011, 07:54 AM
James Lofton commented on radio about the bubble screens the steelers were running. He seemed to like the idea of steelers using all their WR speed and quickness downfield instead of behind the line.

suitanim
09-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Obviously it's nice to stretch the field, but you can't rely 100% on low-percentage bombs. We aren't the Raiders.

Chidi29
09-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I really like it. It's usually good for at least a couple yards. Especially when the run game isn't working, getting even three yards on first down is huge. And if it doesn't work, you're getting the same amount - nothing - as we did when we tried to run the ball.

Plus, it has potential for big gains. On the play you mentioned where the DB tried to jump it, Wallace makes the catch and turns it into a big gain. He had one last week too.

tube517
09-27-2011, 03:16 PM
They're gonna get Hines to 1000 receptions come hell or high water.

Hines' 1000th catch will be a trick play where he throws the ball and (since the OL sucks), a defender will bat it back and Hines will catch the batted ball and gain 1 yard.

SteelMember
09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't mind the screens, although we tend to go to the well too many times. As referenced by DB's jumping the route's at times. The biggest thing there is the outside blocking. If you wiff on the 1 on 1's on the outside (Brown), it's not going anywhere. A quicker guy may make something out of nothing, but I seriously doubt that's how the coaches would like it to go.

zulater
09-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Bubble screens are fine, it's the overuse of them that's a problem.

86WARD
09-29-2011, 08:40 AM
You saying Arians is predictable?

zulater
09-29-2011, 08:42 AM
You saying Arians is predictable?

I'm not, the results might be though.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 10:12 AM
It's not like we run 12 of them a game.

(sigh) Nevermind. The reason the offense isn't clicking is Arians over-reliance on bubble screens, and has NOTHING to do with the OL. I'm sure if we run 0-1 bubble screens a game instead of 1-3, we'll rush for 150 yards, pass for 350 yards, and score 30 points a game.

Steeldude
09-29-2011, 11:20 AM
the problem is they don't block well for the bubble screen, but arians keeps calling it. as we all know the blind fans of arians will blame the players even if arians calls it 50 times a game. you put your players in a situation to succeed. if they can't block well for that particular play or if the defense up near the scrimmage then you shouldn't call it. also, why throw it to ward? he's better at blocking.

BlastFurnace
09-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I think we all know that Arians has his issues, but the bottom line problem of this offense is it's inability to pass protect and short yardage issues....that have been going on for quite some time now...is what hinders this offense more than Arians's play calling.

For the past several years, the team has invested $$$$ in the o'line, but they haven't invested the $$$$ in players that are any good on the o'line. Pouncey is a good start and who knows about Gilbert, the the rest of them have been below average beginning with the foolish signing of Kendall Simmons. That's why Pouncey was viewed like a UFO siting last year by the coaches and the fans...it had been so long since we had seen a good o'lineman that we were shocked to actually seen one again.

Additionally, the hybrid role that they keep trying to put David Johnson in is a disaster.

One thing is for certain, the only reason this team wins big is because of Ben. Yes, we can point to the games last year when Ben was out last year, but that was the exception rather than the rule. Any other QB that couldn't escape the rush and didn't have passing accuracy while doing so, would get killed in this offense.

Chidi29
09-29-2011, 11:48 AM
the problem is they don't block well for the bubble screen, but arians keeps calling it. as we all know the blind fans of arians will blame the players even if arians calls it 50 times a game. you put your players in a situation to succeed. if they can't block well for that particular play or if the defense up near the scrimmage then you shouldn't call it. also, why throw it to ward? he's better at blocking.

It does work a good amount of the time.

We throw it to everyone. Brown, Ward, Wallace. It's not just one guy.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
The bubble screen is now "the goat".

Funny, when the play works, no one seems to mind. Run the play a couple times when it doesn't, and suddenly it's the bane of the entire offense.

Anyway, I'm glad it's still in the arsenal, ESPECIALLY when they toss the ball to Wallace...

Steeldude
09-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Funny, when the play works, no one seems to mind. Run the play a couple times when it doesn't, and suddenly it's the bane of the entire offense.

Anyway, I'm glad it's still in the arsenal, ESPECIALLY when they toss the ball to Wallace...

who is saying or even implying it's "the goat"?

BlastFurnace
09-29-2011, 01:13 PM

No one said it's the goat. I think that some of us have some uneasiness about that play though.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 01:19 PM
How about this?

Is the bubble screen predictable?

Or is it "grab-bag"?

Since Arians is accused of both mutually exclusive sins each and every week, maybe we could establish a consensus on this one particular play?

86WARD
09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
It does work a good amount of the time.

We throw it to everyone. Brown, Ward, Wallace. It's not just one guy.

Throwing it to Ward is a bad play call. He no longer has the shiftiness and speed to get the gain that Sanders, Brown or Wallace gets. You see that on a weekly basis.

Chidi29
09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Throwing it to Ward is a bad play call. He no longer has the shiftiness and speed to get the gain that Sanders, Brown or Wallace gets. You see that on a weekly basis.

But he is a hard runner who is capable of picking up two yards even when guys miss their blocks.

Plus, spreading it around doesn't let the defense key in on one player.

Steeldude
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
How about this?

Is the bubble screen predictable?

Or is it "grab-bag"?

Since Arians is accused of both mutually exclusive sins each and every week, maybe we could establish a consensus on this one particular play?

how about this?

no matter what play is called it is always the fault of the players for not getting a TD on every possession. since the players are accused of failing to execute each week regardless of the play called. why don't the steelers just run the bubble screen on every play. if it doesn't result in a TD then it's entirely the fault of the players. why even have an HC, OC and DC? it's can never be their fault, right? if it's 4th and 5 and the OC decides to run it's the players' fault for not getting the 5. if the opposing team is 3rd and inches and the DC calls for a dime defense then....

suitanim
09-30-2011, 05:27 AM
how about this?

no matter what play is called it is always the fault of the players for not getting a TD on every possession. since the players are accused of failing to execute each week regardless of the play called. why don't the steelers just run the bubble screen on every play. if it doesn't result in a TD then it's entirely the fault of the players. why even have an HC, OC and DC? it's can never be their fault, right? if it's 4th and 5 and the OC decides to run it's the players' fault for not getting the 5. if the opposing team is 3rd and inches and the DC calls for a dime defense then....

Can't answer my question without going on another ridiculous whiny crybaby meltdown?

Or won't?

Because anyone outside looking in trying to gauge the Steelers based solely on YOUR posts would be left blaming Arians, Woodley and Kordell Stewart, since these are the same (and only) 3 things you whine about incessantly week in and week out.

Grab bag, or predictable. It can't be both.

86WARD
09-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Not all plays are designed to get a TD. Lol. Football Basics 101.

suitanim
09-30-2011, 09:56 AM

He was trying to be sarcastic. He's not real good at that, either...

Steeldude
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Can't answer my question without going on another ridiculous whiny crybaby meltdown?

Or won't?

Because anyone outside looking in trying to gauge the Steelers based solely on YOUR posts would be left blaming Arians, Woodley and Kordell Stewart, since these are the same (and only) 3 things you whine about incessantly week in and week out.

Grab bag, or predictable. It can't be both.

there you go again trolling...lol. it's predictable and grab bag. just like your trolling and tantrums. happy now? : ) now answer the questions i asked. i predict you will run and/or hide behind your usual insults.

based on your posts you blame everything on the players only. my posts blame players, FO and the coaches. we all get that you love arians and he can do no wrong. we all understand how you hypocritically attack opinions of other posters. ok? we get it.

don't forget that you think making kordell the starting QB for 5+ years was a great idea. where is hills? i thought you said he was the starting RG? hmmm...looks like i was right again. how can that be when you say i know nothing at all about football. the O-line is in shambles. hmmm...i predicted that too. according to you the starting D-line is young and getting better. how is that? because i said the opposite. since you say i know nothing of football then the opposite of what i say must be correct.

is arians a problem? IMO, yes
is woodley earning his paycheck? IMO, no
do you get upset and starting throwing a tantrum as a result of these opinions? yes. you behave like a spoiled, little brat. :grin: your parents shouldn't have spared the rod. :nono:

your problem is you take people's posts out of context so you can troll. you also exclude certain posts that do not fit into your trolling agenda. plus, you can't control your emotions on the internet. for that i feel sorry for you.

be sure to reply back with one of your bland, repetitive, insult-laden posts :chuckle:

Steeldude
10-04-2011, 07:35 PM

but all drives are supposed to result in a TD. so if they don't get a TD on each drive it's the fault of the players only. the coaches can never be blamed with the players. right?

fansince'76
10-04-2011, 08:25 PM
C'mon folks, please keep it respectful here.

suitanim
10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
He can't.

I blame the coaches, and just did yesterday. I blame the players, because the players, namely most on our offensive line, would not and could not start on probably 30 of the other 32 teams in the league (Pouncey is the only clear exception). "It all starts up front". Learn it. Live it. Love it. Opinions from third-tier "intellects" have no bearing on fundamental truths of football.

I never was a big fan of Kordell, and that was so long ago, and so many boards I posted on ago, how could grouchy even know WHAT my opinion was back then?

This is petulant childish nonsense from a kid who has a very rudimentary understanding of only the very basics of football. A three trick pony. Boring, tired and pointless.

I'm finally putting him on ignore...that won't stop the ignorance, but it will at least stop me from seeing it.

Steeldude
10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
He can't.

I blame the coaches, and just did yesterday. I blame the players, because the players, namely most on our offensive line, would not and could not start on probably 30 of the other 32 teams in the league (Pouncey is the only clear exception). "It all starts up front". Learn it. Live it. Love it. Opinions from third-tier "intellects" have no bearing on fundamental truths of football.

I never was a big fan of Kordell, and that was so long ago, and so many boards I posted on ago, how could grouchy even know WHAT my opinion was back then?

This is petulant childish nonsense from a kid who has a very rudimentary understanding of only the very basics of football. A three trick pony. Boring, tired and pointless.

I'm finally putting him on ignore...that won't stop the ignorance, but it will at least stop me from seeing it.

he can't? lol...who starts this crap? you. who obsesses over my posts? you. who constantly throws a tantrum? you.

as i said many times before, if you don't like my posts the don't read them. you are obviously obsessed with me. you need to get a life and stop trolling. now run along before i make you cry again.

just remember, you loved kordell as a QB. i know exactly what you think. you stated i know nothing of football. well i knew kordell was obviously not a QB, but since you say I know nothing it mean you thought he was great.

now a mod will step in because someone replied to your trolling and harassment...lol

86WARD
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
but all drives are supposed to result in a TD. so if they don't get a TD on each drive it's the fault of the players only. the coaches can never be blamed with the players. right?

True. But that's not what you said. Coaches can be blamed just as much as players. Anyone who doesn't believe that doesn't know football.

86WARD
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
He was trying to be sarcastic. He's not real good at that, either...

Lol...

Steeldude
10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Coaches can be blamed just as much as players. Anyone who doesn't believe that doesn't know football.

exactly. now tell that to suitanim :grin: